PDA

View Full Version : EV Traing is.....

War
04-24-2010, 12:46 AM
....So damn hard for me! I've watched videos on how its supposed to be done, but I still have no clue on how to do it.......Can anyone help me out with some examples or maybe some tips on what im supposed to do...........for instance: I have a Tyranitar that I THOUGHT i EV trained...his Nature is Quiet LV. 55 with an attack power of 166......WEAK right? .....just dont get it.

Sequentio
04-24-2010, 01:07 AM
....So damn hard for me! I've watched videos on how its supposed to be done, but I still have no clue on how to do it.......Can anyone help me out with some examples or maybe some tips on what im supposed to do...........for instance: I have a Tyranitar that I THOUGHT i EV trained...his Nature is Quiet LV. 55 with an attack power of 166......WEAK right? .....just dont get it.
Well for one, Quiet decreases Speed and increases SPECIAL Attack, not Attack.

Also, you may want to read the following;
http://www.psypokes.com/lab/evguide.php

I'd suggest getting a new T-Tar, probably one that is Adamant or Jolly and then starting with 0 EVs by using EV reducing berries so you can start a new. :/

Kers
04-24-2010, 01:09 AM
This is basically what you do:

Get Pokerus and a Macho Brace.
Give the pokemon you want to EV train Pokerus an the Macho Brace, if you're on DPPT, use the Pokeradar to chain the Pokemon you have to kill, because getting a shiny is always good ;D, use the counter app to count how many you've beaten until you've beaten enough to get 255 EVs in that one stat or the nearest to 255 possible.

War
04-24-2010, 01:10 AM
Well for one, Quiet decreases Speed and increases SPECIAL Attack, not Attack.

Also, you may want to read the following;
http://www.psypokes.com/lab/evguide.php

I'd suggest getting a new T-Tar, probably one that is Adamant or Jolly and then starting with 0 EVs by using EV reducing berries so you can start a new. :/

Cool i think im going to do that...its frustrating lol.......how about this...i THINK im ev training a Dratini...Adament Lv. 12 with an attack of 33 i think.....is that good so far?

War
04-24-2010, 01:16 AM
This is basically what you do:

Get Pokerus and a Macho Brace.
Give the pokemon you want to EV train Pokerus an the Macho Brace, if you're on DPPT, use the Pokeradar to chain the Pokemon you have to kill, because getting a shiny is always good ;D, use the counter app to count how many you've beaten until you've beaten enough to get 255 EVs in that one stat or the nearest to 255 possible.

awsome. but here's my situation....i dont have pokerus or Macho Brace.......here's what i do:

IF I HAVE A LV. 15 GROWLITHE I'LL START BY FIGHTING SAY, 3 GOLDEEN FOR ATTACK, AND THEN I'LL GO FIGHT LIKE 4 GRIMER FOR HP, THEN ILL GO FIGHT LIE 2 PSYDUCK FOR (I THINK) SPECIAL ATTACK...THEN I LEVEL UP.......IS THAT COMPLETELY WRONG????

Masami
04-24-2010, 01:18 AM
Hey war, nice to see you again buddy.

Try not to post twice in a row, just edit your first post.

Also, do you have WIFI?

War
04-24-2010, 01:20 AM
Naw dont have wifi.......good to see u to bro.

Kers
04-24-2010, 01:21 AM
awsome. but here's my situation....i dont have pokerus or Macho Brace.......here's what i do:

IF I HAVE A LV. 15 GROWLITHE I'LL START BY FIGHTING SAY, 3 GOLDEEN FOR ATTACK, AND THEN I'LL GO FIGHT LIKE 4 GRIMER FOR HP, THEN ILL GO FIGHT LIE 2 PSYDUCK FOR (I THINK) SPECIAL ATTACK...THEN I LEVEL UP.......IS THAT COMPLETELY WRONG????

You should be beating them and if you didn't level up during that then rare candy. It doesn't matter when you level as long as you get all your EVs.

Masami
04-24-2010, 01:22 AM
You can get wifi really easily, also if you have it, someone ncie might give you something called 'pokerus'

It's a special status that DOUBLES all EVs your pokemon obtain, which makes it alot easier.

Also for teh record:

If you want a pokemon to have really high attack; Adamant is a good nature
For really high special attack; Modest is a good nature, however there are many other natures which increase these stats.

You get the hang of EV training, if you're looking for some good spots:

http://www.psypokes.com/lab/evtraining.php?id=soulsilver

War
04-24-2010, 01:33 AM
Thanks to both of you for the response.........I have a friend that has pokerus..so ill start by maybe trading w/ him......so basically i just need to fight all the right pokemon?...are lower level pkmn better? Can i obtain more ev that way?

SkittishHeart
04-24-2010, 02:25 AM
Levels don't affect the amount of EVs obtained. :)

What are you training for again? Attack? If so, up to what amount? 252?
If it's 252, here's a rather easy way to EV train:

After giving 10 Proteins to your desired Pokemon to EV train for Attack, make it fight a Bibarel. After that one fight, give it a Power Bracer (or whatever Power item is for increasing the Attack EV gained. You can buy/exchange one at the Battle Tower for 16 Battle Points). Once you have given it the Power Bracer(?), make your Pokemon fight 25 more Bibarel.

Here's a calculation (Lol, you don't have to mind this; I'm just bored and have nothing to do):

1 Protein = 10 Attack EVS
10 Proteins = (10*10) 100 Attack EVs
Bibarel = 2 Attack EVs

**Total EVs so far = 102

[After giving the Power Bracer(?) to your Pokemon...
Bibarel + the held Power Bracer = (2 + 4) 6 Attack EVs]

So...
25 Bibarel (+ Power Bracer) = (25 * 6) 150 Attack EVs

**Total EVs = (102 + 150) 252.

And... you're done. :))

Pokemon Trainer Sarah
04-24-2010, 02:32 AM
The level of the Pokemon you fight doesn't matter. =) And neither does the level of your Pokemon. When you EV train you don't get all the extra stats at once, you get some with each level up and then by level 100 you'll have them all.

To make EV training really fast you'd want the Power items which can be bought from the Battle Frontier. If you can't get them though, I'd highly suggest grabbing the Macho Brace. It doubles the EVs you'll receive so you only have to fight half as many Pokemon! You can get it by trading the guy in Goldenrod a Drowzee for a Machop. The Machop will be holding it.

If you need any more help with understanding EV training, I wrote a really simple guide here: http://www.tpc.paulhq.com/index.php?id=dp_evtrain
It's for DP but it's all the same aside from the recommended EV training spots. =)

War
04-24-2010, 03:00 AM
Levels don't affect the amount of EVs obtained. :)

What are you training for again? Attack? If so, up to what amount? 252?
If it's 252, here's a rather easy way to EV train:

After giving 10 Proteins to your desired Pokemon to EV train for Attack, make it fight a Bibarel. After that one fight, give it a Power Bracer (or whatever Power item is for increasing the Attack EV gained. You can buy/exchange one at the Battle Tower for 16 Battle Points). Once you have given it the Power Bracer(?), make your Pokemon fight 25 more Bibarel.

Here's a calculation (Lol, you don't have to mind this; I'm just bored and have nothing to do):

1 Protein = 10 Attack EVS
10 Proteins = (10*10) 100 Attack EVs
Bibarel = 2 Attack EVs

**Total EVs so far = 102

[After giving the Power Bracer(?) to your Pokemon...
Bibarel + the held Power Bracer = (2 + 4) 6 Attack EVs]

So...
25 Bibarel (+ Power Bracer) = (25 * 6) 150 Attack EVs

**Total EVs = (102 + 150) 252.

And... you're done. :))

Cool..thanks Sara......I think im catching on here lol....so i have a dratini i began training...i gave it vitamins in all areas and maxed it out.......then i began training....i noticed that sometimes the stats, for example the HP stats, would not increase. did i do something wrong?..........The attack mentioned was just an example...but it helped a lot....so would i just give it vitamins in what i wish to train in?

Pokemon Trainer Sarah
04-24-2010, 03:13 AM
Yep, just give it vitamins in the stats you want to train it in.

If you give it vitamins in every stat, then you won't have enough EVs left to max out the stats you actually want to train, since you only get a total of 510.

If you're EV training and the stats don't seem to increase much, it doesn't mean you're doing something wrong. As I said, you won't see the full effects of all your EV training until the Pokemon reaches level 100 anyway. =)

War
04-24-2010, 03:18 AM
Yep, just give it vitamins in the stats you want to train it in.

If you give it vitamins in every stat, then you won't have enough EVs left to max out the stats you actually want to train, since you only get a total of 510.

If you're EV training and the stats don't seem to increase much, it doesn't mean you're doing something wrong. As I said, you won't see the full effects of all your EV training until the Pokemon reaches level 100 anyway. =)

Got it!...Examples: so my Tyranitar: give it vitamins for attack and train......my Arcanine, give it vitamins n speed, then train......and my dratini, give it vitamins in special defense, then train........and the other stats will just be left alone...correct?...........Or i can slpit them right? if thats the case then i think i pretty much got it......I REALLY APPRECIATE ALL THE HELP!

Masami
04-24-2010, 03:21 AM
Got it!...Examples: so my Tyranitar: give it vitamins for attack and train......my Arcanine, give it vitamins n speed, then train......and my dratini, give it vitamins in special defense, then train........and the other stats will just be left alone...correct?...........Or i can slpit them right? if thats the case then i think i pretty much got it......I REALLY APPRECIATE ALL THE HELP!

Usually people max out two EVs.

So for Tyranitar you might want to max out attack and..HP?
So you'd give it 10 vitamins in attack and 10 in HP. You can use 10 of each vitamin on a pokemon, but you wouldnt want to use 50 vitamins in total. Just use them to get 100 EVs in a stat your pokemon need. :)

War
04-24-2010, 03:36 AM
Usually people max out two EVs.

So for Tyranitar you might want to max out attack and..HP?
So you'd give it 10 vitamins in attack and 10 in HP. You can use 10 of each vitamin on a pokemon, but you wouldnt want to use 50 vitamins in total. Just use them to get 100 EVs in a stat your pokemon need. :)

Awsome, Masami.....That was the icing on the cake!.......Man, i was ready to put PKMN down........one last thing......the other stats that i dont want to train in will just be left alone right? they should be fine?

SkittishHeart
04-24-2010, 03:46 AM
Awsome, Masami.....That was the icing on the cake!.......Man, i was ready to put PKMN down........one last thing......the other stats that i dont want to train in will just be left alone right? they should be fine?

Yeap. Just make sure to not fight Pokemon that give off EVs in those stats that you don't want to have EVs on... well, not at least after you have fully EV trained your Pokemon. :)

Masami
04-24-2010, 03:47 AM
Ye the other stats should be the same.

Things like Arcanine usually have 252 EVs in Special attack and 252 in Speed, then 4 in Hp for that one extra point. :P

Etymology
04-24-2010, 08:52 AM
You don't always max out two EVs, however.

http://smogon.com/dp/pokemon

Is a good place to start. It has a database of every moveset known to competitive battling. Feel free to come up with your own sets, though. :o

War
04-24-2010, 12:46 PM
Great! As I said before, thanks to all who have responded with such helpful information!
I'm trying to learn so I can contribute to this site more than I can right now.

I just have one final question: Would it be, lets say, advised to hatch a PKMN being that they are at level 1 and begin right away from there? Or would that just make it more difficult in obtaing the desired Nature for that PKMN?

Kers
04-24-2010, 02:39 PM
Great! As I said before, thanks to all who have responded with such helpful information!
I'm trying to learn so I can contribute to this site more than I can right now.

I just have one final question: Would it be, lets say, advised to hatch a PKMN being that they are at level 1 and begin right away from there? Or would that just make it more difficult in obtaing the desired Nature for that PKMN?

Actually it would make it easier to get the disired nature. Once you get the pokemon you want, give it an EXP Share and get all the EVs you want for that level 1 with a stronger pokemon.

Etymology
04-24-2010, 02:49 PM
Actually it would make it easier to get the disired nature. Once you get the pokemon you want, give it an EXP Share and get all the EVs you want for that level 1 with a stronger pokemon.

It makes no difference. It'll always be a 1/25 chance of getting the desired nature unless you give the female breeder an Everstone (provided they have the nature you want). This puts the chance of getting the desired nature at 1/4. Also, using an EXP Share isn't really good, because then you can't use the Power Items. Make sure it has Pokerus and the Power Item of choice, then put the Pokemon you wish to EV train at the front of the party. Then, when you go into battle, you switch out for a bigger amount of EVs.

War
04-24-2010, 02:49 PM

Cool...so just switch out my lv. 1 untill it is strong enough to fight.........AWSOME!

Aren't the Natures random when you breed?...

OK...thanks BlueJello............how would i know when im done ev training

These are my final questions lol.....thanks!

Cool thanks...i just sent you a PM.

Etymology
04-24-2010, 02:56 PM
Cool...so just switch out my lv. 1 untill it is strong enough to fight.........AWSOME!

Aren't the Natures random when you breed?...

OK...thanks BlueJello............how would i know when im done ev training

These are my final questions lol.....thanks!

Depends which version you are playing. In HGSS, there's a woman in Blackthorn city (the house where the girl wishes to trade you a Dragonair). If your EVs are maxed out, she gives you a ribbon.

Feel free to shoot me a PM or VM if you have any further worries.