PDA

View Full Version : Is English your first language?

Swampert Guy
05-12-2012, 02:11 PM
Well, mine isn't. My first language is Portuguese, I live in Brazil.

As it's noticeable the forum is totally in English, but this doesn't mean it's your main language. If it isn't, what is?

Machampion
05-12-2012, 11:38 PM
English is my first language and I speak it the most fluently, living in the US.

Japanese is my second language, I use it for anime boards that are worldwide and usually require two popular languages so your not a sitting duck.

Spanish is my third language and I got taught in school how to say a lot of things in Spanish, I live in a area where there are a lot of Spanish people so I do find it useful and it also helped me get by customer service at work.

Chinese is my fourth language, regardless online or offline I don't find people who speak Chinese that often. Maybe its just me...

French is my fifth language, I have not seen many instances where I need to use french but I have ran across maybe four posts online that I needed french so I could reply to it.

I am currently learning Hebrew and hope to be able to speak fluently by maybe the time we go back to school in September, if not then by next year. I also live in a area where I find a lot of Jewish people, so it'll be nice to be able to communicate with them more in-depth.

Eternal Moonlight
05-13-2012, 12:09 AM
@:The Pokemon Ninja: Oh wow! You're lucky to know such a variety of languages!

English is not my first language, that would be French. However, because of my location in Canada, I find myself using the former a lot more (not counting university, which I'm taking in French).

Wish I could speak more though, once I'm done with university, I'll probably invest in language classes or something ^^

Assaundrell Yumerai
05-13-2012, 03:47 AM
Well, since I live in Philippines, my mother tongue is Filipino.
But we prioritize English most of the time, as our secondary language.
And also Japanese because of that Pokemon Event in Japan (really have to learn it) (^^)

Ali the Dark One
05-13-2012, 06:45 AM
I started out with both English and Spanish; I'm in California so I generally use more English than Spanish, but there are still a good amount of chances for me to use it over here.

When I moved over to Dubai, I took an Arabic class, but I never learned enough to be fluent or even conversational with it. Also, pretty much everyone in Dubai speaks English. :P

I figure that I should try to learn Mandarin, Japanese, and Arabic for my career (I'm a business student). Something to do over Summer, eh?

-- Ali Al-Karam

The Doctor
05-14-2012, 01:22 AM
Mainly started out with mainly English but later on, I soon learned a lot more Spanish. But my English is way superior over my Spanish any day. Then again, it's probably since I grew up living in the U.S. ;^^

~The Doctor

Swampert Guy
05-14-2012, 03:08 PM
English is my first language and I speak it the most fluently, living in the US.

Japanese is my second language, I use it for anime boards that are worldwide and usually require two popular languages so your not a sitting duck.

Spanish is my third language and I got taught in school how to say a lot of things in Spanish, I live in a area where there are a lot of Spanish people so I do find it useful and it also helped me get by customer service at work.

Chinese is my fourth language, regardless online or offline I don't find people who speak Chinese that often. Maybe its just me...

French is my fifth language, I have not seen many instances where I need to use french but I have ran across maybe four posts online that I needed french so I could reply to it.

I am currently learning Hebrew and hope to be able to speak fluently by maybe the time we go back to school in September, if not then by next year. I also live in a area where I find a lot of Jewish people, so it'll be nice to be able to communicate with them more in-depth.

Woowww! Fantastic!

goldwynaut
05-14-2012, 03:50 PM
ˇengland is my 1nd languag, i talk england al the time i talk!

Typhlosion Explosion
05-14-2012, 11:18 PM
I take Spanish class, and I'm pretty good in simple things, but English is my dominant language. c:

Neku Sakuraba
05-15-2012, 12:43 AM
English IS my first language, but does ASL count, too? If so, that's my second language xD

Phantom0990
05-15-2012, 06:22 AM
It is, but I also speak Polish and Spanish.

goldwynaut
05-15-2012, 07:12 AM
in that case, i also speak danish (poorly):oops:

Judge Dredd
05-15-2012, 02:08 PM
English IS my first language, but does ASL count, too? If so, that's my second language xD

it counts to me, ive been trying to learn it.

brandon_g
05-15-2012, 09:41 PM
English is my main language... Spanish I only speak like 10 to 15 words.

Phantom Kat
05-17-2012, 06:31 AM
Spanish is my first language, but since I live in the United States, my English is dominant in both usage and knowledge.

I like learning Finnish in my spare time, and I have taken a semester of German.

- Kat

LS
05-17-2012, 07:12 AM
Arabic is my first language, followed closely by English. I used to know French but that slowly vanished over time due to lack of use.

Seventh Sentinel
05-17-2012, 03:17 PM
It's my only language.

Still haven't found a decent way of learning new ones.