PDA

View Full Version : Thank you for holding this up.

espeorb
10-18-2012, 06:13 AM
A message to the admins, the community and whoever else may visit this site:

No one knows who I am. I signed up to this community when I was twelve years old. It was literally one of the first times I'd used a computer - back in 2005 I had an old, rickety desktop with Windows ME (not even XP!) on it. I was a huuuuuge Pokemon fan when I was a kid, and I remember the joy it brought me sneaking gameboys and link cables into school. That's why I joined up originally: to talk more about my favorite video game. Pretty simple.

Looking back on these old posts, it's funny how a lot of the stuff I did would foreshadow future events. I tried my hand at absolutely horrible art with no background except my will to create (http://img460.imageshack.us/img460/2082/fusionbannercopydt1.png), and six years later I looked down at a pencil and decided I wanted to learn to draw (http://i.imgur.com/JuYyK.png). I have a long way to go, but I'm studying every day.

I think I actually joined this right when I'd started middle school proper. Since then, I've:

-Become a homeschooler
-Learned to program in two languages
-Gained a best friend of four years on the other side of the country who I went to see this summer
-Had a love, lost a love
-Graduated high school
-Finished multiple semesters of college early while working toward my degree in Information Systems Analysis
-Worked an hour a day for a year on art skills
-Written sprawling, hundred-page stories based on, of course, video games :redface:
-Gained a job, a car, saved up to move out on my own
-And, finally, found a link to this old forum today.

In a way, it's almost haunting. In France, there's cave paintings created by some manner of humanoid thousands of years ago. The things they wrote and drew - no, posted - on their walls are the only memory we have of them today.

Similarly, my twelve year old self still exists here in a sort of mellow stasis. The Internet is the world's largest locker for time capsules, and this forum is the oldest time capsule I have. So I just want to thank the community for keeping it alive and kicking, and for helping foster my love for the fantastic world of video games and technology. Thank you, everyone.

-Espeorb

Sealboy
10-18-2012, 06:39 AM
Wow, I'd never thought of Pe2k, let alone the internet, as a time capsule before...

Pe2k isn't as active as it used to, but I can guarantee the members of this community will continue to keep it active and the gears still grinding! *salutes*

Wow, you certainly have improved in your art skills! Are you, by any chance, going into Video Game Design? (the picture looks so much like a game :O)

I'm glad that Pe2k can do things like this - keeping the embodiment on your old self alive and kicking in the archives of the website. I hope that I, too, can say the same in the next couple of years (although I'd like to avoid looking at my old posts - I was such a noob and not a nice person ._.).

Are you planning to hang around at all? :)

~Sealboy

Not Safe For Adults
10-21-2012, 08:08 AM
Yeah, this website is certainly home to a lot of memories. I never really post much but I always check out the forum once or twice a year to see how things are going. It's gotten much calmer around here the past couple years but I'm glad to see it hasn't died off yet. This is one of the best forum communities I've ever been a part of and I'm glad to see that it has at least stayed that way throughout everything.

LS
10-21-2012, 08:29 AM
As someone that has basically grown up going on Pe2k. I can tell how much of an affect this site has had on me. I was 12 when I first joined too and this site has helped me in a lot of ways besides just expanding my knowledge of pokemon.

It's great that you're back but don't just disappear. Stay active. Help us bring the forum back to what it used to be.