PDA

View Full Version : What is the best pokemon starter in pokemon platinum?

Madelynn
01-03-2011, 03:43 AM
What is the best starter pokemon in Diamond, Pearl and Platinum? Chimchar which is a strong fire pokemon, Piplup which is a water penguin or Turtwig which is a very good grass pokemon. Which will you choose?

ironZEKROM
01-03-2011, 03:47 AM
i'd go with piplup. it's just that i like penguins and it's pretty good when using him in an in game team.

Mr420
01-03-2011, 04:17 AM
i've always favored chimchar & piplup over turtwig. I've only trained the latter once before

ashkelon
01-03-2011, 04:49 AM
I've started with all of them.

In all of the games (since RBGY even) I've felt like fire are the strongest starters and grass the weakest (with the exception of Brock's gym in Pewter and you had plenty of time to catch other stuff and be ready for Cerulean).

Maybe I just like fire pokes, but early in the game it's the type more than the moves anyway.

Which means that no matter what you choose, you have time to think and devise a strategy that suits you and the pokemon you like, to choose complimentary pokes and know the moves to teach them.

In the end, choose what you want and have fun!

I've been successful with all of them, and I've played through with every starter there is, in all of the games.

I just admit to being partial to fire -- an loving Yellow and starting with Pikachu!

Judgmental Arceus
01-03-2011, 04:51 AM
Chimchar I've usually used, though Empoleon's Steel-typing does come in handy.
Shouldn't this be in the Pokémon Platinum board by chance?

Biscotti
01-03-2011, 05:59 AM
Do you mean best starter in regards to looks, or difficulty? Personally I think Piplup is the cutest starter, although it's definitely not my favorite when it's completely evolved.

In regards to difficulty, Chimchar would be the toughest to start out with knowing that the first gym leader has Rock type Pokemon, so I would start with Piplup or Turtwig.

Arch Enemy
01-03-2011, 11:09 AM
All the starters are pretty powerful, in my opinion. But their types is the thing that makes the difference. xD
For me, I've picked Piplup as a starter, in Pokémon Platinum. It's water type (one of my favorite type), and when it reaches its final evolution stage, it gets an immunity to Poison type, while Pokémon like Infernape doesn't get any. d:
Turtwig would be my second pick. :3 It gets an immunity when it reaches its final evolution stage, as well.
Chimchar isn't that bad... When it evolves for the final time, into Infernape, it gets more attack and speed stats than Torterra and Empoleon, but, it can easily be defeated though, it's not that defensive.

Teddiursa of the Sky
01-03-2011, 03:16 PM
Depends on YOUR play style and less on the type of style of the Pokemon. If you feel defensive, go with Piplup or Turtwig. If you feel offensive, go with Chimchar.

Dartz
01-03-2011, 04:28 PM
Well, according to me, the best starter is chimchar comparing to other two.

Teddiursa of the Sky
01-03-2011, 05:49 PM
Well, according to me, the best starter is chimchar comparing to other two.

The other two are more rewarding when they evolve though. Chimchar is pretty weak even as its final form, it can easily be taken down by one Earthquake or three Arial Aces at level 70.

Skylands
01-03-2011, 08:35 PM
They are all the same, they were all designed to counter their weakness yet still retain the Water, Grass, Fire triangle.

Teddiursa of the Sky
01-03-2011, 08:49 PM
NooooooooooHOOOOOOOhooooo! That is not true.

Chimchar and its later starters have far more weaknesses than just water and flying. And I would like to point out Empoleon has one weakness and Torterra has only two.

Blaziken is weak to:
Water
Flying
Psychic
Ground
Ghost
And early Chimchar is weak to Rock

skorm178
01-10-2011, 10:53 AM
I have always gone with the water type first up, and i don't play defensively at all, but Piplup is so powerful, especially with the metal and flying (though it isn't actually flying it gets drill peck)

kemo
01-22-2011, 08:23 AM
I would love to have all of them. In my view each one of them is good. But if I needed to pick a specific one then I would go for Chimchar. My second choice will be Piplup and my final choice will be Turtwig. But I firmly believe that the choice depends on the way you play.

Ceromax
01-22-2011, 09:16 AM
I See it as They all have there own advantage and disadvantage just like every kind of Pokemon has a weakness or resistance. my favorite is Turtwig because torterra is pretty strong when you get it.

Cepheus
01-24-2011, 04:09 PM
My Torterra has treated me well.. This is my first time through the game & I've never played D/P.. So I am not able to compare really... But from what I've seen Piplup's evolution has superior defense & Chimchar's evolution has superior offense... I think Turtwig is sort of middle of the road... With the obvious weakness' & great strength..