PDA

View Full Version : How to pick your starter?

ash_ketchup
03-06-2011, 09:25 PM
How did you pick your starter for black/white version? Did you pick it by looks? Or type? I need to think of which starter to get before I pick up my Black version today...so hard to pick.

Chris2K
03-06-2011, 09:34 PM
How did you pick your starter for black/white version? Did you pick it by looks? Or type? I need to think of which starter to get before I pick up my Black version today...so hard to pick.
I picked Tepig, but I always pick Fire to start because of the difficulty of getting a good Fire Pokémon until late in the game. Had I known about the monkeys I might have picked Water this time though.

Orange_Flaaffy
03-06-2011, 09:57 PM
I pick mostly by looks but even more so by the animal they most remind me of.
Water use to be the one I started with every time, but then I found it wasn't element so much as what the pokemon was that appealed to me.
I'm picking Tepig because pigs are one of my favorite animals, after not picking a fire starter in any of the generations before :3. It has always been water or grass...

Skylands
03-06-2011, 10:02 PM
I selected Oshawott in Black because I love its entire evolution line. I would have chosen Tepig in White, but I hate Tepig's evolutions. Therefore, I went with Snivy. Oh, and I base them on design.

Pokomum
03-06-2011, 10:46 PM
I usually go with fire but this time went with Oshawott for White (my main game). I like his evolutions and wanted to try out water for a change as they can be pretty powerful. I'm using Snivy in Black, only because I like his design. I have a spare Black and will use Tepig in that, as then then have all three starters, no other reason.

Zan Sabrefang
03-06-2011, 10:55 PM
I seem to have an affinity for the water Starters since Gen II.
Bulbasaur was always my favourite for Red/Blue/LeafGreen.
I chose Oshawott because I think Samurott is awesome so I suggest going for the starter who has the most appealing final evolution for you.

Judgmental Arceus
03-06-2011, 11:24 PM
When I get Black or White or whatever game I'm taking Tepig. In comparison to the majority of gyms in Isshu, Fire is the dominant type over them.

MaskedJackal
03-06-2011, 11:55 PM
I picked Oshawott. It's evolution line is more appealing to me than those of the others.

Pokemon_Ron
03-07-2011, 05:47 AM
I picked Tepig. I always start with the Fire starter with my first playthrough with a new pokemon game.

Arch Enemy
03-07-2011, 06:13 AM
I'm currently playing Pokémon Black (and doing other stuff too/multitasking). xD The starter I chose was Snivy. I picked it mainly because of its looks. To me, it looks very awesome!
If I ever restart the game, the starter I'm going to choose will be Tepig, because of its typing, and its also a cute looking Pokémon!

SereneSea1597
03-08-2011, 03:02 AM
Ever since I got my first pokemon game, I either went with a Water or Fire type starter. And i usually don't even have a good grass pokemon by the end of the game. So for the new one I decided to go with Snivy just to change it up a bit and experiment. I named him George ^-^

Phantasm.Angel
03-08-2011, 03:35 AM
Snivy is adorable and I liked his design better than the other starters. In addition, I'm a sucker for Grass-types, especially since they usually make the game harder.
I nicknamed him Charles because it's what someone at the mall tour suggested.

Rival Silver
03-08-2011, 04:06 AM
When(/if) I get Black, I'll be getting me a Tepig. He kinda reminds me of Charmander, where I didn't really care for basic or its first evolutin, but its final evolution looked beast. Next time its Oshawott, It seems to have a cool evolutionary line in appearance but I can't stand Oshawott itself.

Shadow From The Deep
03-08-2011, 04:36 AM
When I get Black I'll definitely be picking Snivy. He is just pure awesome. What else is there?

Hikari10
03-19-2011, 04:56 AM
I pick Oshawott because it's cute. No exceptions. (Black)

Tepig 'cos It's evolution movepool is diverse. (White)

NMG-Nathan
03-22-2011, 04:13 AM
Pick Oshawott because it's a water type, even though I wanted a fire type, tepig looked too lame. (Black)

Exceptions made at your discretion, lol.

Master Zorua
03-22-2011, 09:42 PM
I chose Oshawott because I haven't used a water type in a while, and for the first time ever, I was repulsed by the later evolutions of the fire type. I'll take Snivy when I get White.

Latio-Nytro
03-22-2011, 10:00 PM
I have Black. I chose Snivy...Mainly because my sister got Oshawott in her Black game.

If I get White, then I'll pick Tepig. Tepig and it's evo's are beast.

Speed-X
03-22-2011, 10:21 PM
No. For a while now, I planned to get Oshawott because of its Water type and nice Attack and Special Attack stats, its good HP, and just hwo well its stats balance out in general (erm, Samurott, I mean.)
Also that I've always preferred water type because they only have two weaknesses, but eh.

Anyways, I usually pick out the Pokemon based on its type, what its type will be when it evolves fully, and/or its stats at its final evolution. And their movepool diversity and power and whatnot. I feel like I'm on of the only ones here that does that that's posted here. xD;

The pokemaster
03-22-2011, 11:17 PM
I picked Snivy cause it looks cool and its final evo is so beast. ;)

3m0d0ll
03-23-2011, 01:22 AM
I decided to choose Snivy because 1- It looks the coolest, imo B) 2- It's FAST and I almost always choose the fastest starter (makes that very first battle against your rival when both your Mons are Lv. 5 MUCH easier) and 3- IT'S A GRASS TYPE WHICH I LOVE.

TsukiKaiki64
03-23-2011, 01:49 AM
In my Black game, I chose the coolest one, Oshawott. I tend to pick the fire starters, since they are usually cuter (I love the cute <3) Orignally, I was going to chose Tepig... but that was before I saw its evolutions and their typings.... I already have a kick-butt Fire/Fighting mon, thank you very much.
Plus, Dewott is my favorite Gen V starter evo. And one of my favorite Gen V Pokemon in general.

EDIT: Oh, I chose Snivy in White, since its name reminded me of Severus Snape from the Harry Potter (Snivy -> Snivellus -> Severus). So I choose him <3

Ant2011
03-23-2011, 01:51 AM
I picked Oshawott. Why? Because I don't do so well with any other type. This has been true for 3 generations now: I, IV, and V. II was Cyndaquil cuz I can't stand Toto or Chika, and III I was great at raising all 3, plust they looked really cool in their final forms (Except Sceptile. I can't stand Sceptile. Grovyle FTW!) But yeah, i pick by type first and foremost.

winstein
03-24-2011, 06:39 PM
At first I will only choose the Grass-starter no matter what. After that, when the starters were announced, I decided to go for Oshawott because he's the most hated. When the time comes for its release, I chose Snivy because he has good Defences and great Speed, which is a combination I like.

Thanks for reading.

Cucumber
03-31-2011, 06:15 PM
I always pick the Water starters so that is how I chose. I must say I was really disappointed with it in this game though :/.

Shen
04-01-2011, 09:01 AM
I picked Oshawott cause I am fond of otters IRL. Very cute and awesome. Plus, I have no clue why Oshawott was so hated, it looked adorable to me. I didn't even care about stats (training makes up for that ftw).

I will say I am very happy with my choice, though I will admit it was hard to choose between Snivy and Oshawott at first. Ah well ^^

Jack of Clovers
04-02-2011, 04:21 AM
The Anime told me to pick Oshawott.

http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/4208/cuteoshawott.png

~Jack~

Randor
04-02-2011, 04:31 AM
I'm surprised I didn't reply to this thread yet, I chose my starter merely based off the fact that I pick all if my starters to be the fire type, I also was a fan of tepigs evolutions :) so it worked itself out pretty well.

Crazed One
04-02-2011, 04:31 AM
I always choose grass, due to it being the greatest challenge. Also, the water thing looks like a bow-tie, and the other one isn't actually a pig when it evolves.

TheEvilDookie
04-02-2011, 04:33 AM
I also need help! HOW TO PICK?? HOW?

jk I chose Oshawott then my "rival" roommate chose Snivy. Dat bastard.

Zan Sabrefang
04-02-2011, 04:51 AM
I think it's good to pick something that reminds you of something else.
Starters really don't account for much when you can start breeding for your final team.
Unless you're like me and enjoy having starters.
But I went with Oshawott/Dewott/Samurott as I'm a big fan of Japanese history and the Samurai.

TRK4ever
04-02-2011, 08:53 AM
Snivy i picked as soon as I saw them. I dislike fire types if the name isn't Vulpix.

Im a water guy but the past two water starters have made me mad to start with.(Piplup family is so annoying.)

Chikorita is the only grass starter I will never use for anything other then Pokedex stats. Plus Snivy's moveset works wonders to wear down the elite 4.

Randor
04-02-2011, 12:45 PM
I always choose grass, due to it being the greatest challenge. Also, the water thing looks like a bow-tie, and the other one isn't actually a pig when it evolves.

Lol, I was thinking the same thing for when I saw Oshawott. It kind of looks like he's in a clown suit lol.