PDA

View Full Version : Anime Characters: The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

Light-chan
07-31-2010, 07:53 PM
I think that one of the most important things about an anime is well-developed and interesting characters. I know that everyone has their own opinion on what makes a good character, and what makes a terrible character, and my opinion is likely to be different from yours. ^___^ So, I shall list a few of MY FAVOURITE ANIME CHARACTERS!!! And I'll also tell you why I like them.

http://fc03.deviantart.com/fs51/f/2009/294/1/0/NARUTO_Shikamaru_by_GODTAIL.jpg

#1. Nara Shikamaru [Naruto]

One of my all-time favourite anime/manga characters; even though I don't even like 'Naruto' very much anymore. Shikamaru is my favourite character because he's smart, but also very unmotivated at times, which makes him very different to the "classic genius" character you usually get. He has also been shown to be extremely brave, but not in a really stupid, suicidal way like Naruto, Rock Lee, Neji etc. He actually knows when to call it quits. Shikamaru is a strategist, he's always a step ahead, and he (usually) won't hurt people too badly if he can help it. And although he usually doesn't show his emotions much, he actually has a very caring and philosophical personality. But he also has flaws like any good character should: his body is not as strong as his mind, he can lose control of his emotions, he doesn't always win every single battle. He also doesn't do that really irritating thing that Naruto does and try to "change people with an emotional lecture so that they see the error of their ways, using their plucky determination not to give up on fighting because he cares oh-so-much about getting the villains to realise that they are really good people---YAWN" etc.

What really makes me like him though is the way that this character developed over time. I actually started out disliking him because he seemed like he was going to be a boring, annoying waste of time. Gradually, I grew neutral towards him, and eventually he became my favourite char in the show (the only reason I continued to even watch it for a while, lol)

http://www.freewebs.com/shonendream/Ren%20hiyoi%20gattai.jpg

#2. Tao Ren(Len)/ Dao Lian [Shaman King]

Okay, I have loved Shaman King ever since I saw this BADASS OPENING!!! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qLl145FqQg) And I still hold a fondness for the first Anime I ever really got into ('cept Pokemon but I was like, nine). Ren is my favourite character from SK because he's so mean, and unsympathetic, and at the beginning, downright violent & murderous. But then you get into his backstory about his family and so on, and it becomes clear that he is what they made him. He's got a real arrogance and pride to him that I find really cool, but he's really a good person at heart. He doesn't like to show it though. He's kind of like the anti-hero to balance out Yoh, which I thought was great. I also love his spiky hair. o3o; And his weird thing about drinking three glasses of milk a day, and in the anime there was this hilarious bit about "creamy puff puffs".

Also, he's just a complete BADASS.

((And these two are the only ones that I like enough to put in the top spots right now, I also have various other favourites like:))

Takasu Ryuuji [Toradora]~ because he's adorable and kind, yet really unobservant: he can cook and clean to the point of being freakishly O.C.D about it, and he tugs his hair when he's nervous/embarrassed (he kind of reminds me of my boyfriend as well XD).

Riza Hawkeye [FullMetal Alchemist]~ because she's such a badass girl, and not one of those god damn anime chicks that sits around being useless and whiny and crying and getting into trouble to wait for her love interest to save her. Riza actually goes out and kicks ass and blows the sh*t out of bad guys with her guns. She loves Roy, but she actually saves HIS ass as much as he saves hers.

Lucy/Nyu [Elfen Lied] ~ again, she is totally kickass, as well as tortured and guilty, but without being too emo. Her innocent side was also cute, like she repressed her memories a lot of the time to deal with her guilt. She's more... agressive in attempting to atone for what she's done to Kouta in the past. Diclonius, I thought was a really cool and original idea- those vectors were freaky, and I remember being a little disturbed by the amount of killing in the first episode. (I thought she was like a goddess at first or something). She is just badass when she goes around psychotically hacking people to pieces, but she could have actually been a really good person all her life if terrible stuff didn't happen to her. That episode where the kids killed her dog made me cry... with hatred :C

Now, for some characters that I actually despise.

EVERY SINGLE CHARACTER FROM INUYASHA (except Miroku, because he was a badass perv-monk who had a black hole in his freaking hand!)
Seriously: angst, angst, whine whine. Useless Kagome, Cheesily Mary-Sue Inuyasha, and the whole cast of embarrasing villains and backup characters... Not to mention that the plot was really cliche and kept doing the same things.

Yuka [Elfen Lied]
Oh. My. God. Shut up you whiny, whiny girl!!! To me, all she seemed to do was obsess over Kouta (her bloody-well cousin for pete's sake) because she fell in love with him at that festival years and years ago. She completely freaked out whenever Kouta showed interest in Lucy/Nyu, because... hey, girls with horns and strange powers who can't even speak any words just crawl out of the sea all the time: pay attention to me, Kouta, MEEE!

Orihime Inoue [Bleach]
Big breasts do not make for a good character. Sure she's cute, but she just seems to stupidly wait around for Kurosaki-kuuuuun <3 <3 <3 to notice her and fall in love with her (which I don't know if he does or not 'cause I stopped watching it because of the Fillers) She can use healing powers... but all she was really good for was a hostage for the Espada. Bleh. Besides... she's got big breasts, so what? Come on, boys: they are basically just milk-producing baby feeders.

~(@A@)~

I could go on and on; but I would rather see what other people's opinions are. :D So tell me: What are your favourite and least favourite characters of Anime: and give me reasons... ^____^ I'm interested.

Megiddo Flame
07-31-2010, 10:50 PM
MadLeomon from Digimon Xros Wars is one of the ugliest anime characters ever. I'm kinda glad they killed him off in the third episode.

The worst is Ash from Pokemon, he's too gullible. and not bright, and he's kind of annoying sometimes.

Best, probably Chomp from Dinosaur King, he's so cute in Chibi form.

Draconic_Espeon
08-01-2010, 01:02 AM
Interesting topic. ;3

My top three favorites are probably these guys.

1. Edward Elric (Fullmetal Alchemist)
And not just because I think he's hot! -shot- He's not a typical anime main character, and there's really a lot of depth to him. He isn't the clueless hero that you see in a lot of anime, and he actually grows through the anime, and not just in ability. He might be short tempered and an idiot at time, but he really cares deeply for those close to him. And then, of course, there's all the crap he's going through in his life. It makes you think that, really, your own life isn't so bad.

2. Maka Albarn (Soul Eater)
She's a girl who kicks butt, and, of the two main characters (her and Soul), she is really the one who does the fighting. She might not be amazing in the beginning, and it takes a while for her to truly realize her own potential, but once she gets there, she's really just an awesome character. And even though the anime itself is named after her partner, I really think she's the main character, not just the heroine who falls in the love with the main character.

3. Prince/Feng Lan (1/2 Prince) (It's actually a manhua, not an anime, but I love the character regardless)
To give you an idea of who I'm talking about, Feng Lan is a girl who decided to play as a guy rather than a girl in a virtual reality MMORPG (think .hack//). Essentially, I love her character because she really proves that a girl can be just as kick butt as a guy. Even though she's only playing a video game, but still.

Only one character at the moment that I can think of that I absolutely hate.

Misa (Death Note)
It's girls like her that I really hate. I mean, bad enough that she's constantly pining over Light, but she lets him use her. Lets him. You can't even blame Light for that, he's just making use of his resources. Meanwhile, idiot Misa ends up blowing three fourths of her life for him, AND she lets the one person who actually cared about her die. Because Light sure as heck doesn't care about her. Idiot, idiot girl.

And then there's one ugly.

Nunally (Code Geass)
I don't mean literally ugly, but her voice... It makes me want to rip out my eardrums. In the English dub, anyway. I get to the point where I can't help but hate her, even though she's crippled and not really a hate-worthy character.

Light-chan
08-01-2010, 12:10 PM
@ Draconic_Espeon

Pretty good top three you have there, FullMetal Alchemist FTW!! I quite like Ed too, but it does sometimes annoy me that he seems to do the most cool stuff. But then again, he's the main character and that's kinda what's supposed to happen. I never usually seem to have the main character of an anime as my favourite, I always get drawn to semi-main characters XD Exception being Lucy from Elfen Lied. I will admit though, I got impatient 'cause I wanted Ed to get with Winry... BUT I'M NOT A SHIPPER D:

Gawsh, I haven't actually watched Soul Eater yet, but I've seen tons of AMVs and it looks pretty damn cool. It's always great to see a kickass girl character, because I have been dissapointed to see in various Shounen and Shojo ones that the girls often seem to be useless/pathetic/weak/less badass than the male ones. What's with the sexism, Japan? Maka falls in love with Soul, huh? Is that not a bit weird; I thought he was her Death Sythe weapon thingy XD -wouldn't know exactly cause I've only seen a couple of episodes-

Hah, never heard of the last one, but I can tell you like strong girl characters like I do :D

Ooft, Misa... she really bothers me too, I hate those kind of girls... It's like they have no self-respect at all, isn't it? I liked the idea of Death Note though, havign the villain as the main character, Light. He's demented but it's interesting to watch him fall into insanity... xD; I didn't see the end though, but I heard it was terrible.

And Chaos_control: OMG I KNOW!! Ash was the worst character in the anime, he was so whiny and annoying. But also quite Mary-Sue because he alwasy seemed to win battles even though he really shouldn't have. I mean, Pikachu v.s Onix for his Boulder Badge... Okay, I had tried that when I first played Pokemon Red Version, and ... electricity doesn't affect rock, for Pete's sake!!! Don't forget that he's STILL in the anime and he STILL looks like he's about 12 years old!!! Shouldn't he be about 20-something by now? -facepalm-

Kenny_C.002
08-02-2010, 07:48 PM
1. Hinagiku Katsura (Hayate the Combat Butler)
So awesome even the girls want her (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/EvenTheGirlsWantHer). She is an awesome parody sue (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ParodySue). Student council president who will kick your butt so hard it's not even funny. Also hilarious. Kendo stick! (http://www.farawaynowhere.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/hinagiku2bkatsura1.png)

2. Dr. Tenma (Monster)
A man cool not for his skills in gunning (he's ok I guess), in surgery (though he is the best in the business), ability to empathize with people (that's for wussies), etc. It's the combination of all of that and his ability to cause genuine good in the world despite his entirely pessimistic outlook in life (for the majority of the series). I mean, does this (http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_aSP1QCAVclA/R5LZlGdeECI/AAAAAAAABKQ/0sIFCfAa7eU/s320/Monster_Tenma.jpg) even look badass? No, but he sure is.

Dislikes:
1. Hiroshi Kuzumi (Ookamikakushi)
There's a TV trope just for this guy. He's what we call the load (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheLoad). Wow...he's absolutely completely worthless in the entirely of the anime he existed in, and still is the main target for basically everything that happens. His best abilities seem to be "not doing anything in fear" or "hiding".

2. Shiro (Fate/Stay Night)
There's a name for this guy: the millstone (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheMillstone). You know what's worse than a load? A millstone. If something bad happens, This guy will show up and make it worse. Oh, the enemy's goal is to kill you when your allies are severely injured? You'll RUN TO the the enemy to hasten your defeat, causing your allies to sacrifice themselves so you can eventually escape. Well played Shiro. Well played.

"'The Ugly":
1. Johan (Monster)
You so pretty (http://baratijasblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/johan.thumbnail.jpg). ;)

2. Yuno Gasai (Mirai Nikki)
OK ok, she's just creepy. Yandere at its best though.

Will probably add more as I think about them.