PDA

View Full Version : How can the PE2K Site better support Spriters?

Kaoru
03-22-2011, 08:40 AM
Hello. Harry aka HKim has asked me to post a thread here to see what spriters would like to see on the official website. We are welcome to any and all ideas. This post will be updated with ideas whenever they are posted.

-Speed-X's idea (http://www.pokemonelite2000.com/forum/showpost.php?p=3265660&postcount=4)
-Jessu's idea (http://www.pokemonelite2000.com/forum/showpost.php?p=3265504&postcount=3), Jessu's second idea (http://www.pokemonelite2000.com/forum/showpost.php?p=3265738&postcount=7)
-Agumonman's idea (http://www.pokemonelite2000.com/forum/showpost.php?p=3265862&postcount=8)

Speed-X
03-22-2011, 01:18 PM
Hello. Harry aka HKim has asked me to post a thread here to see what spriters would like to see on the official website. We are welcome to any and all ideas. This post will be updated with ideas whenever they are posted.
You really might want to be a little more specific, because you could be pretty much asking for anything by saying that. What exactly do you mean?

Jessu
03-22-2011, 01:47 PM
I would think to draw more attention to the current (if active anymore) sprite contest, like SotW. Or maybe interview one of the spriters about why they started spriting, their inspirations, etc.

Or maybe just draw more attention to the art board in general, because while I'm debating on making a return to it, I've noticed that it's not as active as I remember it anymore. You can't have an art board if there's little to no competition between artists and no one to offer comments or constructive criticism.

Speed-X
03-22-2011, 08:33 PM
Or maybe just draw more attention to the art board in general, because while I'm debating on making a return to it, I've noticed that it's not as active as I remember it anymore. You can't have an art board if there's little to no competition between artists and no one to offer comments or constructive criticism.
...This.

Yes, how about just instead of turning your focus towards these "spriters" (to be honest, I view no one as an actual "spriter," or else they would most likely be doing what they do for use in a video game / fan game...and god knows how THOSE would turn out, seeing the naiveness we've been getting so much of, lately. Pixel art is so much better of a term for it.), how about just towards the ENTIRE art field in general, hm?

Also, I personally believe that a lot of bandwagon users need to be "weeded out" a bit, perhaps by harsh crits, but that's just a forumwide thing. And most of the crits would most likely be ignored anyways, because of how selfish, naive, and COMPLETELY ignorant people tend to like to be.
But I digress.

Kaoru
03-22-2011, 09:34 PM
When I say any ideas, I mean any ideas. Just ask HKim if your still uncertain. So interviews, SotW.

HKim
03-22-2011, 10:03 PM
This is an open ended question because we're not entirely sure what Artists want, or at the very least, I don't.

So we're interested in any ideas you might have ranging from featuring contests to tutorials to whatever.

Do we have a complete Sprite list? What Sprites are we missing?

How can the site and the forum better help the Art community here?

Jessu
03-22-2011, 10:40 PM
I just thought of another thing.

I'm think that there should be a Mixed Media board. You know, that covers the other art mediums. I'm pretty sure that there are people on here that do more than just drawing, spriting, and making graphics. There's painting, sculpting, ceramics, pottery, etc., and music/singing counts as well. I know several people that have been dying to have a board (or sub-board) dedicated to the music/singing talents on here.

I'm not sure how popular the idea might be, but it doesn't hurt to try it out.

SinisterSages
03-23-2011, 02:24 AM
i'd like to see some coding added to seperate projects shops and galleries but not moving them to different boards. The ideal placment would be at the top where the default would be all to see everything on the board but you could click Shop, Gallery or project to just see that specific thing. Generally wwe would probably want some better quality artists so updated and advanced tutorials may be need such as a advanced shading technique by speed (always loved his sprites). Also some more creativity for the sprites shown but thats more of what a person does then a community, but it should be reinforced by maybe adding some on board contest like things that maybe pit some spriters against each other in different tiers. Also a larger spriting community and by that I don't meen many new spriters running around but it would be nice and helpful for the shops and such to have more and different people requesting.

This is just some quick speculation on what a few people may like others may hate it. Take it or leave it, and if something is mispelled I apologize its late and im not rereading that wall of text.
And while mods are here is there any chance i could get a name change this account was made a long time ago and id love to make a better name.

Alright i guess thats it, have fun with the site.

The pokemaster
03-23-2011, 03:49 AM
This is just a small thing and sorry if it's not what you mean, but would it be possible to get some trainer sprites for the games above D/P on the sprite resource? Cause I use the PE2k sprite resource for a lot of sprites, but I have to go elsewhere for most trainers.

Kaoru
03-23-2011, 04:13 AM
This is just a small thing and sorry if it's not what you mean, but would it be possible to get some trainer sprites for the games above D/P on the sprite resource? Cause I use the PE2k sprite resource for a lot of sprites, but I have to go elsewhere for most trainers.

What do you mean by "games above D/P?" Like HeartGold/SoulSilver and Black and White?

The pokemaster
03-23-2011, 06:40 AM
Sorry, yes, that's what I meant. There's no sprites up for HG/SS or B/W, just wanted to bring that up, sorry I wasn't more specific. :oops:

Kaoru
03-23-2011, 07:49 AM
Sorry, yes, that's what I meant. There's no sprites up for HG/SS or B/W, just wanted to bring that up, sorry I wasn't more specific. :oops:

We're working on that now, thanks to you. :) They should be up soon.

Disco
03-23-2011, 12:33 PM
To be honest, I think you guys are doing the best you can. o u o
But if we're going to nitpick, well...

It'd be nice if we got tutorials added to the main site, rather than then having it be limited to the forum. >:

I don't know, I suppose it would give us more attention? >:

SinisterSages
03-23-2011, 03:19 PM
maybe a seperate forum where users get one thread each where they can post their sprites they've got, then people could look at others and see what people have made for them or they made and the person in question might like said sprites and go off to request in a shop he/she may of not went to otherwise. Then that person would put what they got in theirs and the cycle continues. It mainly would be helpful for the person who made the thread because they could see all the sprites they requested. To make it work there could be no others posting on someone elses persons "gallery".

Team Razor
03-23-2011, 05:01 PM
It would help me a lot if you translated the japanese B/W names in te sprite resource to english.

Kenny_C.002
03-23-2011, 05:20 PM
It would help me a lot if you translated the japanese B/W names in te sprite resource to english.
We did that and/or are doing that.

If somebody wants to do SotW, that's fine. Just remember that it would eliminate SotM.

Speed-X
03-23-2011, 10:02 PM
i'd like to see some coding added to seperate projects shops and galleries but not moving them to different boards. The ideal placment would be at the top where the default would be all to see everything on the board but you could click Shop, Gallery or project to just see that specific thing. Generally wwe would probably want some better quality artists so updated and advanced tutorials may be need such as a advanced shading technique by speed (always loved his sprites). Also some more creativity for the sprites shown but thats more of what a person does then a community, but it should be reinforced by maybe adding some on board contest like things that maybe pit some spriters against each other in different tiers. Also a larger spriting community and by that I don't meen many new spriters running around but it would be nice and helpful for the shops and such to have more and different people requesting.

This is just some quick speculation on what a few people may like others may hate it. Take it or leave it, and if something is mispelled I apologize its late and im not rereading that wall of text.
And while mods are here is there any chance i could get a name change this account was made a long time ago and id love to make a better name.

Alright i guess thats it, have fun with the site.

Well, thanks. ^^; I'm a chick, though, but it's all good.
I do agree with you though. We need SOME way to seperate the GALLERIES from request "shops" and projects. =_=|||

I wouldn't mind helping with tutorials, but, y'know, it wouldn't be until this all be sorted out and whatnot.

And I don't think it's the size that we're concerned about, but the activity, diversity, and quality. I'm sorry, but ugh. I swear, a lot of the blobs of crap that I've been seeing lately (luckily there aren't that many that I've seen. Just in one or two threads.) are just worse than I would ever be able to imagine. So, yeah, tutorials. I guess it'd be nice if I could help with making them, or finding some...because trust me, I have found some amazing tutorials here and there. And I would be more than glad to share them.

And hopefully we can get someone more active to keep track of SotW. It's dead. And it shouldn't be. Honestly, I would enjoy helping with keeping track of SotW, but that's me.
And it'd be nice if SotW...themes could have a bit higher criteria than what they've had. Seriously, I get a bit tired of seeing such simple themes for each SotW, and such low-effort entries being submitted. We need to boost the difficulty level a little bit, or no one will improve.

HKim
03-25-2011, 12:29 AM
We want to put more art articles on the site, especially those that feature winners of art contests or simply feature good art every week. The real trouble is finding someone to do it.

We have creative people here and they deserve recognition.

Speed-X
03-25-2011, 02:56 PM
We want to put more art articles on the site, especially those that feature winners of art contests or simply feature good art every week. The real trouble is finding someone to do it.

We have creative people here and they deserve recognition.
Well, like I stated, since no one is keeping track of SotW currently, I would love to take over.^^;

Who's permission do I need to do so, though?

Etymology
03-25-2011, 09:00 PM
I'm going to be starting up WSC again, if I'm allowed?

Pokemon Trainer Sarah
03-25-2011, 11:42 PM
Well, like I stated, since no one is keeping track of SotW currently, I would love to take over.^^;

Who's permission do I need to do so, though?
If you wanna run SOTW you should go ahead =] I don't think you really need permission since it's dead right now, but you have my permission if anyone asks xD

Speed-X
03-26-2011, 01:12 AM
If you wanna run SOTW you should go ahead =] I don't think you really need permission since it's dead right now, but you have my permission if anyone asks xD
Are you sure? I mean, should I ask Tokyo about it, since she ran the last SotW? ^^;
(Although I guess I got that covered, since I already asked and am currently awaiting a reply. XD)

Just making sure. XD

Pokemon Trainer Sarah
03-26-2011, 01:26 AM
Are you sure? I mean, should I ask Tokyo about it, since she ran the last SotW? ^^;
(Although I guess I got that covered, since I already asked and am currently awaiting a reply. XD)

Just making sure. XD
xD I guess it's nice to ask. But it hasn't been updated in almost a month so I'm happy for you to take over =]

Speed-X
03-26-2011, 02:45 AM
Okay. Well...I suppose it has been quite a while, so I hope I'm doing Tokyo a favor. ^^;

I do have it posted up, though, if anyone is curious! I did kinda revamp it a little bit to encourage that people actually try to actually use their creativity and not just splice parts from other sprites onto theirs and whatnot. ^^;
http://www.pokemonelite2000.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112310

Frost Dragon
06-27-2011, 10:34 PM
Idea 1:I would like to see a download for a sheet of every sprite in B/W. that way, you would save time by simply looking at the sheet for useful things instead of clicking and pressing back and clicking something else...

Idea 2: add Background. I can not tell you how many times i've had to mess around in adobe photoshop (which most people I know, including me, have no idea how to use) to create a green background so as not to remove the outlines on a pokemon's sprite.

Etymology
06-27-2011, 10:37 PM
Idea 1:I would like to see a download for a sheet of every sprite in B/W. that way, you would save time by simply looking at the sheet for useful things instead of clicking and pressing back and clicking something else...

Idea 2: add Background. I can not tell you how many times i've had to mess around in adobe photoshop (which most people I know, including me, have no idea how to use) to create a green background so as not to remove the outlines on a pokemon's sprite.
@Idea2: To prevent stripping the outline, you can always print screen the sprite.

MoonKit
06-28-2011, 12:03 AM
@Idea2: To prevent stripping the outline, you can always print screen the sprite.

I can't tell you how annoying this is.

Anyway, I think everything is OK besides the outline thing.

Frost Dragon
06-28-2011, 04:34 PM
idea #3 translate the names of the Black/White pokemon into english. I can't tell what the pokemon are without the English names.

Frost Dragon
06-28-2011, 04:36 PM
Print screen is screwy on my computer, along with the computers that belong to most of my friends.

Kayla Ann
06-28-2011, 05:29 PM
I just thought of another thing.

I'm think that there should be a Mixed Media board. You know, that covers the other art mediums. I'm pretty sure that there are people on here that do more than just drawing, spriting, and making graphics. There's painting, sculpting, ceramics, pottery, etc., and music/singing counts as well. I know several people that have been dying to have a board (or sub-board) dedicated to the music/singing talents on here.

I'm not sure how popular the idea might be, but it doesn't hurt to try it out.

Sorry for quoting something that is months old, but I completely agree. We only have the basic arts covered, and we don't have any Musical Art sections.

I'm sure there are users here who have musical abilities, and want somewhere to post their pieces and get some genuine critique. Who knows, someone may see a Music thread, and get inspired to become a musician. xD

HKim
06-30-2011, 10:48 AM
I'm sure you already know this by now, but all of the PE2K BW Sprites have been updated to English names (Oh yeah! We're on top of things!)

Graceful_Suicune
07-02-2011, 12:44 PM
I'm sure you already know this by now, but all of the PE2K BW Sprites have been updated to English names (Oh yeah! We're on top of things!)

OH WAS THAT BECAUSE OF MY WONDERFUL ORGANISING? c:

Or not? xD

Anyway, that's really convenient now. :3

~GS.

Pokeboy sarab
07-03-2011, 10:32 AM
The only problem I see with the Sprite Board is the general lack of activity here. Not enough people make sprites. And not enough people critique and comment on the work of others. People only post when they have stuff of their own to show.
The only solution is finding a way of encouraging more work. But I really can't think of a way to do it.

XaiakuX
07-10-2011, 01:51 PM
The only problem I see with the Sprite Board is the general lack of activity here. Not enough people make sprites. And not enough people critique and comment on the work of others. People only post when they have stuff of their own to show.
The only solution is finding a way of encouraging more work. But I really can't think of a way to do it.

That's because there's barely any original fusion or recolor to keep us entertained, anymore. The only real excitement I get from spriting is the original scratched sprites that people make.

But here's what bothers me, yeah, it's a Pokemon Forum, I get that, yeah, there's only Pokemon sprites on the main page. But I don't know why people limit themselves to just Pokemon related spriting. I rarely see people hop out of their comfort zone to make something new, exciting and epic. That's what Pokemon spriting is here, it's a comfort zone that the general community is just down right too scared or unmotivated to leave. I mean there's hundreds of thousands of different pixel-y characters that people could generally work with. I'm just saying, maybe it'd be a good idea to expand the genre of sprites that people use. People should expand beyond Pokemon spriting, and try to broaden their efforts to create sprites outside of the ordinary that you see here on the forum and on the site. There's plenty of sites with other sprites that don't even request that you ask for permission to use their rips. I think that would better improve sprite art, if the Pokemon weren't the only sprites being made and edited.

IceKyurem
07-10-2011, 07:59 PM
Maybe, to encourage Constructive Criticism (CC), we could host a 'Best Critiquer' contest?

And about the 'Pokémon = Comfort Zone' thing, we could host OTHER sprite contests (ie: sprite contests for non-PKMN sprites)