PDA

View Full Version : Warning; DeviantArt Ads Give Viruses

Sequentio
03-08-2010, 11:21 AM
A few days ago, I was in the middle of an URPG Battle. While battling I was checking on all my "dailies", you know. The websites you check once or twice a day for updates? I am really fond of DeviantArt because of the wonderful artisitc skills displayed there. I always check on a handful of artists. But when I clicked one of them, my computer began to spazz. The internet shut down and a program came up called; "Vista Guardian 2010".

This is a very, very malicious malware program that can destroy your harddrive if not taken care of quickly. It brings up a bogus Windows Defender (which is linked and covered in our control panel) and performs fake scans, saying your computer is infested with many viruses that it isn't. The only ones infecting your computer is that one. :/

It also can change its name to;
XP Guardian 2010
Windows Guardian 2010
XP AntiSpyware 2010
Vista AntiSpyware 2010
Windows AntiSpyware 2010
(And a few more are possible).

Also, as a warning, it can disable your Task Menu and Internet as well as any other programs that have .exe in them.

Of course, the fact that it was on DA was a fluke... until it happened again two days later.

I went to the main site when Vista AntiSpyware 2010 popped up, and it's gotten smarter. It avoided detection from several virus scanners. (Avast!, AOL, Windows Defender and SpywareDoctor with Antivirus). I had to again reboot my computer into Safe Mode to disable the lock on .exe programs (in which the malware still runs actively) to download MalwareBytes. This found and cleaned seven more viruses, trojans and malware/spyware.

I checked online, and it seems other people have been getting viruses and the like from the ADs advertised on DeviantArt.

So as a general warning for pe2k;
AVOID DEVIANT ART FOR A FEW DAYS. :x

Professor Geoffrey
03-08-2010, 11:39 AM
'Tis sad. =[

I don't go on my dA often, but just four months ago, my computer was practically ate up by the exact same virus. Now, it was old, and I didn't save it in time, but I did manage to save a lot of the files. I think I can still save it by going into Safe Mode and going through the process and whatnot, but I just don't have the time.

So if that's the explanation for that worm, I'm never going on dA again. =/

Sequentio
03-08-2010, 12:02 PM
'Tis sad. =[

I don't go on my dA often, but just four months ago, my computer was practically ate up by the exact same virus. Now, it was old, and I didn't save it in time, but I did manage to save a lot of the files. I think I can still save it by going into Safe Mode and going through the process and whatnot, but I just don't have the time.

So if that's the explanation for that worm, I'm never going on dA again. =/
Yeah. It's really nasty.
It seemed to have messed with my Registry Keys already. I have to perform a System Restore. :/

burningzepp08
03-08-2010, 02:20 PM
A few days ago, I was in the middle of an URPG Battle. While battling I was checking on all my "dailies", you know. The websites you check once or twice a day for updates? I am really fond of DeviantArt because of the wonderful artisitc skills displayed there. I always check on a handful of artists. But when I clicked one of them, my computer began to spazz. The internet shut down and a program came up called; "Vista Guardian 2010".

This is a very, very malicious malware program that can destroy your harddrive if not taken care of quickly. It brings up a bogus Windows Defender (which is linked and covered in our control panel) and performs fake scans, saying your computer is infested with many viruses that it isn't. The only ones infecting your computer is that one. :/

It also can change its name to;
XP Guardian 2010
Windows Guardian 2010
XP AntiSpyware 2010
Vista AntiSpyware 2010
Windows AntiSpyware 2010
(And a few more are possible).

Also, as a warning, it can disable your Task Menu and Internet as well as any other programs that have .exe in them.

Of course, the fact that it was on DA was a fluke... until it happened again two days later.

I went to the main site when Vista AntiSpyware 2010 popped up, and it's gotten smarter. It avoided detection from several virus scanners. (Avast!, AOL, Windows Defender and SpywareDoctor with Antivirus). I had to again reboot my computer into Safe Mode to disable the lock on .exe programs (in which the malware still runs actively) to download MalwareBytes. This found and cleaned seven more viruses, trojans and malware/spyware.

I checked online, and it seems other people have been getting viruses and the like from the ADs advertised on DeviantArt.

So as a general warning for pe2k;
AVOID DEVIANT ART FOR A FEW DAYS. :x

I have a friend who this happened to as well. He said that it starts scanning your stuff, and well, he shut him computer off quickly, and managed to save most of his files with a flash drive. He fixed his computer the other day.

Ummm...is this happening to everyone? Because I've been getting on DA..well, like a week after it happened to my friend.(this was back in around mid feb.) And i haven't gotten anything (hopefully). I've ran Kaspersky's Full Scan, and it says that my computer is healthy. Same goes for when i check things with Spybot.

Sequentio
03-08-2010, 02:42 PM
I have a friend who this happened to as well. He said that it starts scanning your stuff, and well, he shut him computer off quickly, and managed to save most of his files with a flash drive. He fixed his computer the other day.

Ummm...is this happening to everyone? Because I've been getting on DA..well, like a week after it happened to my friend.(this was back in around mid feb.) And i haven't gotten anything (hopefully). I've ran Kaspersky's Full Scan, and it says that my computer is healthy. Same goes for when i check things with Spybot.
It seems it's happening to a lot of people, specifically with DeviantArt.

I've also heard the ads from various Mario Paint Composer websites will have the ads too, as affirmed by a friend of mine who had that happen thrice there.

And yeah. It starts to scan your stuff and make up false viruses and it prompts you to buy the full thing. That should be a red flag first of all, because no Windows Update requires a purchase online. Several have reported stolen identities and stuff from "attempting to purchase" it, thinking it was real. D:

Elecii
03-08-2010, 03:04 PM
It happened on my mum's laptop. I was only on here and GPX+ or something, which I always use. I don't think it just gets through going onto certian websites, I think it searches for random computers. It came up through the internet as a webpage. All the "You have *number* amount of viruses" was as one picture, the typing was part of the picture, so straight away I guessed it was fake. I told my mum, she got my grandad round and he put a program thing on and it said there were alot of fake alerts.

It was called Vista Guardian 2010, just like you said it was called.

My grandad then put the program on my laptop, because it was so slow I couldn't use it, which was why I was using my mum's.

It also comes up in the corner of your screen, if it does, don't click anything on it apart from the close button.

My dad was using our desktop, and a thing came up in the corner, which he'd never seen. He clicked it, thinking it was something to do with my mum's work. A trojan thingy got through, and we had to get my grandad round to sort it.

So if you ever see something in the bottom right hand corner you know nothing of, don't click it, it's probably a virus.

The thingy got through a month or so ago.

If it comes through as a webpage, close it, then clear it down using something or other.

~Elecii

Sequentio
03-08-2010, 03:14 PM
It's not actually the websites itself that cause them.
It's the adverisements on the websites, unfortunately. D:

The advertisements don't even need you to click them to start downloading and infesting your software. Just always be careful about where you go and make sure to have Ad Blocker Plus in Mozilla as well as MalwareBytes and preferably another active system that alerts you when they are found. (Such as Avast!).

burningzepp08
03-08-2010, 04:04 PM
It seems it's happening to a lot of people, specifically with DeviantArt.

I've also heard the ads from various Mario Paint Composer websites will have the ads too, as affirmed by a friend of mine who had that happen thrice there.

And yeah. It starts to scan your stuff and make up false viruses and it prompts you to buy the full thing. That should be a red flag first of all, because no Windows Update requires a purchase online. Several have reported stolen identities and stuff from "attempting to purchase" it, thinking it was real. D:

Damn..that is some crazy stuff there. I was reading in your OP(original post) that you used Safe Mode and actually got around to delete some lingering viruses. How can i do that? I'm not sure if i do have any or if i don't. But i just want to make sure. So far my computer has been running perfectly, the same when i first bought it. BUT i can never be too sure, right?

EDIT: What's this Ad Blocker Plus you talk about?

I'm sorry, I'm sort of dumb when it comes to computers..lol

Sequentio
03-08-2010, 04:08 PM
Damn..that is some crazy stuff there. I was reading in your OP(original post) that you used Safe Mode and actually got around to delete some lingering viruses. How can i do that? I'm not sure if i do have any or if i don't. But i just want to make sure. So far my computer has been running perfectly, the same when i first bought it. BUT i can never be too sure, right?

EDIT: What's this Ad Blocker Plus you talk about?

I'm sorry, I'm sort of dumb when it comes to computers..lol
Yeah. When I first got it, it stopped access to any .exe programs as well as my Task Menu. This made me have to restart my computer in Safe Mode. To start your computer in Safe Mode, repeatedly tap the F8 button as soon as you start it up again. You will be presented with options. If you have Vista, I choose the second safe mode option to enable .exe programs.

It's then I used MalwareBytes to run a scan and then rebooted again in regular mode.

Elecii
03-08-2010, 04:10 PM
I've got MalawareBytes on my laptop, so has my mum now. It came up every now and then asking for the purchase, and it gave two options, both of which asked for a purchase, and it was really hard to close down without going to the purchase page.

~Elecii

burningzepp08
03-08-2010, 04:15 PM
Yeah. When I first got it, it stopped access to any .exe programs as well as my Task Menu. This made me have to restart my computer in Safe Mode. To start your computer in Safe Mode, repeatedly tap the F8 button as soon as you start it up again. You will be presented with options. If you have Vista, I choose the second safe mode option to enable .exe programs.

It's then I used MalwareBytes to run a scan and then rebooted again in regular mode.

Alright, thanks for explaining. :)

Sequentio
03-08-2010, 04:18 PM
I've got MalawareBytes on my laptop, so has my mum now. It came up every now and then asking for the purchase, and it gave two options, both of which asked for a purchase, and it was really hard to close down without going to the purchase page.

~Elecii

That's odd, because it does indeed have a Purchase option, but it does provide wonderful free ware.

Alright, thanks for explaining. :)

Not a problem. :D

Starkipraggy
03-12-2010, 09:28 PM
I feel kinda lucky I dualboot Windows and Linux. :x

My Norton AntiVirus hasn't come up with anything. I guess there's a use for it though it's clunky and slow.