PDA

View Full Version : whats the best book you ever read?

Pokemon Ultimatum
10-13-2009, 04:10 AM
and why was it the best you have read? For me I would have to say(the lighting theif)by Rick Riordan.

Powerman 6k
10-13-2009, 04:24 AM
YES!! The Percy Jackson series was by far one of my favorite series of all time. Another would have to be the Merlin series, written by T.A. Barron. Definitely recommended.

And here's something to kill a little bit of time.

Lightning Thief Movie ;D (http://www.pokemonelite2000.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101730)

The Maple Syrup Baptist
10-13-2009, 04:35 AM
The best book I've ever read was The Giver by Lois Lowry. So good in fact, that I'm writing a concept album about it. Just the most astounding book and vision, so imaginative and unique, so well written. I would love to create music to it.

I recommend it to anyone who likes quality. I don't even like reading and I adore it, so take that as a testament to its mastery.

-Holland-
10-13-2009, 04:57 AM
Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Radbury. Of all that Bradbury wrote, the narrative in that book was the most gripping to me. It really explores the dystopian idealism in a much more introspective manner that 1984 never considered. Moreover, it's fascinating how Bradbury implies so much with such simple diction.

Charbok
10-13-2009, 04:58 AM
For a while I held The Giver to a very high regard, but I can say with utmost certainty that you ain't seen nothing if you haven't read both Battle Royale (Koushun Takami) and Catch 22 (Joseph Heller), the latter of the two I consider the greatest book I've ever read. It's one that requires a brain, so don't read it if you don't like thinking, but it's so unfathomably fantastic that anyone with any such desire shouldn't hesitate for a second to read it. I'd also highly recommend 1984 (George Orwell).

Powerman 6k
10-13-2009, 05:12 AM
For a while I held The Giver to a very high regard, but I can say with utmost certainty that you ain't seen nothing if you haven't read both Battle Royale (Koushun Takami) and Catch 22 (Joseph Heller), the latter of the two I consider the greatest book I've ever read. It's one that requires a brain, so don't read it if you don't like thinking, but it's so unfathomably fantastic that anyone with any such desire shouldn't hesitate for a second to read it. I'd also highly recommend 1984 (George Orwell).

As compelling and accurate as 1984 was, the beginning and end was so dreadfully boring. I read it as the final book in English IV, before I graduated a month later. The story was definitely interesting, and the fact that it was written in the 50s, and the storyline was set in 1984, was so unique. But it was boring, and gruesome, but so well written.

It's hard to that book, exactly. It's just one of those books that you can read once, but you just don't have the courage to read it again.

Kick the Moon
10-13-2009, 05:14 AM
The Percy Jackson series is the best imo.

Sequentio
10-13-2009, 05:18 AM
EDIT; It's too difficult to narrow them down. D:

- The Long Walk (Stephen King)
- Haunted (Chuck Palahniuk)
- Straight Man (Richard Russo)
- Timeline (Michael Crichton)
- The Lucifer Child (Shelley Katz)
- The Kill Artist (Daniel Silva)

Phantasm.Angel
10-13-2009, 02:04 PM
I'm a huge fan of Jurassic Park by Micheal Crichton. I love how he took such a realistic approach to his novels, and it feels like you're reading a factual account of real events...well, save for all the dinosaurs and whatnot.
I get all my ideas in ethics from that man.

Trains
10-13-2009, 04:47 PM
My favorite book is "The Book Thief". End of story.

Eternal Moonlight
10-13-2009, 05:37 PM
I adore Nineteen Minutes and Second Glance, both by Jodi Picoult. They have such depth and realism to them, impossible books to forget. They`re worth the read, trust me!

Mew, Meow, Nya

Lusitania
10-13-2009, 06:18 PM
The best book I've ever read was The Giver by Lois Lowry. So good in fact, that I'm writing a concept album about it. Just the most astounding book and vision, so imaginative and unique, so well written. I would love to create music to it.

I recommend it to anyone who likes quality. I don't even like reading and I adore it, so take that as a testament to its mastery.

I love the Giver as well by Lois Lowry, but it's not the best I've read. I'm reading Gathering Blue now, the sequel :3

I'll edit with the best I've reda next.

miragebaby_x
10-13-2009, 07:24 PM
Ways to live Forever - Sally Nicholson.

It's a really good book and I'm not a reader but I fell in love with it. It's for ages around 11-14.

http://www.waystoliveforever.co.uk/index.tao?PageId=home

It's about a boy who has cancer, it's mint.

Sleeping Sun
10-13-2009, 09:13 PM
Probably Ender's Game. I could relate to it really well, and I think it's just a really interesting science fiction book overall.

Vaughn
10-13-2009, 09:14 PM
The Twilight Series was great. :cool:

Pokemon_Ron
10-14-2009, 12:47 AM
I barely read and a book has to be really really really good for me to enjoy it.

I enjoyed the Redwall series when i was younger but so far, my favorite series/books are the Twilight series:biggrin:

Lusitania
10-14-2009, 12:51 AM
I barely read and a book has to be really really really good for me to enjoy it.

I enjoyed the Redwall series when i was younger but so far, my favorite series/books are the Twilight series:biggrin:

I think I died a little bit on the inside.

Whistler
10-14-2009, 01:24 AM
my fav book was "Loser"

Lord Fedora
10-14-2009, 02:18 AM
I think I died a little bit on the inside.
Amen my brother.

There are a lot of books I've read that I've loved and I can't honestly say there's any one that is the absolute best. But, the really good ones are:

His Dark Materials (trilogy consisting of The Northern Lights/The Golden Compass (title depending on where you live), The Subtle Knife and The Amber Spyglass) by Phillip Pullman for its unique perspective on religion, the concept of multiple realities and just being a damn good series.

The Giver by Lois Lowry, for its intruiging storyline that allows you to filll in the gap.

The Belgariad (series consisting of Pawn of Prophecy, Queen of Sorcery, Magician's Gambit, Castle of Wizardry and Enchanter's End Game) by David Eddings, because it is an epic fantasy series and that is all there is to it.

All the Pretty Horses (book 1 of the Border Trilogy, the other two of which I have yet to read) by Cormac McCarthy, for its intruiging structure and abandonment of conventional grammar as well as its statements about reality and the inherent path of self-destruction that idealistic values can bring.

mightydes
10-14-2009, 02:23 AM
I'd have to say Halo: Contact Harvest. Gives a lot of detail on the Covenant's side of the story, and how they were formed.

Phantom Kat
10-14-2009, 02:28 AM
There are so many books I've read that are great:

Les Miserables: After you get used to Victor Hugo's writing style, I was immersed in the plot. It was so intricate, so compelling, and I wonder if I would still say that if I read the non-abridged version.

Stree Magic: Third book of the Circle Opens series by Tamora Pierce, dealing with my favorite characater. I loved it from beginning to end, and though it's gruesome in some parts, it just adds to the realism, even if the wolrd in her books is completely fanmade.

Harry Potter: The Deathly Hallows: From the day I got it, I could not put it down. Page after page I would find myself passing. There's so much action and twists that it left my jaw hanging.

*will put more when computer is not being so slow*

- Kat

Powerman 6k
10-14-2009, 03:05 AM
Thank you for reminding me, des. The Halo series, so far, is probably one of the best series I have read.

Bumblebee16
10-14-2009, 03:18 AM
His Dark Materials (trilogy consisting of The Northern Lights/The Golden Compass (title depending on where you live), The Subtle Knife and The Amber Spyglass) by Phillip Pullman for its unique perspective on religion, the concept of multiple realities and just being a damn good series.

Those were great books. Loved them.

Harry Potter: The Deathly Hallows: From the day I got it, I could not put it down. Page after page I would find myself passing. There's so much action and twists that it left my jaw hanging.

- Kat

I have to admit, hours went by when I was reading that series. It was packed with action.

Dragon Rider was also a book that I think is awesome.

Has anyone read Andromeda Strain or the Eragon series.

Sequentio
10-14-2009, 03:27 AM

I agree with this to an extent. :o
I couldn't put down the final book in the series, as I've waited many years for everything to be summed up... but I was pretty dissapointed. I realize they've gotten older, things have gotten dire, and the twists/action were lovely - but Harry kept reminding me of a whiny emo kid. >_>

"IT DIDN'T HAPPEN TO YOU. IT HAPPENED TO ME. WHY DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND?"

Bumblebee; I've read The Andromeda Strain. It was brilliant. :D

Lord Fedora
10-14-2009, 03:51 AM
Has anyone read Andromeda Strain or the Inheritance Cycle.

Fixed. And I have in fact read the Inheritance Cycle, and at this point I'm just waiting for the final book to get the full story. It's decent, but not great, and the only reason Eragon was so popular was for the novelty of being written by a teenager.

Dragoness
10-14-2009, 03:59 AM
Eragon was decent. Not my favorite, but decent.

MY favorites are ALL of the Harry Potter books :) Very well written and a very detailed world w/strong characters to boot.

Following them, the Circle of Magic, Lioness, Beka Cooper and Immortals series by Tamora Pierce. Their pretty decent.

-Holland-
10-14-2009, 04:10 AM
Fixed. And I have in fact read the Inheritance Cycle, and at this point I'm just waiting for the final book to get the full story. It's decent, but not great, and the only reason Eragon was so popular was for the novelty of being written by a teenager.

Yeah, I remember that's all the librarians would talk about at the book fairs in middle school when they mentioned those. I haven't read them myself, but the consensus seems to be that they're only decent.

The Andromeda Strain was a really interesting read. Admittedly, I only kind of skimmed it because I was simply recommended the book on a whim, but the plot was very intriguing. I mean, it didn't pique my personal interest too much because I've seen the general concept exploited far too often in films, but the book was well-written, nonetheless. I appreciated the mild concentration on character insight, or at least whatever I read of it.

mightydes
10-14-2009, 04:13 AM
Thank you for reminding me, des. The Halo series, so far, is probably one of the best series I have read.

It'd have to be the same for me. The Halo series is a great series, especially the books Contact Harvest, The Fall of Reach, and Ghosts of Onyx. Those ones I really enjoyed (I just finished Contact Harvest, now I need a new book for English class T^T)

Another great series would have to be A Series of Unfortunate Events. Forget the movie, which sucked in my opinion, the books were amazing. My teacher read us the first one in Grade 6, and we demanded to read the rest, so we got to the third one before school ended. After that I couldn't put the books down and I had to read the rest.

More great books include Speak, And Then It Happened, and the Fudge series.

kokovo
10-14-2009, 07:11 AM
Tricky question.
Some of my favorites:

Evil Genius
Artemis Fowl series
Rangers Apprentice series
Cherub series

Spinner
10-14-2009, 08:39 AM
Arghh, difficult. Well, here we go:

The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan: Fantastic. 11 books in the series so far (The eye of the world, the great hunt, the dragon reborn, the shadow rising, the fires of heaven, lord of chaos, a crown of swords, the path of daggers, winter's heart, crossroads of twilight and knife of dreams). Each is 1000-odd pages long. EPIC :razz:

Discworld series by Terry Pratchett: A good, light read. Really funny books - one of the few books that I can laugh-out-loud to. There are something like 30 or so, though it isn't a "linear" series; different books have completely different characters, entirely different stories - in particular, I liked "the colour of magic", "jingo", "Men at arms", "Equal rites" (and others).

His Dark Materials by Phillip Pullman: Awesome. Think somebody mentioned this above, so I'll just say it in passing.

The Old Kingdom trilogy by Garth Nix: (Sabriel, Lirael and Abhorsen) Cool series, Very entertaining. Like some of the uncommon twists of the fantasy genre.

And now for the more serious stuff...

The book thief by Marcus Zusak: This book leaves me speechless.

The Pilgrim's Progress by John Bunyan: The writing in this book is superb, and the religious concepts explored leave you thinking long after you've put it down.

Great Expectations by Charles Dickens: Actually haven't finished it, but it's great so far.

Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte: Actually kind of disturbing/ weird. It was good though; I could really appreciate the book, clearly deserving it's place in the Canon.

This post is getting too long. Maybe I'll write up others if I can be bothered later. :razz:

Shen
10-14-2009, 09:39 AM
Hohoho, man, it's really hard to decide. However, for those expecting me to put down something like this: "OMG TWILIGHT IS GASMIC!"...cut yourselves. Please. I have not, and will never, read Twilight. That way, I cannot think that it's great, and I cannot think it's horrible. I will stay neutral on this forever, for my own protection so I don't get a compass and a vial of acid in my eye from some Twihard :wink:.

Now, on to the good stuff: the best books I've read. I'm happy to see that some of my fave series have been mentioned, and I am sad at least one has not yet been. I have also taken note of some of these books put by others as potential reads as well.

My Fave Book Series

Harry Potter - Shut up you Potter haters, this series is brilliant. J.K. Rowling is a wonderful author, proven many times over. I was always eagerly waiting each book once I had finished reading the latest one. This series also holds a special place in my heart, because my grandmother on my mom's side would love reading these books with me. She even reserved books four, five, and six for me, and we read them together. I am extremely sad to say she passed away before the seventh book came out...so when I got the seventh one (which had been reserved by my Aunt, mom's sister), I did not move until I finished reading it, save for using the bathroom, eating, and sleeping for a few hours. 24 hours to the minute after I started reading it, I closed it...having finished it. I did that in her memory (among several other things, like making a wooden memorial earlier in the year).

For all you pepople who say that book seven was a disappointment, I honestly don't know what you're talking about. That book was packed with stuff any "normal wizard" kid might do if faced with those situations. I was kept on edge as Harry had to flee for his life in several situations. The battles were epic, the descriptions were flawless, and the ending (not the epilogue) was extremely well done. The only thing I found disappointing *SPOILER ALERT OMG* was the fact that his son's middle name was Severus xD

Eragon (The Inheritance Cycle) - By far one of the best series I have read. Christopher Paolini has an extreme realism to this magical world, and the descriptions he uses in the first book shows he had an intelligence FAR surpassing his age at the time. He knows how to write fiction, I'll tell you that. And he goes beyond that, he creates an entire damn language! In fact, he has made two, and dabbled in others! Tell me that's easy, I know you'll be a liar. The way his scenes flow, the way he keeps a reader on edge, only to slap them in the face with something unexpected...it's magnificent.

I eagerly await the fourth and final installment to the Inheritance Cycle, to see just how he may top everything else he has written yet.

Redwall - Ah, this series takes me back...I've been reading these since almost as long as I have known about Harry Potter. Brian Jaques is quite the genius writer, but in a different style than the previous series. Some call his books childish. I really don't see how creatures slicing and stabbing one another is childish, really. Sure, it could be meant for a bit of a younger audience, but that's the thing. The way he captures your attention with the simplicity of a scene, making it pop into your head without paragraphs of explanations, is amazing. And his riddles, oooh, I could loathe, love, and respect him for making so many genius riddles! I have no clue how he does it, again and again, but he does!

Plus, the battles are epic. Anthropomorphic mice, otters, badgers (ohhh, them mighty badgers), and other forest wildlife creatures, laying the beat-down on one another with swords, spears, and whatever other weapons one could think of, in such amazing ways, it's hard to describe if you've never picked up a Redwall book. Read the first book in the series (named Redwall, of course), and you'll see just what I mean. I regret that I have yet to read as many books in the Redwall series as there are in production, but I plan on reading the books I haven't yet read when I can, soon enough.

Warriors - Now, if the people who called Redwall childish could read this series, they'd probably change their minds. Warriors is more than likely a series meant for the younger generation, and yet is just as captivating to older audiences. Erin Hunter certainly knows her felines, putting you in the mindset of many cats in a wild environment just outside human habitation, and their struggle to live, thrive, survive, and surpass. Four Cat Clans living together in one forest, oftentimes at the necks of their fellow (and rival) clans, and other times working out peacefully for the good of all. And she does this without being too complicated for the younger generation the books are meant for, too.

I had chanced upon this series by randomly picking up the first Warriors book, and I could not put it down until I finished reading it some time later. It was a little surprising it captivated me so, and I read the rest of the series, plus the next saga in the series, one after the other. The physical and spiritual stories is truly wonderful. Trust me, you may like this series more than you think if you're into this genre of books. Pick it up sometime.

The Shannara Series - It's a disappointment to see this series hasn't been mentioned yet. Probably the most serious of the series I have listed, it's definitely along the lines of Lord of the Rings. It's set in a post-apocalyptic version of our world, where thousands of years after nuclear war had destroyed everything, we were returned to building up from the beginning. It's a magical time reminiscent of the Middle Ages; swords, magic stones, elves, evil creatures, it's all there. It started with Sword of Shannara, and the series continued on through seven more books, one of them actually being a prequel to the first book. One of the most amazing things I find from his books are that the characters are more human than others. That is, the line between good and evil...is blurred. It's hard to tell what is done for good, and what is done in selfish evil. Even by the main characters! Not many people can do this, but Terry Brooks certainly did. The characters come to terms with themselves and those around them, and are tempted by acts of evil while they, themselves, think it's for good. That's human!

Terry Brooks' series was definitely inspired by Lord of the Rings, but it in no way took anything from the works of J.R.R. Tolkien and modified them. Sure, he set it in a land where magic replaces science and other creatures evolved from humans, but he also set himself apart with the stories and the characters. And once he was done with these two Shannara series, he branched off and made another, prequel Shannara series, as well as other books unrelated to his more widely-known books, showing how versatile an author he is. If you loved LotR, I am sure you will like the Shannara series.

*~~~*

Oh, and of course, the LotR series is awesome, but everyone knows that, so I won't go into an explanation about it xD

From those series alone, there are multitudes of books to choose from, making it incredibly hard for me to choose a single book I feel is the best I have ever read. I have many, many more series to read as well, so it could very well be impossible to choose any single one in due time. These are my favorite series I have read so far, and I have enjoyed every minute reading, as well as sharing this with you. If you've actually read everything above this and gotten this far, kudos to you! And thank you ^^.

Ah Beng I the Pikabeng
10-17-2009, 03:24 AM
This post is getting too long. Maybe I'll write up others if I can be bothered later. :razz:

You should see the next post.

Harry Potter - Shut up you Potter haters, this series is brilliant. J.K. Rowling is a wonderful author, proven many times over. I was always eagerly waiting each book once I had finished reading the latest one. This series also holds a special place in my heart, because my grandmother on my mom's side would love reading these books with me. She even reserved books four, five, and six for me, and we read them together. I am extremely sad to say she passed away before the seventh book came out...so when I got the seventh one (which had been reserved by my Aunt, mom's sister), I did not move until I finished reading it, save for using the bathroom, eating, and sleeping for a few hours. 24 hours to the minute after I started reading it, I closed it...having finished it. I did that in her memory (among several other things, like making a wooden memorial earlier in the year).

For all you pepople who say that book seven was a disappointment, I honestly don't know what you're talking about. That book was packed with stuff any "normal wizard" kid might do if faced with those situations. I was kept on edge as Harry had to flee for his life in several situations. The battles were epic, the descriptions were flawless, and the ending (not the epilogue) was extremely well done. The only thing I found disappointing *SPOILER ALERT OMG* was the fact that his son's middle name was Severus xD

Eragon (The Inheritance Cycle) - By far one of the best series I have read. Christopher Paolini has an extreme realism to this magical world, and the descriptions he uses in the first book shows he had an intelligence FAR surpassing his age at the time. He knows how to write fiction, I'll tell you that. And he goes beyond that, he creates an entire damn language! In fact, he has made two, and dabbled in others! Tell me that's easy, I know you'll be a liar. The way his scenes flow, the way he keeps a reader on edge, only to slap them in the face with something unexpected...it's magnificent.

I eagerly await the fourth and final installment to the Inheritance Cycle, to see just how he may top everything else he has written yet.

^ ... except that I thought Severus as his son's middle name was OK. After all, Severus Snape did his triple agent job well...

Those are some of the best ones I've ever read. Not sure about others though... maybe Phillip Pullman's His Dark Materials?

Eeveelutions
10-17-2009, 06:57 AM
The Tale of Despereaux omg that was like my first real favorite book x___x I loved it so much I finished it in only two days because I was so interested in it <33 I mean it was sadder than the book, kinda cuz the movie didn't show...well a certain scene that I guess you wouldn't show little kids XD

Also the Lovely Bones! It's a great book and it's sooo sad, made me cry so many times ;A; I really recommend it, especially since the movie is coming out soon! I can't wait!

I'm also a little into the Time Traveler's Wife WHICH BY NOW I'M REGRETTING. It's a little annoying because the main characters are such Mar(t)y-Sue's :/, But I guess it's kinda okay. I guess it could count as one of my favorites.

Oh, can't forget Eclipse of the Twilight series! So much BellaxJacob moments! Luffluff that pair <3 That was my fav book of the series 8D *thumbs up*

scubasteveE
10-19-2009, 06:41 PM
Stephen King's Desperation is probably my favorite book of all time. I also like the Harry Potter series and the Inheritance Cycle. People say Inheritance is only decent, but I think it has been one of the best series I've read.

Stardy
10-19-2009, 06:59 PM
... reading through this topic, I had no idea the third Eragon book was out. I loved Eragon and Eldest, so I'll have to be on the lookout for that. I can remember it being mentioned once or twice and called Brisingr (probably spelt that wrong), but no idea it was out.

As for my favorite series... I'm not sure to be honest. I'll go with Harry Potter, I guess, I loved that set from start to end, and still reread all the books today. With Prisoner of Azkaban or Order of the Phoenix being my favorites from it. I also liked the movies that came from each of the books as well (Bar the most recent one... DO NOT WANT.). So yeah. :P

EDIT: Around The World In Spandex was also awesome. Just noting that.

scubasteveE
10-19-2009, 07:24 PM
... reading through this topic, I had no idea the third Eragon book was out. I loved Eragon and Eldest, so I'll have to be on the lookout for that. I can remember it being mentioned once or twice and called Brisingr (probably spelt that wrong), but no idea it was out.

As for my favorite series... I'm not sure to be honest. I'll go with Harry Potter, I guess, I loved that set from start to end, and still reread all the books today. With Prisoner of Azkaban or Order of the Phoenix being my favorites from it. I also liked the movies that came from each of the books as well (Bar the most recent one... DO NOT WANT.). So yeah. :P

EDIT: Around The World In Spandex was also awesome. Just noting that.
lol it's been out for awhile. You spelled it right :o and it's really good., though like Eldest it leaves a ton of question to be answered in the 4th book.

Stardy
10-19-2009, 07:55 PM
Yay, I got it right. :D

And after a quick Wiki;
Publication date: September 20, 2008

So not that long. Just over a year. And we tend to be six months late with books (Translating and stuff... even though I would just be picking up the English Copy anyway). But yeah, on my wishlist now. Christmas is coming up. And if it's anything like Eldest, I'll enjoy it. :P
*shot*