PDA

View Full Version : 1001 Reasons Why Firefox Is Better

Kayden Javlaíakín
07-27-2005, 05:24 PM
O, Internet Explorer,
How hard you are to please!
Ignoring all my efforts,
You only wreck and tease!

Ah, the joy of being a web designer in the age of Internet Explorer owning 80% of the browser share of your site's visitors.

Take a look at [link removed! Don't look!] in both Internet Explorer and Firefox. Try scrolling a bit down and hovering over some of the links on the menu. Firefox does it just fine, but Internet Explorer's behaviour goes beyond all borders of imaginable logic. It puzzles me how it is possible to code a browser to mess anything up like this. Those Microsoft people must be really talented.

The reason for this problem? Internet Explorer does not understand negative bottom margins on link hover. It understands negative top margins, and left and right margins for that matter, on hover without trouble, but not bottom margins. Just how does that make sense? Is there any way to understand that? I certainly have not managed to understand it at all.

*sigh* The only way I can see out of this, other than scrapping the hover effect completely, is to give Internet Explorer special stylesheets, but that will ultimately require me to update 32 stylesheets every time I make a change in the way the site is styled... just having to go through 16 is more than enough... @_@

*sighs again* Okay, done ranting...

Anyway that's just ONE out of MANY reasons you should switch to Firefox.

Another is that having 8 tabs open at once in one window is very convineint.....

Here's a link:
http://mozilla.org/products/firefox
Don't worry, it's free. :wink:

Miravana
07-27-2005, 05:40 PM
Firefox is terrible.. Terrible, I say!

*Sticks with her IE and sets Firefox aflame*

Kayden Javlaíakín
07-27-2005, 07:54 PM
What do you mean?
Firefox PWns!

Matthew
07-27-2005, 08:06 PM

What evidence do you have that IE is better than FF.

paperfairy
07-28-2005, 12:22 AM

1. Firefox has better protection against viruses/spyware

2. Uses less memory while running

3. FF uses TABS, which means you only need to open ONE FF instead of 444564541 IE windows.

Trust me, I switched over 2 weeks ago, and I'm loving it.

-GT

Thoughts: gogo FireFox!

Miravana
07-28-2005, 01:13 AM

None really. I just prefer it.

Alakazam
07-28-2005, 01:43 AM

How is it terrible? Firefox is superior to IE in every concievable way...there's just no contest.

Pokemon Trainer Kimahri
07-28-2005, 02:14 AM
I have safari, Fire fox, and Internet Explorer

TMTS
07-28-2005, 02:24 AM
There's only one downside to firefox... ok two.

1- It's not geocities friendly. I can no longer update my humor website. I have to get a new one.

2- transparancies copy/paste black instead of IE's white, which adds and extra 2 seconds to spriting... >>;

Josh
07-28-2005, 09:45 AM
Geocities unfriendly? Do you mean Yahoo Page Builder. GC works good for me and I use it.

If you're complaing about YPB it's no loss. It's easier if you know basic HTML.

Yami Marik
07-28-2005, 04:36 PM
I just got Firefox last night and it PWns! Much clearer pictures (with IE, the pictures would be blurry), slightly faster, you can change "themes," it lets you use tabs, and the list goes on!

Miravana
07-28-2005, 07:22 PM
So I downloaded Firefox...

I don't see a difference.

Everything looks the same, not clearer. And it loads just as fast as IE, it seems.

So I am not sure what is so wonderful about it.

Jhem
07-28-2005, 07:56 PM
I prefer not to use IE or FireFox.

I use Avant Browser.
It's not that popular, few know about it, but it's similar to FireFox. It has a built in pop-up blocker, zoom feature, Groups feature, record erasing, skins, anda choice how to tab the windows or cascade them.

ANd yes, ANYTHING is better than IE, graduate from it. It has holes in it that allows viruses to download themselves while searching the web (BAD thing).

THere's Ad-blocker, Pop-up blocker, you can disable Java applets, and those stupid pop-ups that appear on the webnpage that aren't in an actual window, which get past other pop-up blockers today.

IMO, Avant is much better than FireFox and much, much, much better than IE ANd is more convenient than it in every single way.

Also, it has an automatic form filler (dunno if FireFox has it) called roboform, which, in case you didn't know byt he name of it, can fill in forms for signing up for e-mail addresses and such all by itself. ALl you'd have to do is preset what e-mail you want to use andyour name, etc. Cool stuff right thurr..

Avant > FireFox > Internet Explorer.

Shael
07-28-2005, 11:21 PM
I use firefox and its good and everything, just one problem that's been bugging me... you can't do Ctrl+I, Ctrl+B, stuff like that for italics, bold, underline (or is there a way? if there is let me know, it'd be greatly appreciated =D)

Hoenn Mirror Girl
07-29-2005, 12:04 AM
I've been using FireFox since who knows when.

Kenny_C.002
07-29-2005, 04:37 AM
Firefox has one major thing against it: its memoy usage. Holy cow does it require a lot of that. My old crappy PC can't RUN the darn thing without slowing down to a turtle's speed (nay half a turtle!). So while it's a good browser ('m using it with my laptop), older PCs should probably just use opera. lol

Not Raik
07-29-2005, 10:11 AM
I have both IE and FF, but I use IE more(Partially because it's easier to access for me. I have it on the top of the start list, can't be bothered to put Firefox there.). One major thing I like more about IE is the smoother scrolling. I sometimes scroll by clicking my scrollwheel and moving the up and down, and IE does this very well. But FF is another thing, it's like, jagged, it moves chunk by chunk, not the smooth operation that IE has. Too bad, I enjoy the tab-browsing though.

And guys, don't forget there are many sites that work only on IE. And many things show up on IE properly only too. Think for compatibility.

Jhem
07-29-2005, 12:02 PM
So far, sites I've been to on Avant Browser are perfectly fine, and I see no difference between them and viewing them with IE.

Also, Avant does the smooth scrolly thing =]

Josh
07-29-2005, 01:59 PM
And guys, don't forget there are many sites that work only on IE. And many things show up on IE properly only too. Think for compatibility.

That's because some people don't think to make it so FF users can view them too.

Eventually the majority of people won't be using IE. Linux users don't.

Neo Emolga
07-30-2005, 07:30 PM
Meh, I kind of feel betrayed by Firefox...

Somehow all my bookmarks were deleted, and for some reason, truckloads of images aren't showing up. And all this just happened randomly and I didn't even change a single thing.

If this continues, its probably back to Netscape for me.

Not Raik
07-31-2005, 02:36 AM
Netscape? It's all about IE, FF, IE, FF now. Netscape just doesn't stand up to them. I think I remember a security flaw in the latest version of Netscape. Oh well, never my thing.

Neo Emolga
07-31-2005, 06:33 AM
Netscape? It's all about IE, FF, IE, FF now. Netscape just doesn't stand up to them. I think I remember a security flaw in the latest version of Netscape. Oh well, never my thing.

Well, I've started using it again, and it seems just fine to me.

Sorry, but Firefox backstabbed me. I've never seen it screw up images that badly before, and it only kept getting worse and worse the more I opened it. Lol, it couldn't even load its own icon correctly...

On the other hand, Mozilla Thunderbird works just fine for me. I have no idea wtf just happened with Firefox though...

Pidgeot79
07-31-2005, 07:41 AM
Meh, I kind of feel betrayed by Firefox...

Somehow all my bookmarks were deleted

That has happened to me numerous times. I don't know why so I keep a backup in my documents just incase.

bronislav84
07-31-2005, 01:06 PM
Wow. I never post in this section, but this thread caught my eye.

PF: I'm glad I recomended it to you. Seems you like it.

Neo: That happened to me a bunch of times too. The thing to do is do what Pidgeot does. Make an export of your bookmarks. I made a folder in my Bookmarks Toolbar that looks like the one from Netscape (I used to use Netscape before FF. I even skinned my FF to use Netscape's Classic theme). I called it Bookmarks, and whenever I need to bookmark something, I drag it in there. I export the folder often and keep two copies. One on my current desktop, and one on the desktop of the Drive from my old PC, which is now part of this one. It's like my backup drive if this PC has a problem and I have to wipe it.

About memory for Kenny. FF is very quick to load for me. I think it's probably because your Lapop is old, like you said.

About the IE only sites for Raik. pcpitstop.com is very good PC diagnosis site. They help people with problems in their PCs. To run it's test programs, the site requires IE, since it's the only browser that uses ActiveX controls.

As a final note, I've had FF since version 0.8, and I haven't stopped using it since. I only use IE when I need to.

Crummie
08-01-2005, 11:17 AM
If you download the right plug-ins for Firefox, it can be a lot of fun. I use a lot of them, and don't know how I could ever go back to using IE. In conclusion...

IE is homosexual.