PDA

View Full Version : Zendikar

karmachameleon
10-02-2009, 10:41 PM
Ah, Magic: the Gathering. I was planning on selling all of my MTG cards, but then I walked into my local card shop one day and saw there was a Grand Prix in my home city of Minneapolis later this year, so I decided to wait on that and prepare for the GP. This thread is basically to discuss draft strategies/ other things about Zendikar, the newest set. I haven't played since Ravnica, so I'm pretty bad right now. I went to the prerelease and got a bunch of bomb rares but still did terrible.

Kenny_C.002
10-02-2009, 11:12 PM
Nobody to play with normally? D:

Well anyway, Bloodchief ascension is hot right now. Basically it's going to be a pretty aggressive meta as far as I can tell.

In terms of draft, it looks like ZEN will be faster than M10, but by how much, I don't know. There are still tons of 5 mana creatures that gum up the ground like in M10. However, I find that it's possible to draft much more synergistic decks in ZEN that you probably can forgo that.

Charbok
10-04-2009, 12:36 AM
I think that landfall is very synergistic and contributes very well to the format unlike a lot of abilities between Ravnica and Zendikar. Plus, kicker is back.
http://magiccards.info/scans/en/in/196.jpg

Kenny_C.002
10-05-2009, 10:47 AM
Granted, the set before this is Alara Reborn, not Ravnica...

In any case, Zendikar's landfall works beautifully with kicker: you're dropping tons of lands, so your might as well kick a bunch of stuff while you're at it. The only real issue is that there are few kickers that are really worth the kick.

Jet
10-05-2009, 11:30 AM
SCYTHE TIGER FTW

or not :x

RBG is fast... I don't see how blue can be in the metagame now. :x

though I like Archive Trap and Sadistic Sacrament :x

Kenny_C.002
10-05-2009, 04:21 PM
Blue's a support colour this time around. Nothing else you can say about that.

karmachameleon
10-15-2009, 04:41 AM
Just went 2-1 in a draft at the local card shoppe. My deck was W/U with a splash of black for an ally, Guul Draz Specter, and Hideous End. Here's some things that I found:

The dual lands that come into play tapped with benefits are awesome.
You are definitely right about blue Kenny. Into the Roil, Umara Raptor, and Whiplash Trap are all solid but other than a few rares there's not much.
Allies are a great strategy.
The synergy with Kor Skyfisher and the dual lands is great.
White has two amazing one drops- Brave the Elements and Steppe Lynx.

THAT IS ALL

Jet
10-15-2009, 02:23 PM
I'd like to see a well working ally deck... reach top 8 at least...

Kenny_C.002
10-16-2009, 08:35 PM
In limited, allies can work out. The only major problem is that all of the good allies are good on their own, so they're high-picked. It's hard to draft allies if people know what they're doing.

That being said, I have seen a draft where some guy had 3 raptors, 2 survivalists, and a number of skyfishers and shieldmates. Needless to say it was a solid allies deck.

Allies will make top 8 in limited tournaments. They will not make constructed tournaments at the moment.

Jet
10-17-2009, 03:49 PM
I want to see Archive Trap & Sadistic Sacrament in a deck...

how to do it?

Kenny_C.002
10-17-2009, 03:54 PM
I want to see Archive Trap & Sadistic Sacrament in a deck...

how to do it?
Play archive trap, play control.

Can't help you with the sadistic one.

karmachameleon
11-03-2009, 03:29 AM
Just drafted a crazy U/B and went 3-0. It's got elements of control, and I didn't think control would work in Zendikar draft, but it can if you get lucky and get the right cards.
*- first pick

9x Swamp
7x Island
1x Soaring Seacliff

1x Surrakar Marauder
1x Vampire Hexmage
1x Vampire Nighthawk*
1x Heartstabber Mosquito
1x Nimana Sell-Sword
2x Welkin Tern
1x Windrider Eel
2x Reckless Scholar
1x Sphinx of Lost Truths*
1x Sky Ruin Drake
1x Merfolk Seastalkers*
1x Shoal Serpent

1x Explorer's Scope
1x Marsh Casualties
1x Disfigure
1x Whiplash Trap
1x Summoner's Bane
1x Ior Ruin Expedition
3x Paralyzing Grasp

I'm now thinking blue, black, and red are the three best colors, white fourth, green fifth. GP is only 2 weeks away.

I'm at the Grand Prix RIGHT NOW. Any advice for sealed?

Kenny_C.002
11-15-2009, 12:54 AM
I haven't played enough Zendikar to actually tell you much about it. :-/