PDA

View Full Version : An Ambitious Noob seeks Assistance...

justinarose
07-30-2011, 04:43 AM
Hey guys, I am kinda new to the whole IV and EV thing, but I'm trying to master it. :)

I recently acquired a metagross through breeding with an adamant nature with these IVs:
HP 31
ATK 31
DEF 31
Sp.A 15
Sp.D 17
SPD 29

Are these good enough for competitive battling? I don't know how to make them better since they can only inherit 3 stats from parents, which were, as you can see, HP, Attack and Defence. So, how can they get better?

Also, how do you un-EV in Gen V?? In previous ones I would use the un-EV berries (tomato, kelpsey etc...) but they aren't in this game. I want to add more HP EVs to my metagross.

Finally, about his move set, I can't get thunder punch or fire punch (or is it flame punch... anyways) you used to be able to get them tutored in the battle frontier. I really want some moves like that to add some variety to his set. There doesn't seem to be any possible way to get these moves in gen V.

If you more experienced people out there could give me a hand in any way I would REALLY appreciate it!

Thanks!

Pokemon Trainer Sarah
07-30-2011, 06:00 AM
They can't really get better than that I don't think. You just have to be lucky with the other stats you can't pass on.

The Ev-reducing berries are still available but only through the Global Link Dream World. If you have Wi-Fi you can connect to that and get some. =)

From what I can see, there isn't a way to get those moves in 5th gen right now, save for rebreeding the Metagross in a 4th gen game, using a tutor on that game to get the move and then transferring it to 5th gen.

When the third 5th gen game is released there'll probably be some kind of battle area with move tutors, but until then, you're right, it doesn't seem possible.

justinarose
07-30-2011, 10:44 PM
thanks for that!

aside from thunder punch, are there any other moves I could use to add some variety to his set? currently he knows:
earthquake
iron defence
meteor mash
brick break

thanks again!

3m0d0ll
07-31-2011, 12:06 AM
Mine knows Rock Polish, Ice Punch, Iron Head, and EQ, if that helps any. :P

Idk how IVs work other than that 31 is the max, so you're good there. If you want one of the elemental punches, trade Meta over to your DPPt game, teach him, then trade back. That should work.

justinarose
07-31-2011, 01:09 AM
Unfortunately the problem is that metagross is on my pokemon white game, so I can't teach him any of the punches, or iron head, like you suggested. I just wish there was a way on this gen, or a way to send stuff back to gen iv.

Mr420
07-31-2011, 05:55 AM
breeding for IVs is a hit & miss and requires alot of patience.
and yes your current IVs are better than suffice for compttv battling

to begin you may or may not get better IVs than you already have. IMO the IVs you currently have are good.

BUT for example you can also better your speed IVs if thats is what you seek.
HOW?
say you're breeding with a ditto or something for eggmoves.

the current metagross you have you should have hold a Power Bracer that will ensure your IVs in ATK get passed down.

your other parant say they have 31 IVs in SPEED have it hold a Power Anklet to ensure your Speed IVs get inheried.

your other random IVs will get passed on, so heres to hoping you get what you want..

Etymology
07-31-2011, 12:16 PM
breeding for IVs is a hit & miss and requires alot of patience.
and yes your current IVs are better than suffice for compttv battling

to begin you may or may not get better IVs than you already have. IMO the IVs you currently have are good.

BUT for example you can also better your speed IVs if thats is what you seek.
HOW?
say you're breeding with a ditto or something for eggmoves.

the current metagross you have you should have hold a Power Bracer that will ensure your IVs in ATK get passed down.

your other parant say they have 31 IVs in SPEED have it hold a Power Anklet to ensure your Speed IVs get inheried.

your other random IVs will get passed on, so heres to hoping you get what you want..

A bit of a mistake here, if both parents hold a Power item only one will get passed down.

Mr420
07-31-2011, 08:09 PM
A bit of a mistake here, if both parents hold a Power item only one will get passed down.

lol ok you got me there i did fail to mention that yes the inherrited IVs will be pertaining to the corresponding Power item but the OP hasnt mentioned himself which IVs he's shooting for so ina general way i just assumed he's looking for Speed IVs and pass down the ATK IVs which he already has as flawless ATK IVs

but in this same case his Meta has three 31 IVS which with patience he may or may not pass down (as i mentioned) it can happen its not a deal breaker but like Jejunator said once you attached said power items
the game hones in on that...