PDA

View Full Version : The Last Airbender

Trainer17
02-07-2010, 05:20 AM
I'm not sure how many of you guys have watched the Nickleodeon series of Avatar : The Last Airbender, but they're making a real life movie based on that by M Night Shamalan. He was the one who took Stuart Little as well :wink:

Anyways, there's a brand new Teaser Trailer out, and this has all four elements in action. Take a look!

Click (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeTzlC6mN4E)

Any comments?

Bumblebee16
02-07-2010, 05:24 AM
The show was really awesome, so I am seeing the movie, though it doesn't look that good. I hope this is one of those movies that proves me wrong :]

Sixto
02-07-2010, 05:44 AM
The show was really awesome, so I am seeing the movie, though it doesn't look that good. I hope this is one of those movies that proves me wrong :]
Actually, this trailer plesantly surprised me compared to the first one. The announcer's voice only made it better. Makes it seems dark, compared to a light-hearted movie. It looks great. I can't wait!

Bumblebee16
02-07-2010, 05:46 AM
Actually, this trailer plesantly surprised me compared to the first one. The announcer's voice only made it better. Makes it seems dark, compared to a light-hearted movie. It looks great. I can't wait!

I agree with that. The first trailer I saw disappointed me :\

Trainer17
02-07-2010, 06:36 AM
I agree with that. The first trailer I saw disappointed me :\

I was kinda off when they threw in some cheesy dialogue and a mass army of Fire Nation people attacking the Air Temple. This one however, is even more epic, as you can see all four forms, and earth bending was a bit "sandish"...Or maybe are those sand benders from the Desert?(The episode where Appa gets captured?)

Bumblebee16
02-07-2010, 06:43 AM
I was kinda off when they threw in some cheesy dialogue and a mass army of Fire Nation people attacking the Air Temple. This one however, is even more epic, as you can see all four forms, and earth bending was a bit "sandish"...Or maybe are those sand benders from the Desert?(The episode where Appa gets captured?)

Could be, I wonder how Appa (lol I love saying that xD /weird) will look, is he in the trailer? Didn't see it all?

Trainer17
02-07-2010, 06:49 AM
Could be, I wonder how Appa (lol I love saying that xD /weird) will look, is he in the trailer? Didn't see it all?

He is! Hahaha, take a look between 0:09 - 0:11 at the top left hand corner. You can see his tail moving about! xD

spartan117
02-07-2010, 07:12 AM
I dont know how good the movie will but the show was great.
At first I confused Avatar(with the blue guys lol) with this but apparently they took out the avatar name form this movie and just left it "the last airbender."

Trainer17
02-07-2010, 10:52 AM
Actually, the video in youtube was cut off from the original size, and yes, I went to main website and saw the wider trailer. I've screenshot'd the part where Appa appears. Here it is for your viewing pleasure :P

http://i46.tinypic.com/2cpqqvd.png

Bumblebee16
02-07-2010, 04:56 PM
Actually, the video in youtube was cut off from the original size, and yes, I went to main website and saw the wider trailer. I've screenshot'd the part where Appa appears. Here it is for your viewing pleasure :P

http://i46.tinypic.com/2cpqqvd.png

Oh nice, at least he doesn't look bad xD

Sixto
02-07-2010, 06:44 PM
Oh nice, at least he doesn't look bad xD
I hope he looks like he looks in the cartoon.

CrazyTrainer
02-07-2010, 06:45 PM
Yeah thats looks hot dude.

Gamedude
02-07-2010, 08:29 PM
I can't wait for this movie. Avatar is probably my most favorite cartoon.

Operative
02-07-2010, 08:49 PM
The trailer looks really good.

I'll probably be seeing this.

The only thing I'm worried about, is the casting. :F

Bumblebee16
02-07-2010, 08:52 PM
The trailer looks really good.

I'll probably be seeing this.

The only thing I'm worried about, is the casting. :F

Yeah, that was my first concern when I saw this preview.

CrazyTrainer
02-07-2010, 08:53 PM
Yea I seen it it looks good but I think soka is too light they should of made him and his sister a bit darker

Trainer17
02-08-2010, 02:04 AM
Yeah, that was my first concern when I saw this preview.

Well, there were so many comments on the net about this concern, since Katara and her brother were kinda dark, and the Director(racist) /jk puts in some white people(no offense to them), but hey, apart from those flaws, I hope he puts in a lot of good stuff to cover them up =/

scubasteveE
02-09-2010, 04:09 AM
Yea I seen it it looks good but I think soka is too light they should of made him and his sister a bit darker
I hate that and I really don't see them as flaws. Nit picking at those little things will make some people hate the movie before it even comes out. It will be Dragon Ball Evolution all over again.

Pokemon_Ron
02-09-2010, 04:31 AM
Saw the trailer to this movie last night. I quit watching the show like 3 years ago. From what I saw, the movie looks good.

Lord Fedora
02-10-2010, 01:55 AM
I hate that and I really don't see them as flaws. Nit picking at those little things will make some people hate the movie before it even comes out. It will be Dragon Ball Evolution all over again.
I do hate the movie before it comes out. The Water Tribes are Inuit and the other three Nations are Asian, and the characters matched that. You don't cast Inuit and Asian characters with white actors, that's called racism. So I will hate this movie before it even comes out, and I will not give it my money, because I will not support racism.

Operative
02-10-2010, 02:16 AM
Not just because of skin colour or whatever.

I just don't know how they're going to be able to pull off the characters themselves. :P

It will be Dragon Ball Evolution all over again.

Yes, but everything about that movie was terrible. Except for the fact that it was Dragon Ball.

Sixto
02-10-2010, 02:24 AM
I do hate the movie before it comes out. The Water Tribes are Inuit and the other three Nations are Asian, and the characters matched that. You don't cast Inuit and Asian characters with white actors, that's called racism. So I will hate this movie before it even comes out, and I will not give it my money, because I will not support racism.
How is that racist? Inuits fit the role the Water Tribe and from the trailer I couldn't tell if everyone else was Asian. The movie might or might not be racist, but you are judgemental.

scubasteveE
02-10-2010, 04:46 AM
Uhhh ok...... I don't really see this being racist. And if you're going to base your opinion of the movie off of that, then I hope you never become a movie reviewer, because you would get flamed to death.

Yes, but everything about that movie was terrible. Except for the fact that it was Dragon Ball.
True, but it did get a lot of hate that it didn't deserve and I personally didn't think it was terrible. Don't get me wrong though, it was no where near good.
How is that racist? Inuits fit the role the Water Tribe and from the trailer I couldn't tell if everyone else was Asian. The movie might or might not be racist, but you are judgemental.
Yeah I agree and I personally think race doesn't matter. For example, if they make a live action pokemon movie and get a black kid to play ash, I wouldn't think it's racist. I would think they're idiots, but not racists.

Synester
02-10-2010, 05:02 AM
I do hate the movie before it comes out. The Water Tribes are Inuit and the other three Nations are Asian, and the characters matched that. You don't cast Inuit and Asian characters with white actors, that's called racism. So I will hate this movie before it even comes out, and I will not give it my money, because I will not support racism.How exactly is that racist? You kind of lost me.

Lord Fedora
02-10-2010, 05:21 AM
I said that Inuits fit the Water tribe, unfortunately the actors playing Sokka and Katara are white, same with the actor playing Aang. Dev Patel is playing Zuko, but the role was originally going to go to Jesse McCartney-yep, another white guy.

@Scuba & Synester: "What if someone made a “fantasy” movie in which the entire world was built around African culture. Everyone is wearing ancient African clothes, African hats, eating traditional African food, writing in an African language, living in African homes, all encompassed in an African landscape...but everyone is white." -Derek Kirk Kim

That is the stance I stand by. I don't believe that the producers or the casting directors are being racist. In fact, I believe their statements that they're trying to make the show more ethnically diverse. But the simple fact is that when every single one of the heroes is white and the villain (for the first movie at least) is the only ethnic main character, then it is a problem. We then proceeded to inform them of why it was a problem through a letter writing campaign. They ignored this. They attempted to justify it without even considering the connotations. Therefore, it is racist.

scubasteveE
02-10-2010, 06:02 AM
I said that Inuits fit the Water tribe, unfortunately the actors playing Sokka and Katara are white, same with the actor playing Aang. Dev Patel is playing Zuko, but the role was originally going to go to Jesse McCartney-yep, another white guy.

@Scuba & Synester: "What if someone made a “fantasy” movie in which the entire world was built around African culture. Everyone is wearing ancient African clothes, African hats, eating traditional African food, writing in an African language, living in African homes, all encompassed in an African landscape...but everyone is white." -Derek Kirk Kim

That is the stance I stand by. I don't believe that the producers or the casting directors are being racist. In fact, I believe their statements that they're trying to make the show more ethnically diverse. But the simple fact is that when every single one of the heroes is white and the villain (for the first movie at least) is the only ethnic main character, then it is a problem. We then proceeded to inform them of why it was a problem through a letter writing campaign. They ignored this. They attempted to justify it without even considering the connotations. Therefore, it is racist.
Well not everyone in Africa is black, but I do see your point. But if someone makes cultural movie based on Africa, I don't think they'll be dumb enough to exclude black people from the movie.*knocks on wood*

Wow, I think you're looking way to much into this. Also, you're sort of contradicted yourself. You said that the producers and casting directors are not being racists, then it sounds like you're accusing them of racism for casting the good guys to be white and the bad guys to be a different culture. Did you ever think it was a coincidence that it just happen that way. I just see this as assumption. Also I personally think racism isn't racism without intent. There's no "Oh, there being racists but they don't know they're being racists."

Also since you got that quote from wiki then you should of seen that M. Night Shyamalan was born in India, an Asian country. So I guess he's being racists to himself?

Sixto
02-10-2010, 12:08 PM

It sounds to me that you're looking at skin color, not race. You keep mentioning white, but white isn't a race, it's a color, perse.

And I agree with Scuba.

Lord Fedora
02-10-2010, 02:47 PM
It sounds to me that you're looking at skin color, not race. You keep mentioning white, but white isn't a race, it's a color, perse.

And I agree with Scuba.
I'm referring to white as in Caucasian. It's simply faster to type.

So tell me something Scuba. If you were to say the N word around a bunch of black guys without any intent of being racist, you'd be surprised if they kicked your ass? Racism doesn't just have to do with intent, it also has to do with perception, and I, as well as several hundreds of other Avatar fans and people who have never even seen the show but heard about the controversy, took one look at screengrabs of the characters and went "what idiots cast these with white characters?" as seen here. (http://www.racebending.com/v3/) I advise reading up and seeing exactly where these allegations are coming from, since I really don't feel like doing it myself for the thousandth time (not to you, mind, I've had to do this argument a lot).

And yeah, Scuba, I realize that Shamylan is South Asian. I also realize that racism, when unintentional, can come from anybody at anybody regardless of race.

Ayotui
02-10-2010, 03:09 PM
ok so first of all if you look at the map of the avatar world, you see that the water and wind tribes are located in the north and south of the world, and in these areas most people are white. while the earth and fire nations are located closer to the center of the world, where most people have a darker skin tone.

maybe the casting directors had this in mind when casting

Sixto
02-10-2010, 03:23 PM

So tell me something Scuba. If you were to say the N word around a bunch of black guys without any intent of being racist, you'd be surprised if they kicked your ass? Racism doesn't just have to do with intent, it also has to do with perception, and I, as well as several hundreds of other Avatar fans and people who have never even seen the show but heard about the controversy, took one look at screengrabs of the characters and went "what idiots cast these with white characters?" as seen here. (http://www.racebending.com/v3/) I advise reading up and seeing exactly where these allegations are coming from, since I really don't feel like doing it myself for the thousandth time (not to you, mind, I've had to do this argument a lot).

And yeah, Scuba, I realize that Shamylan is South Asian. I also realize that racism, when unintentional, can come from anybody at anybody regardless of race.
Well, you've made it clear that you don't want to see the movie. Let's try not to make this a racism issue. If you don't want to see the movie, fine. But I would prefer positive comments. As you said, this issue has been brought up in other places, we don't want it here too. =]

Lord Fedora
02-10-2010, 04:01 PM
ok so first of all if you look at the map of the avatar world, you see that the water and wind tribes are located in the north and south of the world, and in these areas most people are white. while the earth and fire nations are located closer to the center of the world, where most people have a darker skin tone.

maybe the casting directors had this in mind when casting

That's actually false, the casting decisions were made in an attempt to, in their opinion, make the cast more diverse than the actual Asian characters. They did this horribly, and didn't listen to a word when the fans told them that or when the actual creators made their displeasure with the changes clear.

Well, you've made it clear that you don't want to see the movie. Let's try not to make this a racism issue. If you don't want to see the movie, fine. But I would prefer positive comments. As you said, this issue has been brought up in other places, we don't want it here too. =]

The reason that I don't want to see the movie is a racism issue. But whatever, I've made my point clear and I've plugged the website, so I'll be taking my leave now.

scubasteveE
02-11-2010, 12:39 AM

Well I would never say that, but if I did, then yeah, in the US, that word is taboo to them. But then, there is some black people who don't care. See it's sort of misty, do you think that every Asian person thinks this is racist? I just don't really by it. To be bluntly honest, I personally think it's people trying to start something, just to make it a controversial.

But yeah lets just turn this thread back into the right direction and off of racism.

Trainer17
04-24-2010, 06:52 AM
Okay, so, no more fighting/etc about racism bending that occured in the show. Anyways, the final theatrical trailer is out. So here's a link for your viewing pleasure.

Clicky (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tz3HOUtHXCU)

Some spoilers of the Trailers.

- Appa flying in full mode (you can see Appa flying)
- Fire Nations' Comodo Dragons(Zuko is on it I think)
- Aang flies with his super glider
- Roku's Dragon
- Master Paku (from the Northern Water Tribe)
- Aang bends water
- Zuko's epic voice
- Iroh's epic fire bending/fierce look

and many more.

Gem N Ems
04-24-2010, 12:00 PM
Okay, so, no more fighting/etc about racism bending that occured in the show. Anyways, the final theatrical trailer is out. So here's a link for your viewing pleasure.

Clicky (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tz3HOUtHXCU)

Some spoilers of the Trailers.

- Appa flying in full mode (you can see Appa flying)
- Fire Nations' Comodo Dragons(Zuko is on it I think)
- Aang flies with his super glider
- Roku's Dragon
- Master Paku (from the Northern Water Tribe)
- Aang bends water
- Zuko's epic voice
- Iroh's epic fire bending/fierce look

and many more.

I still hate the cast. With a passion. XD But that trailer is epic, I can't wait to see it. <3

AND in 3D. Yush. I will be seeing this. c:

Trainer17
04-24-2010, 12:20 PM
I still hate the cast. With a passion. XD But that trailer is epic, I can't wait to see it. <3

AND in 3D. Yush. I will be seeing this. c:

I never knew there was one who hated in passion. Glad I got to know you, Gemma. Yes, this trailer really made me go "zomgwtf"; especially when I saw Appa flying in the first few seconds!

Second thoughts, that Dragon might not be Roku's. I mean, it talks, and it appears out of nowhere. It's most likely HOE. I mean, KOH the face stealer.

Sixto
04-24-2010, 02:34 PM
Wooooo! I'm excited! I can't wait! And it's friggin' Appa! Woooo!

Gem N Ems
04-24-2010, 02:53 PM
I never knew there was one who hated in passion. Glad I got to know you, Gemma. Yes, this trailer really made me go "zomgwtf"; especially when I saw Appa flying in the first few seconds!

Second thoughts, that Dragon might not be Roku's. I mean, it talks, and it appears out of nowhere. It's most likely HOE. I mean, KOH the face stealer.

Eeehh...shut up. Short version is I hate it. That's all that matters. xD

I saw Appa and I was like ZOMG! And rewinded it so I could see it again. XDDDD

Trainer17
06-21-2010, 12:27 PM
I'm not sure how many of you guys bother, But I'm going to post some images cuz they look so frigging cool. Oh, and the Movie releases on 1st July North America, 16th September in Australia, and other release dates are here (http://www.thelastairbendermovie.com/intl/releasedates/). I pity for Greece.

http://www.lastairbenderfans.com/images/gallery/ng_19.jpg^Appa playing with kids.

http://www.lastairbenderfans.com/cutenews/data/upimages/iphone_app_01.jpg
^Momo

http://www.lastairbenderfans.com/images/gallery/ng_17.jpg
^Commander Zhao speaking with Fire Lord Ozai

http://www.lastairbenderfans.com/images/gallery/ng_20.jpgUncle Iroh having Tea with Zuko

http://www.lastairbenderfans.com/images/gallery/ng_29.jpgAang in Avatar State

Lord Fedora
06-21-2010, 01:01 PM
Does Appa remind anyone else of the dragon from The NeverEnding Story?

Quantooce
06-21-2010, 01:23 PM
It's going to bomb, guaranteed.

Black Hawk
06-21-2010, 02:34 PM
Firelord Ozai doesn't have enough fire around him and his hair is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY to short.

Fierce Deity
06-21-2010, 06:02 PM
Wtf is wrong with Uncle Iroh, Commander Zhao, and the Fire Lord. He basically just chose a whole family of Arabs, threw them into the Fire Nation's roles, and called it a day. Oh, and they could've done much better on Zuko's scar.

Princess Yue looks almost exactly like she does in the show, which impressed me.

Judgmental Arceus
06-21-2010, 06:05 PM
Unscarred Zuko's face is unscarred

Bumblebee16
06-21-2010, 06:07 PM
Wtf is wrong with Uncle Iroh, Commander Zhao, and the Fire Lord. He basically just chose a whole family of Arabs, threw them into the Fire Nation's roles, and called it a day. Oh, and they could've done much better on Zuko's scar.

Princess Yue looks almost exactly like she does in the show, which impressed me.

She does look exactly the same. Its one of the few things that does.

Unscarred Zuko's face is unscarred

Its there, it's just hard to see. I missed it the first time.

iChaos
06-30-2010, 09:51 PM
I really whish that the co-creators would pick better actors, it looks like the movie was rushed into! But I hope things come out better!

Fierce Deity
07-02-2010, 04:15 AM
Do not see the movie. Never again.

Lord Fedora
07-02-2010, 01:54 PM
I really whish that the co-creators would pick better actors, it looks like the movie was rushed into! But I hope things come out better!
Mike and Bryan didn't pick the actors, that was all Shyamylan. And may I just say, my favorite part of every movie's review was that the acting sucked. AIN'T THAT KARMA FOR YA?

Synester
07-15-2010, 08:38 AM
That movie was terrible. I can't believe people thought even for half a second that it was going to be good. :rolleyes:

scubasteveE
07-16-2010, 04:46 AM
I'm giving on movie goers. >_> They're pretty much robots that movie reviewers have programed to like and not what to like.

I also want to add, even though the kid was casted off the internet and was his first movie which he played the leading role, Noah Ringer did a damn good job playing Aang.