PDA

View Full Version : World's longest word:: way over 9000!

Peace Buyer
07-24-2011, 03:38 AM
So yeah, I've been being a epic nerd lately and look what I've uncovered, the world longest word has over 189000 characters and here it is, they have a youtube video of a robot saying : its way to long for a person to remember....

Here it is! Titin (http://www.sarahmcculloch.com/luminaryuprise/longest-word.php)

Graceful_Suicune
07-24-2011, 03:54 AM
I've seen this before, when I googled the longest word.

But that's fairly ridiculous. I mean, it's a chemical name that some scientist with a sense of humour no doubt made up. xD I prefer to know the longest word as antidisestablishmentarianism. :3

~GS.

Peace Buyer
07-24-2011, 03:59 AM
I prefer to know the longest word as antidisestablishmentarianism. :3

~GS.

Ahh that's where your wrong my dear GS, everyone knows the longest word that can be said in one sitting and breath would have to be Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious.

TheEvilDookie
07-24-2011, 04:00 AM
What kind of science troll does that to humanity?..

Lusankya
07-24-2011, 04:07 AM
Well, it's a little more complicated. See, certain chemical components have a sound assigned to them. Thus, a "chemical name" is merely chaining of the sounds assigned to its chemical components. Because of that, chemical names can be of indefinite length. You could, for example, say the chemical name an entire chromosome (which is, I believe, a single molecule), and it would likely be longer than what's up there. Chemical formulas are really of an arbitrary length and I don't think they should be considered in the running for the longest word.

Peace Buyer
07-24-2011, 04:15 AM
I get what you mean but in retrospect, its still counted as a word and that's something us non-scientific-trolls can't help...

goldwynaut
01-31-2012, 11:09 AM
aiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh!!!! its over 9000!!! and i though that Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateapokaiwhenuakit anatahu was long LOL

goldwynaut
01-31-2012, 11:15 AM
Find five differences LOL

Socratic Sarcasm
02-02-2012, 12:30 AM
The longest word in the English dictionary is pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanokoniosis at 45 letters. An 8 year old I know knows that.

Two things: the "word" in question is defined (no pun intended) as a chemical formula, not a word. And second, the formula in question is 189819 letters long.

Teddiursa of the Sky
02-02-2012, 03:02 PM
The longest word in the English dictionary is pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanokoniosis at 45 letters. An 8 year old I know knows that.

Two things: the "word" in question is defined (no pun intended) as a chemical formula, not a word. And second, the formula in question is 189819 letters long.

I trust you counted all those out and aren't looking this up on Wikipedia? ;)

Socratic Sarcasm
02-09-2012, 09:02 PM
I trust you counted all those out and aren't looking this up on Wikipedia? ;)

Oh yes, most definitely. I also have nothing better to do with my time and am most certainly NOT using sarcasm right now.