PDA

View Full Version : REFERENDUM: Signature Moves

paperfairy
03-18-2011, 09:00 AM
As of current, Signature Moves deal a set amount of damage when used. This damage is not impacted by critical hits, type effectiveness, STAB, or the like - they will always deal the same amount of damage.

There is talk in the staff board of changing this so that attacks possess a Base Power, like all other attacks. This means that they will be subject to STAB, critical hits, type effectiveness, and other modifiers, both positively and negatively.

This will also regulate the amount of Energy being used per attack - BP is used to calculate Energy used (as well as EXP), this eliminating the need for detailing the Energy cost for an attack.

The staff is divided on the issue: some feel Signature Moves should not be treated like other attacks, while some feel that they are, at the end of the day, simply glorified attacks, and need to be subject to the same rules as other attacks.

Because we are divided, we have chosen to bring this issue to a public vote, where the majority vote will decide the ruling. You are free to discuss and ask questions in this thread. During the period which this poll is open, I will personally be ignoring all Signature Move requests - I suspect other Officials will follow suit.

Happy voting!

Gokudera-Kun
03-18-2011, 09:22 AM
Signature moves should work like other attacks. They don't need any special treatment, and most of them usually have useful effect anyways. That's my opinion on the matter, anyways.

Master Zorua
03-18-2011, 07:22 PM
I think they should work like any other attack, at least for those that actually do damage.

Rival Silver
03-19-2011, 01:48 AM
Like ordinary attacks.

Even ordinary moves like Grass Knot come up to something base power wise :/. All they need to do is make the signature move based on certain things, such as weight to determine base power.

Saraibre Ryu
03-19-2011, 08:42 AM
Regular moves/Any other attack
It's easier to make sig moves by looking at already existing moves anyway, doesn't the ASB signature move approver peoples look at pre-sisting moves to make sure signature moves aren't too unoriginal anyway?

IceKyurem
03-19-2011, 09:56 AM
I think they should work like regular attacks.

pman
03-19-2011, 11:08 AM
I think they should work like regular attacks.
Despite the fact I've not been active in the ASB for quite a while, I've always disliked the way sig moves worked. It's the same as how slow the ASB was (though now fixed with these open ref battles).

Given that I look like coming back, I have to say, BP rules the day.

Fushigidane
03-19-2011, 11:30 PM
I prefer going by BP.

Team Pokemon
03-20-2011, 01:51 PM
I believe signature moves should be treated like regular attacks. If a signature move has too many benefits from STAB, critical hit ratio etc, then it can just be rejected. It's not like it will spread to all pokemon of the ASB and cause a massive problem. The dudes in charge of approving only have to see how the move works on the specific pokemon that is destined to use it. For example, a dark type attack with 80 bp and a high critical hit ratio on a super luck Absol should probably be rejected.
I hope I made myself clear.

Velocity
03-24-2011, 01:09 PM
Signature moves should have BP like everything else. There should be, like, a cap on BP relative to the move's usage gap and effects, but other than that they should work like other attacks.
I'm really curious to know who voted to have the set power...

paperfairy
03-24-2011, 07:15 PM
Signature moves should have BP like everything else. There should be, like, a cap on BP relative to the move's usage gap and effects, but other than that they should work like other attacks.
I'm really curious to know who voted to have the set power...
3m0 and I did - simply because we felt signature moves, to us, at least, simply function differently and shouldn't be treated the same. Also, this potentally allows for sig moves to be REALLY REALLY powerful - something we want to avoid.

Velocity
03-24-2011, 07:20 PM
3m0 and I did - simply because we felt signature moves, to us, at least, simply function differently and shouldn't be treated the same. Also, this potentally allows for sig moves to be REALLY REALLY powerful - something we want to avoid.

I see what you mean. Like I said, though, we could have BP caps based on evolution, effects, and whatnot. In the old ASBL that's what we but with set damage as caps, relative to evolutionary stage.

Plus, you guys approve the stuff anyway, so couldn't you mods just disapprove something that's too strong?

Lord Fedora
03-24-2011, 10:07 PM
Wait, we're allowed to vote? I thought since we already got our say on the Staff Board we just left this to the members. ;^^

paperfairy
03-25-2011, 02:30 PM
DOesn't matter either way, as we're in the vast minority! xD

Iridium
03-29-2011, 05:48 AM
As you guys can see, the poll is now closed. ASB members have decided that we'll go with Base Power for Signature Moves.

Changes will be made and announced soon. Thank You.