PDA

View Full Version : When and why do you use correct grammar/spelling online?

Fushigidane
05-06-2012, 01:13 PM
As the title says. I try to use correct grammar and spelling on forums all the time, unless I'm trolling and acting nooby. If I make a single mistake, I usually edit the post and fix it. On chat stuff, I usually type without capitals, SOMETIMES making words easier type (Like your to ur), but I try to spell correctly. If I spell something wrong, I usually correct it in another message.

On forums, I usually judge people on how smart they are by their grammar/spelling, unless the person seems smart. On chat, I don't really care how their grammar/spelling is, because 1. I don't use good grammar and 2. It's "instant" messaging for a reason.

Pokemon Trainer Sarah
05-07-2012, 12:31 AM
On forums, websites, emails and such I always try to type with proper grammar and spelling. I hate 'chat speak' and I agree it makes people look kinda dumb so I never use it. On IM programs, I tend to mimic whoever I'm speaking to in regards to being casual (no capitalisation, emoticons, limited punctuation) or formal (no emoticons, correct grammar/capitalisation). I don't know why, just a habit I guess! xD

Shozuka
05-07-2012, 12:40 AM
Meh, it actually depends on my mood. I type with proper spelling/grammar when I'm not too lazy. ^_^;;

However 90% of the time I IM, my grammar is crappy.

LS
05-07-2012, 04:08 AM
I dont use correct grammar and spelling most of the time. If it's something "official" or anything like that is then I go serious mode.

Tbh, As long as it's readable and make sense, it's all cool.

If u t4lk l1k3 th1s is just badbadbad

Saraibre Ryu
05-07-2012, 05:17 AM
A girl in my grad class said this:

"It's so hard to write an essay, I'm so used to msn chat."

I honestly heddesk at that. It only fortified my morale of always using proper sentences and grammar as I would in real life. I feel that chat speak and leet speak degrade on the literative ability of people, as shown by that statement above.

As for grammar, sure not using it properly to make a oke or use a meme, I'm cool with that, and things such as 'BRB' or 'LOL' I'm alright with, I mean everyone uses it sometimes. However replacing whole words with a letter and a number...no I like my spelling. ><

Instant Messaging to me is that messages get there instantly. No where does that mean to lower my abilities in [my particular case] english.

Ali the Dark One
05-07-2012, 05:33 AM
I apply correct grammar and spelling to what I post online in as many situations as I can. Whether it be on Facebook, forums, or even text messages, I always attempt to portray myself as a professional.

I will note that anyone who has ever engaged me in chat more than twice and forced me to respond as quickly as possible is now rolling on the floor in a bout of laughter.

Sue me.

-- Ali Al-Karam

fortomorrow
05-07-2012, 08:07 AM
I always try my best to keep the grammer and words right, but sometimes I still make some mistakes.

Fushigidane
05-07-2012, 01:02 PM
A girl in my grad class said this:

"It's so hard to write an essay, I'm so used to msn chat.".
I lol'd. Too much internet. xD

Shiny Ditto
05-09-2012, 12:40 AM
About two years ago, I typed without capitalization or punctuation mainly because I was a noob to the internet and didn't care how I spell. But I realized people didn't like improper grammar, so I started typing normally. Now I'm a Grammar Nazi. :P

But on something like Facebook, I usually type normally, though sometimes I don't put punctuation. Just on Facebook though. And even then it's only in chat, not in wall posts.

Typhlosion Explosion
05-09-2012, 02:11 AM
I always use formal! I always do my best when it comes to grammar, so I can look professional!

Pokemon_Ron
05-09-2012, 03:38 AM
Typing without proper grammar and punctuation just makes you seem dumb in the end. I prefer for my post to be clean and neat. Know what I mean? :wink:

Shucklulz
05-09-2012, 08:02 AM
It depends on the situation for me. If I'm being silly/on a website where nobody cares about grammar/in an IM with someone I'll use proper punctuation and capitalization very irregularly (if at all).

But on sites where people do generally tend to care about grammar/spelling (like here) I do my best to remember the details of English syntax when making a post. I usually apply that to Facebook as well, just because I can. :P

I do always try to spell everything correctly regardless of the situation, but I often fail when spell check isn't handy.

HKim
05-12-2012, 01:24 AM
Since we can't see each other face to face, proper punctuation is necessary for clear and understandable communication. There is less of a chance for misinterpretation if you use the correct grammar and spelling. Problems can be avoided that way.

Additionally, and similarly, since people cannot see you, they judge you based on what you say and how you say it. Your writing style becomes a part of who you are to others.

Swampert Guy
05-12-2012, 02:12 PM
It depends on the chat, I like use correct grammar/spelling, but sometimes I avoid them to make the phrase more "cute". :biggrin:

Sure the way you spell may interfers on your learning, so it's better you always spell correctly to get used to the correct way.

Socratic Sarcasm
05-12-2012, 03:54 PM
All the time, unless I miss something or make a typo that would be a pain to correct. It is important to have accuracy and precision in language.

Checkmate
06-18-2012, 03:46 AM
Why wouldn't you write to your best abilities online? Sure, avatars and cute little cliches in your signature are cool, but it's what you post that leaves the biggest mark man, and in any case, grammatical ineptitude will always make you look like a jackass.

TARDIS
06-28-2012, 12:16 AM
I use proper grammar as best as I can because it helps develop good habits offline.

Can you imagine turning in a job app in internet slang? Hi, my name is B0B nd i'm applng 4 ur job. can u plez help me? i no im a n00b at swpng fl4s but i culd use mah l8zrs on th dust bunnehs.

FrozenChaos
07-02-2012, 12:09 AM
I try to use correct grammar and spelling because I don't want to look stupid. >_< Sometimes if I get lazy, I'll just not put apostrophes. That's my bad online grammar. I'm just really silly and take proper spelling and grammar to a new level. @___e;

MoonKit
07-06-2012, 05:43 PM
I use somewhat correct grammar online because, for one thing, I'm a writer (to an extent) and writers are kind of expected to have ok-grammar and not be like 'o luk u mad e a funnee' rather like, if anything 'lol' or 'Hah' or something like that, if someone made a joke for instance.

The one thing I dont normally do is, as I just showed, I dont put the apostrophe in dont, cant, etc. I dont do it normally, at least, because Im not used to doing it. I do it while Im writing, however, and sometimes swich from not doing it to doing it in the middle of a sentence.

miyoun
07-06-2012, 08:08 PM
i type "normally" i just don't have a use for caps. it's a forum, it's laid back not formal.
same with twitter. in texts i write well because usually i text my mum and my phone has autocorrect.

i misspell a lot but i don't fix it

Ridley
07-10-2012, 04:15 AM
If I'm posting on a forum or on Facebook or something similar, I'll try to make it look neat. And I use capitalization and punctuation when I text.

but if i'm in an instant messenger or chatting on a game i might forgo caps and punctuation for the speed

3m0d0ll
07-18-2012, 11:56 PM
I use it because I enjoy the way it looks. It's clean and easy to understand (unless I write a run-on sentence,creating an excess amount of commas, which I do often). Though I'm not a "verb-noun agreement" type of Grammar Nazi, I do correct punctuation and things in the like. I'm also a pretty shiet speller, which I why I hardly Skype with people (my Skype doesn't have spellchecker). P;

I only use incorrect grammar when it'll add to the tone/atmosphere/humor of what I'm trying to say, or if I'm trying to be cute. Like, sometimes when I'm talking to my boyfriend, I'll say,"I on compuuder, sowwy I responding slow. :c" or something.

Ironic how I hate it when people use the incorrect form of their/there/they're, but I love Dolan.