PDA

View Full Version : Are we just getting Older or is Pokemon getting worse?

camds
01-12-2011, 07:04 PM
Now, It is possible that this has been a topic already discussed, but I
havnt visited for awhile and wouldnt mind peoples points of view,

The argument:
The reason why lots of people dislike the look of pokemon B&W is because
they have grown up with Pokemon and are now too old to appreciate how
great the new pokemon are.

I think personally that of course, we are getting older, but this doesnt mean
that the pokemon games arnt getting worse, because lets face it, they are.
However Pokemon games will always be around, and they will always have
fans, but they will probably lose a lot of fans that are into the old pokemon
games, which is why I think they keep re-making the old classics to draw
the old fans back into pokemon.
Of course the pokemon games are getting graphically better, and more
intresting and fun but the pokemon arn't as good as the old ones, I think
that they are running out of ideas, which is to be expected, but looking
through the list of pokemon and seeying an Icecream cone really put
realisation into my mind of how they are losing idea's and pokemon are
becoming more abstract and ugly.

Just my opinion, I havnt played Pokemon B&W yet so I shouldnt be
critisising it but I will surely play it and see what I think of it. Of which im
sure it will be a fine good game.

Whats your opinion on this subject, are pokemon getting worse or are
we just getting to old?

Ridley
01-12-2011, 07:37 PM
http://images.wikia.com/pokemon/images/3/3c/Dasutodasu.png

They're running out of ideas.

Necromancer
01-12-2011, 08:26 PM

Wait, is that thing even alive?

Etymology
01-12-2011, 08:36 PM

TAKE THAT BACK.

Yabukuron <3.

I think it's the fact people are getting older. Some people didn't really understand the design point of many of the Pokemon this generation...

And when you compare Grimer to Yabukuron? Which seems more original? A pile of sludge or trash that uses bin lining as a sort of shield?

Teddiursa of the Sky
01-12-2011, 08:38 PM
No, it is not that we are getting older. For God's sakes, I still enjoy all the way to the beginning of Hoenn. However, the more recent Pocket Monsters suggest that they are running out of ideas.

If it was that I was outgrowing Pokemon, I do not think I would ignore my gut feelings and buy the most recent Pokemon game, Black and White, either. Count me in for previous Gens, however the new one does seem a little wacko. Each Pokemon is stupid-looking and poorly based, or is an obvious ripoff of another, earlier, Pokemon.

Face it, they are getting a little worse.

camds
01-12-2011, 08:47 PM
No, it is not that we are getting older. For God's sakes, I still enjoy all the way to the beginning of Hoenn. However, the more recent Pocket Monsters suggest that they are running out of ideas.

If it was that I was outgrowing Pokemon, I do not think I would ignore my gut feelings and buy the most recent Pokemon game, Black and White, either. Count me in for previous Gens, however the new one does seem a little wacko. Each Pokemon is stupid-looking and poorly based, or is an obvious ripoff of another, earlier, Pokemon.

Face it, they are getting a little worse.

What my friend (the person who raised this argument) was trying to say was I think that the younger generation might prefere the newer pokemon because they havn't experianced the older ones. Perhaps the newer pokemon are more tailored to the younger audience.

http://images.wikia.com/pokemon/images/d/d4/Shubarugo.png

Ok. Mabye they are just running out of ideas.

RocketMeowth
01-12-2011, 08:48 PM
In all honesty, Pokemon isn't running out of ideas. We only say that because the designs aren't up to our expectations. Every single location, every region, every Pokemon, it's all based off of something. There is an entire WORLD that they haven't touched yet and probably are going to look into later on.

Their games haven't really suffered. The only bad ones I remember playing were Pokemon Dash, Pokemon Channel (in comparison to Hey You Pikachu, which I think Channel was to be a sequel of...)... and I think that may be it. Pokemon Battle Revolution is a weaker one, but I don't consider it terrible because of the new 3D models, the nice lighting in it, and the fact that Pokemon run up to each other now. However in comparison, it's a lacking game for a larger consul one.

Pokemon is still as great as ever. I love the fifth generation and I think a lot of the ideas are nice. They even made up for their lack of Bug Pokemon pretty nicely, giving us neat new creatures like Pendra, the centipede guy.

Pokemon isn't running out of ideas. Our expectations have just become too high.

That's my opinion anyways.

=^^= Nya

camds
01-12-2011, 09:14 PM

This could be it, we are constantly expecting bigger and better pokemon
and always seem to be dissapointed with the newer ones but once we get
round to playing the games and catching those pokemon we begin to enjoy
them for what they are.

RocketMeowth
01-12-2011, 09:20 PM
Also, if they were running out of ideas then Generation 5 wouldn't a purely new region (no connections to the past ones other than character cameos and fossils). xD

=^^= Nya

Mr420
01-12-2011, 10:17 PM
I've had this topic brought up once or twice, true the older games had something there but I have to say this as no one else is or will.
the ONLY reason that I can see GameFreak/TPCI doing the remakes that they have was 2 sided
1)to allow the past Gen a moment to catch up to the current DEX /lineup
2) to allow the graffix a nice boost/ facelift

other than those two reasons I myself would not spend any of my hard earned cash into any remakes
I look 4werd to the future and I say this lightly GEN V is way better than any of the older games by far -THO they could have made it a bit easier to navigate your items bag-
EX:I personally dig the superior manueverability of the HG/SS item bag 100%
in Black & White you can Xpect to navigate your bag the same manner as in D/P/Pt. scrolling down a list of infinite *hit.

Yes some of us are getting older. but thats life.. you Do or Dont then we die
No the games arent getting worse I actually love the animated sprites the new region there's still a night & day factor to the games & seasons isnt bad at all
WiFi over cables? Im WiFi 100%
Over and Out

Poltergeist
01-12-2011, 10:20 PM
I don't know about you guys, but to me B/W looks like it will be the best entry in the series since G/S/C. I think people become blinded by nostalgia and fail to realize there were some fairly bland original Pokemon. Voltorb was just a living Pokeball, and Jynx is still, in my opinion, one of the weirdest Pokemon out there.

Neo Emolga
01-12-2011, 10:34 PM
We are getting older, and Nintendo/Game Freak aren't tailoring the games to an older audience. When you play Pokemon, there is no option to play as an older character in their teens or as an adult. You are always playing a young kid, and since that element isn't growing old with you, yes, you do feel like you're outgrowing the series. From what it seems, younger gamers don't mind playing older game characters. Older gamers seem a little wary about playing as a kid in a video game. It just feels a little awkward and reminds you that the game you're playing isn't intended for the target audience you're a part of.

Rhys!
01-12-2011, 10:35 PM
Someone posted this before, not sure if it was on PE2K though, but it was so true.

Sure the Pokémon in GENV are pretty slack, but some of the earlier Pokémon would've been hated if they were created this late into the series, like Voltorb, Ditto and Grimer, some of the most pathetic designs ever.

I see no problem with any of the new designs... except for that trash thingy posted above, and the freakin' ice-cream.

In conclusion, just as RM said, we're wanting too many cool, awesome looking Pokémon.

Neo Emolga
01-12-2011, 11:27 PM
Someone posted this before, not sure if it was on PE2K though, but it was so true.

Sure the Pokémon in GENV are pretty slack, but some of the earlier Pokémon would've been hated if they were created this late into the series, like Voltorb, Ditto and Grimer, some of the most pathetic designs ever.

I see no problem with any of the new designs... except for that trash thingy posted above, and the freakin' ice-cream.

In conclusion, just as RM said, we're wanting too many cool, awesome looking Pokémon.

I've noticed the same thing with every generation:

There are some good ones, and there are some bad ones.

Still, I think the whole point of the game is regardless of who you are, you're bound to find at least a few Pokemon you can love, whether they are cool-looking, cute, funny, made after your favorite animal, or whatever. And the reverse is perfectly true as well.

Grassy_Aggron
01-13-2011, 12:57 AM
Admittedly, the series has changed...But the people who are designing the 'mon are changing too. People leave, people die, new people are brought in...Rinse and repeat.

They are different. But that shouldn't make them "bad". It's based purely on one's dislikes and likes. I love Ulgamoth (the fire/bug) and some of the new designs. Personally, I loved Hoenn - Aggron is my favorite.

I mean, I love games a lot of fans of a series hate (I'm looking at all the Sonic fans out there). I'm wary of Black and White, but I still preordered Black. I'm a little mad that Secret Power, Water Pulse, and Shock Wave aren't TMs anymore...And that there are no Move Tutors for regular pokemon like in the other games. That's a big no no.

But I'm looking forward to the graphics.

ironZEKROM
01-13-2011, 01:01 AM
i'm just grateful that they even made a new pokemon game.

Teo
01-13-2011, 02:10 AM
To be honest, I'm extremely disappointed with the entire design concept behind the new Generation of Pokemon. Main reason being, they don't even look like animals anymore. I mean, we literally still have heaps of animals in the world they haven't touched upon and yet, we get given Pokemon that really don't seem animal like.

If this Generation had at least a few Pokemon that I liked I'd be looking forward to it more, but outside of the new graphics COMPLETELY different region, and an age update to the trainers. I just really don't like the game for the simple aspect these Pokemon don't look like Pokemon to me.

Lol, Hoenn had better looking Pokemon in my opinion. xD

Galdr
01-13-2011, 06:54 AM
In my opinion, I really think it's both.
Some fans from 1995/1998 who have been here since Red/Blue released are about 20-24 years old by now, and maybe feel they've outgrown Pokemon. Adding to the fact that B&W Pokemon are weird and, as it was said before, not living up to our needy expectations.

Of course, if you see the similar connection, Gen I and Gen V have their own set of 150/156 Pokemon that are exclusive to their own region and not connected, or related, to any other region or the other region's Pokemon.

Johto basically continues Kanto, having pre-evolutions to older Pokemon and new evolutions. Hoenn, has its own set, but Wynaut and Azurill connect to Johto evolutions. Sinnoh had its own set, however they had newer evolutions to previous other Pokemon as well.

So really, Isshu/Unova deserves a chance. The other regions got a chance, and they were well received after gameplay so why not this one? You know, it's wrong to judge a book by its cover, especially without reading into the entire book and looking at its contents~!

I believe we older fans should give B&W a try first. n_n That's my opinion to this~

rasta_rude_boy420
01-13-2011, 09:04 AM
I agree with a lot of these posts, but I'd like to believe they intentially didn't release all "amazing" pokemon at one time. In the real world, you aren't going to love every animal you meet, and I think they are hitting upon that aspect of life. In every generation theres been pokemon I disliked, but they all eventually grow on me the more I've played and wanted more variation..

I also agree with the fact that this is a new region, hence a new "world".

Teddiursa of the Sky
01-13-2011, 02:07 PM
You can look at the list of the new Pokemon and tell that they basically took older Pokemon and "improved" upon them. I do dislike many of the new Pokemon, but as I said in a previous thread, I do enjoy some of the newer ones. I would not go as far as to say it is the strongest release since Johto until the numbers have been released pertaining to the popularity of the series and game, and when we hear reviews about the new Pokemon from people on the Internetz.

It is too early to tell, and we have about 2 months until we can get the English version. I am going to say that I did have big expectations because I look at Sinnoh as a small addition to the Pokemon franchise. So, they have had plenty of time, in my opinion, to come up with some, slightly, more amazing Pokemon.

I do not want to seem I am angry or disappointed with the new Pokemon, as I am not... with some of them. All I am saying is, yes they are running out of ideas, as it is my opinion, no one has a basis for an argument. It is plain to see that, yes, some of them if not most of them are based off of older Pokemon. Is that bad? Sort of, but not entirely.

Synester
01-13-2011, 02:33 PM
http://images.wikia.com/pokemon/images/3/3c/dasutodasu.png

they're running out of ideas.kill it with fire!

camds
01-13-2011, 03:02 PM
they don't even look like animals anymore. I mean, we literally still have heaps of animals in the world they haven't touched upon and yet, we get given Pokemon that really don't seem animal like.

This was another point raised by me and my friends, the fact that most
original pokemon started out being based on Animals in real life with cute
tweaks or intresting attacks, not all of them were of course, some of them
were based on other real life things but the theme still was apparent.
Yet the new pokemon seem to become more and more abstract, im not
complaining of course but I find that the Generation 5 pokemon that I like
the most are the ones that arnt so over complicated and ugly.

Arch Enemy
01-14-2011, 04:24 AM
Well y'know, Pokémon apparently stands for Pocket Monsters. They aren't really supposed to look like animals... They're supposed to look more like monsters than animals. And, some of the new Pokémon still kinda do look like animals, Aianto and Denchura for example, one of them looks like an ant, and the other one looks like a spider. d:

Most of us, who have been a Pokémon fan for a long time, just don't like the newer ones, probably because we've been growing up with the older ones (which looks more like animals) and expect every new Pokémon to have the same kind of style or look like animals.

So, yeah, we're just getting older. We may not like it, but the younger people (or the newer Pokémon fans) may. xD

Teddiursa of the Sky
01-14-2011, 07:32 PM
To be honest. I embrace change when it is introduced in the right quantities and is presented in the right ways. However, recent additions to what I like to call, the PokeArsenal, have been the Pokemon equivalent to a LAW. Look powerful, decent in certain situations, but break after the first use.

What do I mean to say? None of the new Pokemon really look stable. They just do not look like... Pokemon anymore. Believe me when I say, Sinnoh Pokemon were quite awesome, and those were introduced quite recently (3-4 years ago). These new ones, they are new, yes but I think it is unfair to say I dislike them just because they are. Face it, these new ones do look strange, but that is not the major reason I dislike them. It is just the fact that most of them seem like I have seen them before. They took old ones and, as I said before, "improved" upon them.

camds
01-14-2011, 08:20 PM
What do I mean to say? None of the new Pokemon really look stable. They just do not look like... Pokemon anymore. Believe me when I say, Sinnoh Pokemon were quite awesome,

This to the max.

Professor Geoffrey
01-15-2011, 05:10 PM
I just think a lot more people are growing out of Pokémon, cannot embrace the new nor intend to see what they originally loved and grew up with expand or change. I have been a loyal, dedicated fan for more than twelve years, and not once has my loyalty wavered. I had to grin and bear it through Hoenn, but I saw the light again once we got to Sinnoh. Now, at Unova, I think we are going back to Pokémon's roots. Believe it or not, Pokémon took a noble and worthy risk of creating a generation filled with brand-new Pokémon, not just a handful of new ones and then a bunch of pre-evolutions and evolutions. And I am afraid I do not understand what people say when they say that the new Pokémon "don't look like Pokémon." They are. Each generaton has a specific style. Kanto was just simplicity. Johto took said simplicity and made it better. Hoenn took a risk and failed with its "advanced" style. Sinnoh improved off of that a little. Unova combined the simplicity and the advanced to form something new. And I love it. ;D

~Professor Geoffrey

Eun Min
01-15-2011, 10:00 PM
To me, Pokemon is getting worse, and only a small factor counts on the fact that we're getting older (for me that that is). Epecially starting from the B&W series. Most of them don't even look like pokemon. I think they're running out of ideas.
Sinnoh, Hoenn, Johto, Kanto they're all exceptional-normal-looking pokemon at least.
Most of the Pokemon I've seen from B&W so far, aren't fitting in my standards of "normal-looking" pokemon.
On the other hand, I'm thinking that younger kids may enjoy these new Pokemon as they aren't comparing Unova to the older pokemon (especially for the anime) - yet! =P

Factoring what Professor Geoffrey said, I guess they are trying to create "new-original-looking" pokemon. And I guess I've got to give them credit for that! ^^

Etymology
01-15-2011, 10:37 PM
they don't even look like animals anymore.

Grimer, Magnemite, Voltorb, Porygon, Geodude, Beldum, and many more want a word with you.

I think the problem is that we have no set criteria for what makes a Pokemon, a Pokemon. I still see most of the newer Pokemon as incredibly original. Really, when you compare something like Vanipeti (the ice cream) to Voltorb, you can't say that the latter is more original. Equal, maybe, but not more original.

killanotha1
01-16-2011, 07:14 AM
I kind of hate whenever this question is brought up, not because it causes you to think about why you dislike the new games, but because few people actually think about why they dislike the new games.

"The new pokemon don't look like animals/ all suck / are so unoriginal!1!"

They don't look like animals? What animal do you think of when you see voltorb? Jynx? Onix? Geodude? Porygon? The list continues.

They all suck? I hate pikachu. I hate pikachu with a fiery passion that rivals the heat of the suns core. But I understand that this is my opinion, and it isn't a valid reason for disliking a whole new slew of pokemon. Heck, I played that monster racing game (the one for the DS?) and I enjoyed it! I didn't particularly like any of the monsters involved.

And the originality thing is just dumb. "Too many dogs/ cats / frogs" Wow, so in your world you have one dog called "dog"? Pretty sweet.

But enough about that, I'll answer the actual question. :oops:

We are just getting older. And franchises change, because franchises are business geared and who wants to keep the same target audience for 10 years with the obvious threat of them leaving? Sure we are still here, but if I play pokemon around any of my friends who don't also play it the first thing I hear is "Uh . . . Aren't you a bit too old for pokemon?" Which is why Nintendo isn't going to make a "Create a pokemon contest" for people who have been with it for years. They're not going to ask players of r/b/y to send in their opinions on what direction pokemon should be going in. You're going to get a bunch of adults trying to find things that might look cool / cute /awesome to a 9 / 10 / 11 year old.

justinarose
01-18-2011, 10:18 PM
Frankly, there's no point getting depressed about our ages, obviously the games aren't JUST aimed at 10 year olds. SHow me a 10 year old who understands EV training, IV's, the complexities of breeding... etc... When I started out I just caught stuff and leveled it up. No way I could beat other people, just pass the E4. I think there is definatley a primary audience, but the designers are adults too, and they know that a lot of older people appreciate it, thats why they've built so many little details into it.

Gen V looks pretty sweet, and like all generations, I think that there are definately some weak-looking weird pokemon, even some of the legendaries... but there's tonnes of cool-looking ones too. We can't overlook all the awesome ones for the sake of a few crappy ones.

Teddiursa of the Sky
01-19-2011, 07:07 PM
I kind of hate whenever this question is brought up, not because it causes you to think about why you dislike the new games, but because few people actually think about why they dislike the new games.

"The new pokemon don't look like animals/ all suck / are so unoriginal!1!"

They don't look like animals? What animal do you think of when you see voltorb? Jynx? Onix? Geodude? Porygon? The list continues.

They all suck? I hate pikachu. I hate pikachu with a fiery passion that rivals the heat of the suns core. But I understand that this is my opinion, and it isn't a valid reason for disliking a whole new slew of pokemon. Heck, I played that monster racing game (the one for the DS?) and I enjoyed it! I didn't particularly like any of the monsters involved.

And the originality thing is just dumb. "Too many dogs/ cats / frogs" Wow, so in your world you have one dog called "dog"? Pretty sweet.

But enough about that, I'll answer the actual question. :oops:

We are just getting older. And franchises change, because franchises are business geared and who wants to keep the same target audience for 10 years with the obvious threat of them leaving? Sure we are still here, but if I play pokemon around any of my friends who don't also play it the first thing I hear is "Uh . . . Aren't you a bit too old for pokemon?" Which is why Nintendo isn't going to make a "Create a pokemon contest" for people who have been with it for years. They're not going to ask players of r/b/y to send in their opinions on what direction pokemon should be going in. You're going to get a bunch of adults trying to find things that might look cool / cute /awesome to a 9 / 10 / 11 year old.

The new Pokemon game is geared for an older audience you know. And, as justinarose put it quite nicely, Pokemon is created by adults. Honestly, Pokemon isn't as big with the young kids now days as it was when we were young kids, so I think they are starting to realize that they should cater to slightly older audiences. If you notice, they are making everything seem to be older. The characters in all previous Pokemon games started out at the age of ten, but the new ones are fourteen.

Quiet Camerupt
01-20-2011, 12:20 AM
I don't really think its either us getting to old or the designs getting worse. Every generation has always hard those "cool" kind of pokemon as well as rather quirky ones. Even with the first generation, I doubt anyone actually likes all 151 original designs (I've always hated pikachu). Generation V has the same ideal, just perhaps a bit more quirky...(I do admit the ice cream cone thing is kind of ridiculous...)

On a side note, Roobushin is my favourite.

Kenny
01-27-2011, 05:31 AM
They are running out of ideas. This is the 3rd region in a row where we have a Fire/Fighting starter.

And they made way too many Dragons in this game. Dragons are supposed to be exclusive, but now there are too many of them, dammit.

buckbear
01-28-2011, 04:39 AM
The new Pokemon game is geared for an older audience you know. And, as justinarose put it quite nicely, Pokemon is created by adults. Honestly, Pokemon isn't as big with the young kids now days as it was when we were young kids, so I think they are starting to realize that they should cater to slightly older audiences. If you notice, they are making everything seem to be older. The characters in all previous Pokemon games started out at the age of ten, but the new ones are fourteen.
The anime, in a nutshell, is getting worse. Not only is it becoming repetitive, but main characters are becoming disposable (Misty's been replaced with the female mascot of the generation and rumor has it Brock is being replaced in the 5th generation's anime)

smallz2011
01-28-2011, 05:17 AM
They are running out of ideas. This is the 3rd region in a row where we have a Fire/Fighting starter.

And they made way too many Dragons in this game. Dragons are supposed to be exclusive, but now there are too many of them, dammit.

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere on an official Pokemon site in an interview where the question was raised that some of the new Pokemon look very similar to the older ones (ie. Magnemite and Clink). The answer to the question was that since this is a new region, there are new Pokemon, but they wanted to show more of an evolutionary type aspect to it. Not like Pokemon evolution like Charmander->Charmeleon->Charizard, but like Darwin's evolution. The area is different so the Pokemon that live there adapted differently. That's why the new buffalo Pokemon is not an evolution of Tauros. The idea is that they started out being the same, but adapted to their environment differently.

Look back at the other generations: Starly = Pidgey, Ralts = Abra, Wurmple = Weedle/Caterpie, do they not? Throughout the series that have had Pokemon that are similar to older ones. This one actually has some pretty nicely designed Pokemon, but at the same time it has some crappy ones. Even Pokemon in Generation I were similar, Jigglypuff and Clefairy, two pink blobs, nothing really special, just... blobs.

Maybe they did some research and realized that the buyers of their games like Dragons, so they made more? They are a company afterall, so marketing is important to them. What if they put out a game where all the Pokemon were just colored blobs? No one would buy it because it would suck. Appreciate the work they put into the new Pokemon, or don't buy the game.

Lohuydahutt
01-28-2011, 03:04 PM
In defence of first generation AND 5th generation. Wait no, I can only defend 5th generation because the only thing I can say in defence of voltorb and grimer is that I personally like them. In defence of 5th generation they made this guy
http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20101129221018/pokemon/images/1/17/Leopardas.png (http://pokemon.wikia.com/index.php?title=Liepard&image=Leopardas-png)
the greatest cat pokemon yet in my opinion (meowth in a close second.) And the ice cream pokemon. Not my style but it is an attractor to people who like cute pokemon. My least favorite is probably the pony legendary. They did not make the greatest legendaries. The main two legendaries the legendary trio the robot bug are the only good ones. Victini is LIKEABLE but doesn't look legendary enough. Same with Meloetta. And in reply to some one saying that onix isn't based on an animal. YES IT IS it is a rock snake. A giant uber over sized rock snake.

Teddiursa of the Sky
01-30-2011, 06:43 PM
I'm pretty sure I read somewhere on an official Pokemon site in an interview where the question was raised that some of the new Pokemon look very similar to the older ones (ie. Magnemite and Clink). The answer to the question was that since this is a new region, there are new Pokemon, but they wanted to show more of an evolutionary type aspect to it. Not like Pokemon evolution like Charmander->Charmeleon->Charizard, but like Darwin's evolution. The area is different so the Pokemon that live there adapted differently. That's why the new buffalo Pokemon is not an evolution of Tauros. The idea is that they started out being the same, but adapted to their environment differently.

Look back at the other generations: Starly = Pidgey, Ralts = Abra, Wurmple = Weedle/Caterpie, do they not? Throughout the series that have had Pokemon that are similar to older ones. This one actually has some pretty nicely designed Pokemon, but at the same time it has some crappy ones. Even Pokemon in Generation I were similar, Jigglypuff and Clefairy, two pink blobs, nothing really special, just... blobs.

Maybe they did some research and realized that the buyers of their games like Dragons, so they made more? They are a company afterall, so marketing is important to them. What if they put out a game where all the Pokemon were just colored blobs? No one would buy it because it would suck. Appreciate the work they put into the new Pokemon, or don't buy the game.

Yes, well, it definitely seems like they are evolving to an older fanbase as well, considering they aren't trying to impressing more younger children, but yet more teen-aged children.

Also, people love legendaries, so I guess they should just release a ton of legendaries next, neh?

Zeraylph
02-03-2011, 02:51 PM
Yeah, after looking around about more info on P B/W

I'm not gonna get it. I'm gonna stick with what ol poke games I have now.

Plus the animated sprites annoy me, I don't know why. I just prefer static ones.

Blitzkrieg
02-03-2011, 08:11 PM
It's getting much worse, considering the design and English names of the fifth generation Pokemon. The gimmicks are also getting more and more prevalent.

Mr420
02-03-2011, 08:19 PM
In defence of first generation AND 5th generation. Wait no, I can only defend 5th generation because the only thing I can say in defence of voltorb and grimer is that I personally like them. In defence of 5th generation they made this guy
http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20101129221018/pokemon/images/1/17/Leopardas.png (http://pokemon.wikia.com/index.php?title=Liepard&image=Leopardas-png)
the greatest cat pokemon yet in my opinion (meowth in a close second.) And the ice cream pokemon. Not my style but it is an attractor to people who like cute pokemon. My least favorite is probably the pony legendary. They did not make the greatest legendaries. The main two legendaries the legendary trio the robot bug are the only good ones. Victini is LIKEABLE but doesn't look legendary enough. Same with Meloetta. And in reply to some one saying that onix isn't based on an animal. YES IT IS it is a rock snake. A giant uber over sized rock snake.

same could be said for MEW but he's banned..
and the pony Legend you speak of.. Virizion ?

It's getting much worse, considering the design and English names of the fifth generation Pokemon. The gimmicks are also getting more and more prevalent.

...examples... names ok i'll give you that one

Blitzkrieg
02-03-2011, 08:55 PM
http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/0/0c/Spr_5b_501.pnghttp://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/c/c5/Spr_5b_516.pnghttp://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/0/08/Spr_5b_531.pnghttp://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/9/9b/Spr_5b_545.pnghttp://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/6/6d/Spr_5b_549.pnghttp://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/c/c8/Spr_5b_560.pnghttp://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/3/39/Spr_5b_561.pnghttp://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/c/c4/Spr_5b_569.pnghttp://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/3/3a/Spr_5b_606.pnghttp://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/e/e6/Spr_5b_576.pnghttp://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/0/0c/Spr_5b_620.pnghttp://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/4/42/621.pnghttp://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/f/f2/Spr_5b_647.png

As for gimmicks, the contests, triathlons, dress-up games, and singing contests are some examples. It's become more of a casual ___ Mama game than Pokemon.

Tsujin
02-03-2011, 10:06 PM
As for gimmicks, the contests, triathlons, dress-up games, and singing contests are some examples. It's become more of a casual ___ Mama game than Pokemon.

What about the gimmicks? The gimmicks are awesome.

You're saying the gimmicks are bad as if they take away from the game. They story-line and gameplay was amazing. The gimmicks give you something to do after the game has been completed. Such as the Pokeathlon is HG/SS. I personally loved it. It gave me something to do when I didn't feel like running through the Battle Frontier. I've never liked contests much since they were implemented in the 3rd Gen. but I've never complained about them seeing as I figured somebody out there liked them. It also gives you something stupid to do when you play locally with friends besides battling. Also the majority of those Pokemon that you posted that have "poor designs" are awesome. I don't know why every is complaining about the new pokemon and then in a couple months nobody will notice them or complain anymore because they've gotten used to them.

Blitzkrieg
02-03-2011, 10:27 PM
I guess tastes are subjective. I'm personally in it only for battling, and to be the best at battling. I could care less about the girly contests and such. And I also think a majority of the Pokemon designs are abhorrent.

Tsujin
02-03-2011, 10:42 PM
I guess tastes are subjective. I'm personally in it only for battling, and to be the best at battling. I could care less about the girly contests and such. And I also think a majority of the Pokemon designs are abhorrent.

Yeah but if you're in it for only battling you're most likely wifi battling which it wouldn't matter whether the gimmicks are in it or not and the Battle Frontier is still present regardless. And personally I think that if you (not personally you but you in general) don't like the new pokemon and everything then what's the point of even getting the new game? You could just stick with the old game as some people are doing and just battle on that where the "girly" contests are less present.

Blitzkrieg
02-03-2011, 10:57 PM
Yeah but if you're in it for only battling you're most likely wifi battling which it wouldn't matter whether the gimmicks are in it or not and the Battle Frontier is still present regardless. And personally I think that if you (not personally you but you in general) don't like the new pokemon and everything then what's the point of even getting the new game? You could just stick with the old game as some people are doing and just battle on that where the "girly" contests are less present.

I bought the new game because of the new battling system I must master and the new Pokemon who would benefit my team further. Pokemon such as Landlos, Genesect, and Doryuzuu are perfect for my Sandstorm team I created.

hazzaboy
02-04-2011, 06:03 PM
i know we are probly just getting older and used to the older pokemon, but my friends are just talking about it on and on and i just dont wont to give in to the new pokemon yet i know i will eventally there just ugly not to be aoffensive to the people who like it but come on they just becoming uglyer and even the names are sounding very strange. but i guess its that people get older and they exspect better!

mayfan1000
02-04-2011, 06:51 PM
one thing i read about the creators of the game is when he are getting new ideas for Pokemon they take quite a few trips to the zoo i just took a look at all the new Pokemon in the 5th generation I could connect at least one of the stages of the evolution reminded me of something at the zoo and they look very original to me so i am getting it and I am loving the now designs.:happy:

Mr420
02-05-2011, 04:50 PM
one thing i read about the creators of the game is when he are getting new ideas for Pokemon they take quite a few trips to the zoo i just took a look at all the new Pokemon in the 5th generation I could connect at least one of the stages of the evolution reminded me of something at the zoo and they look very original to me so i am getting it and I am loving the now designs.:happy:

trust me you'll be glad you got it.. its worth every penny.

mayfan1000
02-05-2011, 05:00 PM
trust me you'll be glad you got it.. its worth every penny.

oh i don't need to worry about that i am glad to see every and all new Pokemon they create
and with people dissing voltorb ditto and jinx don't those might not look like animals but get them strong enough and you are in for a beating.:cool:

Mr420
02-05-2011, 06:02 PM
oh i don't need to worry about that i am glad to see every and all new Pokemon they create
and with people dissing voltorb ditto and jinx don't those might not look like animals but get them strong enough and you are in for a beating.:cool:

hows is this for a perk. Ditto in Gen V no longer waistes a turn using transform.. It now transforms by itself when tossed out.or so im told ..so your statement makes all sense

mayfan1000
02-05-2011, 06:22 PM
hows is this for a perk. Ditto in Gen V no longer waistes a turn using transform.. It now transforms by itself when tossed out.or so im told ..so your statement makes all sense

yes i LOVE gen. V!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cool:

winstein
02-26-2011, 01:59 PM
It would have been ridiculous that Pokemon got worse, since reviewers never expressed this. Anyway, it must be that I am not so demanding, so I didn't feel like I didn't get what I wanted. In that case, it's the second option.

Thanks for reading.

Master Zorua
02-26-2011, 02:56 PM
It's a mixed bag for me. A lot of my favorite Pokemon (Ninetales, Blaziken and the Eeveelutions) are all getting brand new, awesome abilities and some new moves that will make them more formidable, and some of the new Pokemon are alright. Some of the new Pokemon, however, make me want to vomit at how ugly they look, and the three on three battling is just a bit much. Not to mention that in PvP battles, you're allowed to see the opponent's full line-up, which pretty much kills some of the element of surprise.

Also, I was hoping for a few new Eeveelutions to come onto the scene. :(

Teddiursa of the Sky
02-26-2011, 11:47 PM

That's my opinion anyways.

=^^= Nya

WAIIAIAIIAIAIAIAIAIAIAIAIIIIIIIIIAIAIAIAIIITITIAIT IAITIATIIITTTTTT A FREAKING CRAPPING SECONDS! If our expectations have become "too" high from passed generations, which suggests that they were so good that they did raise our expectations, that suggests that the new ones are not as good as the original. Case in point, that is a zoom zoom in the boom boom.

Orange_Flaaffy
02-27-2011, 02:31 PM
If it was a matter of age I shouldn't have gotten into pokemon when it was brand new and I was fifteen. Waaay too much about pokemon fandom is linked to the idea that just because it stars a ten year old its target age for players is that age. Players of any age can play and love pokemon for the raw energy and zest for pokemon training\breeding\collecting that the trainers stand for. It's not so much as age issue as it is a state of mind...
Myself I've always been more of of a mix of Brock and Misty in my fandom for pokemon. Collecting pokemon and breeding more for its own sake than to impress. There is such a thing as a lighthearted older gamer of nearly 28 that could care less about detailed training and wifi battles, I'm one of them.
The fact is I am really looking forward to B\W, not as a replacement to G\S\C (my favorite gen) but as the next chapter storywise. If I turn out not to like it that much, like I did with the R\S\E days, there is always the freedom I have to just go back and play the other games in the meantime while I wait for the next game. My fandom is still burning even if I have far less people to share it with than I did in the beginning :).

Mr420
02-28-2011, 11:00 PM
If it was a matter of age I shouldn't have gotten into pokemon when it was brand new and I was fifteen. Waaay too much about pokemon fandom is linked to the idea that just because it stars a ten year old its target age for players is that age. Players of any age can play and love pokemon for the raw energy and zest for pokemon training\breeding\collecting that the trainers stand for. It's not so much as age issue as it is a state of mind...
Myself I've always been more of of a mix of Brock and Misty in my fandom for pokemon. Collecting pokemon and breeding more for its own sake than to impress. There is such a thing as a lighthearted older gamer of nearly 28 that could care less about detailed training and wifi battles, I'm one of them.
The fact is I am really looking forward to B\W, not as a replacement to G\S\C (my favorite gen) but as the next chapter storywise. If I turn out not to like it that much, like I did with the R\S\E days, there is always the freedom I have to just go back and play the other games in the meantime while I wait for the next game. My fandom is still burning even if I have far less people to share it with than I did in the beginning :).

well said...
I also realized, i failed to say that in my previous post about Ditto it has to be a Ditto caught in Dream World with the eccentric ability not just a regular Ditto you catch or bring from Gen IV.. oppsy doopsy

Tsujin
03-01-2011, 12:38 AM
WAIIAIAIIAIAIAIAIAIAIAIAIIIIIIIIIAIAIAIAIIITITIAIT IAITIATIIITTTTTT A FREAKING CRAPPING SECONDS! If our expectations have become "too" high from passed generations, which suggests that they were so good that they did raise our expectations, that suggests that the new ones are not as good as the original. Case in point, that is a zoom zoom in the boom boom.

No it means that were expecting them to be better than all the other Generations and the minute someone sees one they think is bad they're all like uhp new pokemonz is crap.

RaaZeey
03-21-2012, 11:46 PM
i honestly think season 1,2(favorite), were awesome I like the starters for season 3 they were really good but not a fan of most of the other besides maybe aggron, flygon and sally. I loved season 4 only thing i didnt like about 4 was what they did to magmar :( he was one of my favorites. it was definatly an upgrade from 3 and I really dislike 5 starters are very unoriginal as are most of the other pokemon.

My favorite top 3 of each season
1.Scyther
2.Magmar
3.Hitmonlee

1. Feraligatr
2. Scizor
3.Ampharos

1.Aggron
2.Swampert
3.Seviper

1.Drapion
2.Luxray
3.Froslass / Glaceon

b&w none lol

goldwynaut
03-22-2012, 08:49 AM
no, i guess the kids like it, but its still reason to feel sorry for them, they will never experience having a kickass charizard or trying mew under the truck or missingno:sad:

Zan Sabrefang
03-25-2012, 01:07 AM
I haven't posted for a while, but I have been lurking.
Props to the OP for making me chuckle and feel ancient.

Are we just getting older?
The answer is, no.
Aesthetics (visual appeal/how pleasing something is to look at) is based on personal opinion.
You may hate Garbodor and love Tauros, but someone else may be the opposite.
The counter to "Wtf? A rubbish bag that's been ravaged by cats? Really..." would be "A bull with an extra tail. How scintilating </sarcasm>"

Are they running out of ideas?
It's possible, but I highly doubt it.
I could sit here and churn out idea after idea for an Ice Pokémon that isn't an ice cream.
Or visit Deviant Art for a whole universe of other people's ideas.
But someone designed this one and a lot of people liked it/thought it was cute and so it was added.
Graveller is a spherical rock with limbs... I don't see how a block of ice with a snow covered face is any different.

What do you think?
I think that until they start incorporating existing things into their midst (like the old Yoshi rumour), we have nothing to worry about.
People will always like/dislike different things to the next.
... I'm an old fart...

Swampert Guy
03-25-2012, 01:47 PM
No, Pokemon isn't getting worse and the fact we're getting older influences a bit.

All you need upon a new generation is launched is some time to get used with the new Pokemons, gyms, itens, places. My appreciation for Pokemons has lowered on animes, not on games.

People who follow the anime may get bored, but the ones that play the games will not, I think. :cool:

shellscriptcoder
04-06-2012, 03:23 PM
I am personally of a split mind about this. It's true that we could be simply blinded by nostalgia and unable to see the greatness of these new Pokemon. But I think I can tell what the problem is. It's not that we're outgrowing Pokemon itself, but we're leaving the target audience, which makes us feel like the games aren't quite for us to begin with. Think about it - you're forced to become a 10-year-old child before even starting the game, doesn't that sort of... not turn you off to the experience, but... take you out of it? Like, you feel like you're not becoming the main character anymore.

And the Pokemon mirror this idea perfectly. Say what you will, but Muk is way better than Garbodor. Why? Just look at their expressions. Muk is like, "Gwaar! I am a big pile of sludge! Don't touch me, because I may burn away your skin!" It perfectly exemplified how sludge would feel if it came alive - vile, disgusting, and acidic in more ways than one. Then look at Garbodor. It doesn't look particularly vicious (which is part of the danger aspect that I'll cover later). It's got an expression that can be summed up in two words: Herp derp. Come on, if your garbage, complete with slime, came to life, would you'd expect it to be a little frightening? Garbodor looks pretty apathetic, in my opinion. I mean, they're Pocket Monsters, after all! Not Pocket Pets!

And that smoothly brings me to the danger aspect. Here, I'll make a comparison to outside media, so you might need to be a bit cultured to get everything. First, think of Mewtwo. It may be small - it's about human size and weight - but it still has incredible power, and that's exemplified by the silently furious expression on its face. It's a perfect example of the fat that you don't need to be a giant dinosaur-like creature to be evil and frightening. You don't need to roar and scream, or be able to smash through walls with sheer brute force. Reshiram and Zekrom take this and throw it out the window. Granted, previous generations were victims of this, also. Groudon, Kyogre, and Rayquaza were bad. Dialga, Palkia, and Giratina were worse. I mean, bending time and space? Controlling an alternate dimension? That's a bit too much for me. There's nothing on earth, animal or otherwise, that is anything remotely like Dialga, Palkia, or Giratina. My point is that all Pokemon should be able to have a dangerous side, without having to be big and intimidating as well. Just think of Dragonite - it may be gentle, but it's very intelligent. If you get on its bad side, watch out - it's got a nasty Hyper Beam! And before you start screaming, "Slowbro!" or the like, let me remind you of a wonderful anime called Dragonball Z. Think, if you will, of the first form of Janemba. That guy wasn't remotely frightening, except when he walled Goku with his mass and then used his incredible powers to teleport and start conjuring balls and stuff. That's what Slowbro is like. It may seem cute and cuddly, but when it battles, you'd better watch out, or you'll be walled and destroyed with Psychic powers.

Next, Pokemon should be more animal-like. Now, I don't mean every Pokemon needs to be based on an animal of some sort. What I mean by this is that each and every Pokemon should be comparable to something on earth. Magnemite? A magnet. Diglett? A mole. Jynx? I don't want to say it, but you all know what we're thinking. Now, what the heck is Dialga? Some sort of... time-warping... colossal...levitating...bug thing? What's Metagross? A living cyborg... supercomputer... thing? Product of Pokemon and computers? My point is that the Pokemon may not be getting more complex or overdesigned in terms of graphics, but Gamefreak is ignoring the vast majority of the animal kingdom, along with many amazing things on this earth that would make wonderful Pokemon. How about an amoeba Pokemon? Perhaps a cloud Pokemon? What about an earthworm Pokemon?

Another problem is the lack of real new gameplay mechanics in Black and White. Now, what does this mean? Red and Blue - started it all. Created a worldwide phenomenon that lasts for decades. Gold and Silver - added the time system, as well as held items. Held items were obviously one of the most longstanding and important additions to the series. Ruby and Sapphire - added the EV cap, Choice Band, Natures, and Abilities. Abilities have since become a very important battle aspect. Pokemon Diamond and Pearl - gave each move its own type and added WiFi play. The physical/special damage split changed the way Pokemon was played hugely, and gave some Pokemon new tools, while reducing the danger of others. In one fell swoop, Gamefreak added a new level of balance, and made the games make much more sense to boot. Of course Bite is a physical attack. And that's not even mentioning Choice Specs and Scarf, which added a greater balance as well as new threats. Pokemon Black and White - um... Dream World? Too much work to set up, and you get maybe a new ability for your trouble? Some new berries? Wait, why can't you get those in-game again? Uh... TMs never go away? Oh, wait, that took away a level of strategy and the concept of saving important items for important Pokemon. That new mechanic just made it a much easier game, which really just shows even more the target audience for this game. Kids shouldn't have to work for things! Saving valuable things and waiting patiently for the right time to do something? Kids don't need to know that! I mean, it's not like it's a life skill or anything! Oh, wait, who's the target audience for this game again? Right... Gamefreak just cemented its target audience as every kid in the world. Great. Just great.

Also, Pokemon has been losing its mature audience. To all intents and purposes, Pokemon was a pretty deep game. Team Rocket wasn't just a bumbling group of manipulated weirdos, nor were they doing random things like thrying to control other dimensions. They were a group of real scientists, and they were literally taking over the region around you. You'd go into, say, Saffron City and find them patrolling the streets and blocking most of the doors. And they performed real experiments - they dabbled in cloning with Mewtwo, which raises the ethical question: Is cloning right? Is Mewtwo justified in its anger at being a clone? The most ethical question Black and White ask is whether Pokemon should be kept in Pokeballs. Big shocker - the game skims over the question with an, "Of course they should be, Billy. Now go catch that giant dragon thing so you can prevent Team Plasma from... what did they want? Rule the world with the help of a giant beast? Ah, nice and generic.

Finally, the portrayal of Pokemon in outside media. This problem is unique in that it started off bad at the beginning, but only got worse as time went on. Pokemon may have been a deep game, but the anime was determined to work against that with a more kid-like theme. It also seemed determined to ignore all gameplay aspects of the source material, which consequently made people worse battlers (go for the horn, Pikachu!). As time went on, it only got worse - Brock was taken out for a short stint, but returned when whoever made the anime decided that they should let the popular characters remain. Then he remained throughout the rest of the anime, slowly devolving into a comic relief character who somehow became an expert on all Pokemon without any research materials. Misty was tossed around a lot, the expert May was defeated by the amateur Dawn, and the show's new characters are determined to get Pokemon a spot on Nick Jr. And this isn't an isolated problem, either - I know many people who won't touch a Pokemon game because it looks babyish in the anime, and I can't say I blame them.

That all said, I don't completely hate Black and White. I like Volcarona and Chandelure, and the main characters are a bit older. But in addition to all the problems that I listed, the graphics in-battle are abysmal, not to mention the camera seems to be going insane when you don't make a move immediately. Also, the bridges were incredibly annoying to cross. And why was the game set in New York again? Last I checked, no one was complaining that the game was set in Japan. And there many minor things too, like the fact that Casteliacones were so hard to get yet so useless, and the fact that you have to cross through that one area of sand whenever you want to run through Route 4. All in all, I think Pokemon is geting worse, but then again, this could just be a senile rant. :oops:

brandon_g
04-06-2012, 06:43 PM
I think it's nethier... I just think that with today's day in advanced technelogy that Nintendo has too keep up with it or else they'll lose tons of money!

Zappo09
04-07-2012, 02:30 AM
I'm not sure if it's getting old or not.

WebMaster
04-07-2012, 06:18 AM
I think that since Pokemon audience is expanding to both old and new people, it's becoming much more difficult to cater to all of the fans. Taking an action one way might upset the other and vice versa.

brandon_g
04-07-2012, 02:19 PM
I think that since Pokemon audience is expanding to both old and new people, it's becoming much more difficult to cater to all of the fans. Taking an action one way might upset the other and vice versa.

Very Well said!

Machampion
04-07-2012, 02:21 PM
I will be honest, I think these new pokemon designs are too desperate making Pokemon look bad, At least the newer pokemon. I mean, A perfect example would be Durant! It's nothng more then a grey ant, Unlike ariados where it has designs and color, Something to give it personality. Durant is blank, gray and ugly. So yes, I do think its the fact it has gotten worse but its also the fact the some of us here have played since Pokemon first came out, I for one have been playing since Ash first woke up and realized he was late to get his starter from Professor Oak. So yes, For some of us, Being veterans of the game may be the cause of some of the boredom or negative inputs since we're so used to the same old thing.. You have the part where you rescue a group of people, then you get the 8 badges, fight the Elite Four and become a champion after beating your "rival".

Judgmental Arceus
04-07-2012, 05:46 PM
Personally I think that Pokemon has been actually getting progressively better and worse simultaneously. Sure you can mention about how we now think ice cream and giant robot ripoffs of the Iron Giant count as Pokemon, but on the flipside how did flying magnets, balls of gas, and malformed Poke Balls become Pokemon? Its not that we are really running out of ideas, its that now we are getting our ideas for more unusual, yet effective, places. Sure the Vanillite line was quite a stretch, but at least it was designed well and in detail. The same with Golurk and even the Litwick evolutionary line. They aren't simply a rip-off of Transformers and common lighting options; they are given some personality. For example, Golurk has a skirt that would resemble the skirts from Roman and Spartan armor. Litwick, Lampent, and Chandelure are all based on the Hitodama while being common lighting appliances. Now that because of Chandelure's existance I can see a reason why little kids would be afraid of their own dining room or afraid to be out on a dimly lit street. Heck even look at Escavalier. It's based on a jouster. What other companies that sell similar products have used jousting in their themes? I can't think of any. Now when we start basing pokemon on cars, clothing, and cigarettes; then we have run out of ideas.

Machampion
04-07-2012, 06:02 PM
Heck even look at Escavalier. It's based on a jouster. What other companies that sell similar products have used jousting in their themes?

Medieval Times! (http://www.medievaltimes.com/lyndhurst.aspx)
...just sayin

Tasteless
04-11-2012, 03:46 PM
Some of the new Pokemon are good and I like them, and some of them look silly, too abstract, weird, etc, to me. But it's been that way with every new generation release.

In fact one of my most hated Pokemon of all time still resides back in 3rd gen...

http://www.pokemonelite2000.com/pictures/sugimori/sugimori279.png

GOD WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOUR EYES? HOW CAN YOU EVEN SEE? I LIKED WINGULL AND YOU RUINED IT YOU HORRIBLE FAT BEAST.

Among 5th gen Pokemon that I really liked are the Ferrothorn line, Eelektross line, Scrafty line, Jellicent line, Cryogonal, Galvantula line, Chandelure line... Probably some more, can't think right now. Oh, I also like the legendary trio, Tornadus, Thundurus, Landorus.

I actually fell in love with more Pokemon in 5th gen than in 4th gen most likely. 4th gen was... okay. Except, I absolutely hate Lickilicky. It ruined Lickitung. Instead of looking like a plausible animal it is now a joke of a giant fat man with a bib and its tongue perpetually stuck through its tiny mouth like it's had a horrible allergic reaction. It's gone from being basically a cool reptile with a long sticky tongue to being a fat pathetic clown with hair ruffles like a cartoon baby. A giant fat gluttinous baby. It actually looks like, scaled down, it'd make a better PRE-EVO than an evo for Lickitung. Poor.. poor, Lickitung. I'd never want to evolve.

Among 5th gen Pokemon that I really disliked are Vanilluxe line, Musharna line (IT LOOKS LIKE A CREEPY FETUS WHEN ANIMATED), Alomomola (IT FONDLES ITSELF AND PULSATES DISGUSTINGLY WHEN ANIMATED)... Oh, and I didn't really appreciate Reshiram's weird crotch fur spike. I liked Reshiram and Zekrom much more than Dialga/Palkia though.

Part of it is that when a Pokemon is new you haven't fully accepted it as being "a Pokemon" yet and your mind is still more open to critique. When it stops being the new mon you just lump it in the giant pile of "things that are Pokemon" and don't think about it as much. Not all of the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gen designs are gems.

In fact gen 1 was one of the least creative. Magnemite evolves into.. Uh, just stick three of them together. Diglett evolves into.. Uh, just stick three of them together and draw on some angry faces. Seel evolves into... make it a bigger seal. Not that I don't like these Pokemon, but if a new gen came out and they started just gluing Pokemon together to make evolutions in the cut-and-paste fashion of Magneton (they didn't even change anything about the individual magnemites.. just put three near each other) then people would call that an uncreative design and boring and "oh they're running out of ideas." Imagine Diglett and Dugtrio coming out now if they hadn't in 1st gen. How lazy, we would say. They just stuck three of them together. Some of the names back in 1st gen were very non-creative too. So, Seel is a seal. We changed one letter and kept the same exact sound. What if Mightyena had come out and just been named.. uh, "Wulf." What if Drillbur was just named.. Mm.. "Moll." (Pronounce it "mole," the way that "poll" sounds the same as "pole") We'd have thought that wasn't very creative right? Buneary just named.. "Bunnee?" I mean it's close as it is, but not as close as "Seel" = "Seal." I mean I've even seen people misspell seal that way.

Voltorb? Turn it upside down and make it bigger. Tada- Electrode. I love all the 1st gen Pokemon (mostly) but I don't hold them up as the pinnacle of creative ideas. They were just all we had to go by on what a Pokemon should be, so there was no questioning.

I sort of like when some similar Pokemon come out too. Real life is like that. There isn't just one kind of "frog/toad" for example. There are many kinds and what they look like depends on where you go, what continent you're on. There's room for Poliwrath, Politoed, Toxicroak, and Seismitoad.. And still room for more really. They are different species of amphibians. There is more than one type of "cat" animal. Leopards, cheetahs, lions, servals, caracals, jaguars, tigers, lynxes, bobcats, and many more.. and plain old house cats, but a rainbow of breeds and some hybrids.

Persian, Liepard, Purugly, Delcatty.. All have a place. And it opens up interesting possibilities for fun theme teams. I'm a cat person irl and I'd make a whole team of cat-like Pokemon (maybe mix in some eevees even though they're foxes since there aren't 6 lines) just for fun.

I was about 9 when I first played Pokemon and I'm 21 now. I've definitely gotten older but I still like Pokemon at heart. I actually felt relatively good about 5th gen's release compared to some of the others.

Oh, and I freaking love Garbodor. He's so creepy. That face. Those eyes. He's gonna eat you.

I do miss Team Rocket just being gangsters instead of every new team-whatever needing to be like WE WILL TAKE OVER THE WORLD WITH MAGICAL POWERS. You know, guys.. Pokemon gangsters was good enough. Just.. just saying.

most duded
04-11-2012, 10:36 PM
Pokemon...Pokemon is better and worse. Part of it is because they all have the same plotline and its gotten kindof boring. The teams have gotten lamer and the difficulty has gone down. Victini, Zoroark, and many other 5th gen. pkmn are great. But Rayquaza, Nidoking, Lugia, they cant be replaced. And they are only 3 among many of the best original pkmn. And not only these, but the starters have gone down, to me, in quality.

Miasma
04-16-2012, 06:45 PM
I like to think that Pokémon is simply changing, and that can be translated as getting better or worse to different people.

Personally I don't like the more complex monster designs of the newer games for the most part, that being the leading reason for my refusal to play through a gen 3 game, shallow as that may be. I have to agree with some others in saying that the Pokémon who are nothing but inanimate objects turned into monsters are some of my least favorite designs of all time, and are far to prevalent in recent gen games.

I understand that it is challenging for the developers to continue to come up with so many new designs for each new generation of games, but I wish that they would keep to throwing in some old gen Pokémon into the new games here, and there, rather than totally wiping the board like they did in gen 3, and for the most part in gen 5 as well. They technically do that in gen 5, but not until the very end of the game.

The older generations had their weak points when it came to monster designs as well, but I prefer their more simple appearances to the more complex ones that we see today.

In short, I personally feel that the monster designs are getting worse in general, but that the games themselves are getting better with each new release.

Typhlosion Explosion
04-16-2012, 11:17 PM
I like some of the changes made. I like some of the new Pokemon, I like the plot, I like the story, I like the music, I like the battling, and I like the trading. Although, I also do not like some of the changes. Some Pokemon I don't like, some sprites I don't like, some characters I don't like... you get the point.

I feel that Pokemon is trying to reach younger gamers now, rather than older.
I feel this way because I'm 13 and I haven't ever played through Red Blue or Yellow fully. When I was younger, I'd get my dad or brother to get me through caves and such because it was too difficult for me. Now, the newer games are clean and clear and I can progress through them well. They are trying to make it less difficult some people don't get frustrated.

Some people don't like the new changes simply because the Pokemon. Well, we all have our own opinions. I tend to lean more towards cute and cool Pokemon, rather than power and stats. Others like the simplicity of the Pokemon designs of Generation I. Others dislike newer Pokemon games because they don't get that nostalgic feeling they hope for. Some want to feel nostalgic with Pokemon because they feel Red and Blue were the glory days. I understand that, because I totally loved Gold and Crystal, but I liked HeartGold much better because I could easily navigate through the game with little challenge. I'm just not one of those people who totally boycotts Pokemon because of the newer games. I mean, I don't want very simple Pokemon designs. I want cool, creative Pokemon! It takes a lot of time to think of Pokemon, and a lot of planning for the new ones. No, I don't totally agree with every design, but someone else does.

I just guess I like newer games better than the old ones. Some people totally disagree, and that's okay, because we all have our own opinions. What bothers me is when people say liking new or old Pokemon isn't okay because they are "lame" or "ugly". I've even heard "stupid". No, that's not okay. If you totally liked a Pokemon and were totally obsessed with it, say, Bulbasaur, and someone else told you that Bulbasaur was ugly stupid and weak. Well, how would you feel? You think that Bulbasaur is so cool smart and strong! You know how to harness Bulbasaur's true power! You know it's moves, evolutions, and all!

You may totally love Ditto or Magikarp. Well, in my opinion, I dislike Ditto and Magikarp because I feel they are ugly, and pointless. How would you feel?

See what I'm saying? We need to all have our own opinions and respect others. We value our opinions and we all have favorites, but does that give us the right to disrespect others valued opinions? I think not.

Neku Sakuraba
04-17-2012, 12:39 AM
Personally, I think it's a little bit of both. Pokemon has become a little worse, I must say...*COUGHCOUGH*ASHKETCHUM*COUGHCOUGH* Hmm? Oh, right. Plus, some of has are becoming older and outgrowing stuff like Pokemon. It's sad to say, really. Cause, I remember, when I was, like, 5, I would watch the original Pokemon series on Cartoon Network in the morning. But now, I can't really watch the new ones. Ash NEVER gets older, he never takes any of his stronger Pokemon (Which I kinda get), and he ALWAYS LOSES AT SOME POINT IN THE BEGINNING. *Added to Logic* I mean, 'cmon, if you think logically, his Pikachu would beat everything in the beginning. *Added to Logic*
http://www.court-records.net/rips/object-youngedgeworth.gif
*Connects both pieces of Logic*
If Ash loses at some point in the beginning...
...and has a strong Pikachu, why does he lose?
It's because of...
[His Pikachu downgraded a bit]
-->[He doesn't think straight]
[He's ignoring the battle]
http://www.court-records.net/rips/bubble-(ani)takethat.gif
He's not thinking straight. I mean, even if he doesn't know how the Gym Leader fights, he still has a relatively great chance of winning.

And thus, ends this post.

THE END.

Assaundrell Yumerai
04-17-2012, 02:19 AM
All I notice is that they must make a new generation per year. No matter how the Pokemon looks like.

Operative
04-17-2012, 04:54 AM

This is entirely true, and more people need to realize it.

But generally, old fans are just getting older. They're growing out of Pokemon while others grow into it. They still cherish originals because it was what they grew up with, their childhood. They stay clear of all that is new, and stay near of all that is known.