PDA

View Full Version : Football

earth_type_rule
07-04-2010, 04:21 PM
Or as the Americans bluntly would say "soccer".

So, does nobody follow the current World Cup? Or even if you are interested in football and follow the regular league matches in the different countries, discuss and share your opinions here.

Haze
07-04-2010, 04:47 PM
I've been watching it. Netherlands was really impressive against Brazil, but Robben flops sooooo much. I also feel a little sorry for Ghana, because that handball is the reason they're not advancing.

Germany vs Netherlands in the final.

earth_type_rule
07-04-2010, 04:51 PM
Cool, so there are people here who watch it a little. I'm hoping on the exact same final here ;)

Stardy
07-05-2010, 12:36 AM
After England went out (oh god we where poor this year), I wanted Ghana to win. After they went out I now want Uruguay to win. I see the finals being Netherlands/Germany though, probably with Germany winning considering how hot they've been lately (4-1; 4-0). I'd be fine with either winning though.

TheEvilDookie
07-05-2010, 01:52 AM
I was watching, but I lost interest after USA and England got out. I might end up watching a little of the final.

Husnain
07-05-2010, 02:30 AM
Spain v Uruguay!

Ah Beng I the Pikabeng
07-05-2010, 07:25 AM
Or as the Americans bluntly would say "soccer".

So, does nobody follow the current World Cup? Or even if you are interested in football and follow the regular league matches in the different countries, discuss and share your opinions here.

Apparently 18 million Americans watch this sport, but I doubt it's enough. To get more of the Americans interested they'd have to host the World Cup again like in 1994 (they're applying for 2018 and 2022), or get to the semi finals again like in... 1930. >_>

I can also recall all the results of the matches thus far, but you'll have to give me the fixtures first. :X

I've been watching it. Netherlands was really impressive against Brazil, but Robben flops sooooo much. I also feel a little sorry for Ghana, because that handball is the reason they're not advancing.

Germany vs Netherlands in the final.

What? Robben was Brazil's bane... And seriously, he is good.

Luis Suarez is hailed a hero back in Uruguay for sacrificing himself (he got a straight red for that handball) to get his team into the semi final. Though it would have been a different story altogether had Gyan converted that penalty... Don't think they'll make it to the final though. Though since there have been greater shocks in this World Cup (Spain 0 Switzerland 1, Germany 0 Serbia 1, Slovakia 3 Italy 2), I wouldn't put it past them... I know Algeria 0 England 0 too, but it doesn't count; England really failed this year.

Oh, and there are animals predicting the team that would win, and so far they've done a good job. A parakeet called Mani got all four quarter-final results correct (he's now guessing Spain v Uruguay in the final with Spain winning), and an octopus called Paul is also doing well (though it might be luck - he kept calling Germany and predicted them to eventually win the World Cup). I'm not making this up.

See, I do follow this event a lot. :D

pman
07-05-2010, 07:35 AM
After England went out (oh god we where poor this year), I wanted Ghana to win. After they went out I now want Uruguay to win. I see the finals being Netherlands/Germany though, probably with Germany winning considering how hot they've been lately (4-1; 4-0). I'd be fine with either winning though.

Why would you want Uruguay to win, they should have lost to your prior team, Ghana.

And cani please have a source on these amazing animals predicting results

earth_type_rule
07-05-2010, 08:49 AM
Apparently 18 million Americans watch this sport, but I doubt it's enough. To get more of the Americans interested they'd have to host the World Cup again like in 1994 (they're applying for 2018 and 2022), or get to the semi finals again like in... 1930. >_>

That's actually the problem for America to get real interest... They have to be in the spotlight, or else it's no good :/

Stardy
07-05-2010, 01:11 PM
Why would you want Uruguay to win, they should have lost to your prior team, Ghana.

Because I want a small team to win and Uruguay's the only small team left. Compared to the other three anyway. Agreed they should have lost though. Must say the dude who did the handball would probably be hailed a hero no matter what country he played for though, be it a Ghana Player, an England Player or whatever else, if it kept them in the cup anyway, and it did.

And here's Paul the Octopus. (http://www.spiegel.de/fotostrecke/fotostrecke-56276.html)

Haze
07-06-2010, 02:29 AM
What? Robben was Brazil's bane... And seriously, he is good.

I never said he wasn't good, I just said he flopped a lot, which is true.

More Americans would watch soccer if there weren't so many other big sports here to compete with. Most people here honestly would rather watch a football/basketball/baseball game because in the public's eyes they're more exciting.

Ah Beng I the Pikabeng
07-06-2010, 01:13 PM
Because I want a small team to win and Uruguay's the only small team left. Compared to the other three anyway. Agreed they should have lost though. Must say the dude who did the handball would probably be hailed a hero no matter what country he played for though, be it a Ghana Player, an England Player or whatever else, if it kept them in the cup anyway, and it did.[/URL]

Not true. I'm sure Brazil would never accept that from a player of theirs.

So you're always for the underdog, huh?

I never said he wasn't good, I just said he flopped a lot, which is true.

More Americans would watch soccer if there weren't so many other big sports here to compete with. Most people here honestly would rather watch a football/basketball/baseball game because in the public's eyes they're more exciting.

Well then they need to open up their eyes a bit because for starters how is rugby any less exciting than all those sports you mentioned? Oh, and I think you left out hockey.

And compared to many others, Robben actually performed well. He did well against Slovakia in the round of 16. I thought his opening goal was quite good. If you want a flop, try Wayne LRooney, Lionel Messyi, Cristiano Ronaldo and Kaka. Now these are flops.

... No love for Diego Forlan? With Suarez suspended, it's up to him now to perform like he did in past rounds, or better. Credit to Urugray for making their first semi final in 40 years.

Stardy
07-06-2010, 02:00 PM
Not true. I'm sure Brazil would never accept that from a player of theirs.

So you're always for the underdog, huh?

I'm sure they would if it kept them in the World Cup and would have gave them their best World Cup Performance ever.

Not really, I just like supporting the smaller teams. Why support Man United, who already have thousands of fans, when you could support Blackpool who probably need the support more? :tongue:

Puh-tree-cee-oh
07-06-2010, 02:24 PM
... No love for Diego Forlan? With Suarez suspended, it's up to him now to perform like he did in past rounds, or better. Credit to Urugray for making their first semi final in 40 years.

:O He's pretty much Uraguay's best player. I wanted Chile to win at first because I'm from there but after Brazil blew them out :P I saw the whole game of Uraguay vs. Ghana and man... THAT WAS INTENSE. But yeah the guy that said he's a hero yes definitely. If it wasn't for Suarez they would've been out. And the ball hitting the pole!?!? I loved how the goalie kissed it xD

But my predictions. Germany will destroy Spain and Uraguay will win closely to Netherlands. But whatever. Don't ask me I live in the United States. xD

earth_type_rule
07-06-2010, 04:24 PM
You shouldn't compliment a guy like Suaréz who constantly cheats in every match. He does that in the dutch league aswell, he dives all over the place. He then even complaints he gets to many cards, what a douche!

Haze
07-06-2010, 05:25 PM
Well then they need to open up their eyes a bit because for starters how is rugby any less exciting than all those sports you mentioned? Oh, and I think you left out hockey.

Why would we watch a sport that's not even played here for the most part? And no, I didn't leave out hockey.

LS
07-07-2010, 12:49 AM
Here's how it went down: Since I was five I've been supporting Brazil. I still do. I recently got an obsession with Messi and I respect Maradona as a player so I also supported Argentina. christiano Ronaldo is also a great athlete and I'm a huge fan therefore I also supported Portugal.

Portugal
Brazil
Argentina

Each of those teams lost.. Argentina vs. Germany was a terrible game and I was totally disgusted by that game..

Netherlands beat Uruguay today. A very good game! Great goals from both sides (Excluding Netherlands second goal) and Germany vs. Spain tomorrow. Germany is wrecking this year. But Muller isn't allowed to play next game and he's one of there best players so they might not be as powerful as before. Spain has a really good chance of knocking them out but to be honest I think Germany is going to pull through and win the Semi-Finals and sadly to say also take home the cup.

Or.. I could be wrong. Germany loses to Spain or Netherlands and one of those two win. I really don't care who wins anymore because I gave up on this world cup.

:)

Ah Beng I the Pikabeng
07-08-2010, 02:23 PM
I'm sure they would if it kept them in the World Cup and would have gave them their best World Cup Performance ever.

Not really, I just like supporting the smaller teams. Why support Man United, who already have thousands of fans, when you could support Blackpool who probably need the support more? :tongue:

Similar to what Maradona did, huh? Still, I doubt that sacrifice would give Brazil their best performance ever. There already was Pele, and besides you'd get sent off for that move. How the heck would you perform, then?

Well... this phenomenon of sports fans... I'm not too sure how to explain it. Some grew up watching those teams, some had a good first impression of the sport because of that team, some were awed by the success of those teams, etc... Yep. Still don't know how to explain it. X_X

You shouldn't compliment a guy like Suaréz who constantly cheats in every match. He does that in the dutch league aswell, he dives all over the place. He then even complaints he gets to many cards, what a douche!

Tell that to anyone in Uruguay. Chances are they'll defend him.

Why would we watch a sport that's not even played here for the most part? And no, I didn't leave out hockey.

You didn't? Oops. :X

Watch overseas matches, maybe? :P Besides, I'm pretty sure America does have quite a good rugby team. Just not good enough to match the world powerhouses... anymore. Yes, they dominated in the first quarter of last century.

Oh yeah, Germany 0 Spain 1. Carles Puyol scored. Now it's Uruguay vs Germany in the 3rd place play-off and Holland vs Spain in the final. Go Oranje! :D

EDIT: Speaking of which, how do you pronounce Oranje anyway? @_@

earth_type_rule
07-08-2010, 04:29 PM
EDIT: Speaking of which, how do you pronounce Oranje anyway? @_@

Owranjuh, is how you pronounce it, but I don't know how British or American people catch it.

Especially the R. We make it sound like a motor(Roughly...) while the British and American pronounce the R real flat.

On topic now, glad the Dutch team got to the Final, I hope to see a sudden burst from our team and suddenly plays their awesome football, like they did in the qualifiers. Could be that Bert van Marwijk wants to put himself in the underdog position to strike from out of nowhere :P

SLC
07-08-2010, 05:24 PM
I've been following the WC closely, and I think I might be supporting Holland for the finals. Haven't been too impressed by either teams on the whole, but I think the Oranje will just tip it.

Stardy
07-08-2010, 08:50 PM
Similar to what Maradona did, huh? Still, I doubt that sacrifice would give Brazil their best performance ever. There already was Pele, and besides you'd get sent off for that move. How the heck would you perform, then?

But it did give it to Uruguay, well, their best since 1950 anyway, especially when you consider they've only qualified twice in the last five world cups, two appearances in the last 20 years. Look, it came down to two options.

A) Go for a header. Miss. Crash out of World Cup at that stage.
B) Keep it out with handball. Get sent off. Team still has a chance of winning and keeping their cup winning dreams alive.

He got sent off and they won. He took one for the team, essentially. I'd have legitimately done the same if it came down to it. If our Keeper failed to save the penalty afterwards, well then ****. But yeah, I'd have done it. I'm also still sure that if a Brazil player did it and it kept them in the world cup, they wouldn't be complaining. Maybe say it's cheap and the other team deserved it, who knows, but it kept them in the cup, not much to complain about. :tongue:

Hoping for Netherlands to win. I'd have hoped for them to win over Spain or Germany really, since I'm not a big fan of either.

SLC
07-09-2010, 07:43 AM
tbh, I thought Suarez was a hero.

Tomorrow, it's Uruguay vs Germany. I'm predicting 3-1 to Germany.

Ah Beng I the Pikabeng
07-09-2010, 01:05 PM
Owranjuh, is how you pronounce it, but I don't know how British or American people catch it.

Especially the R. We make it sound like a motor(Roughly...) while the British and American pronounce the R real flat.

I see. =O

But it did give it to Uruguay, well, their best since 1950 anyway, especially when you consider they've only qualified twice in the last five world cups, two appearances in the last 20 years. Look, it came down to two options.

A) Go for a header. Miss. Crash out of World Cup at that stage.
B) Keep it out with handball. Get sent off. Team still has a chance of winning and keeping their cup winning dreams alive.

He got sent off and they won. He took one for the team, essentially. I'd have legitimately done the same if it came down to it. If our Keeper failed to save the penalty afterwards, well then ****. But yeah, I'd have done it. I'm also still sure that if a Brazil player did it and it kept them in the world cup, they wouldn't be complaining. Maybe say it's cheap and the other team deserved it, who knows, but it kept them in the cup, not much to complain about. :tongue:

Hoping for Netherlands to win. I'd have hoped for them to win over Spain or Germany really, since I'm not a big fan of either.

Yes, luck favo(u)rs the brave, but really, while Brazil will at times play dirty, I doubt they'd be that dishono(u)rable...

EDIT: I can't believe I forgot this. >_< Anyway, for those who didn't already know, poll's up for the 3rd place playoff (http://www.pokemonelite2000.com/forum/showthread.php?t=107020) and the final (http://www.pokemonelite2000.com/forum/showthread.php?t=107019).

EDIT 2: Playoff ended 3-2 to Germany. I knew they would win. Now the final starts in less than half an hour...

EDIT 3: Full time, 90 minutes, still 0-0. Now it can go on penalties... As in penalty shootout. That dreaded lottery.

EDIT 4: ... Not. Spain scored and won 1-0. Better luck next time... I guess.