PDA

View Full Version : WAR IX EVENT: Music - Results up!!

EmBreon
06-28-2010, 04:59 AM
Hm...

Guess I'm the host of this thing then.

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p226/Only_Emma/1047444azmp81le1x.gif

Welcome to
http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p226/Only_Emma/warmusi.png

Show off your musical skills in this mad race for the crown: PE2K's Idol! (Submit entry for WAR points)

Rules:
-One entry per person
-ANY music MADE BY YOU is acceptable. Be it singing acapella, doing a cover, playing an instrument, or making your own remix. As long as it’s some form of music, and as long its yours, I’ll accept it.
-Should be obvious, but do not plagiarize. You can include other music covers, but please give me a link of what you used, and a description of where and why it was used in your entry.
-Keep your entries under 5 minutes.
-Somethingsomethingdarksiiide

Judging Criteria
Skill
-First and foremost, is it good? I’ll be checking to see if the notes were on key, or the if the composition was executed smoothly.
5 pts
Originality
-The more you make your music your own, the higher you will score in this area. Try to be fresh and new. Cliché karaoke versions of popular songs will not do well here.
5 pts
Instrumentation/Vocalization
-This is where you will be judged against yourself. For example, if there is a piano entry and a guitar entry: the piano will be tallied on how well the piece was done by a piano, and the guitar will be tallied on how well the music was played on the guitar. The entries will be looked at individually, and scored based on how well the piece was composed in its selected platform.
5 pts
Fit of the Theme
-Pretty self-explanatory. Heavily inspire your work with the week’s theme, and have fun with it.
5 pts
Overall Sound
-When everything comes together. We’ll look at the presentation as a whole.
5 pts

Best possible score: 25 pts

Point Distribution
I will most likely be giving the winning entry 1 point for their team, and the runner-up a second point. Depending on the entries however, both points may be given to the first-place piece.

Entry form:
Team (Your War team‘s name):
Title (Of your music):
Description (Of your entry):
Sources (Music credit, if you used something made by someone else to create your piece):

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p226/Only_Emma/theme.png
There are no restrictions. Your music can be inspired by a battle, titled Battle, about a battle, battling a battle and so on into infinity and beyond. Be creative. Make some beautiful music.

***Note: Keep in mind that this is a WAR EVENT, meaning it will run for ONE WEEK ONLY. If you do not enter this week, you will not have another chance to participate in a music section for the rest of the war. So enter. Gimme some love. :(

Submissions close this Friday, whatever the heck day it is in July.

Good luck! Event is officially open. D: GOGOGOGOGOGOGOGOGOGOGOGO

Finch
06-28-2010, 07:47 PM
Love is comin' right up, Em. I already have a great concept, I just have to see if I can get the instrumentation right xD

I'll edit my form and entry in here when it's done.

Lord Fedora
06-28-2010, 08:19 PM
What he said, but replace instrumentation with lyrics.

EmBreon
07-01-2010, 12:28 AM
Only two days left, guys. :(

I hope people are just waiting till the last second to bombard me with their musical skillz.

FINCH, WHERE IS THE LOVE? DON'T LEAVE ME WAITING. You too, Khaj... AND EVERYONE ELSE.

I'll be watching...

/end spazz

The Maple Syrup Baptist
07-01-2010, 01:31 AM
I signed up for WAR. Hopefully I shall be granted the opportunity to create an epic "battle" themed song.

Phantom Kat
07-01-2010, 06:17 AM
Only two days left, guys. :(

I hope people are just waiting till the last second to bombard me with their musical skillz.

FINCH, WHERE IS THE LOVE? DON'T LEAVE ME WAITING. You too, Khaj... AND EVERYONE ELSE.

I'll be watching...

/end spazz

*spazzes*

I'm totally entering; my drawn entry has just been sucking my time. :P

'Sides, our band practices have been cancelled due to Hurricane Alex, so I feel the need to pick up my flute and play something. xD

- Kat

Orthar
07-01-2010, 06:39 PM
Here is my entry:
Team: Ain Soph

Metallica - Seek and Destroy (Vocal Cover). (http://www.mediafire.com/?dfhwymzxyyd)
Description: Basically is about a fight, it's Thrash Metal. Fighting = Battle.

I hope you don't mind that the song is a little longer than 5 minutes...Damn, I wish that this was a permanent WAR category.

Sixto
07-03-2010, 03:48 AM
Team: Ain Soph
Title: You Lost Me (http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=2qtztie&s=6)
Description: I think it fits the theme because even though it is mainly speaking of love, the lyrics match a battlefield.
Sources: Um, my voice, piano and this instrumental: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODjkcpSAqyA

I tried playing a little Fur Elise to prove it was me playing the piano. XD The instrumental starts with piano as well and I think I matched it pretty good. You may be able to tell me playing the piano better towards the end because the instrumental doesn't use as much piano when it's building into the chorus.

Also, if you notice the cut, that was me pausing the mic on my phone (iPhone 4 ftw!) and placing it further away. This was last minute. I am not at home, I am on vacation at a friend's house. He let me use his keyboard, but luckily I had my laptop and phone with me.

I would really like to know what people think. Up to this point, Emma is the only one whose heard me sing, so I'm pretty nervous. =|

The Maple Syrup Baptist
07-03-2010, 04:03 AM
Team: Shizen no Senshi
Title: Battle (WAR)
Description: Music to go to war to, from the vicious frontline assault to the sorrowful loss of loved ones.
Sources: http://www.myspace.com/bythemitch
Equipment: Guitar was done on an Ibanez 7 string guitar; bass was done on a Fender Squire 5 string bass; drums were programmed on Acoustica Beatcraft; guitars and bass were recorded on a Fender amp into GarageBand via a Rock Band USB mic; all parts were written/performed by me.

Finch
07-03-2010, 11:33 AM
^ Consider this withdrawal of my "love", sorry Em.

(That and I haven't had access to my bloody recording equipment until today, and now I don't have time.)

Lord Fedora
07-03-2010, 11:58 AM
Yeah, my internet's been going wonky so I can't upload anything ;^^ Sorry Em, hopefully next time.

Tombi
07-03-2010, 04:15 PM
Team: Shizen no Senshi
Title: Battle (WAR)
Description: Music to go to war to, from the vicious frontline assault to the sorrowful loss of loved ones.
Sources: http://www.myspace.com/bythemitch
Equipment: Guitar was done on an Ibanez 7 string guitar; bass was done on a Fender Squire 5 string bass; drums were programmed on Acoustica Beatcraft; guitars and bass were recorded on a Fender amp into GarageBand via a Rock Band USB mic; all parts were written/performed by me.

ONE FOR THE METAL LEGION!!! \m/

EmBreon
07-03-2010, 04:53 PM
WAR WEEK ONE EVENT: MUSIC - RESULTS

PainKiller

Skill:

You got a real strong voice, bro. You also hit a couple of very impressive notes in there. The only reason I didn’t give this a higher score here is because most of the song was the same, and it didn’t really show off what you can do. Plenty above average though.

Originality:

Excellent song choice. :P There was a lot of personality in this, and it really sounded like you felt the words you sang. Wonderful example of making the song your own.

Vocalization:

Just a smidgeon flat in some areas, but it was covered well. Great tone.

Theme Fit:

Great. Lots of power and rage; a fitting mood for a battle.

Overall Sound:

Pleasant to listen to; I enjoyed this a lot. The music was a little too soft, and kind of felt overpowered by your voice, but it had a great sound.
I’m also gonna have to dock a point for not editing it to be shorter than five minutes. :oops:

Final Score: 18.5 -1 = 17.5

Sixto

Skill:

You have a very smooth style of singing. It comes out so naturally, and feels like its almost effortless for you. Beautiful, really. The piano playing, however… was just a little rough. It’s wonderful that you know how to play well, but a few keys got messed up and it kinda distracted me from your great voice. Mighta been better to just focus on the vocals though; I had to kind of make a score average of the two put together.

Originality:

It was nice, but it was kinda average. I didn’t feel like this brought me anything new or something I haven’t heard before. It would have helped if you changed up the song a bit more or put more of your own personal style into it.

Instrumentation/Vocalization:

I know its more difficult to do both. Keeping track of an instrument and your vocals is more complicated than concentrating on only one, so I gave you a higher score here for pulling it off well.

Theme Fit:

Well… I see how it can be somewhat fitting. But I wasn’t really feeling any “battle” with this, in any way. There were a few lyrics that could be vaguely related to the theme, but it still wasn’t a strong representation of any kind of battle. Sorry dude.

Overall Sound:

A truly wonderful voice, decent piano, and an overall nice, soft, flowing mood. My only complaints are that it didn’t seemed to all blend together as well as it could have, and there were a few noticeable missed keys and one or two slighty pitchy notes there at the end. You probably could have knocked my socks off had you spent more time finding a great themed song, played and sang the whole song, and worked on the entire presentation longer. For a last minute ‘throw-together’ entry though, this is really impeccable.

Final Score: 14.5

The Maple Syrup Baptist

Skill:

Dude… seriously? I’m actually kind of in awe. I had no idea you could play so well; I must have been half-retarded or something when I browsed your music before. I didn't realize you made all your own stuff.

Originality:

I honestly have no idea how it could be any more original.

Instrumentation:

Flawless. If it wasn’t, I couldn’t notice, and I listened to it like five times.

Theme Fit:

Gah. The song pumped me up so much. I even felt like I was watching a battle, jeez. Absolutely brilliant, dude.

Overall Sound:

I feel really weird giving this a perfect score, but I really can not think up any reasons as to why the points should be lower in any category. A completely original piece, written and created by you, a spectacular match of the theme, and it all came together in this fantastic overall musical display; completely blew me away.

Freaking great job. Gosh.

Final Score: 25

All three of you made some awesome entries, but I feel I have to give both points to Mitch instead of splitting them up. His song was just so above and beyond the requirements for this contest, I'd feel cheap to spread out the points 1 and 1 to first and second place; especially being as we have only have three entries.

So congrats, Mitch. You just earned 2 points for Shizen no Senshi.

And that ends the Music event. Hopefully we'll be able to bring it back next War and see if we can get more activity. Thanks for participating.

Orthar
07-03-2010, 05:37 PM
Thanks for the compliments, and congratulations Mitch!