PDA

View Full Version : [Other] Dungeons and Dragons: Desert of Deception - Discussion and SU

Ant2011
01-22-2013, 02:50 AM
-This is a Dungeons and Dragons 4th Edition Role Play. There will be die rolls and combat. Don't know about Dungeons and Dragons? Ask any questions here. Want to watch for a while and then join in later? I'm sure that could be arranged.-

http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/7112/harharduf.jpg

From the time you were young the world you knew was a barren and arid desert. There are three kingdoms in this sea of sand, each with their own specialized merchants and resources. Many adventurers have made a name for themselves by exploring the caves deep underground that hold treasures from ancient civilizations. There are three large cities, Ereba, Karatyl, and Jor'Talan. The merchants in each have different specializations and you may not find the same goods or the same prices in each one. People who do not live in the cities are either nomads, searching for a better life or Barbaric raiders, killing anybody in their path to obtain wealth and equipment. But you and your party, well, you're seeking something more, aren't you?

If you wish to join this RP there are some things you should know.
1) When it comes to saving throws and defense, I don't go by the predetermined AC and saving throws that 4e has, I feel like in combat you wouldn't always be at 100%. You would be watching all allies and enemies, maybe a shimmer or light would distract you, etc..
2) The above will change if you keep rolling high numbers and avoiding everything. I'm going to trust you for now.
3) All dice will be rolled with this tool (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/dice/dice.htm)
4) Please, do not "fudge" rolls. I cannot stress this enough. D&D is no fun if someone keeps cheating to dodge attacks, or keep getting critical hits
5) I don't mess around with action points. Every turn consists of 1 move action, as many free actions (to an extent), 1 minor action, and 1 standard action. You don't need to do all those, that's just the most you can do in a turn.
6) You must make a character in this thread (http://www.pokemonelite2000.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3448676#post3448676) and then post here so I can look over your character and make sure it's all good.

-Don't have any Dungeons and Dragons books? Just click here (http://www.mediafire.com/?dl99apsdvxlj8f1) to go to my mediafire download with the 3 players handbooks, some race and class info pulled from the Ebberon and Forgotten realms guides, and 3 homebrew races-

7) When making your character you must determine your stats with the Point-Buy system, which can be found on page 17 of Players Handbook 1
8) You have 6 alignments to choose from: Lawful Good, Neutral Good, Chaotic Good, Lawful Neutral, True Neutral, and Chaotic Neutral. I am not allowing any evil characters. People seem to think "Evil" means "Kill every NPC and then get mad when people won't help us."

I think we'll start at 8 players maximum for right now to see how things start out.
1. Ant2011 - Entomorian Barbarian
2. Sheepat - Reserved (backed out of the initial startup)
3. 5TailedDemonLizard - Dragonborn Paladin
4. Velocity - Aarakocra Wizard
5. sir_Aaron - Reserved (Did not respond to my message, assume inactive)
6. Latio-Nytro - Shardmind Psion
7. Cobalt Shadow - Reserved

I hope you'll join me in the desert! :biggrin:

Sheepat
01-22-2013, 03:12 AM
Ooo DnD RP :D

I've only got edition one of the 4th edition, so I'll choose stuff there :P

Reserve me a spot, please? Also how do I use the dice program? I can't figure out how

EDIT: Oh never mind got the dice. Boy I feel stupid xD

Ant2011
01-22-2013, 03:21 AM
Also how do I use the dice program? I can't figure out how

It's a pretty confusing program at first, took me a while. Haha.

Here is a simple image tutorial of how to use it.

http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/1853/diceprogram.png

EDIT: And I see you ninja'd me and figured it out...

5TailedDemonLizard
01-22-2013, 03:27 AM
This actually looks really interesting. I've never played DnD in real life so maybe this could be a jumpstart into learning how to play before I head off to college! Mind if I reserve myself a spot?

Ant2011
01-22-2013, 03:46 AM
Mind if I reserve myself a spot?

I don't mind at all! If you have any questions with character creation just ask :biggrin:

Velocity
01-22-2013, 12:39 PM
This looks really interesting, given that I've been wanting to learn more about DnD for a while. Reserve a spot for me, please.

EDIT: Augh, looks like I'm going to have to wait a couple of weeks to be able to make my character since I can't download things on this computer. Is there anywhere else I can find the info I need?

Ant2011
01-22-2013, 04:15 PM
I will check my sources to see if someone knows whether or not there's an online pdf for any of the handbooks.

EDIT: Of course there isn't one. We could probably build your character and I could explain the basic rules via PM. I'll just copy the text and send it to you. (Not all of it, just the race/class info that interests you and the basic rules)

Velocity
01-22-2013, 06:44 PM
I will check my sources to see if someone knows whether or not there's an online pdf for any of the handbooks.

EDIT: Of course there isn't one. We could probably build your character and I could explain the basic rules via PM. I'll just copy the text and send it to you. (Not all of it, just the race/class info that interests you and the basic rules)

Thanks a ton, that would be super helpful. :O

Ant2011
01-22-2013, 06:53 PM
Thanks a ton, that would be super helpful. :O

No problem. Do you have the time to start this now, or should I wait a bit?

Velocity
01-22-2013, 07:58 PM
No problem. Do you have the time to start this now, or should I wait a bit?

Not quite yet I'm afraid. u.u I should have the time tonight or on Thursday.

Ant2011
01-22-2013, 08:04 PM
Not quite yet I'm afraid. u.u I should have the time tonight or on Thursday.

Okay, whenever you're free let me know :happy:

sir_Aaron
01-23-2013, 01:17 AM
I'd love to join this since I've become interested in DnD recently. I don't wanna go full retard though so I guess I better get to reading.

Reserve me a spot, eh?

Ant2011
01-23-2013, 01:22 AM
Reserve me a spot, eh?

Done deal

Latio-Nytro
01-30-2013, 02:33 AM
You know what? YOU KNOW WHAT?!

Sign me up. It is my first real foray into DnD, and I am still somewhat clueless after a few runs through the guides, but sign me up!

Ant2011
01-30-2013, 03:56 AM
You know what? YOU KNOW WHAT?!

Sign me up. It is my first real foray into DnD, and I am still somewhat clueless after a few runs through the guides, but sign me up!

Sure! 5TailedDemonLizard and I are doing a quick little crash course game to teach her how the game runs, if you want to just sit back and watch to get a feel that's quite alright.

Cobalt Shadow
03-07-2013, 04:57 AM
New to this, and curious to how it works. Looks fun. Can I haz a reservation while I create a character? thanks

Ant2011
03-07-2013, 02:16 PM
New to this, and curious to how it works. Looks fun. Can I haz a reservation while I create a character? thanks

Sure :happy: We'll squeeze you in somewhere

Velocity
03-22-2013, 12:08 AM
When attacking with a ranged attack - Magic Missile, for instance - does your character have to be in a direct horizontal, vertical, or diagonal path from the target?

EDIT: Also, while I'm asking silly questions, what accuracy roll constitutes a successful attack?

Ant2011
03-22-2013, 01:48 AM
When attacking with a ranged attack - Magic Missile, for instance - does your character have to be in a direct horizontal, vertical, or diagonal path from the target?

EDIT: Also, while I'm asking silly questions, what accuracy roll constitutes a successful attack?

As long as you can draw a straight line between you and your target, it can hit. You must count every square you pass through as 1 space though, even if it's just the corner.

A hit will depend on the target's defense roll. If they roll lower than your accuracy you hit, if they roll higher you miss.

I'll roll defenses before the Scorpions have their turns, just like the rest of you will roll defenses for attacks against you at the start of your turns before you make any action.