PDA

View Full Version : War of the Worlds

Shellshock
07-20-2005, 01:15 AM
Has anyone seen the movie War of the Worlds? I have, and it's awesome! The ending isn't that great though. It kinda leaves you hanging.

ElimN8
07-20-2005, 01:23 AM
I didn't like it. They hung on worthless aspects of the plot (half the movie was in the looney's basement), and the characters were flat-out boring. Not only that, but the only aspect that even resembled the orignial strory was the monologue at the beginning and end of the movie, and the use of the word "tripods" to describe the alien craft.

Visually it was great, but that doesn't count for much these days.

Crummie
07-20-2005, 02:28 AM
I agree with Nate, it was good, but the plot wasn't... A few things would have never happened...

Firstly, at the end of the movie, they can shoot down the Tripod because they saw birds landing on it. Everybody knows, birds would never land on something moving! That's just common sence.

Secondly, the aliens died because they weren't immune to the things we are? And aren't the aliens more intelligent than us? Then the aliens would have been smart enough to have vaccine for those little buggers!

Then, before they went to the crazy guy's basement, Robbie went to help the army, right? Well right when Robbie went to help, the hill was engulfed in flames... Then somehow HE MADE IT TO BOSTON ALIVE!?!?! No, that's not realistic...

And last but not least, didn't the crazy guy say that they must have buried the Tripods millions of years ago? How could we have NEVER dug one up? I mean come on, it's the twenty first century, we have water-mains and sewer systems where the Tripods were buried.

That's my opinion.

Matthew
07-20-2005, 05:01 AM
I agree with Nate, it was good, but the plot wasn't... A few things would have never happened...

Firstly, at the end of the movie, they can shoot down the Tripod because they saw birds landing on it. Everybody knows, birds would never land on something moving! That's just common sence.

And the tripods and their drivers were weakened by the infections they were contracting... Perhaps that they would land on the pods and such. Birds sit on branches all the time, and the winds move them...

Secondly, the aliens died because they weren't immune to the things we are? And aren't the aliens more intelligent than us? Then the aliens would have been smart enough to have vaccine for those little buggers!

But what if they didn't know that there were organisms on our planet that they weren't immune to?

Then, before they went to the crazy guy's basement, Robbie went to help the army, right? Well right when Robbie went to help, the hill was engulfed in flames... Then somehow HE MADE IT TO BOSTON ALIVE!?!?! No, that's not realistic...

There are always survivors... and its not like they spent a couple of hours getting to Boston... Robbie could have escaped the fire just in time... the fire didn't engulfe the ENTIRE hill.... just beyond it... Robbie maybe had time to dodge the falling tripod.

And last but not least, didn't the crazy guy say that they must have buried the Tripods millions of years ago? How could we have NEVER dug one up? I mean come on, it's the twenty first century, we have water-mains and sewer systems where the Tripods were buried.

Uh.... they could have been buried just below human detection... its not like our lines and stuff are miles beneath teh surface, which the pods probably were...

That's my opinion.

Bolded are my opinions =P

I like the movie... and it wasn't entirely about the special effects.... teh movie obviously didn't follow the book entirely. All the stuff that happened in the book happened in the background, just beyond our 'heroes.' If you watched closely, it was mainly a movie about character development. Ray realized that this may be the end of the world and notices that his kids hate him... he tries to show his love to them by keeping them out of harms way and builds a special bond with his children. It was a brilliant movie and I thought it was excellent.

Oh... and this goes to Other Entertainment... not Discussion :rolleyes:

>>> Moved

creepy kecleon
07-21-2005, 05:15 AM
War of the Worlds is my fav movie yet, Steven Speilberg is the director of the movie, and he made this movie look so real :happy:
I think that the ending was ok though...

"Firstly, at the end of the movie, they can shoot down the Tripod because they saw birds landing on it. Everybody knows, birds would never land on something moving! That's just common sence."

I think they were on that machine looking for the blood thing (so they can eat it), they can smell blood on the machine ofcourse.

Kronos answer the other things=p

Uber Flame
08-22-2005, 02:19 AM
I saw it, i thought it was pretty good. I went to see it at the Drive-Ins with my family, my brother was so afraid of the movie that it kept if hiding the whole time. It keep my attention with all the people being killed, and all the destruction. It did leave you hanging in the end though. They should have put more thinking into the movie, or at least make it easier to understand.

I have one question though. What was that red stringy stuff all over the place after they came out of the basement? Was that blood? :think:

But anyway it was a really good movie. I give it two thumbs up. :clap:

MetroidFreakGirl
10-16-2005, 07:38 PM
I liked the movie. It was
very realistic in many ways.
However, the plot and ending was a bit dry.

That's my opinion.
I thought those things were unrealistic,
too. It's strange, but I think it would've been better if Robbie died.

*SnowWolf*
10-16-2005, 07:48 PM
Overall I think it was pretty good, though it did have a few unrealistic parts.........:banana:

Surly Professor
10-17-2005, 04:52 PM
I have one question though. What was that red stringy stuff all over the place after they came out of the basement? Was that blood? :think:
Those are the "red weeds". They are plants or something similar to plants from the invaders home world. They were brought here to help adapt the atmosphere to what the aliens are more used to.

Pichu lover!
01-11-2006, 02:37 PM

That's my opinion.

Although the crazy guy did say that, didn't you see the one part where the girl that was on the plane (I think) showed the lightning in slow-mo?There were capsules. Lightning goes at 227 million miles per hour. We'd have to go that fast to go into the earth's crust to reach the Tripods.

Also, they are immune. FYI, forcefields. The blood they take is the tripod's fuel source. Our bodies have organs to keep blood healthy and going. Robots (No organs) don't. Once the blood "dies," there forcefields use that, but once it's gone, syonara! Lshiac.

But, the Tripod's multicolor beam looked sort of cheesy.

Neo Emolga
01-11-2006, 03:09 PM
Please, try not to bump up threads that are over a month old. If the post date of the last post is more than a month ago, either start a new thread or leave the thread alone.

Thanks.