PDA

View Full Version : OU Alternatives

Sheignie
08-13-2005, 07:41 PM
I was doing another one of my crazy Poke`mon data endeavors when I decided to come up with a list of Poke`mon that could be nice alternatives to Very OU Poke`mon in NB. Please note that I am not trying to replace these Poke`mon, I am just trying to find alternatives for them that aren't used as much. Well, here we go:

If you liked Blissey and Snorlax, you'll love Miltank. Miltank is a multitasker, if anything. She can be a cleric with Milk Drink and Heal Bell, but also be able to take some serious hits. She's also not entirely UU, so no need to worry that people will laugh at you.

If you liked Celebi and Jirachi, you'll love Slowking. Its stats are excellent, it has the allure of a dual-type Psychic, and it has a cozy, Johto-Poke`mon feel. How could you want anything else?

If you liked Heracross, you'll love Pinsir. The archrival of Heracross, Pinsir is one of the best Bug types in NB today. And, it gets Guillotine, Brick Break, and Swords Dance. This Poke`mon has all of the possibilities of Heracross, without the Very OU staple.

If you liked Metagross, you'll love Xatu. Xatu has amazing stats for such a UU Poke. It's also not effected by Ground-type attacks, which you can't say for Metagross. And, can anyone say Future Sight?

If you liked Salamence, you'll love Dragonite. No, Nemesis, I have not given up. Anyway, Dragonite and Salamence are pretty much parrallel. They have the same base stat totals, they are both Dragon-Flying, everything. Except for the fact that Dragonite can Subpunch, and Salamence just can't.

If you liked Skarmory, you'll love Steelix. Now, it is very hard for any Poke`mon to fill Skarmory's shoes, but Steelix seems to be the best choice. And besides, if Steelix is having trouble, you could always Explode.

If you liked Swampert, you'll love Whiscash. Water-Ground is one of the best type combos ever, and Whiscash builds on it beautifully. And Wallace has one. And you have to follow Wallace, right?

If you liked Tyranitar, you'll love Shiftry. It has everything Tyranitar has, plus Extrasensory. Dark Poke`mon will never be the same.

If you liked Zapdos, you'll love Raikou. It has all of the speed and allure of Legendary Poke`mon as Zapdos, and it also sounds cooler. And that's the most pwning, correct?

Thank you for your time. Please don't jump on me for not liking very OUs. I just like to cook up alternatives.

IT
08-13-2005, 07:47 PM
Some disagreements here:

Miltank doesn't replace Blissey, Blissey takes special hits, Miltank physical.

As someone here said before, Slwking is almost completely outclassed by Slowbro.

Pinsir gets Guillotine, yes it does, but OHKO moves are considered 'noobish', so don't use them.

Future Sight sucks, on Xatu as well.

Whiscash is good, but I wouldn't recommend it as an alternative for Swampert.

I have never thought how Shiftry is comparable with T-tar?

I think Raikou is more OU than Zapdos...

Loyal Arcanine
08-13-2005, 10:38 PM
I agree mostly with IT. Some further points:

Heracross get's STAB from Megahorn and Brick Break. Pinsir get's STAB from ... oh right, nothing.

My name is Metagross, and instead of saying Future Sight I say Meteor Mash and pwn.

I like Dragonite better than Salamence, although I can't deny that Salamence's speed comes in handy.

In addition to Swampert's superior stats, I don't have to listen to Wallace. He acts and looks gay.

We're lucky that Shiftry has everything Tyranitar has. I mean, who doesn't want Dragon Dance + EQ and STABed Rock Slide, or SubPunch?

Please don't jump on me for not liking very OUs.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not doing that. Your alternatives are very interesting. But then again OU's are OU for a reason.

Sheignie
08-14-2005, 02:43 AM
I guess I have to repeat myself: I am not trying to come up with replacements, I am looking for alternatives. Lots of people don't like OU Poke`mon. I am one of them. I understand that Metagross pwns Xatu. I wasn't saying it didn't. I'm just saying that Xatu is an interesting alternative to Metagross. That is all.

Oh, and Raikou is in NO WAY more OU than Zapdos. Just look at Nemesis' tiers at the top of this forum.

Bravo Leader
08-14-2005, 04:38 AM
Well first of all, people can have different opinions on what placement of pokemon there are in the "tiers". That was just Nemesis's placement of tiers and it was pretty accurate but that does not mean it is flat out standard and no one else's opinion matters. Raikou is still OU even in Nemesis's tiers so if you don't like OU pokemon why use a less used OU pokemon. If you want an alternative electric, I'd say Manetric would be one. Jolteon, Raikou, and Zapdos are all OU so Manetric is the next best thing and its pretty cool too. Also like every one else said, Shiftery is nothing like Tyranitar with moves or with uses. Same goes with Metagross and Xatu. I'm not saying the aren't good alternatives to use but you should really use more pokemon that are related to something like Tyranitar or Metagross(which I can't think of anything cause they are so OU that nothing really compares to them except for Tyranitar which you can use another subpuncher if you want I guess)

IT
08-14-2005, 09:09 AM
I guess I have to repeat myself: I am not trying to come up with replacements, I am looking for alternatives. Lots of people don't like OU Poke`mon. I am one of them. I understand that Metagross pwns Xatu. I wasn't saying it didn't. I'm just saying that Xatu is an interesting alternative to Metagross. That is all.

Oh, and Raikou is in NO WAY more OU than Zapdos. Just look at Nemesis' tiers at the top of this forum.

Alternative and replacement are pretty much the same thing... Alternative should have the same qualities as the Pokemon it is 'replacing', for example, if you want an alternative for Metagross, Golem woud suit better than Xatu. Golem is affected by Ground types, but if you predict an EQ, Golem with Counter and Salac Berry is just awesome.

Tyranitar replacement/alternative; Rhydon, awesome subpuncher if batonpassed some speed.

Blissey replacement/alternative; Regice, which is OU nowadays.

I could keep on going, but I think I made my point clear.

Forsety
08-14-2005, 09:35 AM
I like finding tons of alternatives since OU's are what drove me away from my favourite Pokemon Gengar.

But numerous things must be said....

-Miltank and Blissey aren't the same, Blissey is a special defensive cleric, and Miltank is a physical offensive cleric. Nothing can replace Blissey period hence why its so OU.

-Slowking gets murdered by grass and electric even with its rather good spcl.def unlike Jirachi and Celebi and is slower than Starmie. If anything Exeggutor is a more viable alternative to Celebi and Hypno or Dunsparce for Jirachi....the typing of the two is just too unique to replace easily along with their roles.

-Pinsir has no Bug and Fighting STAB moves otherwise its about equal in everything else. But this does make a good replacement since in Pinsir's case it actually carries better typing than Heracross while lacking the two moves.

-Metagross is a physical attacker and Xatu is a annoyer/special attacker with completely different typings, especially since Meta shrugs off ALL 3 of Psychic's weakness. Big difference. If anything, nothing can serve as a alternative to Metagross period, which is the main problem when trying to find something like it, Golem and Rhydon are the closest things and come nowhere close.

-Salamence and Dragonite however is a better comparison, most favour Salamence for speed but Draggy has better defenses and versatility, unfortunately 4x Ice weakness gives a big sending off for both, making Dragonites defenses rather =_=

-Skarmory and Steelix? Thats an awful comparison when a better one in the form of Forretress is right under your nose. Forretress and Skarm pack similar roles except one explodes/tanks and the other pseudo-hazes. But their typing gives them similar resistances mainly no physical weaknesses, except Forretress exchanges electric weakness for neutral ground and 4x fire.

-Swampert vs Whiscash, decent enough but you miss Quagsire and therefore you lose points.

-.....Shiftry vs Tyrannitar? Please...no contest...thats like comparing Marrowak to Raichu. Tyrannitar can Boltbeam, Shiftry cannot, if you said Absol or Sneasel I might have barely let you have it but even thats a far stretch. Tyrannitar is another of these things you can't replace, only work around.

-Raikou and Zapdos? That kind of defeats the point of this....