PDA

View Full Version : Personal In-Game Challenge

Saraibre Ryu
04-09-2011, 08:09 AM
Iíve been wondering...with all these Nuzlocke challenges, does anyone else use their own personalized challenges when playing though the Pokemon games like I do? Iíve been doing it Iíve noticed the past few years without even realizing it until a month or so ago. This is personally what I do. I've decided to keep a log of it for my failure embarrassment and your entertainment.

This is strictly how Iíve been playing the game for the last few years, and since Iíve been seeing all these Nuzlocke challenges show up, I thought what the hey, I could post this. Iíve decided to amp it up a bit with my third run through of Unova on White. Considering I had to run through White as fast as I possibly could, trying to get Poketransfer for my friends who wanted to play in-game with their own teams they had prepared, I didnít have much of a chance to explore things. Having restarted, Iíve finally decided to follow a more difficult version of my usual rules.

If anyone wants to try my style of playing the games, feel free to do so. You may use my ĎMore Rulesí as your Optional Rules. My main stuff gotta stay though.

Sabiís Personal Challenge

Main Rules:

Can only use Pokeballís given at the beginning of the game to capture Pokemon for main team. After main team is captured, purchase of other Pokeballís may be used to catch Pokemon, but these Pokemon canít be used.
Three strikes and game over; Pokemon fainting = strike

More Rules:

Team has to have a theme.
May only use MooMoo Milk in replacements for Potions. [When available in certain games]
One ball toss per species of Pokemon. Failure to capture disallows use of said Pokemon.
No two Pokemon can be captured in the same area.
In battle, must use a Pokemon your opponent has a type advantage against whenever possible. [Eg. Opponent has fire, you use grass/bug/ice.]
Pokemon cannot faint in Gym Battles or the battle must be done over.
Must use nicknames.
May not use given eggs/Pokemon or in game trades for party Pokemon. May not trade in Pokemon from outside games for Party.
HM slaves are not permitted
Held items in battle are prohibited.
Cannot run from wild encounters.
Legendary Pokemon use is banned.
May only heal HP outside of battle.

Other Rules Iíve used before but arenít using in this run:

Must see end credits in under 24 hours of gameplay. [I wanna take it nice and easy this time >_< Iíve done this with every other game I have however.]
May only heal outside of battle if in a town.

Log ONE: The Beginning

So in the beginning I went with Tepig this time, spamming the A button to get past the two first battles without paying much attention. I swear itís impossible to lose them. Getting through the usual blah blah explanatory of the whole journey Pokedex quest, I named my little Tepig Daouli, which is apparently Greek for Ďdrumí. Going on past more tutorial stuff, explaining, the first steps, I finally get my Pokeballs. Six chances to capture my team. Though I remember her giving me just five last time. Moving on, I have my first wild encounter with a Patrat. Daouli took it out no problem and I move on to Accumula Town. A Pokemon Center tutorial later, I head out and listen to Ghestis talk his talk and walk off with his little posse. Then I battle N, still only having Daouli as my only Pokemon. A few Tackles later, N leaves, and thus Iím free to wander again.

Heading out onto the next Route, mom finally gives me my running shoes. As I cheer for my new fast footwear, I decide to go grinding, hoping to find a Purrloin for my team. I run into a Lillipup, and never really having a fondness for those things, but knowing I canít run, I proceed to beat the sleep out of it. My lack of attention caused Daouli to take a critical hit and almost faint, almost a first strike within twenty minutes of game time. Luckily Daouli manages to knock the sucker out and Iím free to heal him with my only Potion. As I look for Purrloin, I manage to find one. It being male, I decided to knock it out in hopes of finding a female. About a half hour later of Patrat and Lillipup, and my Daouli now level 12, Iím wondering if putting that first Purrloin out was a bad idea. God those things were scarce. I headed over to the Pokemon Center in Striaton City, only to forget that Bianca shows up and challenges you. Still only having my Tepig, I couldnít avoid using it against her Snivy. After healing, I decide to take one last look in the bushes. Getting tired, I was ready to turn around and try and do a solo Pokemon run until I hit Wellspring Cave. Thatís when I found another one, and luckily to my liking, it was female.

Knowing any one attack will knock it out, I spam Defense Curl in hopes my [hopefully] new Pokemon will spam Growl so I can hit it without OHKOing the purple feline. Well a few growls later so that Daouliís attack is completely off, I go to use Tackle. To my frustration, I yell at my pixelated pig about a critical hit. Another Purrloin gone after a fail strategy. I should of just thrown a stupid ball. As I try to leave again, I have another wild encounter, to my luck, another female Purrloin. Attempting failed plan A again, it turns out successful with a couple Tackleís and one ball toss, I successfully get my Purrloin, and name the devious bugger Alula, which is apparently the technical term for a group of small quill feathers on the first digit of a birds wing. Huh, who knew.

Thus, after one of my ĎFINALLYí moments, I retire for the night, looking so forward to grinding the purple demon cat tomorrow.

Team Stats:
[B]Theme: Random names that are in a dictionary somewhere.
Daouli [M] Tepig LVL 13
Alula [F] Purrloin LVL 4

Strikes: 0
Pokeball's Remaining: 5/6

Altrius
04-09-2011, 09:30 AM
Iíve been wondering...with all these Nuzlocke challenges, does anyone else use their own personalized challenges when playing though the Pokemon games like I do? Iíve been doing it Iíve noticed the past few years without even realizing it until a month or so ago. This is personally what I do. I've decided to keep a log of it for my failure embarrassment and your entertainment.

This is strictly how Iíve been playing the game for the last few years, and since Iíve been seeing all these Nuzlocke challenges show up, I thought what the hey, I could post this. Iíve decided to amp it up a bit with my third run through of Unova on White. Considering I had to run through White as fast as I possibly could, trying to get Poketransfer for my friends who wanted to play in-game with their own teams they had prepared, I didnít have much of a chance to explore things. Having restarted, Iíve finally decided to follow a more difficult version of my usual rules.

If anyone wants to try my style of playing the games, feel free to do so. You may use my ĎMore Rulesí as your Optional Rules. My main stuff gotta stay though.

Sabiís Personal Challenge

Main Rules:

Can only use Pokeballís given at the beginning of the game to capture Pokemon for main team. After main team is captured, purchase of other Pokeballís may be used to catch Pokemon, but these Pokemon canít be used.
Three strikes and game over; Pokemon fainting = strike

More Rules:

Team has to have a theme.
May only use MooMoo Milk in replacements for Potions. [When available in certain games]
One ball toss per species of Pokemon. Failure to capture disallows use of said Pokemon.
No two Pokemon can be captured in the same area.
In battle, must use a Pokemon your opponent has a type advantage against whenever possible. [Eg. Opponent has fire, you use grass/bug/ice.]
Pokemon cannot faint in Gym Battles or the battle must be done over.
Must use nicknames.
May not use given eggs/Pokemon or in game trades for party Pokemon. May not trade in Pokemon from outside games for Party.
HM slaves are not permitted
Held items in battle are prohibited.
Cannot run from wild encounters.
Legendary Pokemon use is banned.
May only heal HP outside of battle.

Other Rules Iíve used before but arenít using in this run:

Must see end credits in under 24 hours of gameplay. [I wanna take it nice and easy this time >_< Iíve done this with every other game I have however.]
May only heal outside of battle if in a town.

Log ONE: The Beginning

So in the beginning I went with Tepig this time, spamming the A button to get past the two first battles without paying much attention. I swear itís impossible to lose them. Getting through the usual blah blah explanatory of the whole journey Pokedex quest, I named my little Tepig Daouli, which is apparently Greek for Ďdrumí. Going on past more tutorial stuff, explaining, the first steps, I finally get my Pokeballs. Six chances to capture my team. Though I remember her giving me just five last time. Moving on, I have my first wild encounter with a Patrat. Daouli took it out no problem and I move on to Accumula Town. A Pokemon Center tutorial later, I head out and listen to Ghestis talk his talk and walk off with his little posse. Then I battle N, still only having Daouli as my only Pokemon. A few Tackles later, N leaves, and thus Iím free to wander again.

Heading out onto the next Route, mom finally gives me my running shoes. As I cheer for my new fast footwear, I decide to go grinding, hoping to find a Purrloin for my team. I run into a Lillipup, and never really having a fondness for those things, but knowing I canít run, I proceed to beat the sleep out of it. My lack of attention caused Daouli to take a critical hit and almost faint, almost a first strike within twenty minutes of game time. Luckily Daouli manages to knock the sucker out and Iím free to heal him with my only Potion. As I look for Purrloin, I manage to find one. It being male, I decided to knock it out in hopes of finding a female. About a half hour later of Patrat and Lillipup, and my Daouli now level 12, Iím wondering if putting that first Purrloin out was a bad idea. God those things were scarce. I headed over to the Pokemon Center in Striaton City, only to forget that Bianca shows up and challenges you. Still only having my Tepig, I couldnít avoid using it against her Snivy. After healing, I decide to take one last look in the bushes. Getting tired, I was ready to turn around and try and do a solo Pokemon run until I hit Wellspring Cave. Thatís when I found another one, and luckily to my liking, it was female.

Knowing any one attack will knock it out, I spam Defense Curl in hopes my [hopefully] new Pokemon will spam Growl so I can hit it without OHKOing the purple feline. Well a few growls later so that Daouliís attack is completely off, I go to use Tackle. To my frustration, I yell at my pixelated pig about a critical hit. Another Purrloin gone after a fail strategy. I should of just thrown a stupid ball. As I try to leave again, I have another wild encounter, to my luck, another female Purrloin. Attempting failed plan A again, it turns out successful with a couple Tackleís and one ball toss, I successfully get my Purrloin, and name the devious bugger Alula, which is apparently the technical term for a group of small quill feathers on the first digit of a birds wing. Huh, who knew.

Thus, after one of my ĎFINALLYí moments, I retire for the night, looking so forward to grinding the purple demon cat tomorrow.

Team Stats:
[B]Theme: Random names that are in a dictionary somewhere.
Daouli [M] Tepig LVL 13
Alula [F] Purrloin LVL 4

Strikes: 0

So essentially your rules are quite different from Nuzlocke? You can choose which pokemon you want to use, but you can only ever catch 5 pokemon for your main team? Interesting. Still looks good and i'll be watching and reading for sure.

Also, lulz for the critial hit. Damn random numbers.

Roze
04-09-2011, 03:28 PM
This actually sounds like alot of fun. I may try this next time I play through. I feel like it would be cool to have to add the nuzlocke rule of only catching the first pokemon you run into.

Saraibre Ryu
04-11-2011, 07:15 AM
Gawd...the last couple days SUCKED...

Log TWO: Alula and the Funky Monkey

You know itís gonna be a good read for you with a title like that...

Alula...yeah remember when I said demon cat? Well she is NOT very demonic. Honestly, grinding took about two hours because of that thing. Gentle natured, yeah the Summary had it right. Alula couldnít hit things hard enough before she ended up with critical health, forcing me to switch back to Daouli in order to not earn a strike and still level her up. Dear Arceus she couldnít take hits, and Iíve never seen so many near death experiences Eventually I get her up to level 6 by then she learns Assist. Even with that she STILL canít hold her own. Level 8, same thing. After constant switching and running to the Pokemon center after almost EVERY. Single. Wild. Encounter...I decide to screw it and go battle Cheren at the Pokemon School. I battle him, forgetting that he has his Oshawott out first, I switch to Daouli, it being 14 and Cherenís Oshawott being 8...yeah there isnít much contest here. A couple tackles and the blue otter is down. Cheren switches to his Purrloin and I do the same.

Thus, the battle of Assist spamming begins!

I thought Alula would have better luck using Daouliís moves, so I spam Assist. At least the cat was smart enough to use a Defense Curl or two to make up for her poor defense. However, the other Purrloin is growling the crap out of Alula. I figure that sheís going to end up the same olí switch out when...IT HAPPENED.

Alulaís inner demon came out.

Assisting an Ember, she nails the for to half HP. What was even better, she BURNED the damn thing, so now, Iím pretty much set to stall out the rest of the battle. IT works, and Alula burns the other Purrloin into submission. Feeling confident, I go into the gym and take out the gym trainers, not ready for Cress quite yet. After them, I go back into the bush to grind some more. Alula using Assist more and more, I notice she has a pyrokinetic demon inside of her, as over half her Assisted Embers end up burning whatever sheís fighting. Finally I get her up to a decent level before heading to the Dreamyard to put a few Trainers a bit lower on the esteem scale.

Thatís when Alula lost it again. She was back to ending up with too many 1HP results and more switching back to Daouli. Daouli, now at level 15 with Flame charge, manages to make everyone in the Dreamyard look like fools. I skip over the elemental monkey giving lady, because one, thatíd be breaking my rule, and two, Iím not entirely fond of a Pokemon that looks like someone tried to make a hybrid of Aipom and broccoli and succeeded. Then, I decide itís gym time. Setting up Alula to deal with the Lillipup, as Daouli is going to have to deal with the Panpour, I begin my battle.

Alula did well, using a few Assists to make herself a bit more durable with a couple Defense Curls and a Tackle. As Cress gets his Lillipup to Work Up, at about half itís HP, I get Alula to use Fury Swipes. It makes three hits before landing a fourth critical, I was cheering but then panicked when it still had a sliver of health left. Then came a fifth swipe, and BOOM. Puppy down. That just left the spout monkey and my Daouli.

It was on.

Sending out Daouli, I know he isnít gonna be faster than the Panpour. Using a Flame Charge to boost his speed, I was lucky that the blue primate used Work Up. Having speed priority, I nail it with a Tackle. Taking out about a third of itís health. Another Work Up. Iím in a bit of a panic, fearing a OHKO Water Gun and hoping for a Critical hit tackle. I use tackle again, and itís not a critical hit...thatís when the Water Gun comes. I see the HP going done, green, yellow. Then I stop. Daouliís HP is at a third...at THIRD? From a boosted Water Gun? HELL YES I HAVE THIS. Knowing Cress is going to use a Potion, I spam tackle, as the Potion wasnít enough to heal it completely. Tackle takes about half of Panpourís remaining health away. Iím dreading a 1HP survival...I use tackle for my last time, and thatís when I hear the pitiful cry of the blue monkey go down. Iím arm pumping anime style in my head, and noticing my DSi is about to run out of juice. Spamming the A button, I finish off the gym speech, save my game, and go for my charger.

Coming back to my game, I then continue to do the thing with Fennel. After much talking, I get HM Cut. Since I canít use an HM slave, I put the move on Alula, since it is a bit more powerful than scratch. I get to the Dreamyard, do the thing with the Munna, beating up Plasma and enjoying their theme song a lot. Alula gets a bit more redemption to her reputation by beating out the grunts. Moving on, I can FINALLY head out of Striaton City. Thinking of my next Pokemon to grab, I turn in for the night after hearing about the stolen Pokemon. I aim to have a new partner tomorrow.

[B]Team Stats:
Theme: Random names that are in a dictionary somewhere
Daouli [M] Tepig LVL 16
Alula [F] Purrloin LVL 14

Strikes: 0 [Almost had one WAY too many times]

Altrius
04-11-2011, 10:35 AM
Gawd...the last couple days SUCKED...

Log TWO: Alula and the Funky Monkey

You know itís gonna be a good read for you with a title like that...

Alula...yeah remember when I said demon cat? Well she is NOT very demonic. Honestly, grinding took about two hours because of that thing. Gentle natured, yeah the Summary had it right. Alula couldnít hit things hard enough before she ended up with critical health, forcing me to switch back to Daouli in order to not earn a strike and still level her up. Dear Arceus she couldnít take hits, and Iíve never seen so many near death experiences Eventually I get her up to level 6 by then she learns Assist. Even with that she STILL canít hold her own. Level 8, same thing. After constant switching and running to the Pokemon center after almost EVERY. Single. Wild. Encounter...I decide to screw it and go battle Cheren at the Pokemon School. I battle him, forgetting that he has his Oshawott out first, I switch to Daouli, it being 14 and Cherenís Oshawott being 8...yeah there isnít much contest here. A couple tackles and the blue otter is down. Cheren switches to his Purrloin and I do the same.

Thus, the battle of Assist spamming begins!

I thought Alula would have better luck using Daouliís moves, so I spam Assist. At least the cat was smart enough to use a Defense Curl or two to make up for her poor defense. However, the other Purrloin is growling the crap out of Alula. I figure that sheís going to end up the same olí switch out when...IT HAPPENED.

Alulaís inner demon came out.

Assisting an Ember, she nails the for to half HP. What was even better, she BURNED the damn thing, so now, Iím pretty much set to stall out the rest of the battle. IT works, and Alula burns the other Purrloin into submission. Feeling confident, I go into the gym and take out the gym trainers, not ready for Cress quite yet. After them, I go back into the bush to grind some more. Alula using Assist more and more, I notice she has a pyrokinetic demon inside of her, as over half her Assisted Embers end up burning whatever sheís fighting. Finally I get her up to a decent level before heading to the Dreamyard to put a few Trainers a bit lower on the esteem scale.

Thatís when Alula lost it again. She was back to ending up with too many 1HP results and more switching back to Daouli. Daouli, now at level 15 with Flame charge, manages to make everyone in the Dreamyard look like fools. I skip over the elemental monkey giving lady, because one, thatíd be breaking my rule, and two, Iím not entirely fond of a Pokemon that looks like someone tried to make a hybrid of Aipom and broccoli and succeeded. Then, I decide itís gym time. Setting up Alula to deal with the Lillipup, as Daouli is going to have to deal with the Panpour, I begin my battle.

Alula did well, using a few Assists to make herself a bit more durable with a couple Defense Curls and a Tackle. As Cress gets his Lillipup to Work Up, at about half itís HP, I get Alula to use Fury Swipes. It makes three hits before landing a fourth critical, I was cheering but then panicked when it still had a sliver of health left. Then came a fifth swipe, and BOOM. Puppy down. That just left the spout monkey and my Daouli.

It was on.

Sending out Daouli, I know he isnít gonna be faster than the Panpour. Using a Flame Charge to boost his speed, I was lucky that the blue primate used Work Up. Having speed priority, I nail it with a Tackle. Taking out about a third of itís health. Another Work Up. Iím in a bit of a panic, fearing a OHKO Water Gun and hoping for a Critical hit tackle. I use tackle again, and itís not a critical hit...thatís when the Water Gun comes. I see the HP going done, green, yellow. Then I stop. Daouliís HP is at a third...at THIRD? From a boosted Water Gun? HELL YES I HAVE THIS. Knowing Cress is going to use a Potion, I spam tackle, as the Potion wasnít enough to heal it completely. Tackle takes about half of Panpourís remaining health away. Iím dreading a 1HP survival...I use tackle for my last time, and thatís when I hear the pitiful cry of the blue monkey go down. Iím arm pumping anime style in my head, and noticing my DSi is about to run out of juice. Spamming the A button, I finish off the gym speech, save my game, and go for my charger.

Coming back to my game, I then continue to do the thing with Fennel. After much talking, I get HM Cut. Since I canít use an HM slave, I put the move on Alula, since it is a bit more powerful than scratch. I get to the Dreamyard, do the thing with the Munna, beating up Plasma and enjoying their theme song a lot. Alula gets a bit more redemption to her reputation by beating out the grunts. Moving on, I can FINALLY head out of Striaton City. Thinking of my next Pokemon to grab, I turn in for the night after hearing about the stolen Pokemon. I aim to have a new partner tomorrow.

[B]Team Stats:
Theme: Random names that are in a dictionary somewhere
Daouli [M] Tepig LVL 16
Alula [F] Purrloin LVL 14

Strikes: 0 [Almost had one WAY too many times]

Good read, I seriously thought there you were going to ditch Alula and throw the can in but you stuck through it with your pyromaniac cat and pulled through :) Made me chuckle

Zan Sabrefang
04-11-2011, 11:42 AM
Looking good so far.
Keep up the good work.

Ps. Simipour is the BANE of B/W.
The world and his wife has one.