PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Movie - A Truth or a Myth?

Assaundrell Yumerai
11-10-2009, 01:45 PM
I don't know if this thread belongs here, but please move if it needs to.

This movie, even that it is not showing yet to our country, lots of people are saying that this this movie is based to an event that will happen in the future. Some say that they believe it, others will just ignore it and say "it's just a movie".

But as for you, do you believe that there will be a "Polar Shift" that will happen in December 21, 2012?

Well, this thread may serve as a discussion to the movie or a discussion to your opinions.

Thank you.

Neo Emolga
11-10-2009, 02:10 PM
Its just a movie. The end of the world has been predicted many times before with a fantastic 0% accuracy rate.

2012 will come and go, and everything will be fine. As for the movie, enjoy it as you would with any sci-fi thriller. Don't take it literally.

-Smoo-
11-10-2009, 04:01 PM
I actually looked into this a while ago. The reason that the planet is supposed to go crazy on December 21st is because we are aligning with our Sun and the Black at the center of our Galaxy. However there is no evidence to prove this. As it happens that "Solar Alignment" actually happened in 2008...

AllYourBaseAreBelongToUs
11-10-2009, 06:03 PM
It'll be just another 6th June 2006 scenario with many people falling for it and panicing, while the more calm and resonable people just ignore it.

Lord Fedora
11-10-2009, 07:08 PM
It's only pseudo-science. The idea is based on the Mayan calendar, which ends in late December of 2012. But not only is it pointless to rely purely on that, there's still controversy over what that means. Some speculate it's a prediction of the end of the world, and others believe it means that it'll harken in a new era, sort of like a Mayan Reinaissance. We have no idea what it was meant to predict and if it even has any backing.

Haze
11-10-2009, 07:44 PM
Based on Mayan calender, which is a cycle of 52 years. Cycle happens to end there and they Mayans didn't make any later dates. Basically it's just the cycle starting again, whoo.

-Smoo-
11-10-2009, 08:19 PM
Modern day maiyans threw out that callander ages ago. I'm just going to hand out leaflets warning of this doomsday for a laugh, see ya.

MYSTRY MEW
11-10-2009, 08:57 PM
There was 6/6/6, 1/1/2000, and numerous other dates.
just another one.
though ill make sure to have my camera on me that date =] should be a memorable christmas

mfauz
11-10-2009, 09:49 PM
Yeah its just people trying to get people exited and scared nothing is going to happen i can tell u that

MYSTRY MEW
11-10-2009, 09:52 PM
if we do die, it wont be from "polar shifts" or "solar flares", it will be everyone panicking to buy fire safe vaults and canned food in preperations for the "end of the world."

Bumblebee16
11-10-2009, 10:27 PM
I don't believe in it, but I am staying indoors that day because I do believe that people will do crazy things that day.

Fierce Deity
11-10-2009, 10:45 PM
I will stand on my front yard staring up at the stars at night as I take photographic evidence of scientific bullshit.

But, in the case that we do all die, I'll be sure to post on PE2k before I die for future civilizations to visit and see.

scubasteveE
11-11-2009, 02:26 AM
I got one thing to say:

I'm not going to wait to do my Christmas shopping the week of. D:

Pokemon_Ron
11-11-2009, 03:24 AM
I wanna see the movie really bad, it looks really good.

But, I think that this whole thing that the world will end in 2012 is a bunch of BS. I have watched shows on the history channel of it, and scientists have done their best to brainwash everyone into believing it.

Limelight
11-11-2009, 10:17 AM
I will stand on my front yard staring up at the stars at night as I take photographic evidence of scientific bullshit.

But, in the case that we do all die, I'll be sure to post on PE2k before I die for future civilizations to visit and see.

omg me 2.

Except I'm going to make a video :cool:

I don't think it will end in 2012.

burningzepp08
11-11-2009, 12:10 PM
ive researched this to the very indept stuff, and all i can say, is that if it happens, oh well, theres nothing on earth that will be able to save us and/or stop it. if it doesnt happen, then awesome, ill continue my life as a metalhead, done.

although i do have a feeling in my gut that it could happen.>.>. being raised christian and all. but now i just research alot of different religions.

!CeMAn
11-13-2009, 02:12 AM
I can't wait to see what happens!!

MYSTRY MEW
11-13-2009, 03:00 AM
I can't wait to see what happens!!

i know right?
should be a day to remember

Orthar
11-13-2009, 03:07 AM
A polar shift doesn't occur in one day. It occurs over thousands of years. The movie is inaccurate, because the myth about 12/21/2012 is total bullshit.

karmachameleon
11-13-2009, 03:10 AM
A polar shift doesn't occur in one day. It occurs over thousands of years. The movie is inaccurate, because the myth about 12/21/2012 is total bullshit.

Yes, the polar shift changes over thousands of years, but the majority positive and negative on either side can switch in one day.

I decided not to go to college since the world is just going to end in 3 years.

GO LIONS

Psychedelic Shroomish
11-13-2009, 03:14 AM
If you get worried about one day where a bunch of people that have been brainwashed by the media believe that the world will end, you need to reevaluate your thinking. Your world could end any day, any moment. Your whole life is a storm, but you can't keep hiding in yourself in fear of what might happen. Go outside of your fears and feel the rain, if you get struck by lightning then at least you gave it a good try.

GO TIGERS

scubasteveE
11-13-2009, 03:23 AM
If you get worried about one day where a bunch of people that have been brainwashed by the media believe that the world will end, you need to reevaluate your thinking. Your world could end any day, any moment. Your whole life is a storm, but you can't keep hiding in yourself in fear of what might happen. Go outside of your fears and feel the rain, if you get struck by lightning then at least you gave it a good try.

GO TIGERS
QFT

I wonder if the government is really building ships to take us to another planet..... if they are...... I FOUND THE REASON WHY THE ECONOMY IS IN SUCH A BAD SHAPE!

Orthar
11-13-2009, 10:13 AM
QFT

I wonder if the government is really building ships to take us to another planet..... if they are...... I FOUND THE REASON WHY THE ECONOMY IS IN SUCH A BAD SHAPE!

They're not--we wouldn't be able to go anywhere.

XaiakuX
11-13-2009, 12:05 PM

I just gained a bunch of respect for you. XD

Yes, 2012, the end of the world. The end of the Mayan Calendar. Total bologna. In my opinion, the Mayans just died out before they could do 2013 on their little calendar. If the end of the world occurs VIA a mass of natural disasters, that only lasts for one day, Then be smart and figure out a way to survive. It's never impossible. If in any other case, I'd say we're screwed. In which case, if it happens, who's to say we don't deserve it? We as humans abuse this planet time and again, if we died out, good riddance.

Mawile-Danmaku
11-13-2009, 12:25 PM
[COLOR="Crimson"]I just gained a bunch of respect for you. XD

Yes, 2012, the end of the world. The end of the Mayan Calendar. COLOR] Not, actually. December 21, 2012 was a turning oint in the calender,whentroled over and reset's days. Like or New Year. The Mayas did predict an apocolapse, bt i was undated.

An the Earth's been around for 13 billon years. There has been drastic pole shifts, but those happened over millions and millions of years.

And in about 5 billion years, the sunwll blow up. But the Earth will probably be a hollow shell, with plant-overrun cities as the only evidence of mankind. that, and talking parrots.

Ayotui
11-13-2009, 12:34 PM
Modern day maiyans threw out that callander ages ago. I'm just going to hand out leaflets warning of this doomsday for a laugh, see ya.

you do know modern day mayans dont exist right.

anyways i think this thing is bullshit. it could be fun to see what happens if something happens though

Dr Robotnik
11-13-2009, 04:47 PM
Yeah, sure, the Human Race is going to die out in three years. Well, as soon as you show me your almighty winged pig, I'll believe you. That'll happen when I find some trace of a brain in my empty noggin, which is not going to be any time soon.

It's just another media hype. And, if it IS another 'End of the World', the Ghostbusters'll stop that one, too *shot for GB2 reference* xD

XaiakuX
11-13-2009, 05:36 PM
Yeah, sure, the Human Race is going to die out in three years. Well, as soon as you show me your almighty winged pig, I'll believe you. That'll happen when I find some trace of a brain in my empty noggin, which is not going to be any time soon.

It's just another media hype. And, if it IS another 'End of the World', the Ghostbusters'll stop that one, too *shot for GB2 reference* xD

Which is a total plug for the third move that's due out in the year 2012. xD

Dylan
11-13-2009, 07:46 PM
It's funny that people believe this. I know what happens: The sun goes to the center of the galaxy (I'm not smart with space and I never did good in space science when I was younger, but isn't the sun already in the center of the galaxy?) and we become aligned with the sun, but on the same day which happens rarely, the polar coordinates switch. This causes floods, quakes, fire balls coming from the sky, everything imaginable. Well you know what I say?

The Mayan's ran out of gold for their damn calendar.

And now it is solved. Either that, or:

The Mayan's got killed by the Aztec ruler, the King of Spain, that one really Shy kid who rules the world. Probably the latter, and they were all wiped out before they could finish their damn calendar.

But I still want to see the movie with my brother when it comes out. It looks cool.

If anyone wants to know about the guy who predicted the world to end in year 2000, PM me.

Yeah, sure, the Human Race is going to die out in three years. Well, as soon as you show me your almighty winged pig, I'll believe you.

Swine flu dude. Don't make fun of the thousands of people who died because of it.

scubasteveE
11-14-2009, 05:16 AM
They're not--we wouldn't be able to go anywhere.
Yeah I know, but when mid-summer 2012 comes and the government announces a lottery, I won't be surprised.
Swine flu dude. Don't make fun of the thousands of people who died because of it.
Yeah I think when he said "almighty winged pig" he was referencing the saying "When pigs fly" not swine flu.

Sequentio
11-14-2009, 05:53 AM
Not, actually. December 21, 2012 was a turning oint in the calender,whentroled over and reset's days. Like or New Year. The Mayas did predict an apocolapse, bt i was undated.

An the Earth's been around for 13 billon years. There has been drastic pole shifts, but those happened over millions and millions of years.

And in about 5 billion years, the sunwll blow up. But the Earth will probably be a hollow shell, with plant-overrun cities as the only evidence of mankind. that, and talking parrots.
... The Earth isn't 13 billion years old. It's between 4 and 6 billion years old. (Or, it could only be a few thousand if you believe in the Bible).

Anywho - there's several reasons why this is complete nonsense.

1. THE CALENDER.
I find it hilarious that the date magically comes out to 12/21/2012, when the meaning of time has shifted over the years. For example, all cultures run off different calendars. It is the year 4707 for the Chinese, 5770 for the Hebrew and 1430 for those of Muslim faith. Calendars, designed to keep track of time - and that is specifically what they do not do. The current Gregorian calendar, which we all function off of was the first to introduce the notion of February 29th. However, said adjustment is suspended every 100 years, though not on the 400th year.

In 46 B.C., the Roman year 709, the Julian calendar was introduced. (And remember, I'm not even going to before said time to mention the Aztecs, Mayans and the Arab's introduction and plausibility of zero within the calendar). So, the Julian Calendar was off by 11 minutes, and by 1582 A.D., there was an error of ten days. Pope Gregory XIII (the Pope at the time) decreed that October 4th would be October 15th to make up for time lost. Those under the influence of the Pope changed the calendars. (And this isn't even dealing with the fact of the 30 or so years lost between hen Jesus was born in 4 B.C. to when he died in 0 A.D.)

Britain, (to whom America should thank for its calendar influence) did not adopt the Gregorian calendar until 1752, when they dropped 11 days from September. It was that same year that New Year's Day was moved from March 25th to January 1st. Back then, March 24th 1750 was followed by March 25 1751.

Therefore, it's highly illogical that ANY sort of phenomenon could have been predicted to land on a certain date when said date was moved continually.

2. NOSTRADAMUS & THE MAYANS.
For some magical reason, scholars have deduced that the Mayan Calendar ends on December 21st, 2012. How they figured that one out is beyond me. I honestly think it's because Mayan's thought several hundred years worth of dates was enough. However, Nostradamus, (who was not only a seer - but a drug addict) picked up on the idea that the world was going to end because of the Mayan's "prediction". Nostradamus also predicted that the anti-christ was going to be born during the Olympics in 2008. Every one of his predictions were vague and really had no merit. Yet... Europe believed in them.

3. ASTROLOGY
I'm sure, other than the Calendar, that this is the most important factor. First and foremost, if somehow the polar ice caps melted, it wouldn't "flood the Earth". Water would rise a maximum of 30 feet or so, if anything - as the sheer amount of water displaced by icebergs (which reach MILES IN DIAMETER) would be replaced by water - therefore filling the void. If any fireballs or meteors were trying to penetrate the atmosphere, the majority would be stopped; BY THE ATMOSPHERE. I know. It's a foreign concept, but I beg of people to go research how many asteroids and meteors try t break through the atmosphere each day.

Anywho – this is just another media ploy, albeit brilliant for money making.

If people actually researched half the things they were told, we wouldn’t have to deal with the ridiculous hysterics of those who think the world will end. And what, (if by SOME reason) it does end? It’s not like anyone can say, “I told you so.” >_>

scubasteveE
11-14-2009, 06:29 AM
... The Earth isn't 13 billion years old. It's between 4 and 6 billion years old. (Or, it could only be a few thousand if you believe in the Bible).

Anywho - there's several reasons why this is complete nonsense.

1. THE CALENDER.
I find it hilarious that the date magically comes out to 12/21/2012, when the meaning of time has shifted over the years. For example, all cultures run off different calendars. It is the year 4707 for the Chinese, 5770 for the Hebrew and 1430 for those of Muslim faith. Calendars, designed to keep track of time - and that is specifically what they do not do. The current Gregorian calendar, which we all function off of was the first to introduce the notion of February 29th. However, said adjustment is suspended every 100 years, though not on the 400th year.

In 46 B.C., the Roman year 709, the Julian calendar was introduced. (And remember, I'm not even going to before said time to mention the Aztecs, Mayans and the Arab's introduction and plausibility of zero within the calendar). So, the Julian Calendar was off by 11 minutes, and by 1582 A.D., there was an error of ten days. Pope Gregory XIII (the Pope at the time) decreed that October 4th would be October 15th to make up for time lost. Those under the influence of the Pope changed the calendars. (And this isn't even dealing with the fact of the 30 or so years lost between hen Jesus was born in 4 B.C. to when he died in 0 A.D.)

Britain, (to whom America should thank for its calendar influence) did not adopt the Gregorian calendar until 1752, when they dropped 11 days from September. It was that same year that New Year's Day was moved from March 25th to January 1st. Back then, March 24th 1750 was followed by March 25 1751.

Therefore, it's highly illogical that ANY sort of phenomenon could have been predicted to land on a certain date when said date was moved continually.

2. NOSTRADAMUS & THE MAYANS.
For some magical reason, scholars have deduced that the Mayan Calendar ends on December 21st, 2012. How they figured that one out is beyond me. I honestly think it's because Mayan's thought several hundred years worth of dates was enough. However, Nostradamus, (who was not only a seer - but a drug addict) picked up on the idea that the world was going to end because of the Mayan's "prediction". Nostradamus also predicted that the anti-christ was going to be born during the Olympics in 2008. Every one of his predictions were vague and really had no merit. Yet... Europe believed in them.

3. ASTROLOGY
I'm sure, other than the Calendar, that this is the most important factor. First and foremost, if somehow the polar ice caps melted, it wouldn't "flood the Earth". Water would rise a maximum of 30 feet or so, if anything - as the sheer amount of water displaced by icebergs (which reach MILES IN DIAMETER) would be replaced by water - therefore filling the void. If any fireballs or meteors were trying to penetrate the atmosphere, the majority would be stopped; BY THE ATMOSPHERE. I know. It's a foreign concept, but I beg of people to go research how many asteroids and meteors try t break through the atmosphere each day.

Anywho – this is just another media ploy, albeit brilliant for money making.

If people actually researched half the things they were told, we wouldn’t have to deal with the ridiculous hysterics of those who think the world will end. And what, (if by SOME reason) it does end? It’s not like anyone can say, “I told you so.” >_>

I agree with your whole post except for the bolded statement. Jesus died sometime between 28-33 A.D. or that part could have been a typo.

Sequentio
11-14-2009, 06:46 AM
I agree with your whole post except for the bolded statement. Jesus died sometime between 28-33 A.D. or that part could have been a typo.
A.D. refers to "Anno Domini", though Biblically, it refers to "After Death," as Anno Domini was not implicated until 525. Therefore; "After Death" would be starting time in 1 AD, loosing the years between 1 BC and 1 AD. (Unless you count Roman years, which did continue).

Although really, time is so ridiculous and filled with numerous contradictions, for all we know - everything is wrong all the time. xD

Mawile-Danmaku
11-14-2009, 01:59 PM
So... it all boils down to time. And hysteria, much like The War of The Worlds radio brodcast... new milleniums have always brought this, in 999 A.D, people thought the world would end in 1000 A.D. But what if the world DOES suddenly end? That would be "bad". But whos complaining? No one. They'd all be dead! Which reminds me:

"There is no "good" or "evil", it only depends on society's view of things." Like mum says I'm too gloomy and dark and such. Maybe because i'm a girl... If I weren't, mum'd tolerate it better. After all, boys are supposed to not like girly things... but it's all in society's view.

MYSTRY MEW
11-14-2009, 06:20 PM
the myan calendar probably ended because the 21st is winter soltice. this page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012)has a lot of interesting (and lulzworthy) facts about 2012

poke123
11-14-2009, 07:18 PM
I think that the whole "world ending in 2012" is a bunch of baloney. There is no way that the Mayans could have even predicted that. And to all those people that say that the Mayan calendar is evidence to the end of the world, I ask you to look at the following pic.

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll268/swampert123/mayancalendar.jpg

Lord Fedora
11-14-2009, 10:19 PM
@Seq: Well one of your figures is off, since Jesus was in his 30's when he died. He was not 4.

In any case, the movie itself is total bull, if not the actual event. It's apparently an awesome movie in its own right, but the science is completely off as it describes it as Neutrinos passing through the earth's core. Now, look to your left. Now your right. You were just looking at billions of neutrinos passing through you and everything around you. They are freaking everywhere and they don't interact with matter in any way, shape or form. Literally, to interfere with their path or vica versa you would need to put a wall of lead six lightyears thick in front of them, and that only cuts the stream in half. So whether the world ends or not, it's not going to be the way the movie says it will.

Sequentio
11-14-2009, 10:32 PM
@Seq: Well one of your figures is off, since Jesus was in his 30's when he died. He was not 4.

In any case, the movie itself is total bull, if not the actual event. It's apparently an awesome movie in its own right, but the science is completely off as it describes it as Neutrinos passing through the earth's core. Now, look to your left. Now your right. You were just looking at billions of neutrinos passing through you and everything around you. They are freaking everywhere and they don't interact with matter in any way, shape or form. Literally, to interfere with their path or vica versa you would need to put a wall of lead six lightyears thick in front of them, and that only cuts the stream in half. So whether the world ends or not, it's not going to be the way the movie says it will.
I did say he was in his thirties, but he was born in 4 B.C.... oddly enough. (Though some will argue 6 or 2.) Hence why I explained the missing gap of several years.

But yes; your point of neutrinos is valid.

I think I'll go see the movie tomorrow. >_<

Lord Fedora
11-14-2009, 10:52 PM
I did say he was in his thirties, but he was born in 4 B.C.... oddly enough. (Though some will argue 6 or 2.) Hence why I explained the missing gap of several years.

But yes; your point of neutrinos is valid.

I think I'll go see the movie tomorrow. >_<
It is supposedly one of the best disaster movies ever, it's just full of terrible science and encouraging a dangerous belief.

Broderick
11-14-2009, 11:39 PM

^ I lol'd.

This whole thing is a load of crap. Even though there are solar flares EVERY. DAY., people for some reason think that if the Earth's Magnetic Polarities shift, (which they do, all the time) we will be defenseless against Nuclear Burps emitted by the sun.
People are retards.

scubasteveE
11-15-2009, 02:57 AM
A.D. refers to "Anno Domini", though Biblically, it refers to "After Death," as Anno Domini was not implicated until 525. Therefore; "After Death" would be starting time in 1 AD, loosing the years between 1 BC and 1 AD. (Unless you count Roman years, which did continue).

Although really, time is so ridiculous and filled with numerous contradictions, for all we know - everything is wrong all the time. xD
Agreed, it's just that most people accept it as 28-33 A.D. When you said 0 A.D., people will think that he only lived to be 4.

But yeah it's so confusing that I think no one will truly put it straight(Well unless time travel was invented xD)

Broderick
11-15-2009, 03:14 AM
Agreed, it's just that most people accept it as 28-33 A.D. When you said 0 A.D., people will think that he only lived to be 4.

But yeah it's so confusing that I think no one will truly put it straight(Well unless time travel was invented xD)

Hey, Jesus might have been 4, you don't know. Hell, I saw a 5 year old do a grind on the half pipe at the park the other day. ._.;
4 YEAR OLDS CAN HAVE BEARDS AND PROPOSE NEW IDEAS. LIKE USING THE POTTY.

scubasteveE
11-15-2009, 05:15 AM
Hey, Jesus might have been 4, you don't know. Hell, I saw a 5 year old do a grind on the half pipe at the park the other day. ._.;
4 YEAR OLDS CAN HAVE BEARDS AND PROPOSE NEW IDEAS. LIKE USING THE POTTY.
Umm, it's historically correct that Jesus lived past 30 :P
Well I guess your the team leader then.