PDA

View Full Version : Best Kanto and Hoenn starters?

Kecleonfan666
06-16-2010, 03:57 PM
If you didn't know already, after you beat Red, you can go see Professor Oak to recieve one of the starter Pokemon. You can also go to Steven in the Silph Co. building and he'll give you a hoenn starter too.

So, I'm wondering what starters should I pick? Thanks.

Reflection
06-17-2010, 05:50 PM
Kanto - Venasaur, jut because he can take hits really well. Leaf Storm, SLudge Bomb, Sleep Powder, Synthesis. None of the Kanto starters are really "great" in competitive play, saadly.
Hoen - Swampert, great Lead. Earthquake, Ice Beam, Surf, Stealth Rock.

Kecleonfan666
06-17-2010, 06:17 PM
I won't be using them for competitive play. Just a good Pokemon to use in-game, out of those starters.

lu1z
06-17-2010, 09:35 PM
I won't be using them for competitive play. Just a good Pokemon to use in-game, out of those starters.

Well for in-game:

Charizard for Kanto- Because he has a great movepool and the lack of SR in in-game lets him enter whenever he wants.

Sceptile for Hoenn- Its fast and has a decent Atck and SpAtc.

If you ever want to use one of the starters for competitive play, Swampert is by far the best from Hoenn. And from Kanto i would say Venasaur as a sleeper or Blastoise as a spinner.

Teddiursa of the Sky
06-22-2010, 07:50 AM
Well for in-game:

Charizard for Kanto- Because he has a great movepool and the lack of SR in in-game lets him enter whenever he wants.

Sceptile for Hoenn- Its fast and has a decent Atck and SpAtc.

If you ever want to use one of the starters for competitive play, Swampert is by far the best from Hoenn. And from Kanto i would say Venasaur as a sleeper or Blastoise as a spinner.

For Kanto? Blastoise (it pwns!)

For Hoenn? Swampert (it has great defense stats, and electricity doesn't effect it!)

P.S: This non-electric effection (cool phrase huh? XD) is great and will play a large roll in Hoenn.

Vevevicamp
06-22-2010, 08:37 AM
This is from a non-gameplay perspective and more of a cooloness factoring.

Charizard is undoubtedly the coolest starter in Gen I. Followed closely by Venusaur, Blastoise in the faaaar back.

Gen III had some pretty cool final evo mons, but Sceptile takes the cake. Swampert and Blaziken look flat out stupid. (Swampert is a bit more silly though)

Teddiursa of the Sky
06-22-2010, 10:04 AM
This is from a non-gameplay perspective and more of a cooloness factoring.

Charizard is undoubtedly the coolest starter in Gen I. Followed closely by Venusaur, Blastoise in the faaaar back.

Gen III had some pretty cool final evo mons, but Sceptile takes the cake. Swampert and Blaziken look flat out stupid. (Swampert is a bit more silly though)

Blastoise is awesome! It looks so cool with two huge aquabazookas sticking out of its rock hard shell. Just look at my avatar!

NikoBelic999
06-22-2010, 03:33 PM
Blastoise is awesome! It looks so cool with two huge aquabazookas sticking out of its rock hard shell. Just look at my avatar!
I have never used blastoise before....

I would say Charizard for Kanto

and Hoenn, Blaziken is the winner.

KKranberry
06-23-2010, 10:15 PM

I agree with you :) I've used all of the Kanto starters through generations I and III, and they're all good pokemon. it really just depends on your style. I prefer Charizard, then Venusaur, then Blastoise. For Hoenn, I loved my Blaziken and I really didn't like Swampert. The resistance to electricity is really nice, though. Sceptile was good too though. It's really nice in Hoenn especially because of the enormous amount of water routes. However, you clearly won't be using it in Hoenn. It really depends on your style. I personally love fire types, and I think all of the fire type starters are awesome (except the Infernape line, I HATED Sinnoh starters and Sinnoh in general.

PokemonColor
06-24-2010, 04:06 AM
I always go for fire.
Hoenn(my fave region):
Torchic
Treeko
Kanto(second fave region):
Bulbasaur
Charmander
Squirtle
(They are all great)
Johto:
Cyndaquil
Chikorita
Sinnoh:
Chimchar
Piplup

3m0d0ll
06-24-2010, 06:21 AM
It depends on what you started with in HGSS.

I'd pick Bulbasaur and Mudkip, since I picked Cyndaquil.
BULBASAUR PWNS! And Mudkip so I an have a starter in all types.

Teddiursa of the Sky
06-24-2010, 08:23 AM

Blastoise owns. I used it in Fire Red! I battled throughout the whole game with it (and my team of course). It was epic, as I lost only one Pokemon in the Elite Four battle with Blastoise.

Dartz
06-24-2010, 11:23 AM
Water type rulezz

Winter
06-24-2010, 08:05 PM
Water type rulezz
I have to agree, I think the only time I didn't go for the water starters were in Jhoto and Hoenn because I just didn't like to looks of the water starters there--I actually have a Blastoise I managed to carry over from my FR that I love to death. My Blaziken and Sceptile from Emerald have followed me as well, they're all pretty good in the end, though.

ash_ketchup
07-21-2010, 10:07 PM
It really is pereference and what your team already is haha. i think you should pick these pokemon:

kanto- pick blastoise because the range of attacks he has is pretty vast because they all arent ice or water

hoenn- pick torchic because basically fire/fighting/flying (i know its not flying type but it is a bird pokemon so it has those attributes) its only good with physical attacks though. so learn blaze kick/punch or whatevs.

hope that helped a little?? haha. thats my opinion though. its whatev you want.

Skylands
07-21-2010, 10:23 PM
Personally, I like using Squirtle and Treecko.