PDA

View Full Version : Your Native Language?

Speed-X
04-25-2011, 02:22 AM
...Wow, all the threads in this subforum are dead. I honesty believe that culture, different languages, and all the different way different cultures casually communicate with each other is what makes this world still so interesting, but this is totally not cool. D8\ (The lack of posts.)

Anyways, please do tell us your native language...and since I suppose there will be a lot of the same answer, feel free to also share what other language(s) you speak / are learning.

My native language is obviously English, even though I've been asked a couple times on a couple different forums if Deutsch was my native language or something, lulz.

But, yeah. I'm also in German II, currently. Really should have taken German I during my Freshman year, but since foreign language classes are an entire year long each, and I wouldn't have had any other electives to take, I skipped out on it like a loser. >_>;

Latisiblings
04-25-2011, 11:35 AM
My native language is Korean, but living in an English-speaking country for nearly four years made me speak English as well. I'm currently learning Chinese, and I have an interest in French and Japanese which I definitely plan to learn in a couple of months/years.

Off topic, but does anyone on the forums speak Korean?

King N
04-25-2011, 03:03 PM
My native language is hindi
but staying in india and us have made me speak english
Bengali is also known by me
Am learning Japanese.
Anyone here who speaks hindi

SLC
04-25-2011, 03:24 PM
English, but have been learning German for just under 3 years, and Spanish for just under a year. Dropping German this year to carry on Spanish for GCSE because I find it so much easier.

Disco
04-25-2011, 03:48 PM
Brazilian Portuguese is my first language. A decade of English, though.
I still speak and read like a native, but writing Portuguese, for me, is very limited. Er, my writing capabilities are of an eight year old.

I also took two years of French, that I can now understand and read, but struggle to speak or write back. Nevertheless, lol, it's not the topic.
My first language is Portuguese, but my native language (I'm assuming meaning as the language in which I speak like a native and feel most comfortable in) is between Portuguese and English, considering that my first eight years were in Brazil, and the next ten were here in the US.

Teddiursa of the Sky
04-25-2011, 04:45 PM
It is hard for me to differentiate my main language, mainly because I speak English excellently, and speak German moderately okay, and I do speak German more than English most of the time. Hmmm...

Well, no matter, I will just say English.

I also know how to write Japanese and am learning to speak Chinese! (<- New business language son!)

Also, ich höre einige von euch sprechen Deutsch! Das ist grossartig!

Eternal Moonlight
04-26-2011, 06:13 PM
In terms of first language, it's French. I'm pretty good at speaking it, and my written is far better then it was (thanks to attending a pure French university).

Bonjour, comment allez-vous?

I use English more outside of school, since I live in a more Anglophone part of Canada. As such, I'm more competant in English.

Oddly, baring university, none of my (rather populous, may I add) schools offered any languages outside of French and English. Spanish got cut, for some dumb reason, which I would have loved to take. Languages are so fansinating, keys to communication and understanding...

Skylands
04-26-2011, 07:26 PM
English is my native language, of course. I've been taking a Spanish class in school for 3 years now, though I don't have any plans to carry on much longer with it. I need to focus on my other studies.

Teddiursa of the Sky
04-26-2011, 07:41 PM
Ach, wollen die beiden poster über mir kein Deutsch... Scheisse!

Farrell
04-26-2011, 09:15 PM
English is my native language but I've been learning Irish for what like more than 10 years? So I'm pretty confident with speaking Irish as well. I've also been learning French for 5 years and I did German for 2 but didn't really like it :P

Ant2011
04-26-2011, 09:28 PM
my native language is english (shocker), but I have taken 5 years of spanish during my school career. 7th-12th grade.

Phantom Kat
04-27-2011, 12:52 AM
My native language is Spanish (Mexican variety), and it's the language I use at home. However, the language I speak more fluently is English due to moving from Mexico at the age of three. In school the only Spanish taught was simple writing and spelling, so after that everything else was just what I learned from speaking with my family and reading. My vocabulary is limited, and I make some small grammatical mistakes here and there, but I plan to read many Spanish novels this summer to improve. (At least I didn't end up with botchy Spanish like some of my classmates due to having parents that only speak Spanish.)

Minä myös opiskelen suomea, or I also study Finnish. It's a very interesting language, quite fun to listen and write. I can construct simple sentences and catch some words or simple sentences in videos after starting studying it back in early September. One of the reasons I like studying it is because its grammar is so different from the grammar in English and Spanish. Too bad there are zero Finns where I live. On Pe2K the only Finn I know that is a member is IT. D:

I also plan to German in college and maybe even make it my Major. I just love how it sounds.

Japanese is also in my hit list for sometime in my life.

I also want to learn Mandarin Chinese, again because of how it sounds. As to when, someday but not in the near future. At least I would be able to speak it with my brother-in-law. :D

I used to study French back in 5th grade but stopped when I moved to a school district that only offered Spanish (oh the irony). Who knows? I might pick it up someday, especially since my sister studies it.

Then there's other languages I just like but might not end up studying: Icelandic, Polish, Turkish, and some others.

- Kat

Teddiursa of the Sky
04-27-2011, 09:08 PM
My native language is Spanish (Mexican variety), and it's the language I use at home. However, the language I speak more fluently is English due to moving from Mexico at the age of three. In school the only Spanish taught was simple writing and spelling, so after that everything else was just what I learned from speaking with my family and reading. My vocabulary is limited, and I make some small grammatical mistakes here and there, but I plan to read many Spanish novels this summer to improve. (At least I didn't end up with botchy Spanish like some of my classmates due to having parents that only speak Spanish.)

Minä myös opiskelen suomea, or I also study Finnish. It's a very interesting language, quite fun to listen and write. I can construct simple sentences and catch some words or simple sentences in videos after starting studying it back in early September. One of the reasons I like studying it is because its grammar is so different from the grammar in English and Spanish. Too bad there are zero Finns where I live. On Pe2K the only Finn I know that is a member is IT. D:

I also plan to German in college and maybe even make it my Major. I just love how it sounds.

Japanese is also in my hit list for sometime in my life.

I also want to learn Mandarin Chinese, again because of how it sounds. As to when, someday but not in the near future. At least I would be able to speak it with my brother-in-law. :D

I used to study French back in 5th grade but stopped when I moved to a school district that only offered Spanish (oh the irony). Who knows? I might pick it up someday, especially since my sister studies it.

Then there's other languages I just like but might not end up studying: Icelandic, Polish, Turkish, and some others.

- Kat

Gute Entscheidung! Deutsch ist sehr lustig zu sprechen! Japanisch ist auch spass, aber man muss etwa 3 alphabete auswendig zu lernen, ein bisschen wie mit Chinesischen traditionellen, Mandarin, vereinfacht, etc.

English:

Good choice! German is awesome to speak! Japanese is also fun, but you have to memorize like 3 alphabets, sort of like Chinese with Traditional, Mandarin, Simplified, and so on.

Phantom Kat
04-27-2011, 11:51 PM
Gute Entscheidung! Deutsch ist sehr lustig zu sprechen! Japanisch ist auch spass, aber man muss etwa 3 alphabete auswendig zu lernen, ein bisschen wie mit Chinesischen traditionellen, Mandarin, vereinfacht, etc.

English:

Good choice! German is awesome to speak! Japanese is also fun, but you have to memorize like 3 alphabets, sort of like Chinese with Traditional, Mandarin, Simplified, and so on.

Danke. :)

That's true about Japanese but at least katakana and hiragana are alphabets which just leaves the kanji, or Chinese characters, to memorize. The grammar, though, I heard is tricky. If and when I learn Mandarin I'll probably memorize Traditional Characters jsut because that's what my brother-in-law uses (he's from Taiwan) and he might want to help me. ^-^

- Kat

Speed-X
04-28-2011, 12:36 PM
*w*! Yay! Keep the comments coming.

Anyways, this is all so interesting, how many people we have that have come from a differently-speaking-language and whatnot.

Titanium: hey you, watch your mouth now! XD oh well, I suppose it doesn't matter too much since its in a foreign language.

I guess not everyone can learn of the true awesome of the German language. >XD. Oh well, though, because we still have some really interesting comments...actually...ich finde sie alle interessant.

Teddiursa of the Sky
04-28-2011, 02:06 PM
Scheisse in German does not actually have the same meaning as 'sh1t' in English. If you live here in Germany, you will learn a different word that is used for that term. Scheisse is the simple equivalent of the English word 'crap'.

Speed-X
04-28-2011, 05:09 PM
Oh, I see. Interesting!