PDA

View Full Version : Woodstock 69!

NES2
08-17-2009, 11:56 PM
That's right, Woodstock. Three days of music and peace. And rain. And chaos. and traffic. Still, I think we can all agree it was awesome. 50,000 people gathered that weekend to listen to bands such as The Who, The Hendrix Experience, and Santana. The result: one awesome party. Now that the awesome event is finally getting a movie, it deserves a topic here as well.
Feel free to talk anything Woodstock, 60's, or hippies. I now leave you with a video of one of the greatest, Santana (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnamP4-M9ko).

Kardas the Great
08-18-2009, 12:26 AM
Wow, I had no clue santana played at woodstock! That's nice to know. I did love watching a video of hendrix's performance.

ReclusiveDemon
08-18-2009, 01:15 AM
Woodstock is a joke and sucks compared to the Isle of Wight Festival 1970.

NES2
08-18-2009, 12:20 PM
Woodstock wasn't a joke! But i do have to agree with you, Isle of Wight was awesome, especially becuase Jimi Hendrix played his version of All Along The Watchtower there.

Cucumber
08-18-2009, 04:21 PM
Woodstock wasn't a joke! But i do have to agree with you, Isle of Wight was awesome, especially becuase Jimi Hendrix played his version of All Along The Watchtower there.

He usually played that anywhere >__>

Vaughn
08-18-2009, 04:37 PM
The only thing I liked in Woodstock was Jimi Hendrix. That dude is awesome.

Kardas the Great
08-18-2009, 04:51 PM
Hendrix is like, the for father of all grunge bands. No Hendrix=no nirvana+no pearl jam= no grunge= which in turn equals no post grunge. Therefore, without Hendrix, most band to day wouldn't exist...:surp:

-Holland-
08-18-2009, 08:51 PM
He usually played that anywhere >__>

Yeah...I mean, everyone already knew the song because of Bob Dylan, and even Bob Dylan liked Hendrix's version...>_>

Orthar
08-19-2009, 05:11 PM
Hendrix is like, the for father of all grunge bands. No Hendrix=no nirvana+no pearl jam= no grunge= which in turn equals no post grunge. Therefore, without Hendrix, most band to day wouldn't exist...:surp:

You have no idea how funny this statement is.

Cucumber
08-19-2009, 06:28 PM

You do realize that Hendrix isn't grunge at all right?

Tombi
08-19-2009, 06:32 PM

What about bands that aren't grunge in any way, shape or form?

Kardas the Great
08-19-2009, 07:26 PM
You do realize that Hendrix isn't grunge at all right?

Hendrix did Psychedelic Rock, which you can easily hear in grunge. Grunge has influences of punk, Psychedelic, and anything opposite of 80's rock (:tongue:).

@PainKiller:
You have no idea how funny this statement is.

Your right, that was funny!

@Tombi: Your right, I might have gone a bit far as to say MOST bands. I should have said most hard rock bands, because I DO NOT don't see grunge in coldplay...:razz:

EDIT: Ha, that's all you gotz!... :P

Cucumber
08-21-2009, 04:59 PM
Whenever I listen to Nirvana or any other grunge band I don't hear any form of Psychedelic rock. Just saying.

Kardas the Great
08-21-2009, 07:11 PM
Well, you won't hear Psychedelic in smells like teen spirit, but in songs like heart shaped box and come as you are (these aren't the best examples, I know), you can hear that repetitiveness in that type of music. Two words can summarize grunge, simple and emotion. Grunge normally has a sort of "numbness" to it, while Psychedelic has that same effect.

Orthar
08-22-2009, 05:00 AM
You have got to be one of the most ill-advised members when it comes to music.

Cucumber
08-22-2009, 12:54 PM
Well, you won't hear Psychedelic in smells like teen spirit, but in songs like heart shaped box and come as you are (these aren't the best examples, I know), you can hear that repetitiveness in that type of music. Two words can summarize grunge, simple and emotion. Grunge normally has a sort of "numbness" to it, while Psychedelic has that same effect.

Psychedelic is actually not even simple at all. Hendrix has probably some of the most complex music out there as where Nirvana/Pearl Jam are loaded with straight up Power Chords. Alot of Psychedelic is very slow based and focuses on alot of different things compared to Grunge.

Kardas the Great
08-22-2009, 10:26 PM
However....

Soundgarden for instance, dabbled in both psychedelic and grunge, and was a key band in the grunge movement. Queens of the Stone Age also dabbled in grunge (this im not to sure of, though.) I believe. Also, stepping out side of the mechanics of it, The feel of the music is also similar. Listen to the slurred vocals of Kurt Cobain, Doesn't it sound like the slow, smooth vocals of hendrix (Right now I'm thinking of hey joe)? BTW, we are getting a little of topic, so we might want to bring this to PM, your choice.

Synester
08-23-2009, 12:51 AM
That's right, Woodstock. Three days of music and peace. And rain. And chaos. and traffic. Still, I think we can all agree it was awesome. 50,000 people gathered that weekend to listen to bands such as The Who, The Hendrix Experience, and Santana. The result: one awesome party. Now that the awesome event is finally getting a movie, it deserves a topic here as well.

Feel free to talk anything Woodstock, 60's, or hippies. I now leave you with a video of one of the greatest, Santana (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnamP4-M9ko).Lets not forget about everyone getting laid 8D