PDA

View Full Version : Languages you know, are learning, or would like to learn!~

Pokémon Breeder Shane
07-14-2011, 04:30 AM
I'm attending college for English and Language so I thought why not? Any languages you know, are learning, or would like to learn?

Obviously I speak English
Parlo un po italiano.

I'm also learning Russian and Norwegian and obviously Italian

Operative
07-14-2011, 04:42 AM
I know English fluently, and I'd really like to learn my native language- Tagalog, and I'm determined to learn Korean as well.

Pokémon Breeder Shane
07-14-2011, 04:57 AM
I know English fluently, and I'd really like to learn my native language- Tagalog, and I'm determined to learn Korean as well.

Tagalog is such a pretty language. Korean seems like such a confusing looking language, but then again a lot of people say Hiragana and Katakana of the Japanese language look difficult

bobandbill
07-14-2011, 08:54 AM
I know Polish - I'm not great with it but I know enough to get by, really. I also know bits of Japanese but that's more in the way of karate-based instructions. XD

Phantom Kat
07-14-2011, 08:55 AM
I'm attending college for English and Language so I thought why not? Any languages you know, are learning, or would like to learn?

Obviously I speak English
Parlo un po italiano.

I'm also learning Russian and Norwegian and obviously Italian

My native language is (Mexican) Spanish, although my second language, English, is stronger due to being schooled in it since I was ten. Since this is essentially just the amount of advance vocabulary I know (as in, vocabulary outside every day conversations), I'm remedying this by reading and writing more.

I'm learning Finnish in my spare time. It's an extremely different language from English and Spanish, both in grammar and vocabulary, but that's what makes it interesting. I'm going to pick up German in college this upcoming Spring. Also, I want to learn a Scandinavian language (Norwegian, Swedish, or Danish) because not only are they very similar (and would make acquiring the others easier), but there's something in each of them that draws me:

Swedish - how melodic it sounds
Danish - its strange, alien pronunciation (though like English, it's not written as how it's pronounced, which is a turnoff.)
Norwegian - I can't put my finger on it; I think it's a combination of the two above.

ALSO (I have to stop myself, don't I?) I really want to learn Portuguese, particularly Brazilian Portuguese. With my Spanish, I can understand about 75 - 80% of Portuguese texts, but their pronunciation is so different that it's exotic. :D (I agree with one Brazilian that says it's like speaking your native language wrong.)

Oh, and as for Korean, unlike Chinese and Japanese (in some cases), Korean Hangul is an alphabet and not that difficult to read (and I'm guessing to write) once you study it. I heard that is Korean grammar that trips up people. Once person also commented that they have a lot of difficult hearing "word barriers" in Korean; they can pick up a couple of words when listening to Korean radio, dramas, etc. Personally, Korean doesn't really draw me, unlike Mandarin Chinese, Cantonese, Thai, and Japanese.

(If you want a confusion-looking language, take a look at Vietnamese (and Polish). All those diacritics can make your head spin.)

(Oh, but I would love to learn Polish. It's my favorite Slavic language. Croatian is pretty cool, too. Russian, eh, not that alluring. Czech is okay, as is Slovak. I haven't heard much Serbian, Bulgarian, Ukrainian, Serbo-Croatian, and Belorussian. Romanian is pretty Slavic-sounding even though it's a Romance language.)

- Kat

Teddiursa of the Sky
07-14-2011, 01:59 PM
Ich bin mir ziemlich sicher, es gibt noch andere themen, die gerade das bedeuten. Vielleicht in einem anderen thread posten.

Er. I mean. Ehehe... You can figure it out, neh? German and English are brothers when it comes to language. xD

Mageta
07-14-2011, 02:02 PM
Okay, English is my born language.

I took german in Primary School - Forget everything exept Good bye

Took Japanese for the 1st two years of Secondary school - Dropped out if it. - I Still know a bit

And I can speak Pokemon.

Gem N Ems
07-14-2011, 02:07 PM
I speaka da english. 8D

ICH BIN AWESOME.

Okay. But really, I know a bit of Indonesian, German and Italian as well. And some words in Japanese and Latin. But I'm not proficient in using them in any way. xD

Foxamivalth
07-14-2011, 02:11 PM
I know Indonesian and Cantonese.
I use English when need be, especially on a Forum (like this).
I understand what Malay speaks but dunno how to speak. Indonesian's and Malay's language are really alike.
I understand Chinese a little bit.

I'd like to learn Japanese. But the Grammar and Hiragana as well as Katakana are difficult to be understood.
Understanding other language will be good either.

Doodlebop
07-14-2011, 02:14 PM
I'll be honest, learning different languages is very hard for me. I'm not entirely positive why. Maybe I just don't have the patience, maybe I don't have the memory, or maybe I'm just plain dumb.

Anyway, I know english (more or less). I plan on learning Latin. I tried last year but it didn't really work so I'm going to have another go at it this year.

I think other languages are beautiful, but I'm not good at learning them.

Speed-X
07-14-2011, 03:11 PM
Learning new languages is always so interesting to me; even just learning about learning other languages.

Anyhow, English is obviously my native language, but I'm also learning Deutsch (German).

Though of course, everyone in all of my classes are giant idiots when it comes to pronunciation...they don't even try. *facepalm* Stupid highschoolers.

And watch me own them even more next year with pronunciations since I totally went to Germany (and other countries, too) for like two weeks. xD;
You have no idea how much going to the source of the language you're learning--or one of the sources, I suppose--really helps. It just...it just does, really.

Elecii
07-14-2011, 03:51 PM
I obviously know English (well, it's pretty obvious, and I'm from England so...), and I'm learning German currently in school. I learnt French for 4 years, but when I went to my new school I was put into a German class. I don't remember anything in French, though. I've had a few Spanish lessons, and learnt Japanese for a few months.

I really want to learn Japanese, and Korean. I also want to start learning French again, and learn Spanish.

I guess going to a language school helps, considering we have to learn 2 different languages.

I'm learning Spanish next year, actually.

Skylands
07-14-2011, 04:28 PM
Tomo español por 3 anos en escuela (I took Spanish for 3 years in school). I also know the glaringly obvious English.

Teddiursa of the Sky
07-14-2011, 11:45 PM
I'll be honest, learning different languages is very hard for me. I'm not entirely positive why. Maybe I just don't have the patience, maybe I don't have the memory, or maybe I'm just plain dumb.

Anyway, I know english (more or less). I plan on learning Latin. I tried last year but it didn't really work so I'm going to have another go at it this year.

I think other languages are beautiful, but I'm not good at learning them.

Sie konnen nicht deutsch sprechen. Das nervt! Es ist eine so schone sprache! Not really though. German is actually a very harsh and aggravating language xD All the throat sounds make it sound like Arabic xD

Shucklulz
07-15-2011, 01:29 AM
I speak English fluently and know some basic Spanish. I'm going to try to learn French and Italian eventually as well.

Teddiursa of the Sky
07-15-2011, 10:31 AM
Learning new languages is always so interesting to me; even just learning about learning other languages.

Anyhow, English is obviously my native language, but I'm also learning Deutsch (German).

Though of course, everyone in all of my classes are giant idiots when it comes to pronunciation...they don't even try. *facepalm* Stupid highschoolers.

And watch me own them even more next year with pronunciations since I totally went to Germany (and other countries, too) for like two weeks. xD;
You have no idea how much going to the source of the language you're learning--or one of the sources, I suppose--really helps. It just...it just does, really.

If you went to Germany, what do we Germans call it? :eh:

Jessu
07-15-2011, 05:15 PM
I obviously know English. xD

I used to know quite a bit of Spanish though! I took a couple of classes in my high school years and hung around a lot of Spanish-speaking people. Then stuff happened and I never got around to using Spanish so I forgot a lot of it. xD

I REALLY wanna learn Greek though, mostly because I'm 1/8th Greek and their history fascinates me. c: I've always loved studying about them.
I wanna learn a bit of Latin too. xD I know it's a dead language and really only used for scientific names anymore, but I still think it would be cool to know, especially to understand a lot of other languages since a good majority of them are derived from it.

Sixto
07-15-2011, 06:57 PM
Fluent English and Spanish.

Phantom Kat
07-15-2011, 09:39 PM
Sie konnen nicht deutsch sprechen. Das nervt! Es ist eine so schone sprache! Not really though. German is actually a very harsh and aggravating language xD All the throat sounds make it sound like Arabic xD

In my opinion, Dutch and Hebrew beats German in aggravating languages. ;) (That's what makes them awesome, though.)

- Kat

Teddiursa of the Sky
07-15-2011, 10:19 PM
In my opinion, Dutch and Hebrew beats German in aggravating languages. ;) (That's what makes them awesome, though.)

- Kat

I can speak a little Hebrew (some of my family is Jewish), it is pretty bad about throat sounds too xD

Dutch. Hm. I do not really sense much of a difference. Though, I have not met many Dutch people who actually speak their own language. Most speak English, and surprisingly well too.

Phantom Kat
07-15-2011, 11:11 PM
I can speak a little Hebrew (some of my family is Jewish), it is pretty bad about throat sounds too xD

Dutch. Hm. I do not really sense much of a difference. Though, I have not met many Dutch people who actually speak their own language. Most speak English, and surprisingly well too.

Cool. Hebrew is a very cool-sounding language? And really? I guess my interpretation of German and Dutch is different than yours since I speak neither. Yeah, in my opinion, Europeans are much better at acquiring languages, but I think that's because of their education system. For example, a lot of countries sub their TV shows instead of dubbing them, which makes acquiring English easier. Children also start English lessons in school much earlier than Americans with our foreign languages.

(I always hear that languages such as Finnish, Swedish, Danish, Norwegian, and Icelandic are useless to learn because many people in these countries know English pretty well for you to go right in and enjoy yourself.)

(I've always thought America doesn't take advantage of the fact that their citizens already know English. While other countries teach English to their children in school early, the US could take the opportunity to teach their children another language and get ahead of the game. Instead they wait until high school or middle school when elementary children pick up languages faster. It seems sad, really.)

/rant xD

- Kat

Teddiursa of the Sky
07-15-2011, 11:19 PM
Cool. Hebrew is a very cool-sounding language? And really? I guess my interpretation of German and Dutch is different than yours since I speak neither. Yeah, in my opinion, Europeans are much better at acquiring languages, but I think that's because of their education system. For example, a lot of countries sub their TV shows instead of dubbing them, which makes acquiring English easier. Children also start English lessons in school much earlier than Americans with our foreign languages.

(I always hear that languages such as Finnish, Swedish, Danish, Norwegian, and Icelandic are useless to learn because many people in these countries know English pretty well for you to go right in and enjoy yourself.)

(I've always thought America doesn't take advantage of the fact that their citizens already know English. While other countries teach English to their children in school early, the US could take the opportunity to teach their children another language and get ahead of the game. Instead they wait until high school or middle school when elementary children pick up languages faster. It seems sad, really.)

/rant xD

- Kat

Not only those countries, but most of Europe and the rest of the world. Asia, Europe, even parts of Africa learn English.

EVEN ENGLAND xD

But seriously. It is because of the U.S education system. They try to make learning "fun" and teachers do not truly care about their students. The Teacher's Unions make sure of that. But still, somehow, America continues to produce great things out of nothing. That is what the U.S is good at, neh?

Phantom Kat
07-15-2011, 11:32 PM
Not only those countries, but most of Europe and the rest of the world. Asia, Europe, even parts of Africa learn English.

EVEN ENGLAND xD

But seriously. It is because of the U.S education system. They try to make learning "fun" and teachers do not truly care about their students. The Teacher's Unions make sure of that. But still, somehow, America continues to produce great things out of nothing. That is what the U.S is good at, neh?

Oh, of course other countries teach English. However, not everybody attains the same level of fluency. When we came from Mexico, my sister, fourteen, knew no English. Even now, my cousin (same age) would not be able to hold a conversation in English despite the fact that they teach English in his school. In Taiwan, my sister was told by her husband to stay close to him because if she got lost, nobody would be able to help her find her way back.

- Kat

Teddiursa of the Sky
07-16-2011, 12:23 AM
Oh, of course other countries teach English. However, not everybody attains the same level of fluency. When we came from Mexico, my sister, fourteen, knew no English. Even now, my cousin (same age) would not be able to hold a conversation in English despite the fact that they teach English in his school. In Taiwan, my sister was told by her husband to stay close to him because if she got lost, nobody would be able to help her find her way back.

- Kat

Yes, but (no offense to your heritage), you have to keep in mind at what state Mexico is in.

Phantom Kat
07-16-2011, 05:04 AM
Yes, but (no offense to your heritage), you have to keep in mind at what state Mexico is in.

No offense taken. Actually, being Mexican, I know all too well what state it's in: cousins quitting jobs due to walking past where all the narcs make plans at night, tenants getting kidnapped and thus, not paying the rent to my mother, and so on. Also, not all of Mexico is like that; it's mostly the states that border the US (Tamaulipas, Nuevo Leon, etc.). Point is, though, when my sister attended school there, things were much safer and much less corrupted, and English still wasn't taught well enough for her to get by in school. Cousins who attended their entire school careers in this safe Mexico would be upper-beginner at best. Other countries who are a bit better off (China, Taiwan, Japan, etc.) don't have as many citizens fluent in English as in Europe. Of course, there are those in these countries that are fluent in English, but that's more on their part for wanting to learn English than on the education system.

I'm getting really off topic (sorry about that), so to get back on the subject of languages:

Do any of you guys study man-made languages, such as Esperanto and Interlingua? I've never been interested in them, but since I discovered Esperanto is more popular than I thought, I'm curious to check it out.

- Kat

Teddiursa of the Sky
07-16-2011, 10:42 AM
I know this has nothing to do with learning man-made languages (even though all languages are man-made xD)

I think it would be good for people to learn Chinese. While the Chinese do business in English, I think it would make them more comfortable and even pleased that you put forth the effort in learning their extensive language. It would definitely help in business deals in the future.

Daughter of Mew
07-17-2011, 07:58 AM
I know quite a lot of German, but I'm not confident with speaking it at all. Same thing with French. I've been learning them both for five years. I can write, understand and pronounce everything in both languages fine, but when I have to speak to people I get really nervous and forget everything. xD

I'm also currently learning Mandarin . The tones get me every time and I've not learned any symbols at the moment (sticking with pinyin for now kthx). Needless to say, it's going pretty slow.

I speak enough Hebrew to hold a veeeery basic conversation. However, that's to do with heritage. It's just something that's in our family.

YouLookLikeBread
07-17-2011, 08:07 AM
I know Hebrew, since I was born and raised and live in Israel.
I know Russian, basic Japanese, some German, Yiddish (don't ask), and obviously, English.

Professor Geoffrey
07-17-2011, 08:17 AM
I know English, and I am extremely knowledgeable of but still learning Latin. Nobody really "knows" Latin unless they can speak it conversationally...

I want to learn Japanese and Italian, and perhaps Korean.

~Professor Geoffrey

Teddiursa of the Sky
07-17-2011, 09:09 AM
I know quite a lot of German, but I'm not confident with speaking it at all. Same thing with French. I've been learning them both for five years. I can write, understand and pronounce everything in both languages fine, but when I have to speak to people I get really nervous and forget everything. xD

I'm also currently learning Mandarin . The tones get me every time and I've not learned any symbols at the moment (sticking with pinyin for now kthx). Needless to say, it's going pretty slow.

I speak enough Hebrew to hold a veeeery basic conversation. However, that's to do with heritage. It's just something that's in our family.

Wo bo hui shuo putonghua. As you can see, that is not Mandarin (had to reference my dad to even say that sentence xD). That sentence is Simplified Chinese. If you are wanting to type or write in Chinese, you will also have to learn that. xD

Kayden Javlaíakín
07-23-2011, 08:11 PM
Other than the obvious English, I've got about ten years of experience in Spanish, and I'm actually majoring in the language as well. Me encanta español la mayoría de las idiomas que estoy estudiando. Actually, about a year ago, I studied abroad in Costa Rica for a semester, and that helped with my fluency tremendously aside from just generally being a fantastic experience.

I've also been working on Japanese for two years or so, and am currently on track to minor in it. I can't speak very well yet at all, but I can read and write it for the most part. 私の日本語は良くない...

On the side, too, I've been sort of on-and-off studying Mandarin Chinese.

goldwynaut
01-29-2012, 04:29 PM
i know how to read, but not talk danish, and cuz danish is fairly similar to norwegian and swedish, i count that as 3 and spanish (i suck at that) so four languages i know:biggrin:

Flaming Compound
03-03-2012, 12:05 PM
I can fully speak English and Japanese.
私は完全に英語と日本語を話すことができます。

Ridley
03-04-2012, 03:25 AM
Fluent in English, obviously. I used to be fluent in Mandarin Chinese, but I forget most of it...

I also took two years each of Latin, Greek, and Japanese, but I'm no good at any of them.

Wo bo hui shuo putonghua. As you can see, that is not Mandarin (had to reference my dad to even say that sentence xD). That sentence is Simplified Chinese. If you are wanting to type or write in Chinese, you will also have to learn that. xD

Almost. Change bo to bu. Wo bu hui.

Also, what are you talking about, Simplified Chinese is still Mandarin...

Teddiursa of the Sky
03-04-2012, 11:51 AM
Also, what are you talking about, Simplified Chinese is still Mandarin...

Simplified is optimized for typing.

Ridley
03-04-2012, 02:05 PM
I assume you're saying that the english letters are what Simplified Chinese is?
Simplified Chinese still uses characters, not english letters. All that Simplified means is that some of the more complicated characters are changed and use fewer strokes.

English letters: Wo bu hui shuo putonghua.
Simplified Chinese: 我不会讲普通话
Traditional Chinese: 我不會講普通話

Phantom Kat
03-11-2012, 08:24 AM
Just wanted to add to what Ridley said to clear any confusion:

Simplified Chinese: used in China and Chinese-schools in Indonesia
Traditional Chinese: used in Taiwan

As for phonetic systems, China has the Pin-Yin system while Taiwan uses the zhuyin system, or more widely known as the "bopomofo" system. Pin-Yin uses roman letters while bopomofo uses 37 characters and four tone marks.

- Kat

thuy
03-19-2012, 04:15 PM
using japanese fluently is my wish. it is very important in my work. I have been learning japanese to improve my skills.

Latisiblings
03-20-2012, 10:39 AM
Korean is my native language, but I'm equally fluent in English- living abroad in Canada for 3 1/2 years can do that to you. Since Traditional Chinese is pretty important and useful for being a Korean, I can understand the characters really well- but can't read it in Chinese, unfortunately. (Does that sound complicated? It is.)

I used to learn French in my Canadian school, but I forgot most of it- would love to resume learning it, though. Other than that, Japanese and Spanish are two languages that interest me, and I hope to learn them someday.