PDA

View Full Version : Too Young For Facebook?

Gamedude
03-13-2010, 06:34 PM
So as most of you all have is Facebook. Facebook was made in February 4, 2004 in a Harvard University dorm room. It was first meant for just Harvard University as a school project. It was later opened up to only university student then high school students. Now its open to anyone age 13 and up! I signed up on facebook right after they just let high school students join (even though I wasn't in high school at the time ;D). Today I was searching around threw facebook and I found my friend Kayla's little brother on facebook. Now Kayla's little brother is 8 years old. I'm like "Kayla, your little brother is on FACEBOOK!". Then she told me that he goes on everyday (like my self). Then the thought popped up.

Is being 8 years old to young for facebook?

Pokemon_Ron
03-13-2010, 07:20 PM
If you got friends on there, why not?

DemonicWolf
03-13-2010, 07:41 PM
see i dont even have a facebook and im 12 but i think the same as you pokemon ron if there are friend on there why not

Ayotui
03-13-2010, 08:19 PM
my cousins 2 year old baby has a facebook, its mostly for watching pictures of him though. but if a 2 year old boy can be on facebook i think anybody can

Pokemon_Ron
03-14-2010, 06:16 PM
I mean, it's not like theres horny old creeps on there, right?
O:

Volcanflame
03-14-2010, 06:34 PM
My cousin (who's in the sixth grade) got a facebook. It gets really annoying every time she comments on my status, pics, etc, and starts asking stupid questions. (I wish I hadn't accepted her friend request, but then again, she's part of the family).

So yeah, too young. They should really ban underaged kids on facebook.

-Volcan-

austbot
03-14-2010, 07:25 PM
My cousin (who's in the sixth grade) got a facebook. It gets really annoying every time she comments on my status, pics, etc, and starts asking stupid questions. (I wish I hadn't accepted her friend request, but then again, she's part of the family).

So yeah, too young. They should really ban underaged kids on facebook.

-Volcan-

Now that really ticks me off. Just because one person is annoying you think that everyone around there age shouldnt have a facebook?! Plus you can always REMOVE people from your friends.

Pokemon_Ron
03-14-2010, 07:37 PM
Now that really ticks me off. Just because one person is annoying you think that everyone around there age shouldnt have a facebook?! Plus you can always REMOVE people from your friends.

He said he didn't wanna remove her from his friends because she's family, 'ya digg?

Hypocrisy is Fun
05-13-2010, 07:21 PM
You said it yourself even you joined before you were in highschool.

You were just as vulnerable to "old creeps" as he is.

Blame parents for not monitoring what their kids do/allowing things to happen.

Judgmental Arceus
05-13-2010, 09:35 PM
So as most of you all have is Facebook. Facebook was made in February 4, 2004 in a Harvard University dorm room. It was first meant for just Harvard University as a school project. It was later opened up to only university student then high school students. Now its open to anyone age 13 and up! I signed up on facebook right after they just let high school students join (even though I wasn't in high school at the time ;D). Today I was searching around threw facebook and I found my friend Kayla's little brother on facebook. Now Kayla's little brother is 8 years old. I'm like "Kayla, your little brother is on FACEBOOK!". Then she told me that he goes on everyday (like my self). Then the thought popped up.

Is being 8 years old to young for facebook?

I'm probably part of a minority as I was in the discussions area of a page and there are people who brag about being 8 and older loving their Twilight and their Justin Beiber. I start a mature conversation and then there is all this immature trolling over how I'm too old to be discussing what they want to discuss. Thus, my opinion is made.

Masami
05-13-2010, 09:38 PM
Privacy options = paedo defence system.

Lusankya
05-13-2010, 10:06 PM
As long as they don't become netddicted.

Professor Geoffrey
05-13-2010, 10:12 PM
As long as the eight year olds are responsible and doesn't add anybody outside of their age group (unless that person is a well-trusted individual), it's fine. I mean, I don't know how long ago this happened, but I blindly accepted this friendship from a guy I didn't know. He didn't stalk me, but he just thought I was someone else he know. Still, he's nice, and talks to me from time to time and I talk back, but he's on the other side of the country in relation to me, and I'll never put out my home adress on Facebook. Or on the internet in general unless it's required, like buying something on eBay or whatever. =]

spartan117
05-13-2010, 10:27 PM
I think they should follow the 13+ rule. Most dont obviously but to me most kids seem immature on Facebook. No offense to anyone but my sister is 10 and she and all her friends have facebook now....and like everything they post and do is just really immature.
I think Facebook shouldve remained exclusive to highschoolers and up but whatever its too late now.

Ken
06-02-2010, 03:41 AM
I, like Wolf, am 12 and don't have a Facebook page, however I know a lot about it because of my sister and dad.

I think that people should follow the 13+ rule. Honestly, the rule was put there for a reason: There are things on the internet, online social sites especially, that 8 year olds (And anywhere around that age) should just not be exposed to this early in their life. A really creepy thing about online social sites like Facebook or Myspace (In my opinion) is that anybody can check out your profile and learn things about you. Then they can PM you very inapropriot things. Thus, I really think that the 13+ rules should be securily enforced.

NikoBelic999
06-02-2010, 04:00 AM
I don't have a facebook, myspace, or twitter, because I think that all they are are lures for kids so old people or pedafiles can try to have their way with kids.

I DO NOT WANT ONE EITHER...

burningzepp08
06-02-2010, 04:04 AM
I, like Wolf, am 12 and don't have a Facebook page, however I know a lot about it because of my sister and dad.

I think that people should follow the 13+ rule. Honestly, the rule was put there for a reason: There are things on the internet, online social sites especially, that 8 year olds (And anywhere around that age) should just not be exposed to this early in their life. A really creepy thing about online social sites like Facebook or Myspace (In my opinion) is that anybody can check out your profile and learn things about you. Then they can PM you very inapropriot things. Thus, I really think that the 13+ rules should be securily enforced.

Agreed.

The thing is that when it comes to things like Myspace and Facebook, when things like rape and death happen due to people meeting online and meeting in real life, it overshadows age, because those rape cases have been of like, 18 year olds getting raped. Personally, i do agree with your post, but also, it's not really about age, it's about common sense.

I don't have a facebook, myspace, or twitter, because I think that all they are are lures for kids so old people or pedafiles can try to have their way with kids.

I DO NOT WANT ONE EITHER...
lols, you can do the same in forums.

Sieses
06-02-2010, 04:09 AM
I believe that if a rule is made there is a good reason for said rule and it should be followed. Kids think they know better than the people who made the rule but that couldn't be any farther from the truth. If the child in question is more mature than anyone else his age and knows what he's doing then fine, let him on. I can tell you now this is rarely ever the case. If the child continues to want one and won't give up you need to keep him on an extremely short leash so they don't do anything dumb, which would be a lot of work. Children that age also have very little common sense (kids my age have very little common sense >.>) so they also cannot be allowed to do something so potentially dangerous. I dunno, this is a pet peeve of mine, I guess.

So now that my small rant is over, and just start reading here if you only want my opinion; yes that is way too young for Facebook.

Ken
06-02-2010, 04:13 AM
Agreed.

The thing is that when it comes to things like Myspace and Facebook, when things like rape and death happen due to people meeting online and meeting in real life, it overshadows age, because those rape cases have been of like, 18 year olds getting raped. Personally, i do agree with your post, but also, it's not really about age, it's about common sense.

That is true, but that's not exactly what I was aiming at. I was aiming at the fact that if little kids get exposed to mature themes (like sex or some major swear words) then it could damage then mentally, and affect the life that is yet to come. For instance, say a kid is at a friends house, then says "c***" because he saw the word on Facebook. Chances are, the kid would not get to come back to his friend's house. Likewise, if a little kid gets exposed to sex and sexual things on Facebook at a young age, then he or she may grow up craving that, and now being interested in anything else (It's rare, but it happens.)

However, I do see your point as well. The fact that it is mainly 18 year olds participating in the actually "internet cafe" things. And while I agree that it's about common sense, it does have something to do about age. The older you are, the more experience you have in knowing what is wrong and what is right on the internet, and how to limit and protect yourself when it comes to the internet. Thus, the older you are the more common sense you have. For instance, you and me would have the common sense to stay away from a link that says "CLICK HERE FOR D*** SHOTS!" However, a young 8-year-old might not because he just doesn't know better, and thus does not have the knowledge to not click on the link.

Broderick
06-02-2010, 04:35 AM
Yeah, you need to be at least 13 before joining. One person I know at school posted a picture of herself in pajama pants and a bra from like some slumber part album or whatever, and any one of her 200+ "friends" could see that. Any one of those could be someone that's 10 or 11, being a friends younger sibling, you know?

And about the whole "if they're immature delete them" thing, it's weird. You want to... but then you're like "ehhh that'd be mean" so you don't, and it goes on like that for a while. Then if you decide not to accept someone's friend request, that says something as well.
It's confusing, and it shouldn't be. It's a damn social networking site, I mean come on.

Teddiursa of the Sky
06-02-2010, 12:09 PM
Well, to be honest, they can't do anything about the age requirement. Kids can just lie about their ages. I did when I joined Runescape back in 05 and I was only 11.

In my opinion, why would you need to ban it from young kids? Set the privacy settings to shield your kid(s) from intruders and get over it. You can't shield your kids from bad stuff for ever which is what many parents do now days. And to be honest, a pedafile wouldn't mess with a kid on Facebook. No matter if it is a PM or not, Facebook still monitors and censors them.

George Jefferson
06-02-2010, 01:01 PM
I'm 21. I have a few nephews and nieces on FB that are in the single digits or just barely making it into the double digits.

What's my view?

Gtfo, I hate most of my family.

Jessu
06-02-2010, 07:23 PM
That's the problem. Most parents DON'T shield their kids from the horrors of the real world anymore, even at a young age. They don't care, they just figure "Oh, they'll have to face it someday. Might as well get it over-with now." They let their kids have their hearts' desires (Facebook/Myspace for example), and that's why most kids you see these days are spoiled rotten brats. And when they get out of control, the parents are too scared to do anything about it, 'cause they don't want their kids to hate them. But it's situations like that, that you have to go through if you want to raise your kids right. There's gotta be some "tough love" there, and that's almost nonexistant today. I hated going through all those fights with my mom, but it only brought us closer together in the end, and it's made me a better person because of it.

I wasn't allowed any sort of social networking profile until I was the appropriate age, and I thank my mom now for restricting me on that, because there are some pretty graphic things out there that would have ruined me if I had joined when I wanted to. Then again I joined here when I had just turned 11, so I'd be one to talk. My parents found out about it not too long after, but just told me to be careful about what I give out and whatnot. :s

burningzepp08
06-03-2010, 02:57 AM
That is true, but that's not exactly what I was aiming at. I was aiming at the fact that if little kids get exposed to mature themes (like sex or some major swear words) then it could damage then mentally, and affect the life that is yet to come. For instance, say a kid is at a friends house, then says "c***" because he saw the word on Facebook. Chances are, the kid would not get to come back to his friend's house. Likewise, if a little kid gets exposed to sex and sexual things on Facebook at a young age, then he or she may grow up craving that, and now being interested in anything else (It's rare, but it happens.)

However, I do see your point as well. The fact that it is mainly 18 year olds participating in the actually "internet cafe" things. And while I agree that it's about common sense, it does have something to do about age. The older you are, the more experience you have in knowing what is wrong and what is right on the internet, and how to limit and protect yourself when it comes to the internet. Thus, the older you are the more common sense you have. For instance, you and me would have the common sense to stay away from a link that says "CLICK HERE FOR D*** SHOTS!" However, a young 8-year-old might not because he just doesn't know better, and thus does not have the knowledge to not click on the link.

Ah ok, yeah i understand what you mean. When it comes to cuss words or sexual themes, I really don't think one would need to go on facebook for that, of course, adding that Facebook is more of a "friends only" site, rather than, anyone can be anyones friend(which can also happen, but that's how i see it) Now in days a 6-10 year old boy/girl can learn about things like cussing and sexual oriented things from anywhere, that being, in music, movies, shows, even going out with friends, it's around us.

And i do agree with what you've been saying, I'm just adding.

I remember back when i was a kid, at age 3-4 i knew about kissing and french kissing because of movies and people in my household would watch soaps(spanish ones) I knew about cussing way before that(in spanish) because sometimes they would slip out from my dad, none of those real horrible words or anything, just the simple cusswords(in spanish). By 5 i knew *itch and *uck(hand gesture), but i NEVER said them. Why? I knew they we're bad, and if my parents we're to hear me, i would get a beating.

And back then, there was no internet, and kids my age we're learning about these things around the same time as me, if not, younger. And kids we're still getting raped and young teens we're still doing retarded things. I don't want to sound self righteous, but I think that i just always had common sense, to not do this, to not do that, even though I've done my share of bad things over the years. Also, by 4th grade i was already cussing with my friends, never around family, i knew what would happen.lol Also, i'd like to point out that all that was in the 90's.

What I'm trying to say is that, when someone uses an excuse like "oh, i don't want to learn about sex or learn cusswords" so they won't use a website like Facebook, i'd say "hey bro, yous be too late" because of what all the bad surrounds us now in days, it's worse now, i agree, but a lot of it has to do with what a person thinks and their actions, especially when it comes to an online place.

Everyone knows that you're not supposed to meet someone at a place that you met online, especially if you know so little about them. Everyone knows that you're not supposed to give out information. I'm sure a boy or girl of younger age can understand WHY and WHY you shouldn't do such things. BUT it still happens.

So let's say, if i had a 12 year old boy or girl. I think i would be pretty sexist about it, i would let my boy use Facebook, but not my daughter. BUT, if i did, I would sit with him/her and have a good talk about the dangers that can come by using a site as such. I'm sure my child would have the common sense to not speak to someone he/she does not know.

And yeah, i do agree with the "as you age, your common sense grows" Although that is true, still, common sense counts more than age, because as i mentioned earlier, people our age get raped and kidnapped for said reasons.(facebook, myspace, ect.)

I say, going on facebook or myspace is as dangerous/safe as going outside to the city and walking or something. Sure, both are different things, but many of both things can happen even when they are so totally different.

Adding to the kid matter, really, kids these days need to get their butts whipped. I would say more, but we all know no parent is doing it. I come from a mixed ethnic background, mainly mexican(that would make me hispanic), and oh man, there's been so much butt whooping in my family. As i kid i hated it, because well, it hurt lol but shiiii- I'm glad i did get whooped as a kid. Parents these days just don't care or want to be their "friend". I bet that If i we're to do something really bad, i would still get my a** kicked by my dad or mom, AND I DON'T EVEN LIVE WITH THEM. lol

Also, i liked how you worded some things on there, made me lol. :)

Ken
06-03-2010, 03:18 AM
Ah ok, yeah i understand what you mean. When it comes to cuss words or sexual themes, I really don't think one would need to go on facebook for that, of course, adding that Facebook is more of a "friends only" site, rather than, anyone can be anyones friend(which can also happen, but that's how i see it) Now in days a 6-10 year old boy/girl can learn about things like cussing and sexual oriented things from anywhere, that being, in music, movies, shows, even going out with friends, it's around us.

I remember back when i was a kid, at age 3-4 i knew about kissing and french kissing because of movies and people in my household would watch soaps(spanish ones) I knew about cussing way before that(in spanish) because sometimes they would slip out from my dad, none of those real horrible words or anything, just the simple cusswords(in spanish). By 5 i knew *itch and *uck(hand gesture), but i NEVER said them. Why? I knew they we're bad, and if my parents we're to hear me, i would get a beating.

And back then, there was no internet, and kids my age we're learning about these things around the same time as me, if not, younger. And kids we're still getting raped and young teens we're still doing retarded things. I don't want to sound self righteous, but I think that i just always had common sense, to not do this, to not do that, even though I've done my share of bad things over the years. Also, by 4th grade i was already cussing with my friends, never around family, i knew what would happen.lol Also, i'd like to point out that all that was in the 90's.

What I'm trying to say is that, when someone uses an excuse like "oh, i don't want to learn about sex or learn cusswords" so they won't use a website like Facebook, i'd say "hey bro, yous be too late" because of what all the bad surrounds us now in days, it's worse now, i agree, but a lot of it has to do with what a person thinks and their actions, especially when it comes to an online place.

Everyone knows that you're not supposed to meet someone at a place that you met online, especially if you know so little about them. Everyone knows that you're not supposed to give out information. I'm sure a boy or girl of younger age can understand WHY and WHY you shouldn't do such things. BUT it still happens.

So let's say, if i had a 12 year old boy or girl. I think i would be pretty sexist about it, i would let my boy use Facebook, but not my daughter. BUT, if i did, I would sit with him/her and have a good talk about the dangers that can come by using a site as such. I'm sure my child would have the common sense to not speak to someone he/she does not know.

And yeah, i do agree with the "as you age, your common sense grows" Although that is true, still, common sense counts more than age, because as i mentioned earlier, people our age get raped and kidnapped for said reasons.(facebook, myspace, ect.)

I say, going on facebook or myspace is as dangerous/safe as going outside to the city and walking or something. Sure, both are different things, but many of both things can happen even when they are so totally different.

Adding to the kid matter, really, kids these days need to get their butts whipped. I would say more, but we all know no parent is doing it. I come from a mixed ethnic background, mainly mexican(that would make me hispanic), and oh man, there's been so much butt whooping in my family. As i kid i hated it, because well, it hurt lol but shiiii- I'm glad i did get whooped as a kid. Parents these days just don't care or want to be their "friend". I bet that If i we're to do something really bad, i would still get my a** kicked by my dad or mom, AND I DON'T EVEN LIVE WITH THEM. lol

Also, i liked how you worded some things on there, made me lol. :)

I see what you are going at here! And frankly, I do agree with some of the things you say. It is true that Movies, Books, Music, etc can influence cussing and sexual things in kids. However, in my opinion the internet is the worst of them all.

And now, as my reason, let me introduce you to GIFT. A.k.a The Greater Internet Fuckwad Theory.

Basically, GIFT goes like this: Normal Guy (Could be friend) + Anonymous + Audiece = Total Fuckwad.

Now, Facebook is, of course, a site where you must input your real information. However, a teenager may put in that he is 8 years old to get some "friends" on facebook that are 8-year-old kids, thus realizing that with his new alternate ego he can o lots of things on Facebook which are bad and not get blamed.

And so, he participates in GIFT.

Basically, what I'm saying is that people on Facebook may pose as little kid's friends, yet in reality they are the horny old man next door.

Also, whipping kids? Really? xD I must say, I disagree with you on that one. xD I understand that kids can get into major trouble, but frankly: For me, the silent treatment is worse. Plus, it doesn't make your parent's commit child abuse. xD

(I wonder if we should make a new topic to talk about this. xD)

Lusankya
06-03-2010, 03:23 AM

The thing is, these kids think "This is different". They know, intellectually, that they shouldn't trust people on the internet. But after contact with a person on the internet, they trust said person and think "Oh, this is different, this guy isn't a pedo." They know they shouldn't, but they do it anyways because they trust their own judgement.

Lonsie
06-03-2010, 03:37 AM
After reading this thread I felt like going on Facebook.

burningzepp08
06-03-2010, 07:19 AM
I see what you are going at here! And frankly, I do agree with some of the things you say. It is true that Movies, Books, Music, etc can influence cussing and sexual things in kids. However, in my opinion the internet is the worst of them all.

And now, as my reason, let me introduce you to GIFT. A.k.a The Greater Internet Fuckwad Theory.

Basically, GIFT goes like this: Normal Guy (Could be friend) + Anonymous + Audiece = Total Fuckwad.

Now, Facebook is, of course, a site where you must input your real information. However, a teenager may put in that he is 8 years old to get some "friends" on facebook that are 8-year-old kids, thus realizing that with his new alternate ego he can o lots of things on Facebook which are bad and not get blamed.

And so, he participates in GIFT.

Basically, what I'm saying is that people on Facebook may pose as little kid's friends, yet in reality they are the horny old man next door.

Also, whipping kids? Really? xD I must say, I disagree with you on that one. xD I understand that kids can get into major trouble, but frankly: For me, the silent treatment is worse. Plus, it doesn't make your parent's commit child abuse. xD

(I wonder if we should make a new topic to talk about this. xD)
Oh ho hoo, of course Internet is the worst of them all LOL, that's a proven fact, -cough cough-4chan...

HA! "Gift", never heard of that, have i met them? yes, but never heard of the term.

Wow wow, not whipped like, with a whip. I mean getting punished, a beating. That doesn't mean a parent can go all AHNOLD on their kid. This might sound dumb, but i grew up with it, "When you hit your kid, it's because you love them". Because they have to learn right from wrong. Now, that doesn't mean hey, come here imma hit you cause i LOVES U(you should know what I'm trying to say). I don't mean to throw any races into this, but we all know white people are the majority who never lay their hand on their offsprings because they want to be their "friend".

The thing is, these kids think "This is different". They know, intellectually, that they shouldn't trust people on the internet. But after contact with a person on the internet, they trust said person and think "Oh, this is different, this guy isn't a pedo." They know they shouldn't, but they do it anyways because they trust their own judgement.
:agreeing smiley:

After reading this thread I felt like going on Facebook.

way ahead of you broskie.

Grsspkmnmaster
06-03-2010, 11:00 AM
One thing I see popping up a lot is the 13+ rule. I know when I first joined, it was 13+ to start your own account as an individaul, but you needed a parent's consent to start one if you were younger. Unfortunately, the little box that is clicked on to show you fall into one of those categories doesnt stop people from thinking about what they're doing.

Overall, any age group can do dumb things on facebook, but I do have to say that it *is* designed for high schoolers and above in mind.

Starkipraggy
06-04-2010, 07:28 PM
You don't have to hit kids to discipline them people ;) It's the most effective method, but a parent with enough chutzpah can scare the living daylights out of their kid enough not to disobey them without laying a finger on them.

Facebook is designed for older people in mind, but those people do stupid things already, much less the children. I'm not familar with the system because I don't have Facebook (I REBEL) but it seems that so long as you add your friends prudently you should be fine. Consequently you should emphasize this with any young children you know: Make sure that when you add a friend on Facebook you know that person in real life. Sounds simple, but simple things go a long way, especially for children, most of whom won't be able to properly obey something like "Don't add anyone you don't trust" which is vague enough to allow them to add some other random kid their age who could be some pedobear.

Linoone
06-09-2010, 05:44 AM
I got a Facebook about a year ago when I was 12. I only made one because my 14 year old sister (at the time) made me one. My parents also have one same with a few other family. I then added friends because I thought, "Why not?" so I did. Many young people on Facebook get annoying after times I guess, because they bug people. I am fine with people from the age of like 10 and up but if they are like 7 or something, it seems kind of stupid. Plus a whole bunch of little kids act like they are older and stuff. Practically all of the time I see 9 year olds with I-Phones and stuff. :P

Speed-X
06-13-2010, 05:44 PM
Personally, I just despite Facebook and Myspace, and whatever. Mainly because most of those people are just way out of my "league", when it comes to spelling. God, I hate chatspeak more than anything. It just makes you look ridiculously unintelligent.

I read over arcemegus's comment, and came to this conclusion: From what I've seen, no, I do not think it is possible to have a mature and/or intelligent conversation on that site. I mean...honestly.
Besides, I think of the internet as an escape from real life. Will sites like those, who have a gajillion people from my school and whatnot supply that escape? No. It will NOT.
Especially considering how much drama goes on there. Ugh. Do I not have enough drama in life, already?

Sorry. I know this is a tidbit off-subject, but just thought I'd share.

Anyways, I honestly believe that anything under 13 is...just no. Sorry, but that's my opinion.
Needless to say...what's that really gonna help? A lot of people from school that are 14-16 on there tend to act AND speak like 5-year-olds, anyways.

Just...gah. Oh my god, society in general these days NEVER ceases to completely stupefy me. I'm glad I generally don't like to go with the crowd.

I'll say it just as how a stamp on DeviantART said: I don't have a Facebook, but I'm still here.
...of course, that's just because I just couldn't care less. Much more happy and content by posting in message boards and forums that generally have a bit more of a mature-acting group of people. Whether the majority of those people have a life or not? Who cares! They're great people to talk to. Besides, people that are around my age group who roam around on Facebook all the time don't neccessarily tend to have much of a life, anyways.

I say it's better to spend whatever you have left of a "life" on not only things you enjoy, but things that won't cause much conflict.

And yes...I AM extremely biased, because there can be loads of drama about anywhere. However, in my point of view, places like Facebook happen to be "drama-central."

Sixto
06-13-2010, 06:02 PM
Personally, I just despite Facebook and Myspace, and whatever. Mainly because most of those people are just way out of my "league", when it comes to spelling. God, I hate chatspeak more than anything. It just makes you look ridiculously unintelligent.

Isn't the bold ironic? Of course it might have been a typo, but it's still funny. XD