PDA

View Full Version : Do you believe in the undead?

Temporal Diamond
09-24-2011, 02:44 PM
As the title says.

I don't and I will not unless I encounter one of the type myself. So far my relation with the undead has only been through tales and folklore etcetera. I don't believe in ghosts or zombies, and I certainly don't have the faintest idea that vampires and/or werewolves exist.

Do you have any theories relevant to the undead? Have you had any past experiences/encounters with the undead? If you do, feel free to share it with us. If you find it scary to recount the memory, its okay.

[And no I'm not in the Halloween mood for ghost stories. XD]

Teddiursa of the Sky
09-24-2011, 03:03 PM
I think that a viral infection for what we would presumably call zombies is the most probable cause, and even that won't happen, so no.

Temporal Diamond
09-24-2011, 03:10 PM
You reminded me of some movie, which title I forgot. Some 'Legend' if I'm not wrong. The only 'zombie' I've come across is the sort of humans who don't get enough sleep. XP

MoonKit
09-24-2011, 03:10 PM
-Halloween story about masked chainsaw ghost here-

I believe in ghosts, not Zombies. Zombies are just...weird. I honestly swear that all of my animated toys (Furbe, Fur Real Friends parrot, etc.) are somewhat haunted. Honestly, though it was Halloween, my parrot once said "-bleep- you" when it wasn't on and its not even supposed to say that. And I mean my fur real friend, I don't own a parrot.

My Fyrbee blinked and said "Cockle doodle doo!" when it was off, and its not meant to do that.

Vampires and wherewolves are just little things we like to pretend are alive, though whenever I get a cut I normally lick it before putting any random stuff on it, and I hate the sun, but that has nothing to do with this (IM NOT AFRAID OF ONIONZ)

EDIT: Actually, I've seen a fake zombie. My friend didnt get enough sleep and they were sick, so their face seemed somewhat green xD

Temporal Diamond
09-24-2011, 03:35 PM
-Halloween story about masked chainsaw ghost here-

I believe in ghosts, not Zombies. Zombies are just...weird. I honestly swear that all of my animated toys (Furbe, Fur Real Friends parrot, etc.) are somewhat haunted. Honestly, though it was Halloween, my parrot once said "-bleep- you" when it wasn't on and its not even supposed to say that. And I mean my fur real friend, I don't own a parrot.

My Fyrbee blinked and said "Cockle doodle doo!" when it was off, and its not meant to do that.

Vampires and wherewolves are just little things we like to pretend are alive, though whenever I get a cut I normally lick it before putting any random stuff on it, and I hate the sun, but that has nothing to do with this (IM NOT AFRAID OF ONIONZ)

EDIT: Actually, I've seen a fake zombie. My friend didnt get enough sleep and they were sick, so their face seemed somewhat green xD
Are you sure the toys weren't faulty or glitchy or anything? (What am I asking, I supposed you'd have checked right then?) And was it really "-bleep- you"? I didn't know ghosts could be that vulgar. =o

I might have seen signs of the supernatural. Shifting shadows from nowhere (nothing around to have caused them). A portrait dropped and hit my younger sister on the head while we were at our grandmother's house. At the next day, my grandmother was admitted to hospital. (She's now deceased. Rest her soul.) I got called by a friend's number which hung up when I answered it. When I called back again, she said she hadn't called me at all as she was busy outdoors. So yeah, somewhat creepy. x~x

Teddiursa of the Sky
09-24-2011, 03:43 PM
Shadows shift because the wind blows and the sun moves.

The painting fell because gravity pulled on it.

The friend might have wanted to tell you something, but thought otherwise, or maybe someone else at the home may have called you by mistake.

See? There are more believable logical answers than there are for floating ghosts and such. =)

Lusankya
09-24-2011, 04:12 PM
http://www.the-atlantic-paranormal-society.com/articles/general/infrasound.html

Somewhat relevant. Infrasound (sounds below the human range of hearing) can, for whatever reason, inspire feelings of fear and awe in humans that are often associated with supernatural activity. A lot of famous "haunted" mansions and such have actually been found to have infrasound waves in them. Of course, you could argue that infrasound summons ghosts, and naturally this doesn't explain ALL ghost sightings or feelings of being haunted, but I found it interesting.

Exophi
09-24-2011, 05:22 PM
There are stories including zombies that go back five thousand years ago, and an army of zombies is even featured in the slightly more recent Old Testament. Of the bible.

Blood-sucking creatures such as vampires have been featured in cultures across the world before written records were kept. Several pieces of ancient pottery have been found with them on 'em.

That said, I think the stories were likely just created by ancient people as an answer for some question that has been long forgotten. Like how witchcraft used to be blamed for the spreading of illness in a household, even when its members never came into direct contact with the sick. It's sort of like where they put the blame on witches for causing misfortune, but in this case they cast the blame on a dead person (which is a lot easier since they can't defend themselves).

My opinion is that there are forces in this world that we can't explain.

EDIT: However, I have had a few odd occurrences over my life.

Most of the personal experiences I've had took place at my old house (which incidentally was actually built right next to an indian burial site (and whomever came up with the idea to start construction there is was clearly not very genre savvy)). I've had almost every door in the house slam on me at some point in time, despite their being no air circulating.

I've also propped a door open with an axe to go under our deck to retrieve something, only to realize the room was getting darker. Door closed on me, surrounded by a maze of useless junk (and spiders), and when I finally escaped I discover the axe lying a few yards away from where I used it to hold open the door. I was at the home alone at the time.

Lightbulb also burst into flame once while I was walking under it, but I'd like to believe that that was caused by something wrong with the bulb. The idea of a spirit trying to get molten lightbulb stuff on me is not appealing.

List is by no means complete, and spookier stuff has happened to me outside that place.

Lord Fedora
09-24-2011, 07:47 PM
I do believe in ghosts. I've shared my encounters with them a number of times in various places, don't feel like doing it again.

Vampires and werewolves don't exist of course. How silly would it be for someone to believe in those things? *hides stakes and handgun loaded with silver bullets*

As for zombies, well, Cracked has something to say about it. (http://www.cracked.com/article_15643_5-scientific-reasons-zombie-apocalypse-could-actually-happen.html) Fortunately, it's doomed to fail. (http://www.cracked.com/article_18683_7-scientific-reasons-zombie-outbreak-would-fail-quickly.html)

Teddiursa of the Sky
09-24-2011, 10:36 PM
I do believe in ghosts. I've shared my encounters with them a number of times in various places, don't feel like doing it again.

Vampires and werewolves don't exist of course. How silly would it be for someone to believe in those things? *hides stakes and handgun loaded with silver bullets*

As for zombies, well, Cracked has something to say about it. (http://www.cracked.com/article_15643_5-scientific-reasons-zombie-apocalypse-could-actually-happen.html) Fortunately, it's doomed to fail. (http://www.cracked.com/article_18683_7-scientific-reasons-zombie-outbreak-would-fail-quickly.html)

I lol'ed so hard at that Cracked article. xDDD

Orthar
09-24-2011, 10:37 PM
There are stories including zombies that go back five thousand years ago, and an army of zombies is even featured in the slightly more recent Old Testament. Of the bible.

I'm confused--are you using this as evidence to support a claim of their existence?

Exophi
09-24-2011, 11:25 PM
I'm confused--are you using this as evidence to support a claim of their existence?

Not at all, I am merely bringing up the fact that the idea of zombies has been present in human societies for a very long time. I don't take the examples in The Bible or in the Epic of Gilgamesh as fact any more than I would one of Romero's living dead flicks.

Teddiursa of the Sky
09-24-2011, 11:42 PM
Not at all, I am merely bringing up the fact that the idea of zombies has been present in human societies for a very long time. I don't take the examples in The Bible or in the Epic of Gilgamesh as fact any more than I would one of Romero's living dead flicks.

Hay now. Romero's movies are educational. :wink:

Lusankya
09-25-2011, 05:21 AM

That plus the other Cracked article reminded me of this (http://www.cracked.com/article_16429_5-superpowers-from-bible-that-put-marvel-dc-to-shame.html) article.

Temporal Diamond
09-25-2011, 07:46 AM
Shadows shift because the wind blows and the sun moves.

The painting fell because gravity pulled on it.

The friend might have wanted to tell you something, but thought otherwise, or maybe someone else at the home may have called you by mistake.

See? There are more believable logical answers than there are for floating ghosts and such. =)
But there was nothing, no object around to have made any shadows. Except mine.

The painting is stuffed at the back of a shelf(I forgot to mention). I initially thought so that it was just gravity until the chambermaid told me that the painting together with others were neatly placed so if one were to fall, wouldn't the rest follow suit like dominoes?

Perhaps, but only she has my number, I don't see how her parents might've gotten my number(unless they're stalkers xO) and she insists so I'll have to take her word for it. :|

Reading the article made me thought I had toxio-blablablah XD. RUN AWAY FROM ME!! XD

Teddiursa of the Sky
09-25-2011, 08:03 AM
But there was nothing, no object around to have made any shadows. Except mine.

The painting is stuffed at the back of a shelf(I forgot to mention). I initially thought so that it was just gravity until the chambermaid told me that the painting together with others were neatly placed so if one were to fall, wouldn't the rest follow suit like dominoes?

Perhaps, but only she has my number, I don't see how her parents might've gotten my number(unless they're stalkers xO) and she insists so I'll have to take her word for it. :|

Light reflects and refracts at different angles making objects that are very far away or seem to not even be in the room with you have shadows.

The painting could have easily fallen at an angle due to the way it was positioned. Or, another possibility is that somebody could have bumped into it.

Chambermaid xD

Speed dial, honey. Speed dial.

Assaundrell Yumerai
09-25-2011, 09:04 AM
Well, I think I don't unless I meet one :goofy:
But as far as I remember, there was a National Geographic episode about necromancy, which upon saying some incantations, the dead corpse will move a bit without touching it, it also made we wonder a lot(^^)

MrPolarZero
10-18-2011, 01:22 PM
No, but I believe in ghost.

MoonKit
10-18-2011, 02:02 PM
A zombie is a person who hasn't gotten any sleep and has many cuts and bruises.

Look out, I'm one of them.

Teddiursa of the Sky
10-22-2011, 09:52 PM
No, but I believe in ghost.

Ghost, spirit, zombie. All the same wishful thinking that a person develops. It is human nature to hope that there is life after death, no matter how horrible that eternal existence may be. I do not view it as a weakness, for I empathize and relate to those people, but I recognize it all the same.

Princess_Eevee9
10-23-2011, 12:17 AM
Ghost, spirit, zombie. All the same wishful thinking that a person develops. It is human nature to hope that there is life after death, no matter how horrible that eternal existence may be. I do not view it as a weakness, for I empathize and relate to those people, but I recognize it all the same.
I hope I'm not being mean here but I kinda people that the living dead exist they are called anorexic people! Also Love your Avi+Sig I'm a fan as well!

Teddiursa of the Sky
11-02-2011, 08:31 PM
I hope I'm not being mean here but I kinda people that the living dead exist they are called anorexic people! Also Love your Avi+Sig I'm a fan as well!

Thank you, thank you. 8D

Sixto
11-02-2011, 11:11 PM
Nope. But I've been obsessed with everything zombie-related lately. XD

lovecat
11-14-2011, 04:10 AM
I definitely believe that ghosts and vampires exist, as far as zombies go... No. I mean, rotting walking dead people just sounds like a gross variation of a vampire.

Daze
11-22-2011, 04:39 PM
Not really, I think that this idea can happen in the future,but now it doesn't.
After all, "escaping" death is what mankind have dreamed through all of the eternity.