PDA

View Full Version : Main storyline with Unova Pokemon only - good idea?

Trent Reznor
06-18-2011, 04:25 PM
In Black/White, you were only allowed to catch Unova Pokemon during the main storyline.

Did you think it was a smart move? I did, because that made the game feel fresh. :3

Cheerful Cherubi
06-18-2011, 05:02 PM
I really liked that way of doing it! Best part- no wild Geodude or Zubat in caves!

Etymology
06-18-2011, 06:25 PM
I really liked that way of doing it! Best part- no wild Geodude or Zubat in caves!
I definitely enjoyed it. Besides, more 'other-region' Pokemon means less new ones will be included in the main story, which I'd dislike.

Latisiblings
06-19-2011, 01:39 AM
Though I missed the Zubats and Geodudes, unlike everyone else (Woobat was crap), it felt pretty new. Though the new Pokemons in caves were crappy.

The pokemaster
06-19-2011, 02:37 AM
I felt disappointed at the exclusion of a main water route you must follow, but otherwise, I'm quite happy with the Unova only Pokemon storyline. My only problem is how hard it is to get older Pokemon.

Mr420
06-19-2011, 05:33 AM
I agree with most of the posts^ smart move. It gave us much the same feeling ASH had/s on his Unova journey.

Cheerful Cherubi
06-19-2011, 07:33 AM
But.. I hate how much the population increased! It's seriously like, every other step, you find a Patrat!

Saraibre Ryu
06-19-2011, 09:16 AM
NO HM MANDATORY TEACHING REQUIREMENT HELL YEAH.

I liked how I didn't need to waste a move slot for Strength or something to get to places in the game. You had to use Cut, like once. Catch a random Patrat, easy, done. o Rock Smashing no Strength boulders, and once the boulders for strength if you had to move them, were PERMA moved. That's awesome.

I liked the fact it was Unova Pokemon only. Some Pokemon I thought I wasn't going to use I did anyway. [I always wanted a Galvantula though IMO]

Rhys!
06-19-2011, 10:26 AM
One of the better improvements Game Freak has made in recent times if you ask me.

As a few above have said, No Geodude and Zubat in caves was lovely.

Pokemon of Destruction
06-19-2011, 04:12 PM
I agree about liking it but even though they don't have Geodude and Zubat in caves. They now have Roggenrolas and Woobats.

Pokemon Trainer Sarah
06-20-2011, 01:17 PM
Cave Pokemon were still annoying xD But I do think this was a good idea. It forced people to use the new Pokemon and therefore start liking them/becoming more attached to them. I always try to only use Pokemon from the region I'm playing in anyway because I feel like it gets boring if I just use my same few favourites in every game.

Kamoosekazi
06-22-2011, 10:45 PM
NO HM MANDATORY TEACHING REQUIREMENT HELL YEAH.

I liked how I didn't need to waste a move slot for Strength or something to get to places in the game. You had to use Cut, like once. Catch a random Patrat, easy, done. o Rock Smashing no Strength boulders, and once the boulders for strength if you had to move them, were PERMA moved. That's awesome.

I liked the fact it was Unova Pokemon only. Some Pokemon I thought I wasn't going to use I did anyway. [I always wanted a Galvantula though IMO]

THIS THIS THIS!!!!!
Pretty much the only abilities you use on a daily basis is Fly and Surf. This left so much more time for movesets to be fully utilized!

Cave Pokemon were still annoying xD But I do think this was a good idea. It forced people to use the new Pokemon and therefore start liking them/becoming more attached to them. I always try to only use Pokemon from the region I'm playing in anyway because I feel like it gets boring if I just use my same few favourites in every game.

^The lack of older generation pokemon through the main storyline allowed me to grow a new bond with this pokemon and thus make me like them more than I would have.
I personally believe this is the reason why I have a small love for Gen IV pokemon (i chose to stick with mostly Gen IV pokemon) and with Gen III I hardly remember any of them because I stuck with Gen I and II mons.

If you don't let them grow on you, you won't have an appreciation for their abilities!

atucker22
06-22-2011, 11:00 PM
I like it a lot. I usually use like 4 new pokes and 2 old standbys. However, now I had to use 6 new ones, and it made me like them much more

Judgmental Arceus
06-22-2011, 11:18 PM
I absolutely loved the idea. This makes it much easier to get accustomed to the new pokemon without having to complain about the same old Zubat and Geodude (not a big fan of Roggenrola or Woobat, but I can still tolerate them). I just wish they made this idea sooner than later.

GohJolteonBoy
06-24-2011, 09:08 AM
Well, I was glad the Zubat were gone.

Until after the main storyline.

The only Pokemon I missed were Ditto and Eevee XD

Battlestar
07-04-2011, 03:20 AM
I liked it this way. I do however miss the other pokemon. But maybe they will add some more pokemon from the older regions like they did with Platinum.
It felt really fun this way.

Kamoosekazi
07-06-2011, 04:57 PM
I liked it this way. I do however miss the other pokemon. But maybe they will add some more pokemon from the older regions like they did with Platinum.
It felt really fun this way.

They added the other pokemon in the post-game >.>

Unless you mean, like variety of what you can get that you can't get from B/W
Then yes I agree... Having to rely on not just Gen IV but also Gen III games to complete the pokedex sucks D:

Pokémon Breeder Shane
07-06-2011, 09:57 PM
I liked the change, made the game feel fresh. However, I would take Zubat over Boldore any day. Zubat I can at least one-hit ><

MoonKit
07-09-2011, 04:15 AM
I only really missed the uberpowerfulls such as Dragonite and Gyarados. I also missed my little Daycare slave, Ditto.

When I went into the caves for the first time, I was like "WOO NO MOAR ZEWBAT OR GEOWDEWD" until I found myself against a freaking Woobat. I hate the cave Pokemon. I was really happy when I ran into that Zebra once I got out, though ^.^

Battlestar
07-09-2011, 05:00 AM
I however wish there were more gift pokemon or "Sudowoodoo" type pokemon.

lucario3
07-20-2011, 07:39 PM
I however wish there were more gift pokemon or "Sudowoodoo" type pokemon.
I thought the overall new pokemon were awesome. Though I missed my favorite pokemon, Lucario, I could get it in Challenger's Cave. It's all about Volcarona in 5th Gen!!

Pickleboy
07-22-2011, 01:30 AM
It's all about Volcarona in 5th Gen!!

Maybe if your eyes were gouged out, than yeah, he could be.

This was still a good idea though. It was a wonderful attempt to force us to use their new designs. I knnow I had an epic time using my Unova team.

Teddiursa of the Sky
07-22-2011, 01:44 AM
No comment, fearing I may enrage the common folk.

Giratina
07-25-2011, 01:45 AM
It didn't sit well with me. It was an interesting concept, but I found myself missing having both new and old Pokémon on my team -- excluding the Dream World Pokémon, of course.

Teddiursa of the Sky
07-25-2011, 01:46 AM
Pretty much my feelings about it, Giratina. I found it nice that they put more effort in the story. They made it much more compelling than normal. I hope that continues.

Giratina
07-25-2011, 02:07 AM
The story was definitely more interesting -- but I do hope they find some better villains. Ghetsis (the only threatening, real villain) seems to get kind of pushed to the back burner by N, who has a serious problem in his distinct lack of personality of any kind.

EpicZekrom
08-18-2011, 10:46 PM
I thought so. I was glad to not run into a pokemon i caught hundreds of times like Geodude. At first though ti seemed harder for me. It did make it a bit hard at first with the first Gym making you face a Pokemon that was best agaiunst your Starter. Good think for panpour. (For me at least)

twistedspoon
08-18-2011, 11:02 PM
i still miss my lovely Zubats. Woobat just doesn't cut it. ;_;
but, yeah, it was pretty cool having strictly Unova Pokemon pre-national dex.

at first I hated the Unova Pokemon, but due to what they did this generation, i started loving them, and now they're pretty cool. <3

33Whimsicott33
10-03-2011, 03:15 AM
I was reminded of the time I started playing R/B in the first generation. The "oh hey, something appeared! I wonder what it does?" scenario- that uncertain and adventurous feeling- was constantly maintained throughout the game. I also noticed that this time they didn't litter the entire region with a bunch of commons and designate a few different rares in each location. Instead, they designated each Pokemon to only one or two locations in the entire region and always updated the roster for wilds, keeping something new for every next route. Except for Audino, but everyone loves to beat the stuffing out of it anyway.

Tasogares Red Mist
10-06-2011, 09:09 PM
I was reminded of the time I started playing R/B in the first generation. The "oh hey, something appeared! I wonder what it does?" scenario- that uncertain and adventurous feeling- was constantly maintained throughout the game. I also noticed that this time they didn't litter the entire region with a bunch of commons and designate a few different rares in each location. Instead, they designated each Pokemon to only one or two locations in the entire region and always updated the roster for wilds, keeping something new for every next route. Except for Audino, but everyone loves to beat the stuffing out of it anyway.

I agree with that ^.

But I still do dislike not having any of my older pokemon at all. I also like how involved Team Plasma was, and how often I fought my *cough* Rivals *cough*. That made it feel more believable, even if they were just fodder for my first slot pokemon lol.

Leveling was also extremely easy in this game, which I saw as a double-edged sword. It took the challenge away from the game almost entirely. Yet it was also better than grinding for untold amounts of hours against pokemon that gave only 10 percent of what Audino gave lol.

<3 Audino, papa's brand new punching bag.