PDA

View Full Version : Has your opinion of any BW Pokemon changed after playing?

Pokemon Trainer Sarah
03-23-2011, 11:18 PM
Was there a Pokemon you hated when you first saw it but now you like it or even raised one on your team?

Was there a Pokemon that you thought seemed awesome at first but turned out to be a disappointment in its stats/evolution/cuteness/annoyingness etc.? xD

I guess Snivy is kind of a disappointment for me. I still think it looks pretty cool but mine isn't that great in battle and doesn't seem to learn much variety of moves...

As for Pokemon I've grown to like, Sawsbuck has really won me over. I wasn't that impressed when I first saw it in those CoroCoro scans but it's pretty strong and even though I didn't intend to raise one, I kind of wanna keep it on my team!

How about you?

3m0d0ll
03-24-2011, 12:07 AM
HELL YEAH! I wouldn't have thought twice about raising a Beartic or dumping my Zebstrika, but I did and I luv my pocket monsters more than anything <3

TsukiKaiki64
03-24-2011, 12:49 AM
Leavanny. I caught a sniny one (first shiny ever) and had to raise it, you know? It had sentimental value to me. But know I am realizing how freaking strong it is. Decent speed and pretty cool attack, so she hits hard and fast. I really love her now <3

The moment the BW starters were announced, I despised Oshawott and perfered Tepig. Now, I am raising my Samurott to Level 100 and I have yet to gotten a Tepig on my White game. Oshwott is freaking adorable.

As for Pokemon that I loved at first, but now hate... Well, I loved Tepig. It's so cute and piggy.... but then it turned out to be another Fire/Fighting, so I quickly despised it, perfering my Infernape over the silly looking Emboar.

RocketMeowth
03-24-2011, 12:54 AM
Disappointment
Snivey. I love that thing like a beast but it's stats and attacks just aren't good. Plus once you beat Clay, she's pretty much useless... The other gyms can kick her tail and the E4 doesn't have much that she can take down easily. Though, really, can you take anyone in the E4 down easily first go? xD

Improvement
Sawk. You know, that blue dude with the unnatural clothing? How did he get those? I caught one and was like, "eh might as well" and I've never had a more powerful fighter. He owns ever dark type I come across, levels up quickly, and he's fast too! That and his defenses are pretty darn good.

<3 Sawk forever

=^^= Nya

Master Zorua
03-24-2011, 01:19 AM
At first, I was set on getting Snivy as my starter, but after a few episodes of BW and seeing Oshawott, I decided to take Oshawott as my starter and I love it. Also, Cinccino is proving to be a powerhouse. Having Technician Ability plus a Silk Scarf, her Tail Slap is practically wiping my enemies out in 1-2 turns! Musharna is another sure-stay on my team. Between Yawn, Moonlight, Calm Mind and Psychic, plus some very nice defensive stats, she's pretty much my Tank. Zoroark is a bit frailer than I'd like, but I love using her in battles. Still, it would have been nice if level wise she gained more special moves than physical considering her special attack stat is higher than her physical attack. Still, I also like using my opponent's strength against them with Foul Play.

Still though, they have quite a few butt-ugly Pokemon that I refuse to touch with a Pokeball. They also need to get rid of use of potions in battle on both sides (your own and gym leaders/elite 4/champ). Honestly, what kind of trainers are the Elite 4 if they have to start throwing potions around in their battles? You never see that in the anime, and it just feels like cheating. 3 on 3 seems a bit overkill, and the music is sub-par, though I do like the music change when your pokemon is in the red. Finally, I really dislike the fact that they no longer have your Pokemon following you around like in HG/SS. That would have made the experience more enjoyable.

Woodchuck
03-24-2011, 02:22 AM
I hated most of the designs when I first saw the sprites on Serebii. After actually playing the games, however, I grew to love almost all of them.

There were also a few Pokemon that I was initially excited to train, but later decided to box because they had mediocre stats. Liepard and Swoobat, for example. While I still like them in terms of their designs, I just can't bring myself to use them in battle. x3

3m0d0ll
03-24-2011, 02:39 AM
I hated most of the designs when I first saw the sprites on Serebii. After actually playing the games, however, I grew to love almost all of them.

There were also a few Pokemon that I was initially excited to train, but later decided to box because they had mediocre stats. Liepard and Swoobat, for example. While I still like them in terms of their designs, I just can't bring myself to use them in battle. x3

This.

The pokemaster
03-24-2011, 02:53 AM
Yeh, I'm pretty much the same as Woodchuck. A couple of pokes in particular though I've really warmed upto, when I hated them when I first saw them, being Musharna, Leavanny and Mienshao. I first saw them and I thought they were ick but I love 'em now.

Arch Enemy
03-24-2011, 02:56 AM
Sigilyph is a Pokémon I come to like. I caught 'em just to increase the number of caught Pokémon in my PokéDex at first, then, I eventually started using 'em in battles. xD Its Magic Guard ability, combined with Cosmic Power and a few recovery moves it learns makes 'em really annoying to the opponent!

Hm... As for disappointments, I have expected a little more from Snivy, the Pokémon I chose as my starter...but hey! At least it was good enough for most battles. Other than that, nope, I don't think I have anything else to be disappointed about! xD

Neo Emolga
03-24-2011, 02:59 AM
I would have to say B/W has left me pleasantly surprised in general. Yeah, there are some oddball Pokemon that take a little longer getting used to over others, but every generation has them. Even the silly ice cream cone one is okay in my book, and I have yet to find a B/W Pokemon that I hate even nearly as much as Jynx and Mr. Mime (who sill remain on my most loathed list). Until Game Freak makes a Pokemon based off of an anus or an internal organ overtaken by cancerous tumors, those two probably won't be moving from rock bottom anytime soon.

But the B/W Pokemon that has made the biggest jump in leaps and bounds on my favorite list of Pokemon is definitely Emolga. When I first saw him, I immediately thought "sigh, its another lame Pikachu knock-off like Pachirisu/Minun/Plusle" and I wasn't particularly crazy about those three either. However, when I saw him in action and got a chance to use him myself, everything rapidly changed. Save for his speed, while his stats are a little shabby and he's definitely not going to end up on an OU tier, I still find he's a really likable character with a lot of personality, and the Electric/Flying combination is both pretty useful and fun, and not too many non-legendary Pokemon have it. Plus the happy, optimistic grin he wears that says "Wheee, I can fly, baby!" is hard to resist. Seeing it on your own Emolga warms your heart, and when you have to faint someone else's Emolga, you feel like the lowest, most cruelest form of life. I do have to say, Pikachu is at a serious risk of being dethroned.

Charizard Michelle
03-24-2011, 03:01 AM
Munna and Zebstrika were both pokemon that I was surprise to find myself enjoying. Zebstrika was pretty cool with the idea that it could learn Flame Charge on it's own.

Munna was really cool with all the bulk and attack power it had. It sucked that I had to drop it in order to get a water type.

EDIT: I feel that we shouldn't be surprised when we see Neo in a few months with a new username that is Neo Emolga. haha

Altrius
03-24-2011, 09:12 AM
I would have to say B/W has left me pleasantly surprised in general. Yeah, there are some oddball Pokemon that take a little longer getting used to over others, but every generation has them. Even the silly ice cream cone one is okay in my book, and I have yet to find a B/W Pokemon that I hate even nearly as much as Jynx and Mr. Mime (who sill remain on my most loathed list). Until Game Freak makes a Pokemon based off of an anus or an internal organ overtaken by cancerous tumors, those two probably won't be moving from rock bottom anytime soon.

But the B/W Pokemon that has made the biggest jump in leaps and bounds on my favorite list of Pokemon is definitely Emolga. When I first saw him, I immediately thought "sigh, its another lame Pikachu knock-off like Pachirisu/Minun/Plusle" and I wasn't particularly crazy about those three either. However, when I saw him in action and got a chance to use him myself, everything rapidly changed. Save for his speed, while his stats are a little shabby and he's definitely not going to end up on an OU tier, I still find he's a really likable character with a lot of personality, and the Electric/Flying combination is both pretty useful and fun, and not too many non-legendary Pokemon have it. Plus the happy, optimistic grin he wears that says "Wheee, I can fly, baby!" is hard to resist. Seeing it on your own Emolga warms your heart, and when you have to faint someone else's Emolga, you feel like the lowest, most cruelest form of life. I do have to say, Pikachu is at a serious risk of being dethroned.

Im in serious shock here. Emolga could overtake Pikachus reign? o.O

On my side of the fence, I though Sandile would be a total pile of poo. Boy was I wrong. Not only does Krookodile look BADASS, but he KICKSASS too. Serious love for this pokemon right here so far. Another one that ive come to like after hating to begin with is Scraggy and Scrafty. I thought they both looked ridiculous, but after learning that they are indeed little balls of power, and the fact that thier animations are so damn cute. Scraggy is like "Help! I cant keep my trousers up" I acctually fell in love.

camds
03-24-2011, 04:55 PM
When I first saw the new pokemon back in the day, I wont lie, I hated them, they looked tacky and didnt feel like pokemon at all, I remember seeying Zorua for the first time and thinking to myself, this looks like its going to be the only good pokemon.
Turns out I stopped using Zorua after the 3rd gym, I loved the design but it just wasnt strong enough, however I still love it. I was unsure about what pokemon I was going to end up having because I just wanted a bulbasaur, and of course Reshiram was a pokemon I wanted but I would have to wait till basically, the end of the game to get it. Then I found Scraggy and everything changed. Scraggy was the cutest thing I had ever seen, and in my opinion, had that pokemon vibe, probably because it wasnt too overcomplicated.
I caught a scraggy and raised it up to a Scrafty and love it. I also have a drillbur and love that too.
This game has lots of lovely pokemon designs, you just have to look past the scruffy ones. I found the ones that wernt too complicated were the ones I enjoyed having on my team. Apart from Reshiram. I will always want that on my team.

Teddiursa of the Sky
03-24-2011, 09:40 PM
My view on it is totally unchanged. It is still just another Pokemon game with just enough additions to make it seem fresh and appealing.

Neo Emolga
03-25-2011, 02:57 AM
EDIT: I feel that we shouldn't be surprised when we see Neo in a few months with a new username that is Neo Emolga. haha

If we have another username change marathon, I might consider that. Pikachu will always be cool in my book, but this little dude has really grown on me.

You'll always still be able to call me Neo, of course.

Orange_Flaaffy
03-25-2011, 03:12 AM
Zebstrika which is odd as:
I love horses, I love any type of horse type pokemon, but it and it's starting form..just didn't strike me as zebra enough. Something about the muzzle I think, where it looked like they were trying too hard to turn it into a pokemon vs. letting a pokemon horse type be a pokemon horse ah la Ponyta and Rapidash...

Now I love it's Motor Drive..but I really still hate its face *sigh*

Phantasm.Angel
03-25-2011, 03:38 AM
Litwick and its evolutions.
I thought that they were just silly-looking ghost Pokemon in the style of Drifloon and Drifblim. But imagine my surprise when most every time I battle my friend during our playthrough, I get my butt handed to me by it.

Jack of Clovers
03-25-2011, 04:01 AM
Initial reaction: :eh:
Current reaction: :ermm:
Future reaction: :neutral:

Now: :classic:

At first, there were only pictures. Yea, some of them were odd and crazy concepts and even similar to Pokemon we already had. Now, with the game in hand, these Pokemon suddenly have character. Depth. The Pokedex tells me who they are and gives a reason for them to be a Pokemon. And because of this, I can accept them into the Pokemon Universe. Except that ice cream Pokemon. :oops:

~Jack~

Woodchuck
03-25-2011, 04:03 AM
Now: :classic:

At first, there were only pictures. Yea, some of them were odd and crazy concepts. Now, with the game in hand, these Pokemon suddenly have character. Depth. The Pokedex tells me who they are and give me a reason for them to be a Pokemon. And because of this, I can accept them into the Pokemon Universe. Except that ice cream Pokemon. :oops:

~Jack~

Yeah, the Pokedex definitely has a lot to do with me warming up to them as well. I read some of the entries and started thinking, "Oh yeah, that actually makes sense. That design doesn't seem so ludicrous now."

But yeah, Vanillite and its evolutions still look stupid as hell.

Tsujin
03-25-2011, 04:32 AM
Yeah, the Pokedex definitely has a lot to do with me warming up to them as well. I read some of the entries and started thinking, "Oh yeah, that actually makes sense. That design doesn't seem so ludicrous now."

But yeah, Vanillite and its evolutions still look stupid as hell.

Hey! I don't see why everyone has to bash on one of my favorite pokemon. I don't get how He looks so stupid even if he is just a simple little ice cream cone.

Orange_Flaaffy
03-25-2011, 04:33 AM
Vanillite is one of my favorite pokemon, I loved the idea before and I love it even better now :D

Woodchuck
03-25-2011, 04:49 AM
Hey! I don't see why everyone has to bash on one of my favorite pokemon. I don't get how He looks so stupid even if he is just a simple little ice cream cone.

Heh, sorry. I just have a hard time looking at the ridiculous facial expressions. That, and the idea of an ice cream cone Pokemon is a little odd. Granted, I suppose it's no more odd than a magnet Pokemon or a garbage bag Pokemon, it's just that I find the Vanillite family's designs to be a bit... poorly executed.

Tsujin
03-25-2011, 05:02 PM
Heh, sorry. I just have a hard time looking at the ridiculous facial expressions. That, and the idea of an ice cream cone Pokemon is a little odd. Granted, I suppose it's no more odd than a magnet Pokemon or a garbage bag Pokemon, it's just that I find the Vanillite family's designs to be a bit... poorly executed.

Yeah, I thought it was a little dumb at first too, but then I grew to really like it's facial expressions and googly eyes because it makes it more cartoony and pokemon like. xD Plus I tend to run Ice Type competitive teams so it's not like I could just ignore it. He was to become my Bro before he was created. LOL

Zan Sabrefang
03-26-2011, 06:07 AM
I have to say yes.
I was honestly in two minds about whether or not I even wanted to buy the games for this generation.
I'm 25 and when I saw some of the Pokemon initially I was seriously debating whether or not age had caught up with me and Pokémon was starting to lose it's charm.
But here we are, 3 weeks and 1 day after the UK release and I love it.
I think I actually like how much harder it has seemed than previous generations.
I like the Pokémon I initially thought were ridiculous (bar the Ice-Cream and Rubbish Bag lines).
All in all, despite this generation following pretty much the same story as all of it's older siblings, I have become smitten by Gen V.