PDA

View Full Version : Halo Reach?

Peace Buyer
09-20-2010, 04:51 AM
who here is playing Reach?

Rival Silver
09-24-2010, 09:09 AM
Meh, I don't have it yet but plan on getting it in a couple weeks time.

Hope its as every bit as good as I expect it to be.

The Maple Syrup Baptist
09-25-2010, 12:51 AM
I really enjoyed Reach, and I've never been a Halo fan, so I would guess that says a lot.

Kenny_C.002
10-01-2010, 05:52 AM
I really enjoyed Reach, and I've never been a Halo fan, so I would guess that says a lot.
It was quite a step up in graphical enhancements as compared to ODST, that's for sure. The problem with Reach's story is that it's pre-written, so people who love the Halo universe and know all about it might be reluctant to play it. Also, due to the nature of games like Halo (the muscle-bound-shooter type game), the type of storyline might not jive well with the audience. In fact, there has been some backlash in that department. I like Bungie's guts to do this nonetheless. They could have butchered the story quite a bit to fit in with the audience and ret-conned the heck out of the book.

Lan.exe
10-01-2010, 06:12 AM
Didn't they have a book about what Master Chief was doing during this time too? I was half expecting that to be the game... but it was still great nevertheless. I would have loved to see a space battles game type a la Star Wars Battlefront though...

Todd6
11-07-2010, 12:35 PM
Reach is okay but I like Halo3 way better.

mightydes
11-14-2010, 08:22 PM
Didn't they have a book about what Master Chief was doing during this time too? I was half expecting that to be the game... but it was still great nevertheless. I would have loved to see a space battles game type a la Star Wars Battlefront though...

Yea, they had the book "The Fall of Reach" which I think the game was based off of in some ways. As for the space battles, I didn't like it. I didn't feel like I was playing Halo anymore. Felt like I was playing Star Wars or Star Trek.

I've loved everything about Halo (except ODST. I didn't like that game), and for storyline, Reach was great. I never got to finish reading "The Fall of Reach" because my backpack got stolen last year, but I'm fairly sure some of the Spartans in Reach were from the book.

But yea, long story short, Reach was a really good game. Glad they didn't bring the Flood (as much as I love those alien parasites) in like they did Halo Wars (which was stupid, in my opinion).

NTT
11-14-2010, 10:24 PM
Yea, they had the book "The Fall of Reach" which I think the game was based off of in some ways.

They occurred at the same point on the Halo timeline, but followed different groups of soldiers. The stories themselves are completely independent b

As for the space battles, I didn't like it. I didn't feel like I was playing Halo anymore. Felt like I was playing Star Wars or Star Trek.

Agreed. I have no idea why they bothered making such a big deal over space combat (which is nothing new in of itself anyway) when all it appeared in was a single segment of a single mission. It felt like they put it there for no good reason.

I'm fairly sure some of the Spartans in Reach were from the book.

Fall Of Reach covered the background training and activities of the Spartan IIs, aka Master Chief and the original Spartans. Halo: Reach covers Noble Team, who are mostly Spartan IIIs, a later generation of inferior Spartans. While Jorge is a Spartan II, I don't think the novel actually mentions him by name.

But yea, long story short, Reach was a really good game. Glad they didn't bring the Flood (as much as I love those alien parasites) in like they did Halo Wars (which was stupid, in my opinion).

I was really hoping for a Flood-based Firefight mode, it would be a lot faster paced than the predominantly ranged combat you encounter in standard FF. A competetive mode would have been cool, with small teams of Spartans and Elites facing off to see who can amass the biggest body count [=

mightydes
11-14-2010, 11:11 PM
That Firefight mode you just suggested... I would have have so much preferred that over the space mission! Over anything (except maybe firing the MAC cannon. I felt like the most powerful being in that thing, taking down Phantoms like nothing)!

And I read up on some information. Carter, Emile, and Jun are from Alpha Company, which is a group of Spartan IIIs in training during Ghosts of Onyx, if I remember correctly (need to reread all the books ^^") so I probably just got confused from there. XD

Technically speaking, the Spartan IIs weren't the first Spartans. The Spartan Is were, although there are no known Spartan Is (though Sgt Johnson is believed to be one). ^^"

But anyways, BACK to Reach (Halo fanboy XD), it was awesome, apart from the space mission. I love the new armor abilities replacing equipment. Also, Drones explode! And Skirmishers were a nice addition to give Jackals another role on the battlefield.