PDA

View Full Version : whats the worst book you ever read?

Pokemon Ultimatum
10-14-2009, 03:06 AM
The worst book I ever read was about some cat warriors I cant remember what it was called though,I didnt make any sense at all.:confused: oh crud! I put it in the wrong section! can someone kindly move it?

Powerman 6k
10-14-2009, 03:11 AM
Everything after Twilight -.- Seriously. New Moon depressed the crap out of me.

Neo Emolga
10-14-2009, 03:11 AM
Across Five Aprils was so bad that the teacher actually agreed to end reading/reviewing the book early to switch to something else. I swear, that was the only time in all my years of school that ever happened. But definitely, that book was horrendous.

I also really dislike A Farewell to Arms and just about everything else by Earnest Hemmingway. I don't like his writing style, it just seems so monotone and horribly uninteresting. Meanwhile, the endings never make sense and just leave you feeling like you've wasted your time.

Sequentio
10-14-2009, 03:16 AM
There are several books I never want to see again.
Most notably are;

- Huckleberry Finn
This is supposed to be a classic. I have no clue why. If I'm going to read classic literature, I'll turn to W. Somerset Maugham.

- The Call of the Wild
This was so terrible, I couldn't even bring myself to parody it. In fact, this reminds me why I don't like Jack London's writing style.

- The Hobbit
The first fourty pages were description of the scenery. I kid you not. In fact, 4/5ths of the book was spent ONLY describing scenery.

- Twilight (Or anything written by Stephenie Meyer).
There's really only so many times you can say, "His skin was shimmery in the sunlight because was a vampire. Edward and Bella are angsty teens in eternal love."

-Holland-
10-14-2009, 03:33 AM
I also really dislike A Farewell to Arms and just about everything else by Earnest Hemingway. I don't like his writing style, it just seems so monotone and horribly uninteresting. Meanwhile, the endings never make sense and just leave you feeling like you've wasted your time.

Yes.

I'd also like to add Pride and Prejudice, The Tempest and probably Titus Adronicus. Seriously, they culminate in...nothing. >_>

Bumblebee16
10-14-2009, 03:39 AM
- The Call of the Wild
This was so terrible, I couldn't even bring myself to parody it. In fact, this reminds me why I don't like Jack London's writing style.

- The Hobbit
The first fourty pages were description of the scenery. I kid you not. In fact, 4/5ths of the book was spent ONLY describing scenery.

I liked Call of the Wild >_>, but I agree with the Hobbit. Really dislike that book!

-Holland-
10-14-2009, 03:43 AM
I thought the Hobbit was a great book...

Powerman 6k
10-14-2009, 03:48 AM
I thought the Hobbit was a great book...

I agree. Even though the describing of the scenery was a tad bit annoying, it was still very well written and interesting.

Sequentio
10-14-2009, 03:52 AM
I agree. Even though the describing of the scenery was a tad bit annoying, it was still very well written and interesting.
I'm not saying it wasn't well-written.
(Anyone who can describe scenery for hundreds of pages completely astounds me with some sort of writing prowess).
However, I didn't find it interesting. At all.

Lord Fedora
10-14-2009, 03:55 AM
Yes.

I'd also like to add Pride and Prejudice, The Tempest and probably Titus Adronicus. Seriously, they culminate in...nothing. >_>
I liked the Tempest.

Personally I'd have to say Twilight. I didn't get through the first chapter before I tossed it to the corner, and let me be very clear, I am very meticulous with books so that shows you my disgust with how it was written. And VAMPIRES DO NOT EFFING SPARKLE!

Bumblebee16
10-14-2009, 04:00 AM
I liked the Tempest.

Personally I'd have to say Twilight. I didn't get through the first chapter before I tossed it to the corner, and let me be very clear, I am very meticulous with books so that shows you my disgust with how it was written. And VAMPIRES DO NOT EFFING SPARKLE!

I did the same, though it was about halfway through the first book before I stopped reading it. When I saw that in the movie, I bursted out laughing. Sparkling vampires xD?

mightydes
10-14-2009, 04:24 AM
Worst book, worst book. Hmm, this is a toughy, because most books I've read I've enjoyed a lot. I guess Halo: The Flood was kind of bad. The author didn't seem to have a clue on the Halo universe one bit. Oh and also Dark Force Rising. It's a Star Wars book but it just made me really bored, so I stopped reading it.

Brizer
10-14-2009, 05:48 AM
Most notably are;

- Huckleberry Finn
This is supposed to be a classic. I have no clue why. If I'm going to read classic literature, I'll turn to W. Somerset Maugham.

- The Call of the Wild

- The Hobbit

There's really only so many times you can say, "His skin was shimmery in the sunlight because was a vampire. Edward and Bella are angsty teens in eternal love."

Huck Finn is one of the best and most contemporary works of classical satire in existence.

The Hobbit--what you said is technically an embellishment. I've read it more than once, and it would be nearly impossible to even complete a plot with 4/5ths of a book being description.

Mhhhmmmmmm

Sequentio
10-14-2009, 05:55 AM
Huck Finn is one of the best and most contemporary works of classical satire in existence.

The Hobbit--what you said is technically an embellishment. I've read it more than once, and it would be nearly impossible to even complete a plot with 4/5ths of a book being description.

Mhhhmmmmmm

Huck Finn is one of the best examples of classical satire in existence.
I don't deny its significance. It made quite a large impact because of its subject matter and use of the English language. However, it still wasn't a good read in my opinion.

The Hobbit - It's a partial embellishment. I've read it through once, and that was enough. The most exciting part of the book was concerning the dragon - and even that was dulled by the massive amount of description. Of course, description is important to help the reader imagine the world of the author - but I thought it was an inappropriate amount (to the point that I fell asleep half way through from boredom).

Stinky
10-14-2009, 11:05 AM
Twilight (Or anything written by Stephenie Meyer).

/thread

But yeah, Twilight was probably the worst book I've had the misfortune of reading.

Phantasm.Angel
10-14-2009, 12:05 PM
a cook book, I mean there was no plot, characters, or description.

Phantom Kat
10-14-2009, 12:23 PM
Most notably are;

- Huckleberry Finn

- The Call of the Wild

- The Hobbit

Aww, I liked Huck Finn. Granted the beginning was one of the most boring things I've read, I liked the way it picked up later.

For me, one of them had to be "Jane Eyre". I never finished reading, and I have no qualms about that. Freaking took three pages to describe a red room. >.>

And "Tale of Two Cities". Great plot but horrible writing style.

- Kat

MaskedJackal
10-14-2009, 04:16 PM
"Things Fall Apart" by Chinua Achebe was BORING AS HELL. 'Had to read it for English during my senior year of high school.

Kendo
10-14-2009, 07:49 PM
The Doll House, or some book like that. Ther;s old dolls and new dolls and they die whenever somebody sees them move. That's such a stupid rule. How does that even work?

That's acceptable from Pixar, but not the Doll Code or whatever oath they took. The freakin' Doll Code! Wha?

Besides that there's little to no conflict! Just saying they'll meet at midnight and have a jolly good time. It wasted so many minutes of my life!

I've probably read worse, but that's the worst I can think of at the moment.

George Jefferson
10-14-2009, 08:35 PM
You'd expect me to ****** about Twilight and it's other sh!tty episodes, but...

Complete Idiots Guide to Wrestling,, done by CAPTAIN LOU ALBANO, PAISANOS.

The Rock's real name is Rocky Melvin? I never knew that. I bet he didn't either.

DavidTennantFan
10-14-2009, 08:56 PM
Any and ALL roald dahl books, I fell asleep in the 7th sentence or something or they start out good and just go stale with boringness.

Gaby
10-14-2009, 09:02 PM
I second the cook book post, so boring, yet can't say it's tasteless...

-Holland-
10-14-2009, 10:40 PM
Aww, I liked Huck Finn. Granted the beginning was one of the most boring things I've read, I liked the way it picked up later.

For me, one of them had to be "Jane Eyre". I never finished reading, and I have no qualms about that. Freaking took three pages to describe a red room. >.>

And "Tale of Two Cities". Great plot but horrible writing style.

- Kat

Dickens kind of has this pretentiously wordy writing style, but I was able to work past it, and I really liked that book. : (

Gokudera-Kun
10-15-2009, 12:04 AM
I'd say Twilight, but I'm smart and have never been in the same room with that book.(Seriously)

So, the worst book I've ever read would have to be "Redwall" if I had known it'd be a Renaisance festival for Furries, I would never have gotten that library card. Of course, I never finished it, so yay me.

The worst book that I've ever actually bothered to read from start-to-finish would have to be The 500 Hats of Bartholomew, by Dr. Seuss. It was too long for a Dr. Seuss book.

jeebus4life
10-15-2009, 12:04 AM
the dictionary

Winter
10-15-2009, 12:25 AM
Gotta be 'Kissing the Rain'--even I couldn't read through that book.

Second up is 'Across Five Aprils', followed by 'To Kill a Mockingbird' I actually fell asleep when I got to chapter six, but I actually read all of it--unlike the rest of my honors English class.

-Holland-
10-15-2009, 12:45 AM
'To Kill a Mockingbird'

What? Why? I love that book. What was so bad about it?

scubasteveE
10-15-2009, 01:04 AM
All my friends would do unthinkable things to y'all who are saying Twilight D: (Me, I have no intention of reading those books)

Animal Farm and War and Peace. Both were very boring and I didn't finish.

And Stephen King's The Eyes of the Dragon. The title was so misleading and it was a murder/mystery(which I hate).

Gokudera-Kun
10-15-2009, 01:06 AM
All my friends would do unthinkable things to y'all who are saying Twilight D: (Me, I have no intention of reading those books)

What would they do? Sparkle all over us?

scubasteveE
10-15-2009, 01:16 AM
What would they do? Sparkle all over us?
Probably.

But they dress up as the characters so they're really into it. >_>

The Doctor
10-15-2009, 01:22 AM
To Kill A Mockingbird. Enough said.

~Darkness

Gokudera-Kun
10-15-2009, 01:23 AM
To Kill A Mockingbird. Enough said.

~Darkness
They should've lynched Tom, that would make the story much better, amirite?

Synester
10-15-2009, 01:40 AM
a cook book, I mean there was no plot, characters, or description.Since when does a comic book not have characters, and it doesn't need description, there is a picture right there :|.

-Twilight. Nuff said.

- Lord of the Flies. Hate it ;\

Lord Fedora
10-15-2009, 01:45 AM
Since when does a comic book not have characters, and it doesn't need description, there is a picture right there :|.

-Twilight. Nuff said.

- Lord of the Flies. Hate it ;\
Cook book, not comic book. As in a book of cooking.

Lusankya
10-15-2009, 01:51 AM
Does my English textbook count?

George Jefferson
10-15-2009, 07:55 PM
All my friends would do unthinkable things to y'all who are saying Twi

I stopped reading there.

EDIT: Your friends are f@g$.

Pokemon_Ron
10-16-2009, 12:48 AM
I hated Animal Farm >.>

Shen
10-16-2009, 12:35 PM
Never read Twilight, so I guess I can't put that...*ponders about horrible books*

Oh...

*shudder*

Wild Animus...

...I should have figured there was a reason copies of the book were given out for free...

Vaughn
10-16-2009, 12:37 PM
The worst book I ever read was Wolf Brother.

Ah Beng I the Pikabeng
10-17-2009, 03:21 AM
Does my English textbook count?

Uh, sure, I guess. Though I thought blank books were worse. :P Discounting that, though, I guess... nothing much. All the books I've seen so far... I thought they were average at worst. :X

Spinner
10-19-2009, 09:52 AM
Not many, actually. I usually get recommendations from friends, and I go with that, so I rarely read books that I don't like. Having said that, I really... dislike the inheritance series, as well as twilight (haven't read it, so I guess you can flame me if you like. But, I know A LOT of girls who became obsessed with this series. Now I hate it on principle). Erm... The other boleyn girl was kinda... meh. I didn't think it was a very accurate book. Oh, and somebody mentioned "to kill a mockingbird" above. I actually liked that book, but whatever floats ya boat. :wink:

miyoun
10-19-2009, 10:30 AM
Twilight.

Ah Beng I the Pikabeng
10-19-2009, 03:32 PM
Oh, and somebody mentioned "to kill a mockingbird" above. I actually liked that book, but whatever floats ya boat. :wink:

Oh, that book. "To kill a Mockingbird". I thought it was quite good, too...

Twilight.

4 word rule.

miyoun
10-19-2009, 06:14 PM
4 word rule.

y so mini-mod?

scubasteveE
10-19-2009, 06:27 PM
Not many, actually. I usually get recommendations from friends, and I go with that, so I rarely read books that I don't like. Having said that, I really... dislike the inheritance series, as well as twilight (haven't read it, so I guess you can flame me if you like. But, I know A LOT of girls who became obsessed with this series. Now I hate it on principle). Erm... The other boleyn girl was kinda... meh. I didn't think it was a very accurate book. Oh, and somebody mentioned "to kill a mockingbird" above. I actually liked that book, but whatever floats ya boat. :wink:

Well I dislike you. :P

I'm sort of surprised that no one has said Harry Potter. (Don't get me wrong it's my second favorite series, but I figure someone would of said it)

Pokemon Ultimatum
10-20-2009, 02:07 AM
I don't really like harry potter, but its not the worst Iv read im just not in to wizards, I guess.

Ah Beng I the Pikabeng
10-20-2009, 03:02 AM
y so mini-mod?

I did say something else, too.

Well I dislike you. :P

I'm sort of surprised that no one has said Harry Potter. (Don't get me wrong it's my second favorite series, but I figure someone would of said it)

Check out the next post. XP

I don't really like harry potter, but its not the worst Iv read im just not in to wizards, I guess.

So what was the worst? :X

Pokemon Ultimatum
10-22-2009, 05:52 AM
I did say something else, too.

Check out the next post. XP

So what was the worst? :X
Well I said a on my first post that it was( Cat warriors)e er whatever it was called...

Cybernetic Ghost
10-23-2009, 06:12 AM
Really surprised at multiple mentions of Animal farm and Hemmingway. Almost raged. Granted, 1984 was still better than Animal Farm, but Animal Farm was still good.

And personally I'd say The Bluest Eye. It's not that it was bad, but its so depressing I could barley stand it(coming from a man who loves Hemmingway).