PDA

View Full Version : Internet Grammar

Skylands
04-03-2011, 03:39 PM
Is correct grammar on the Internet important to you? Or could you care less about it and continue on with your textspeak?

For me, I think a person's grammar reflects on how intelligent they are. I very much dislike bad Internet grammar, though I tend to let people slip by with it, because I am more tolerant than others. However, I'm all for abbreviations and whatnot on the cell phone texting, since it saves time and it costs cheaper in certain cases if the message has less characters. And if English is your second language, then misspellings and grammar mistakes are acceptable, because each language has different grammar rules.

3m0d0ll
04-03-2011, 03:45 PM
No one said it better than Elbub:

http://i1023.photobucket.com/albums/af351/SonMiyuki_ArionnaHawklight/keyc6o.gif

Lusitania
04-03-2011, 04:00 PM
There's no need to be pedantic on the internet.

Randor
04-03-2011, 04:41 PM
For me it depends on what you are discussing, for example, If I were to post and discuss the topic "Humor & Jokes" I would most likely use some text abbreviations depending on the majority that do, But in serious topics and topics that need to be addressed appropriately grammar is important.

Rekhyt
04-03-2011, 05:06 PM

This is a pretty great point and y'all should heed it. There's a lot worse crimes someone can commit than forgetting to use capitals. So long as I can understand what's being typed, I don't have a problem.

Lan.exe
04-03-2011, 05:07 PM
Context, it's all context. If you're being serious, use serious grammar, other than that feel free to look less intelligent. :rolleyes:

Neo Emolga
04-03-2011, 05:25 PM
I honestly don't know when, how, and why typing and writing phrases out on the Internet with poor grammar and horrible spelling even got started. Speed is usually a lame argument for it, you can easily type fully clear and coherent sentences with just a fractional amount of additional effort, and it makes so much difference. To me, whenever someone types with horrible spelling and grammar, they're immediately looked down upon, never taken seriously, and most of the time, no one even bothers listening to them either.

Phantom Kat
04-03-2011, 05:57 PM
And if English is your second language, then misspellings and grammar mistakes are acceptable, because each language has different grammar rules.

They're acceptable but nonetheless you should try your best to use the best grammar and spelling you can because otherwise how can a person's grammar get better unless they're told what they're doing wrong?

With that said I always type with the best grammar and spelling I can, and with Spanish that means going onto Microsoft Word and typing it out to get those pesky accents and tildes in. I do it on forums, on Facebook, and Youtube (I don't text) no matter what the topic is. I want people to take me seriously and know that I'm an adult and not just some teenager surfing the internet. Also, when you always type with proper grammar and spelling it "doesn't take too long." It comes naturally.

Whenever I see a post with txt speak and no proper grammar I just gloss over it and ignore the person. I can't help it. Why should I bother with a person that is making themselves seem dumber becausue they're too lazy to type properly?

(And on Youtube I always have trouble reading Spanish txt speak because I've never seen it used. Took me a long while to realize "k" meant "que". That makes no sense! xD)

- Kat

3m0d0ll
04-03-2011, 06:11 PM
I agree with Neo, though I don't look DOWN on somebody, I just don't take what they're saying as seriously as I would've :S I even text/IM with perfect spelling and grammar, for Pete's sake! xD

Normally when I talk like a 12-year-old, I'm doing to to prove a point, make a joke, or just for effect; I always use improper punctuation and spellingz on purpose (unless I don't actually know how to spell the word!) ^__^

In all honesty, it's just easier. I type roughly 50 WPM (kinda slow, imo) and if i tlk like dis den wen i hve 2 rite sumthin 4 skool id have 2 go bak n fix all da erorz wich wood meen dat in da end im actualy goin slower x3

Fushigidane
04-03-2011, 06:20 PM
It really depends for me. On forums I try to write neatly, but on Meebo I just type without caps.

Jessu
04-03-2011, 06:29 PM
Well here I type with correct grammar and punctuation, unless I'm joking around. :P

But otherwise, if I'm in an IM with someone, I generally don't capitalize (I will capitalize "I" every so often though xD) anything I put down, but yeah.

In a text I still use the whole "capitalization and grammar" thing unless I'm pissed or just don't feel well.

Ridley
04-03-2011, 07:22 PM
Taking shortcuts is only worth it if you're on an instant messenger, typing in chat on a game, or joking around.

Even still, the only "shortcuts" I ever take during IM or a game are not capitalizing, and using shortened names for longer names, even though everyone uses the shorter names all the time anyway. (Ubercharge -> uber; Your Eternal Reward -> YER; Earthquake -> eq; wth/wtf/lolwut)

Master Zorua
04-04-2011, 02:47 AM
If you're texting on a cell phone, in a chat room or using an Instant messenger, it can be excused. However, it seems less and less people care much about proper grammar and spelling. I fear it's getting to the point where you might even find text talk and internet lingo used to fill out resumes and job applications. What's scarier is if someone actually hired a person who filled out their job application like that.

Generally, the only text lingo I use is brb, bbl, rp, su, ooc, ic, ds and maybe lol. There is little wrong with it in the correct usage. However, there have been a few roleplay ideas in the sign-up area that I would have probably joined were I not turned off by the horrible grammar used to describe it. Basically, if I have an easier time deciphering ancient Egyptian hieroglyphics than I do your rp idea, I'm going to pass it by.

Doodlebop
04-04-2011, 04:46 PM
I try to use correct grammar, spelling, and the like, and usually my mistakes are accidents. Of course, there's the occasional time when I do it to be funny... But yeah, usually I try to use correct grammar and spelling.

Meshi
04-04-2011, 04:56 PM
i dnt fink u ppl r bein fer i tlk lyk dis coz i ddnt go 2 skl ur all men.

Yeah, no. I used to speak like that on the Internet when I was around ... thirteen. This was until I met Tombi and started speaking to her, then I felt like a prick because I didn't sound very intelligent, and for people on the Internet it's difficult to tell whether someone is intelligent or not, so speaking properly helps ... I think. That doesn't sound like it makes sense, but oh well, I'm tired.

peec ppl!!!!!!!!!!! xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx!!!!!!1

Sixto
04-04-2011, 05:01 PM
Wow, lotta posts. :p

Yeah, Internet grammar is important. A lot of people talk like straight up retards, especially when I had a Facebook. TallkInq LiEc ThIs iiS NaWT kewL! It irks me. In text I can tolerate it, but even then I don't shorten words.

Basically, it's hard to take you seriously if you post like a *******. One word I am guilty of misspelling on purpose is 'Thanx.' :p

Teddiursa of the Sky
04-04-2011, 05:08 PM
I use proper grammar even when I am f'ing around.

i sck @ itrnt tkin cuz im no noob... so g hm n sck on tat xD

IceKyurem
04-04-2011, 07:08 PM
i fink typin liek dis is nt kewl. it maks u luk liek a n00b.

I only type like the above when:
I'm doing it to prove a point (like: not typin owt ur damn wrds liek dis is not kewl)
I've been dared to.
I'm in a chat room (but I usally type properly in chatrooms)
I want to annoy people
It's a common abrieviation (like LOL for Laugh Out Loud, EQ for Earthquake, GTG for Got To Go, etc.)

garjmp
04-05-2011, 03:05 AM

what this guy said.

Get off your high horse, ppl.

Speed-X
04-29-2011, 12:18 AM
However, I'm all for abbreviations and whatnot on the cell phone texting, since it saves time and it costs cheaper in certain cases if the message has less characters.
I actually never knew that even mattered, to be honest.

I don't care if you don't use correct capitalization and such, just as long as your speech makes sense; including punctuation. I'm not a grammar nazi, but how SOME PEOPLE ON FACEBOOK WILL TALK...Oh my god, someone please kill me.

Constant chatspeak is a huge pet peeve of mine, mostly on the internet; not texting (Don't really text that much anyways). I feel as the mentioned is the case, then it's like I'm the only intelligent person in the conversation...with, seeing how a lot of high school teens are on free-for-all chat pages like Facebook, then yeah--not trying to sound egoistical, but yeah, that IS usually the case. They're s**t-stupid.

I honestly love using it to mock people or to tell a joke, or to make things more humorous...just not in serious conversation.

Though if English really isn't your native language and you bluntly suck at it, I really don't mind...just as long as you tried! Granted it may take a while to decipher your post depending on translation-crisis level, but it's okay. Just if you're an American teen who obviously has taken great English classes, you need to get your damned act together.

Common acronyms don't count in my book...granted I really like to spice things up myself (such as using "lulz" or "OLOLOL" or "lolz"), but that's honestly just me preferring to do things a little differently than some people do...or it could all just be from habit. Perhaps a bit of both.

I honestly don't know when, how, and why typing and writing phrases out on the Internet with poor grammar and horrible spelling even got started. Speed is usually a lame argument for it, you can easily type fully clear and coherent sentences with just a fractional amount of additional effort, and it makes so much difference. To me, whenever someone types with horrible spelling and grammar, they're immediately looked down upon, never taken seriously, and most of the time, no one even bothers listening to them either.
OMG THIS^

I fear it's getting to the point where you might even find text talk and internet lingo used to fill out resumes and job applications. What's scarier is if someone actually hired a person who filled out their job application like that.
...I would go jump off a cliff. O ^ O

Yeah, Internet grammar is important. A lot of people talk like straight up retards, especially when I had a Facebook. TallkInq LiEc ThIs iiS NaWT kewL! It irks me. In text I can tolerate it, but even then I don't shorten words.
This pretty much sums up my thoughts, too!

what this guy said.

Get off your high horse, ppl.
True, but it doesn't mean we shouldn't be able to discuss it without people acting like Nazis, a lot like this. *points at above quote(s).

Honestly, this is a mere discussion so don't assume that we lose sleep over this type of thing.

I know this thread is just a little old, but I like where this discussion is going...I think. I also just felt the need to contribute my thoughts...hmm. I would imagine that reason #2 would be the most likely answer.

Silvalfo
04-29-2011, 12:53 AM
u no i liek gramar but sumtims it doesnt let u sai liek u want on teh webz

iLoveMrBieber
05-21-2011, 12:30 PM
I usually use improper grammar on Facebook, Twitter and sometimes on other forums; but only because I'm lazy. xP

I don't really care if anyone uses improper grammar unless it's a serious discussion or a roleplay.

Akuaburedo
05-22-2011, 02:05 PM
i dun c wats rong wit tpng lyk dis. u gys are sily.

No but really. I think it's about context. You don't have to write in freaking Shakespearean prose, but it'd be nice if you used a comma or a period here or there.

SLC
05-22-2011, 02:27 PM
If you use grammer incorrectly, you're an imbecile.

Disco
05-22-2011, 03:02 PM
English isn't my first language, so the reason why I (mostly) try and keep up proper speech, even online, is to not forget it. Just like I speak Portuguese exclusively at home, so I won't forget it.

But I'm not a robot, so I mess up a lot. So long as it's not a serious discussion, for me, I don't mind. But I do try my best to at least sound like I've held a proper pencil and took a proper grammar class. x3

3m0d0ll
05-22-2011, 03:06 PM
English isn't my first language, so the reason why I (mostly) try and keep up proper speech, even online, is to not forget it. Just like I speak Portuguese exclusively at home, so I won't forget it.

But I'm not a robot, so I mess up a lot. So long as it's not a serious discussion, for me, I don't mind. But I do try my best to at least sound like I've held a proper pencil and took a proper grammar class. x3

This is why Disco is the sexiest thing this forum has to offer <3

/otherthanasb.

Disco
05-22-2011, 03:08 PM
This is why Disco is the sexiest thing this forum has to offer <3

/otherthanasb.

Oh u. I'd be the sexiest thing if you guys had ASB contests. Then I'd join. <3

(Perfect example to why I don't always use correct grammar, so not entirely off-topic. I apologize?)

3m0d0ll
05-22-2011, 03:16 PM
Oh u. I'd be the sexiest thing if you guys had ASB contests. Then I'd join. <3

(Perfect example to why I don't always use correct grammar, so not entirely off-topic. I apologize?)

omg liek contetz r cumin ot in juun er somer ish so ya u sud join so u cn prepar bbyluv c:

scubasteveE
05-22-2011, 11:56 PM
Well I use btw, lol, tbh, thanx, lolwut, and some others and I really don't care if anyone else hates it. :P

Idk(oh and that one too!), I just find it sort of snobbish when people complain about grammar and it feels like that you think your better than everyone else. Not that I think anyone that posted in this thread is like that. *cough*neo emolga*cough* :)

I do think when someone tlks liek ths, it's just annoying.

kiddoman
05-24-2011, 06:16 AM
I often consider this grammar seriously! I would like to say it is important to do so! Cause it can make you form a good habit of language using!
No good to long-term way! :tongue:

Power-Line
05-25-2011, 08:21 PM
I don't at all mind grammatical errors, spelling errors, or text-talk on the internet. I don't
mind whether or not someone uses "correct" english on the internet, as long as I am able
to understand them. That's my biggest point. I fully agree that the way an individual types
reflects on their intelligence, but it's not really one of my concerns... until someone is
trying to communicate with me when I can't even understand them; that's when it
becomes problematic.