PDA

View Full Version : EVs

Sheignie
08-11-2005, 06:27 PM
I've only had NB for about a month now. This, of course, means that I still have a lot to learn. I just recently learned about EVs, and although I don't completely understand them, I seeing how more experienced NBers can use them. Anyway, my question is this:

How do you guys know what EV spreads are best for certain Pokemon?

What I mean by that is, how do you know if it's a good or bad idea to load a lot of Attack EVs into, I don't know, Gengar or whatever? I would really like to learn how to do that so I can make my own EV spreads instead of just asking people for them. Thanks so much in advance.

~Sheign

(BTW, I wasn't sure where to put this, so I just stuck it on this board. Feel free to move it to where it should go)

Bravo Leader
08-11-2005, 10:39 PM
Well I'm quite new to netbattle too so I'm still learning about EVs but you want to give EVs to pokemon so their stats go up. So if you have like a Milotic you would want to concentrate on its special defense, defense and hp mostly and can do a little bit in special attack because Milotic is mostly a wall. You give attackers more attack EVs depending on how they attack. Attack EVs for physical attackers and Special Attack EVs for special attackers. But the hard part is giving them the right number of EVs. Certain pokemon that need Speed EVs only need a certain amount to be faster than others so you don't need to max them out. That's what I'm learning more on now, is how many EVs to give to each pokemon. There are a few sites like smogon.com that help give you certain EVs for each pokemon if you are really desperate for help.

Forsety
08-11-2005, 11:22 PM
I've only had NB for about a month now. This, of course, means that I still have a lot to learn. I just recently learned about EVs, and although I don't completely understand them, I seeing how more experienced NBers can use them. Anyway, my question is this:

How do you guys know what EV spreads are best for certain Pokemon?

What I mean by that is, how do you know if it's a good or bad idea to load a lot of Attack EVs into, I don't know, Gengar or whatever? I would really like to learn how to do that so I can make my own EV spreads instead of just asking people for them. Thanks so much in advance.

~Sheign

(BTW, I wasn't sure where to put this, so I just stuck it on this board. Feel free to move it to where it should go)

Its your own judgement in some cases its to beat specific pokemon and depends on moves....

For example if you have a pokemon with a 2x speed boosting trait or move, most would do 196 for speed as that x2 is the minimum for outspeeding the super fast 130 base speed pokemon and allows you to boost defenses and offense.

Some have HP at an exact ammount like Muk and Lapras 405HP, lets them create 101HP subs to mess up Seismic Tossers.

Some who are built for specific tanking will see max HP and defenses like Dusclops, Weezing, Blissey.

Lets take Gengar for example......

Generally the standard McGar uses a Focus Punch and special attacks, it'd normally receive max speed to take down other Gengars and most fast pokemon. Most of the other stats go into spcl.atk since thats its best stat and HP, spcl.def and def is neglected because hes either hiding behind a sub, immune to most attacks or attacking all out. Then most would boost his attack to about 200.
200 attack is generally the minimum to do good damage with a Focus Punch on a Blissey and still hurt some other guys with it.

Best EV spreads are upto you, basically you have to know what strategies you want to use, the pokemons strong points and critical points for stats and standard points for stats.