PDA

View Full Version : Hot Button Topic: Plus Size Please

Genesis 1.0
08-06-2005, 05:33 AM
Alright, the title speaks for itself people. America is swelling in size, the average American woman today is said to be 5'4" & 154lbs, which is a very disturbing figure to most who worry over the illness associated with being overweight.

However, there has been a movement that's been sweeping the nation for almost 6 years now that ENCOURAGES being overweight, or Plus Sized. This motivation comes from many plus size celebreties who found it hard to get work in Hollywood at their current weight, the issue then spread to discrimination due to weight, rolling into America's image of a perfect woman, and now to your average department stores making plus size women feel like outcasts. For example, The GAP sells many plus size items over the internet but nationwide, less than 3% sell these items in the stores themselves. This has the growing number of plus sized Americans, mainly women up in arms.

Most prominent are Kristy Alley and Monique, who are now promoting being a 'big woman' and casting a scornful light on smaller women. Monique has been touring cross country at universites and social galleries promoting women to step up from a size 7 to a size 14 and up. Plus size women are now accusing smaller women of starving themselves, claiming that "If they were eating right they'd be as big as we are" as was stated by Monique at a fashion show in New York.

This new wave of pro-obese America has doctors in a state of shock, many are baffled as to why anyone would want to purposefully subject themselves to high blood pressure, diabetes, heart failure, and many other diseases that come with added weight.

Question: Should America be trimming down for the future Generation or asking their next cashier to Super Size it?

!CeMAn
08-06-2005, 05:52 AM
Holy geez.

Personally, i like a woman with a bit of an ass and nice shapely hips... But to purposely balloon up for fasion is obscene. Actors will gain large amounts of weight for a role, then lose it all again at a disturbing pace. It's scary. The human body isn't equiped to deal with stress like that. Instead of encouraging women to gain weight, the message should instead be : "it's okay if you gain weight."

I'll concede that far too many women today are way too skinny, but i don't feel that being "plus sized" is much better of an alternative. Heart problems, blood pressure, these are real things and they can harm a person's well being.

True, nobody should be ashamed of being overweight because we're all beautiful and what not, but to do something like that to yourself on purpose is unhealthy.

DaRkUmBrEoN
08-06-2005, 08:36 AM
OMFG.....

Okay, I see their point....
They are just too afraid to be an outsider, thus wanting others too join them...I bet they were popular in highschool....

But why the hell do you want to be really big.
A- not healty
B- cost a lot
C- it isn't that much of a plus-point in nowadays society

Okay, I'm on the edge of underweight. And no, I'm not starving myself to death. I eat almost 4 warm meals a day, and a lot of snacks. The only reason I'm 187 cm (6 feet tall) and weigh aproximatly 52 kg (120 lbs) is my fast digestion, my allergies and my genetic disorder, which makes me burn nutrition 2x as fast...

I really like to gain an extra bit of weight, but I'm not obsessed with it. I'm a growing, still healthy young man, and I got dozens of years ahead to gain that weight.

As for clothing, I know what hell me or my mom go through when searching pants... My waste isn't compitable with my height. But plus-sided clothing are getting out the shelves, because fashion states that people don't want to be seen as fat. I know dozens of people with clothes, which are to tight.
As long as they think that's attractive, who am I to disagree.

Eating right = big?.... Which diet?
Seriously, if someone, without a disorder of any kind, eats right, they should get enough fat, proteins etc to live, most of that would be converted in energy. So I don't see how it would make you big.

Incongruity
08-06-2005, 05:52 PM
Is this so hard?

Fat people are ugly.

DaRkUmBrEoN
08-06-2005, 07:04 PM
People the size of blue whales are ugly....
People as light, that a slight gust of wind would knock them down, are pathetic....

Everything in between is okay...

Shroomish
08-07-2005, 12:49 AM
Ö Shut up, SK. XD

Ok, where to startÖ Let me just start by saying Iím a pretty big person. 6ft tall and weighing in at a whopping 285 poundsÖ Yeah. I, however, am not unhealthy because of it. I have a perfect heart and lungs, Iím not a diabetic, and my blood pressureís average. I do however get a lot of hatred shot my way just because of how I look.

I think stores should carry more plus sizes, yes, because itís hard as hell for me to find anything anywhere. Even if I werenít ďfatĒ Iíd still be huge; itís just in my genes. I wear a size 12 shoe for crying out loud. XD

I can wear a 2X shirt, but I prefer a 3X, and you CANNOT find them anywhere. >_< Itís so annoying. Even though I think stores should sell a decent amount of plus size clothes, I donít think we should encourage people to be overweight. Thatís just Ö weird.

Iíve tried to lose weight, and Iím still trying. I was one of these people who was blessed with low metabolism. -_- But yeah, I donít know why anyone would purposely put themselves in this position.

Meh, Iíve mostly just rambled, but in conclusion: I do notice a discrimination that shouldnít be thereÖ And I think encouraging people to become fat, just because weíre fat and are too lazy to lose weight ourselves, is just stupid. -_-

Genesis 1.0
08-07-2005, 01:36 AM
Shroomish, first allow me to thank you for coming forward and shedding some light on this situation from the other side of the coin. I can't very well say I identify with the issue seeing that I'm 6'4", size 16 1/2 shoes and 225lb, a well athletic body with a metabolism that has me eating MYSELF out of house and home, lol.

Alot of what you said came up during these seminars she held, there is a very high level of discrimination toward larger people because that's not the image Hollywood or the media wants to potray. So in turn they suppress these type of people, type casting large actors into a small category of films and shows, pushing away women from modeling when they reach the 120 mark which in turn resulted in Plus Size Models, who in fact are only average sized in America and not representing the truly overweight.

I think that the Supermodel complex has been too firmly planted in the minds of every generation that it's difficult for many to consider a larger woman more lovely than a skinny one. Just take a look at People & Cosmo's list of Beautiful People, there are never more than 3 in a countdown that ranges from 20 - 100. After literally centuries of promoting slim as beauty it's no surprise that so many overweight people catch hell just for being themseves, and THAT is what I find to be so sad. Racial and Religous discrimination have caused enough problems but now they're dragging up yet ANOTHER way to divide the public, raising some and casting out the rest.

As far as the stores carrying Plus Sizes, do you know that department stores alone made more than 12 billion selling Plus Size merchandise? That's a very nice number but still store officals claim that selling this size clothing regularly would drive away their more slim customers, thinking they were shopping at "a fat person's store".

As far as this promotion to be large, it's the same as the new craze of websites that promote bodies that look as if they've been starved, 20/20 says the new craze is called 'showing off your bones'. I mean, these girl's skeletal structure can be clearly seen even through clothing and they've got legions of fans. This promotion to be large is just the other end of the spectrum, and honestly, I can't see how either one benefits anyone but there are millions willing to do both. The difference is that these skeletal models say they got the idea from Hollywood's high standard of what the perfect woman should look like, which sparks even more controversy over weight.

Kenny_C.002
08-08-2005, 04:37 AM
Interesting. I think personally speaking the whole idea of supporting and encouraging the overweight is just as bad as the flip side of the coin. Obviously one example here is Missy Elliot, whom the obese frowned upon when she lost weight for medical reasons. Seen in this light, I think this is as big a problem as the hollywood problem there.

So the question: none of the above. What we really need to do is to educate the people about "healthyness" and "it's okay to have some extra pounds than others", rather than this split image that we have right now.

Incongruity
08-08-2005, 04:51 AM
the fact that this thread is still alive vexes me.

Perhaps I should illustrate my point photographically.

I'll edit with the pictures later.

ah fookleschleimers. A g-mod's on. Pictures generally stay uncensored longest when posted immediately after a g-mod leaves.

but now that I've said this, kenny will go invisible...

!CeMAn
08-09-2005, 04:03 AM
I'm so looking forward to this picture :hungry:...

Fat people are not ugly, dude. UGLY fat people are ugly. When on top of overweight, they are ugly, that's when it's cringe-worthy. Look at Riki Lake, she's pretty cute :wink:.

I'm going on record and saying i'll take a chick with a belly over a chick with spikes sticking out of her back like a dinosaur, any day. It grosses me out when i see a lady's spine! Collar bones are kind of a turn off too. Put it this way... I prefer women to look soft rather than hard. That's the man's job.

As far as the stores carrying Plus Sizes, do you know that department stores alone made more than 12 billion selling Plus Size merchandise? That's a very nice number but still store officals claim that selling this size clothing regularly would drive away their more slim customers, thinking they were shopping at "a fat person's store".

That's shameless. What is the big deal with just sticking larger sizes in with the smaller ones? Even at Zeller's & Wal-Mart, they have to have a separate section for "full-figured". Way to make larger people feel even more alienated. Do they not realise they WiLL sell more clothes if they carry ALL the sizes?? It makes sense to me...

Genesis 1.0
08-09-2005, 04:16 AM
Hey, it makes sense to me as well, 12 billion in Plus Size clothing is well worth a few more snippy customers thinking they're shopping at a Plus Size store simply because it's evenly distributed. In a country who's main focus is MONEY, I think that would overrule misconceptions and a few disgruntled people, they sure don't mind angry citizens any other time.

As far as the preference, I agree wholeheartedly, I'll take a woman with a little extra weight over a skeleton with a thin veil of skin. It's like you could hug her and accidentally make her a vegetable. Not Cool.

!CeMAn
08-09-2005, 04:34 AM
:biggrin: I actually use the comparison of hugging her and then getting your liver punctured by a protruding pelvic gurdle.

It's all about presentation as far as i'm concerned. Who wants to get rough and **** her **** with ***** and ******* when she looks like you might break her??

Kenny_C.002
08-09-2005, 04:35 AM
As far as the preference, I agree wholeheartedly, I'll take a woman with a little extra weight over a skeleton with a thin veil of skin. It's like you could hug her and accidentally make her a vegetable. Not Cool.

True. There's some balance that we all would like to work with. And generally speaking I find the super-skinny "models" to be rather "ugly".

Genesis 1.0
08-09-2005, 05:03 AM
Ah but as you both know, we live in a society of extremes, you're either point A or Point Z, if you're in the middle you're not even in the running. Agagin, I can understand someone getting a gastric bypass to lose weight for health concerns, but I do not agree with starving yourself for the sake of a public image. On the same not, encouraging people to become larger than they are and just purposefully setting out to gain weight to prove some ludacris point or make a statement about the average woman is just as pathetic.

Kenny_C.002
08-09-2005, 05:29 AM
Ah but as you both know, we live in a society of extremes, you're either point A or Point Z, if you're in the middle you're not even in the running. Agagin, I can understand someone getting a gastric bypass to lose weight for health concerns, but I do not agree with starving yourself for the sake of a public image. On the same not, encouraging people to become larger than they are and just purposefully setting out to gain weight to prove some ludacris point or make a statement about the average woman is just as pathetic.

Please do not remind me of why Bush is in office right now. -_- And that reminds me that Martin's in office right now. -_-

But it's true that if the woman has the 4:7 (or something like that) ratio, she's considered to have "a good body", whether it's 36-25-36 or otherwise. I just don't understand why a woman who's got that ratio and is NOT skinny nor fat will be frowned upon anyway. It just seems to boggle my mind ( I know, it's the whole extreme business). :-/

And I agree about the both ends and that we need to encourage a mid-point instead to have better result....

Genesis 1.0
08-09-2005, 07:13 AM
Heh, but what's feeding both ends of the spectrum? Those that are in the middle, they don't want to be average so they swing one way or the other. It's either the image potrayed by Hollywood to strive for or eat up just to show you're different with Monique. Nobody wants to be themselve so they got to insane lengths just to be different and in the end, when one end overcomes the other, they become just another face in the crowd all over.

It's pretty sad that so many people are unhappy with who they are, now don't get me wrong, I'm not an opponent of self improvement but there are limits. To even consider going in any direction for any length, you should be comfortable in your own skin, if you couldn't look yourself in the mirror beforehand, what makes you think that spending time and money altering your look that you won't continue to see more and more flaws in a meaningless pursuit of physical perfection.

Kenny_C.002
08-09-2005, 10:15 PM
Heh, but what's feeding both ends of the spectrum? Those that are in the middle, they don't want to be average so they swing one way or the other. It's either the image potrayed by Hollywood to strive for or eat up just to show you're different with Monique. Nobody wants to be themselve so they got to insane lengths just to be different and in the end, when one end overcomes the other, they become just another face in the crowd all over.

It's pretty sad that so many people are unhappy with who they are, now don't get me wrong, I'm not an opponent of self improvement but there are limits. To even consider going in any direction for any length, you should be comfortable in your own skin, if you couldn't look yourself in the mirror beforehand, what makes you think that spending time and money altering your look that you won't continue to see more and more flaws in a meaningless pursuit of physical perfection.

Right we should all just follow Japanese culture so that the whole "another face in the crowd" thing would just work out. Seriously, I do believe that it's not that, rather we just prefer extremes genetically.

Dakota
10-10-2005, 07:53 PM
Just a fad...it used to be popular to be mega gauntly skinny...why can't we just love being in shape >_>