PDA

View Full Version : Chaining versus Masuda Method?

Fletchfish
04-06-2010, 08:12 PM
I'm sure you all know how chaining works, and if you don't know the Masuda method here's a link that explains it pretty well:

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Masuda_method

Which do you think works best, just in general?

Etymology
04-06-2010, 08:40 PM
There are several advantages to both.

Chaining Advantages:

Can be easier
Gives you multiple shinies in one go
Odds of finding a shiny are reduced the further you get in a chain, up to 40
YOU CAN CHAIN DITTO :B
The abilitiy to catch in whatever Pokeball you want

Chaining Disadvantages:

Requires a lot of money for repel
Time consuming, and you need to concentrate.
Not available in GSC, RSEFRLG or HGSS

Masuda Advantages:

Chances are drastically increased
Access to Shinies that aren't able to be chained
Not much thought gone into it, mindless.

Masuda Disadvantages:

Time consuming - Releasing all those Pokemon? D:
No access to foreign Pokemon for those without wifi or friends that play Pokemon
Getting a foreign Pokemon is hard enough - The GTS is a harsh place
Not present in GSC, RSEFRLG.

I prefer the Masuda method, but that's just me.

Judgmental Arceus
04-07-2010, 04:18 AM
There are several advantages to both.

Chaining Advantages:

Can be easier
Gives you multiple shinies in one go
Odds of finding a shiny are reduced the further you get in a chain, up to 40
YOU CAN CHAIN DITTO :B
The abilitiy to catch in whatever Pokeball you want

Chaining Disadvantages:

Requires a lot of money for repel
Time consuming, and you need to concentrate.
Not available in GSC, RSEFRLG or HGSS

Masuda Advantages:

Chances are drastically increased
Access to Shinies that aren't able to be chained
Not much thought gone into it, mindless.

Masuda Disadvantages:

Time consuming - Releasing all those Pokemon? D:
No access to foreign Pokemon for those without wifi or friends that play Pokemon
Getting a foreign Pokemon is hard enough - The GTS is a harsh place
Not present in GSC, RSEFRLG.

I prefer the Masuda method, but that's just me.

Based off of these odds, I'd take the chaining method over masuda method. Although, for those who are desperate, you can simply hack a shiny.

Mr420
04-08-2010, 06:31 PM
I read somewhere on the interweb that everytime some one hacks a shiny they are left with a black Void in their heart.
I myself have not yet breed a shiny, even though On two different games Im breeding using Masuda method.
and I've chained a whole grip load and still not had a shiny wild encounter. I have been traded a hack & I felt ikky inside & I only allowed a hack to be traded to me so that I can trade for that pokemon using the GTS.

Masami
04-08-2010, 06:58 PM
Chaining is better in my opinion, but to be fair, both are equally suckish.
The only shinies worth having are legends in my opinion, aslong as they ain't hacked.

Kamoosekazi
04-26-2010, 11:12 PM
Based off reading the Masuda Method on bulbapedia, isn't chaining better? Cause sure you get a higher rate of shinies, but then you have to hatch the egg right? Some eggs takes 10,000 steps >.> (see Dratini's (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Dratini_%28Pok%C3%A9mon%29) egg, and even Eevee)

Also, this probably doesn't work for legendaries, correct?

Phantom Kat
04-26-2010, 11:41 PM
I prefer chaining. I always have at least 500 Max Repels in my bag, and my Porygon-Z can always sweep the Elite Four a couple of times for cash. Yeah, it takes practice, but once you get the hang of it, it's addicting. I've gotten Absol, three Budews, two Magnemite, Ponyta, Surskit (though technically a random encounter), Slowpoke (again, technically a random encounter), Dunsparce, Misdreavus, Smeargle, Pachirisu, and probably some others. It's a lot more fun than jsut hatching egg after egg. Plus, you can EV train as you chain, which is always a plus!

- Kat

Kamoosekazi
06-08-2010, 08:31 AM
after attempting some chaining, it would seem to me that the Masuda method is slightly more reliable and helps slightly more as you can breed in moves instead of getting a standard find. Also, everything you hatch is gonna be the same pokemon, no more waiting for that rare shiny ditto...

Mr420
06-08-2010, 02:29 PM
I prefer chaining. I always have at least 500 Max Repels in my bag, and my Porygon-Z can always sweep the Elite Four a couple of times for cash. Yeah, it takes practice, but once you get the hang of it, it's addicting. I've gotten Absol, three Budews, two Magnemite, Ponyta, Surskit (though technically a random encounter), Slowpoke (again, technically a random encounter), Dunsparce, Misdreavus, Smeargle, Pachirisu, and probably some others. It's a lot more fun than jsut hatching egg after egg. Plus, you can EV train as you chain, which is always a plus!

- Kat

there you go talking your heart out and somehow it's like the pie-d piper I come running along :silenced:

oh the Avvy is super Xixk. 10+ x2