PDA

View Full Version : "Off" or "Out of"?

Phantom Kat
06-01-2011, 03:14 AM
I was talking with my flute teacher while waiting for my mom to pick me up, and came upon this interesting tidbit of information.

We were discussing the differences in phrases with Spanish and English, such as "I have (a) dream," versus, "I am sleepy," (they both mean the same thing but are worded differently in the respective languages.) We found out that in Spanish you say, " I get/got off the car," while her English-speaking ex had corrected her with, "I get/got out of the car." I say the former and have never said the latter, but I could have sworn I've heard, "I got off the car," in English by native English speakers.

So to appease my curiosity, what do you guys say?

- Kat

Skylands
06-01-2011, 07:19 PM
Get out of.

TheEvilDookie
06-01-2011, 07:45 PM
I say "I get out of the car", but for more large-scale transportation methods such as a bus, plane, boat, etc, I say "I got off the bus/plane/boat/etc"

Ridley
06-01-2011, 08:06 PM
I get off the car, because I carsurf on the roof on the highway at 60 mph.

Etymology
06-01-2011, 08:26 PM
That's an odd question. Surely because you're in the car as opposed to on top of the car the correct phrase would be 'get out of'?

That's what I voted for, anyway.

EDIT: I think it depends on the type of vehicle.

For cars/lorries/trucks/etc, I'd say 'I got out of the car', but with boats, planes and trains I'd say 'I got off the plane.'

How strange. I voted for the wrong one, then. I'd use both.

GallantlyGlaceon
06-03-2011, 05:13 PM
I use both, like some people said, 'off' for large vehicles, and 'out of' for small ones.

Phantom Kat
06-03-2011, 05:31 PM
I say "I get out of the car", but for more large-scale transportation methods such as a bus, plane, boat, etc, I say "I got off the bus/plane/boat/etc"

Yeah, my teacher's ex said that while it's "out of" of the car, it's "off" the bus/plane/whatever. 'Course that confused the heck out of us. xD

- Kat

Sloddikus
06-04-2011, 01:13 AM
What am i edo webv eghb o yes?

The Maple Syrup Baptist
06-04-2011, 01:21 AM
When referring to getting out of a car, I say "I got out of the car".

atucker22
06-06-2011, 02:33 AM
I say "got out of." I've never really heard anyone say it any other way

CrazyTrainer
06-06-2011, 10:05 PM
I would use the out of course sounds right.

Judgmental Arceus
06-08-2011, 12:22 AM
I say "got out of." I've never really heard anyone say it any other way

This is basically my response I'm too lazy to type.

Graceful_Suicune
06-09-2011, 06:22 AM
Never said get off. Unless I was literally on top of the car. xDD But for the train or the bus, it's ALWAYS "off".

~GS.

Sudo
06-21-2011, 04:02 PM
i love these precocious kids who notice things and then go on the internet to question them in such beautifully-literate ways.

you don't say you "got off" the car, unless you're riding in the roof rack. :confused:

3m0d0ll
06-21-2011, 05:46 PM
This.

Though I'm wondering why we say "off of" when talking about a vehicle other than a car... Even if you're talking about removing yourself from a bicycle or a tractor, you'd say "I got off the bike." Hmm... I also can't think of a vehicle I'd say that I got "out of" other than a machine that you could drive on a freeway (Truck, RV, car, etc) besides a motorcycle.

So I say both, but it depends on the context and they are not fungible.

Kenny_C.002
06-21-2011, 06:50 PM
I think I went with "get out of" most of the time. lol

Sight of the Stars
06-21-2011, 07:59 PM
This thread blew my mind.

The replies are so true. I mean, I never say 'I'm getting off of a car', I say 'out of'. But I also never say 'I'm getting out of the plane' or 'out of the bus'. I always say 'I'm getting off of the plane' or 'off of the bus'. xD

Pokeboy sarab
06-22-2011, 09:30 AM
I don't really remember what I say, never paid it much attention.
I think I would say "I got out of the car", but I'd also say "I got off the bus". Interesting thread, :D

Hoshika
06-22-2011, 09:04 PM
maybe it depends on how likely it is you'll be pushed out of the vehicle and sustain some sort of injury by fat-man-impact

wait never mind

Jessu
06-23-2011, 07:33 AM

^ This.

It might be a translation thing. xD There's many phrases in Spanish that make little to no sense in English.