PDA

View Full Version : NHL Hockey

Jeikobu
03-06-2004, 06:21 AM
Talk about anything involving the National Hockey League here.

I'll start by mentioning that my favorite team, the Colorado Avalanche (check the sig ;)), finally broke their home 8 game winless streak tonight by burying the San Jose Sharks 5-1 at the Pepsi Center. They played a great game. I really hope they keep this up.

Interesting how many trades are being made around the league lately. With a very possible lockout next season (God I hope not) and the trade deadline approaching (March 9th), teams are either unloading talent or trying to gain it for the playoffs. Players like Leetch, Jagr, Bondra, Lang, Gonchar, Nedved and many others have already been moved this season, with more to come in the next few days. I am still waiting for Avs general manager Pierre Lacroix to make his usual deadline blockbuster deal.

King Kangaskhan
03-07-2004, 01:42 AM
Washington is trading all of their good players. Detroit got Lang. They are in first place of the league. Tampa Bay is undefeated in its last 10 games, moving them to first in the East. I didn't realize they were that good.

Shael
03-07-2004, 03:04 AM
I must say that Colorado is the team I fear the most (being a Detroit fan).

We beat the Vancouver Canucks yesterday, 3-1, and we're playing Tampa Bay on Monday. I'm kinda nervous about that game, seeing as they're currently #1 in the eastern division =/

King Kangaskhan
03-07-2004, 03:44 AM
Colorado can be a scary team, but I am a Detroit fan too and I don't think they are the biggest threat because of goaltending. I would have to say Ottawa or Toronto would be the biggest threat to Detroit.

I wonder who Detroit is going to use in goal in the playoffs. Probably Joseph, but I would like to see Legace in net and his numbers are better than Hasek and Joseph.

Jeikobu
03-07-2004, 06:12 PM
Note: Tampa is first in the league by a point, Detroit is in second.

How can you say Colorado has bad goaltending? In 53 games, David Aebischer has played better than Roy in some of his seasons. He has a 2.07 GAA, .926 S%, 27 wins and 4 shutouts. He has been the Avs' MVP this season. He has been excellent almost every game.

Shael
03-08-2004, 08:54 PM
Ahh!!! The top team in the eastern conference (as well as the whole NHL), Tampa Bay Lightning, are playing the top team in the west, Detroit Red Wings. And it's tonight!! This is gonna be scary O.o

Yesterday's games (incase people wanna know =P)

Edmonton Oilers (4) - Chicago Blackhawks (3)
Calgary Flames (7) - Colorado Avalanche (1) ..wow??
Dallas Stars (4) - San Jose Sharks (0)
Pittsburg Penguins (7) - New York Rangers (4)
St. Louis Blues (5) - Buffalo Sabres (1)
Minnesota Wild (1) - Phoenix Coyotes (1)

Colorado plays Vancouver tonight. Hopefully they'll be able to recover from that 7-1 loss =)

And good luck Wings...

King Kangaskhan
03-08-2004, 09:00 PM
I wasn't saying that Colorado has bad goaltending. Its just that Aebschier doesn't have much experience and I don't think he's had any in the playoffs. I think that will play a big factor in this year's playoff. But we'll just have to wait and see.

Jeikobu
03-09-2004, 01:59 AM
Remember when Detroit crushed the Avs 6-0 in Game 7 of the 2002 Western Conference Finals? Roy was pulled after 5 goals and Aebischer played the rest of the game. Besides that, I don't think Aebi has ever played in the playoffs. But consider this: Patrick Roy led the Canadiens to a Stanley Cup in his rookie year. He has never been in the playoffs before abviously. He won the Conn Smythe trophy too. And last year, Jean-Sebastien Giguere had an outstanding playoff run and got the Conn Smythe. And he had absolutely no playoff experience either. And I have pretty much no doubt in my mind whatsoever that Aebi will play the same way. If he has done this well in the regular season, we may be in for a treat come playoff time. The other thing to remember is Aebischer is more like Patrick Roy than any other goaltender (I once even read this article where this player said that one of the games this season he fired a shot on Aebi and for a minute he thought that was really Roy in net, believe it or not). Aebischer has the competitiveness and concentration that Roy had. He is very focused each game, and has a great desire to win. Those are probably the best things about Aebischer: his mental toughness and desire to win. And that will be the major factor in the playoffs. The interesting thing will be if the rest of the Avs can have that kind of outlook. They need to get hungry. That obviously didn't show when they were stomped 1-7 by Calgary yesterday. No question, the Avs need to play good, hard, determined hockey tonight.Current hockey news today:
-Ottawa defeated Washington 4-1
-Carolina defeated Columbus 4-1
-Tampa Bay and Detroit are tied 1-1 in the 3rd period
-Colorado and Vancouver play in a few minutes (GO AVS!)
-Montreal and Anaheim play in about a half-hour

There were also more trades today (the deadline is tomorrow at 3 PM EST). To see them, go here: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/trade_deadline/

King Kangaskhan
03-09-2004, 03:25 AM
Detroit tied 1-1 with Tampa. I think Col won 5-0.

I don't know much about the teams that were around when Roy won the cup with Montreal so I can't really say much. But that was a while back, and the game has changed. Guigere did have an awesome playoff. But honestly, he was lucky, and after a few games he built self esteem and got on a hot streak. I think that something like that happening again is very slim or the goalie will have to be really lucky. Aeisbcher may be the most like Roy in the league, but that doesn't make him as good as Roy. In 2002 with Det vs Col, it came down to goaltending, Hasek vs. Roy. Hasek outplayed Roy and Detroit won. It is going to come down to goaltending again and even though Aeisbcher is good, he is no Roy. Without much experience, he can't beat a veteran. In last years final, it was Giguere vs. Brodeur and Brodeur's been in many game 7 and he had the experience. So he shut out the Ducks in the final game. I think everyone in the NHL has desire to win the Cup, otherwise there would be really no reason to play other than money. But Detroit is going to come back strong this year and they are going to be hungrier than ever. They got sweeped first round last year and they're going to have to come back and prove themselves.

Jeikobu
03-09-2004, 05:52 AM
Colorado played its best game of the year and stormed Vancouver 9-2. Unfortunately, it's hard to enjoy it right now. I need everyone to read my thread in Other Chat. Steve Moore really needs your prayers.:cry:

Shael
03-09-2004, 07:53 PM
That 1-1 tie was kinda unclimatic =/ Well at least we didn't lose, and we stopped Tampa's 8(?) game winning streak!

And congrats to Colorado on that really nice win =)

Oh yeah, Montreal beat Anahein 5-2

Jeikobu
03-10-2004, 05:39 AM
The deadline deals today were numerous, however it was overshadowed by what happened to Steve Moore last night. It's the talk of the league. God please heal Steve Moore.:sad:
To see the deadline deals, go here (http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/trade_deadline/), or here (http://www.nhl.com/intheslot/read/deadline2004/gospel.html).
I'll share my comments on the Avs trades.
I like the Matthew Barnaby trade. We traded a prospect who I have never heard of and defenseman Chris McAllister to get him. McAllister has actually been a healthy scratch often for the Avs this year, so he isn't a remarkable player. I like him, been then I like all the Avs. I guess someone had to go.:razz: Barnaby seems to be having a good year, and he's supposed to add some toughness to the team.
I have some regrets on the 4 player trade. We gave up Derek Morris, which I think is a bad move. He is a good, developing young defenseman with a potential to maybe even be an All Star in a year or two. We also gave up promising prospect Keith Ballard. So this trade cost us. In return, we get center Chris Gratton, who should help the Avs in the faceoffs department (especially with Peter Forsberg out), and is supposed to be a good player both offensively and defensively. The bad news: he currently has a plus/minus rating of -19. The Avs also got young defenseman Ossi Vaananen in the trade. He, like Gratton, is a large player who can use his size to his advantage. Vaananen is supposed to be a good defensive defenseman, and being only 23, he should only get better.
And finally, the Avs made the trade that I favor most. They traded prospect Tom Gilbert to Edmonton for goaltender Tommy Salo and a 6th round pick in the next entry draft. Tommy Salo will provide a solid backup for David Aebischer in the playoffs. Phil Sauve was sent back to the AHL. Sauve, as much as I like him, was playing horrificly in his last handful of starts. If Aebischer were to get injured, the Avs would need someone to carry the load while he is recovering. Salo is a much better bet.

King Kangaskhan
03-10-2004, 10:44 PM
Bertuzzi is going to get his sentence tomorrow.

The Salo trade was great for Colorado, IMO. He's the veteran they need in case Aebischer cannot perform well in the playoffs.

Joseph returns on Thursday. I don't really know if its good or bad. It's good because he was the number one goaltender, but it may be bad because Legace has been playing awesome.

Jeikobu
03-11-2004, 06:27 AM
I have no doubts toward Aebi's playoff performance, however if he gets injured (God forbid), I am glad we have Salo to back him up.

The Avs beat the Oilers 3-2 in OT tonight! Go Avs! :mrgreen:

I hear Curtis Joseph will return to the Wings lineup tomorrow night. I'm glad to see Cujo back from injury. He's the Wing I really do like.

Shael
03-11-2004, 08:01 PM
Congrats Avs!

And last night Tampa beat Carolina 4-2. Their no-loss streak must be stopped!!! No offense, but with New York and again Carolina playing them next, it seems the Lightning's rampage will continue...

Today the Wings play Columbus =)

Lang got injured during the game with Tampa and will be out for a few weeks, but Joseph is back!

Other scores yesterday...
Buffalo (6) - Washington (0)
LA (3) - Phoenix (1)
Minnesota (1) - Vancouver (1)

King Kangaskhan
03-11-2004, 11:59 PM
What is up with Detroit players getting injured? Esp. new players. I guess its rough in hockey town. Hatcher, three games I think as a Wing, he gets injured for a couple months. Hasek comes back for 13 games and gets injured for the whole season. Now Lang! This is ridiculous.

Jeikobu
03-12-2004, 04:29 AM
I'm still waiting for Peter Forsberg to return to the Avs lineup and actually stay healthy this time.

King Kangaskhan
03-13-2004, 01:03 AM
Hasek has refused to accept about $3 million out of his $6 million salary for the season. I would say thats fair of him considering he didn't play for half the season.

Jeikobu
03-13-2004, 06:02 AM
I agree, though I'm surprised that he actually did that.

Avs win 3-2 vs. Phoenix!

King Kangaskhan
03-14-2004, 01:57 AM
Detroit beat Dallas 3-0.

Shael
03-14-2004, 03:18 AM
Wohoo Detroit!!!

And did Carolina just end Tampa's non-losing streak?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!!!!!!!!!!!!! 5-1 O_O

Never saw that coming...

King Kangaskhan
03-14-2004, 05:22 PM
Detroit plays Nashville on ESPN 2 @ 7 today.

Jeikobu
03-14-2004, 06:17 PM
The Avs play Phoenix in less than an hour. They should have this one, though Alex Tanguay will be out 2-3 weeks with a knee injury, which sucks big time. :mad:
Tommy Salo should get his first start with the Avs today, too. :smile:

King Kangaskhan
03-15-2004, 01:46 AM
Avs won I believe.

Detroit beat Nashville 3-2 in OT. Shanahan got a hat trick.

Shael
03-17-2004, 02:22 AM
The top teams in the NHL seemed to be having a bit of trouble today...

Tampa lost to NY Islanders 1-3
Colorado lost to Montreal 2-4
Detroit lost to Calgary 1-4

Our 8 game unbeaten streak has been broken =(

King Kangaskhan
03-17-2004, 09:55 PM
That sucks, but I guess its okay since the top teams lost.

Shael
03-20-2004, 12:22 AM
Detroit tied yesterday against Phoenix 1-1, and Tampa beat Buffalo so now both the Wings and the Lightning have 97 points.

Tommorow Detroit plays Los Angelos.

King Kangaskhan
03-20-2004, 09:53 PM
Detroit plays Kings tonight I think. Tampa lost 5-4 to Boston so I think Detroit might be in the lead or can take it back with a win.

Shael
03-21-2004, 04:43 PM
Detroit's in the lead now with 99 points, while Tampa has 97 =)

And Detroit won last night, 4-2. Lidstrom scored an empty-netter from the Wings' zone in the last few seconds. The last bit of the 3rd quarter was pretty intense, it was a 6 on 3 at one point O.o

King Kangaskhan
03-22-2004, 02:19 AM
Detroit is play Anaheim. Its 6-7 Anaheim right now.

Ierdar
03-22-2004, 05:25 AM
Wings lost, 8-6, they pulled their goalie as a last resort, but it backfired. :wall:

Jeikobu
03-22-2004, 05:35 AM
^That was an interesting one. Even more interesting is that former Wing Sergei Fedorov got the game winner.

The Avs have been struggling again lately, losing three straight. On Tuesday they play Chicago so that should be a good place to turn things around. More so, Peter Forsberg may return to the lineup, so that's great, as long as he stays back this time.

King Kangaskhan
03-22-2004, 07:39 PM
That Wings game sounded crazy. Wings had a couple unanswered goals then Ducks came back strong, then wings did and it kept going like that. Hopefully the Wings will hold the top spot.

Jeikobu
03-22-2004, 07:45 PM
I would still really like for Colorado to get the President's trophy, but I really am doubting it'll happen with the way the Avs have played in their last few games, not to mention Detroit is still 6 points ahead. Still possible, just not likely. But I'll just be glad if they can get the Northwest division again. The important thing will be surviving the playoffs.

Shael
03-24-2004, 03:31 PM
Is it just me, or is Detroit's defense weakening?

Last two games they let in a total of 13 goals...=(
During the San Jose game the Sharks only fired 16 shots, but 5 of them made it.

Anyways, Tampa is now tied with Detroit and San Jose is now tied with Colorado.

King Kangaskhan
03-24-2004, 09:54 PM
I've just noticed this, but Pittsburg is 8-1-1-0 in their last ten games. How crazy is that! I can't believe it.

Shael
03-25-2004, 12:22 AM
Haha yeah, they're currently last in the NHL, but they have the more wins in their last 10 record than anybody else. Most of the games were against lower contenders, but they did beat Toronto and Dallas, and tied with Philly.

But then they had that 19 loss streak during the middle of the season, which is pretty crazy O.o

Jeikobu
03-25-2004, 07:02 PM
Is it just me, or is Detroit's defense weakening?

Last two games they let in a total of 13 goals...=(
During the San Jose game the Sharks only fired 16 shots, but 5 of them made it.

Anyways, Tampa is now tied with Detroit and San Jose is now tied with Colorado.
I hope Colorado is catching Detroit at the right time, we really need the two points tonight. Legace will get the start for Detroit since Joseph is still battling his ankle injury. Legace just allowed 5 goals on 20 shots last night in a loss to San Jose. But the Avs still can't under estimate Detroit. No way. They will be very fired up for this one. Best of luck to you Wings fans here, may the best team win. :wink:

King Kangaskhan
03-26-2004, 12:47 AM
It's 1-0 Detroit after one period, we'll just have to see how the rest goes.

Shael
03-26-2004, 02:32 AM
3-1, Detroit =)

Legace played awesome and almost got his 3rd shutout of the season but the Avs scored with just around 40 seconds left in the third period.

Oh yeah, and fights all over the place =P

Ierdar
03-26-2004, 02:34 AM
you beat me to it. =P lol, yay wings ^_^

King Kangaskhan
03-26-2004, 03:15 AM
Tampa won their game too. So we're still tied, but Detroits got an extra game on the Lightning.

Jeikobu
03-26-2004, 09:58 PM
The Avs had a wealth of opportunities, but Legace just robbed them blind. Well, see you in the rematch tomorrow. :wink:

Ierdar
03-30-2004, 03:15 AM
Wings won against....i forgot, i only saw the last few mins of the game. (i was asleep the whole day =P) It was 5-3, wings. ^_^

Jeikobu
03-30-2004, 03:55 PM
It was Minnesota, the team the Avs play next. Speaking of the Avs, w00t! Winless skid broken! They win 2-1 against the Kings! This officially puts the Kings out of playoff contention. More so Teemu Selanne got the game-winner (his first in 20 games)! It was so great to see him score and even better to see the Avs get those much needed to points! :biggrin:

Ierdar
04-02-2004, 01:33 AM
Wings are winning agaisnt the Blues, 3-2 ^_^

Jeikobu
04-02-2004, 02:03 AM
The Avs dropped 4-5 in OT last night to the Wild. They get a much needed point, but the Canucks won so the teams are currently tied for the division lead. The bad news is the Nucks have more wins so they are ahead of the Avs. The good news is the Avs' next game is easy (Columbus) and the Nucks' next game is a tough one (San Jose).

Ierdar
04-02-2004, 12:50 PM
Wings won last night, 3-2. I was listening to it on the MSN radio thing, lol.

Jeikobu
04-02-2004, 04:45 PM
Was it not televised?

Ierdar
04-02-2004, 07:17 PM
It was, but I was online too, lol. Didnt want to miss the game or my online time =P

Shael
04-02-2004, 09:55 PM
It was, but I was online too, lol. Didnt want to miss the game or my online time =P

Hahaha, sometimes I feel the same way. Wish I had a TV in my room next to my computer =P

Ierdar
04-02-2004, 11:38 PM
I do when i'm up north. My computer is near the TV, so i can watch both. :cool:

Tamer Marco
04-03-2004, 12:29 AM
Wings are winning agaisnt the Blues, 3-2 ^_^ Damn thier winning streak has fallen.

Jeikobu
04-03-2004, 05:22 AM
I'll take watching an Avs game over using a computer almost any day.

Speaking of the Avs, they win 4-2 over Columbus tonight! Rookie Marek Svatos came back from injury (he had to have shoulder surgery after only playing a little over one NHL game) and scored his first two NHL goals in one period! He is going to be a spectacular player.
The Avs are hoping to get the Northwest division title again this year but those friggin' Canucks won't make it easily as they beat San Jose 4-1 tonight. It will come down to Sunday when the teams play their last regular season games. If the teams stay tied, the Nucks win the division since they have more wins... :mad:
And unfortunately, the Sabres are now officially out of the playoff race as the Islanders won tonight and they lost. But if they play with the same motivation next season (granted there is one), they should be in the playoffs. They are a talented young team.

Ierdar
04-03-2004, 08:17 PM
Last wings season game tonight. :cool: Taken on the Blue Jackets, though it woulda been better if it was the Avs. =P lol.

Shael
04-04-2004, 03:31 AM
Yech, we lost 1-4. =(
Time to wait for our playoff opponent.

Jeikobu
04-04-2004, 04:56 AM
I didn't watch that game but if I had to guess I'd say the Wings simply didn't care if they won or lost as they have already clinched thre President's Trophy and are probably just wanting to get the playoffs started.
The Avs play their last regular season game tomorrow against Nashville. The Canucks are playing their's right now, and if they win, they clinch the Northwest division (please no). They are leading 4-1 against Edmonton right now so I'd say they have it. :mad: :sad:

Shael
04-04-2004, 10:51 PM
Can anyone explain how the playoff matchups for the first round works? Is it just 1vs8, 2vs7, 3vs6, and 4vs5 in both divisions?

Jeikobu
04-05-2004, 07:23 AM
Yes, in both conferences that's how it works. The best team in a conference faces the worst, and it goes from there. The final standings look like this:

Eastern Conference Standings
1 Tampa Bay*
2 Boston*
3 Philadelphia*
4 Toronto
5 Ottawa
6 New Jersey
7 Montreal
8 NY Islanders

Western Conference Standings
1 Detroit*
2 San Jose*
3 Vancouver *
4 Colorado
5 Dallas
6 Calgary
7 St. Louis
8 Nashville

I'll post my playoff predictions to give you an idea of things.

Eastern Conference Quarter Finals
Tampa Bay vs. NY Islanders
WINNER: Tampa Bay

Boston vs. Montreal
WINNER: Montreal

Philadelphia vs. New Jersey
WINNER: New Jersey

Toronto vs. Ottawa
WINNER: Ottawa

Western Conference Quarter Finals
Detroit vs. Nashville
WINNER: Detroit

San Jose vs. St. Louis
WINNER: San Jose

Vancouver vs. Calgary
WINNER: Calgary

Colorado vs. Dallas
WINNER: Colorado

Eastern Conference Semi Finals
Tampa Bay vs. New Jersey
WINNER: New Jersey

Montreal vs. Ottawa

Western Conference Semi Finals
Detroit vs. Calgary
WINNER: Detroit

San Jose vs. Colorado

Eastern Conference Finals
Ottawa vs. New Jersey

Western Conference Finals
Detroit vs. Colorado

Stanley Cup Finals
Ottawa vs. Colorado
STANLEY CUP CHAMPION: Colorado

Ierdar
04-05-2004, 12:48 PM
You messed something up. You put the Avs winning against the Wings. =P

Jeikobu
04-05-2004, 05:38 PM
Did I? We'll just see about that. :wink:

Ierdar
04-06-2004, 12:54 AM
And I look forward to seeing the wings win. :wink: =P

Deoxys0003
04-06-2004, 03:20 AM
the San Jose Sharks RULEZ!!!

Ierdar
04-08-2004, 02:02 AM
Wings won, 3-1. =P

Jeikobu
04-09-2004, 12:37 AM
And I look forward to seeing the wings win. :wink: =P
Dream on my friend. Though at this rate we may see the better of the two teams sooner than expected. The Wings shouldn't have much trouble trashing Nashville, and Colorado won last night, and with the way they looked in that game, if all goes well Dallas should be out of the way as well. That would pit Colorado vs. Detroit in the semifinals. See you there! :wink:

Ierdar
04-09-2004, 04:33 AM
And I look forward to it. Just a few teams to get out of the way first, and we'll see the who the better team is. =P

And just for the hell of it: :rambo:

Shael
04-11-2004, 02:44 AM
Wings won again, but that last goal kinda made me feel sorry for Nashville, especially after the effort they made to get so far =/

But still, the Wings were victorious and that's all that matters.

Game 3 tommorow, GO WINGS!!!!

King Kangaskhan
04-11-2004, 04:20 PM
Who do you think will make it to the finals?

I think Detroit will make it. In the East, I think whoever beats New Jersey will get to the finals. Right now, it looks like the Flyers will.

Ierdar
04-11-2004, 06:24 PM
I didnt see the game yesterday, but the last goal sounded funny as hell XD One of those one time moments. =P Like Roy and the Statue of Liberty =P lol, he didnt have the puck ^_^

Jeikobu
04-11-2004, 09:16 PM
Yeah, but it's ok as he stoned them so many other times. Roy was/is the man. My favorite moment was in the 2002-2003 regular season when the Avs beat Detroit 5-3 at the Pepsi Center. At one point Detroit came breaking in on goal and one Wing fired a shot and Roy made a great butterfly save. So immediately another Wings snaps a rebound shot, and Roy suddenly kicks out his right leg and stones him. Then another Wing immediately grabs the rebound and tries going around Roy to put it in, but Roy spun around and made a huge diving save. His speed and reflexes were incredible.
You can see it in slow motion here (mms://wm.nhlteams.speedera.net/wm.nhlteams/teams/2004/COL/Royintvid_1_300k.wmv) a bit over a minute in.

Ierdar
04-11-2004, 09:50 PM
=P Again, one of those once in a life time things XD Even if it was against my team. =P

Wings are losing 2-0 right now ;_; almost 3rd period.

Come on wings! You can make a comeback!^_^

Shael
04-11-2004, 10:49 PM
Nope, we lost >.<

Is Nashville getting better or are we just getting worse? I think we won the 2nd game because of a little bit of luck.

I hope that defeat was kind of a fluke, because if it isn't and we beat the Preds in this series, from the way Colorado is playing and the way we're playing it looks like they'll be crushing us...

King Kangaskhan
04-12-2004, 12:29 AM
So Wings lost. I think they'll still take this series in five games. This was only one game and they weren't at their best. The Wings will come back stronger. Don't lose hope just yet.

žavage])
04-12-2004, 02:10 AM
I'm here just to say

GO LEAFS GO!!!!!

Jeikobu
04-12-2004, 11:28 PM
=P Again, one of those once in a life time things XD Even if it was against my team. =P
Once in a lifetime? Roy has made countless incredible saves over his career.

Ierdar
04-13-2004, 03:36 AM
*shifty eyes* No....he.....didnt.... O.o

Next wings game is tomarrow I believe ^_^

Shael
04-13-2004, 03:40 AM
Wow, all 8 series are now 2-1, with the team that placed higher in the normal season having the 2 wins.

Weird =P

Jeikobu
04-13-2004, 07:32 PM
*shifty eyes* No....he.....didnt.... O.o
Prove it. The videos on coloradoavalanche.com show you some great ones he made. But come on, he was the greatest goaltender to ever play. He obviously made alot of huge saves and carried his team. He won four Stanley Cups. That has to say something.

Shael
04-13-2004, 07:40 PM
I think he was being sarcastic...?

Forgive my ignorance(I just got back into watching hockey this season), but what happened to Roy anyways?

King Kangaskhan
04-13-2004, 10:07 PM
Roy retired last year.

Detroit plays tonight. Hope they win.

Ierdar
04-14-2004, 02:14 AM
Wings lost 3-0, but the game was complete BS. -_- Bastard refs barely called a damn thing on Nashville. :: \ And, they called a wings goal an interfience. Bull S...poo -_-

King Kangaskhan
04-14-2004, 10:56 PM
Well Joesph starts next game, and I think that should be good.

Jeikobu
04-15-2004, 04:36 AM
Well I don't want Detroit to win (sorry Wings fans!), but I do hope Cujo plays well.

w00t! Avs win 3-2 in double overtime! They have a 3-1 lead in the series! David Aebischer was just incredible (41 saves). :clap: :biggrin:

Ierdar
04-15-2004, 04:50 PM
JAW...you're supposed to want the wings to win XD I want to see them play the Avs, and I know you do too. :wink: When is the next wings Playoff game, tonight? x_x

lol, musta been good. =P the Avs game, when it goes into multiple OTs, always exciting, even against an enemy team. =P

Shael
04-15-2004, 10:14 PM
Thomas Vokoun is getting a little...cocky (http://nhl.com/onthefly/scoreboard/previews/155_3_preview.html)?

I hope Cujo and the Wings shut his big mouth tonight >.<

Ierdar
04-15-2004, 11:52 PM
XD About 5 mins into the game, already 2-0 Wings. :cool: Two sweet goals.

EDIT: Make that 3-0, with three sweet goals. :cool:

EDIT EDIT: Wings won 4-1

žavage])
04-16-2004, 03:22 AM
Starts poking Ottawa vudu dolls :evil:

King Kangaskhan
04-16-2004, 03:29 AM
YES. Wings win! Hopefully they'll take the series the next game.

Ierdar
04-17-2004, 07:57 PM
Wings lead Nashville with a 2-0 lead at the end of the first period. :cool: Been a sweet game so far ^_^

King Kangaskhan
04-18-2004, 09:44 PM
Wings and Colorado won. I hope Calagry wins because I don;'t want the wings to play avs next round. But then again, calgary did get into 3OT after being down 4.

Shael
04-18-2004, 10:12 PM
Wings and Colorado won. I hope Calagry wins because I don;'t want the wings to play avs next round. But then again, calgary did get into 3OT after being down 4.

Same here, watching Colorado repeatedly crush the Stars is making me have doubts about a second round victory if we have to face them.

Ierdar
04-19-2004, 12:07 AM
I want the wings to face the Avs. I'd be a sweet series ^_^ I'm almost positive Avs won, it was 3-1 last I saw. =P

King Kangaskhan
04-19-2004, 03:02 AM
Here are the teams that are in:

Det, San Jose, Col, Tampa, Phi

Here are the teams that are not in yet.

Van - Cal tied 3-3
Bos - Mtl tied 3-3
Tor - Ott tied 3-3

žavage])
04-20-2004, 12:00 AM
Ottawa was lucky, Toronto wasn't even trying

Shael
04-23-2004, 02:21 AM
Right now it's 1-1 in OT in the Wings/Flames game.

Gogogo Detroit!!!

EDIT: omg dangit, Calgary won I think

Ierdar
04-23-2004, 12:44 PM
Yeah, Calgary won, 2-1. =\

Jeikobu
04-24-2004, 12:38 AM
The Avs got stomped 5-2. :ermm:
But on the bright side I'm sure they'll rebound with a great game tomorrow and tie the series. :smile: GO AVS GO!

Ierdar
04-24-2004, 09:56 PM
lol, wings just won 5-2. =P Wish they were playing the Avs though. =P

žavage])
04-25-2004, 04:16 AM
Ottawa got dealt with.... so I say bring on Phili... they think they are big, but they havent met out whole team :twisted:

King Kangaskhan
04-25-2004, 11:29 PM
San Jose is a really good team. They really did sneak by everyone in the season. They're going to be tough to beat for the Avs and the Wings.

Shael
04-26-2004, 02:51 AM
Yeah, the Sharks are really crazy for some reason. They're consistently stomping the Avs who destroyed the Stars. And the Stars aren't half bad. Well stuff like that happens in hockey though. If Detroit beats Calgary, I hope the Avs advance so we won't have to face San Jose. =P

Kenny_C.002
04-26-2004, 03:43 AM
)']Ottawa got dealt with.... so I say bring on Phili... they think they are big, but they havent met out whole team :twisted:

YEah. 4-1 Leafs. Now the LEafs are going to be destroyed. Destroyed by Phili again...*sigh*

I mean, GO LEAFS GO!

žavage])
04-26-2004, 11:09 AM
-_-, its hard to keep faith... but we are going to win!!!

Shael
04-28-2004, 03:50 AM
Nooooooooooo!!! The Wings lost by one point again =(

On another note, Tampa Bay and San Jose need just one win apiece to move to the conference finals. Philly and Calgary need 2.

Ierdar
04-30-2004, 01:13 PM
Wings won, tied up the series once again. They won 4-2. ^_^

Series- 2-2

King Kangaskhan
05-01-2004, 12:19 AM
Heres an update

Det-Cal Tied 2-2
Sharks-Avs Sharks 3-1
Tampa-Mtl Tampa wins 4-0
Philly-Tor Philly up 2-1

Right now Toronto is leading Game 4, 2-1

Shael
05-01-2004, 10:38 PM
Sigh...we lose by one once again >.<

King Kangaskhan
05-01-2004, 11:24 PM
This sucks. Steve Yzerman is out. I don't know if the Wings can pull this off.

Another OT win for the Avs with another goal from Joe Sakic. It makes you wonder if Col can pull this off.

Ierdar
05-04-2004, 10:27 AM
Well, after a long hard game, Wings made it to over time. But, unfortunatly, they couldn't hold out.

Wings lost, 1-0, and are out of the playoffs. :frown:

Shael
05-04-2004, 07:59 PM
Instead of saying something, I'll use my first smiley EVER on this new PE2K forums: :sad:

EDIT: I was gonna post again but I guess I shouldn't double post, even though this is like 7 hours apart. Anyways, the Avs just lost, and so did the Leafs. So it's now Calgary vs. San Jose, and Tampa vs. Philly (this is gonna be an intense one IMO). Good luck to whoever because I really don't have anything to do with those teams =P

PokemonElite2000
05-05-2004, 10:51 PM
This sucks. Steve Yzerman is out. I don't know if the Wings can pull this off.

Another OT win for the Avs with another goal from Joe Sakic. It makes you wonder if Col can pull this off.
Thank goodness for me no, lol. My Sharks are advancing! Avs sure made the series interesting winning 2 in a row after losing the first 3. It wasn't a pretty game for the Avs in Game 6, down 3 goals to none, eventually a 3-1 loss for the Avs.

Ierdar
05-06-2004, 12:50 PM
So the Wings and the Avs are both down. =\ Guess we'll have to wait until next year JAW. :wink:

King Kangaskhan
05-07-2004, 06:02 PM
I'd like Tampa to win, or Sharks.

PokemonElite2000
05-07-2004, 07:51 PM
That would be a nice matchup, Sharks and Lightning. Flyers as well, but no offense to the Calgary Flames, it's not exactly the most exciting team.

Shael
05-07-2004, 08:02 PM

Yeah, neither of them have ever made it to even the finals, let alone win the cup. They look a lot stronger this year though.

PokemonElite2000
05-07-2004, 08:14 PM
Yeah, neither of them have ever made it to even the finals, let alone win the cup. They look a lot stronger this year though.
For the 02-03 season, the Sharks was ranked number by Sports Illustrated before the season started. That year was a horrible year, didn't even go to the playoffs, so let's not talk about it, lol. But the previous year, they got to the semifinals with the Avs and lost in Game 7.

There was definitely less hype with the Sharks this season, and people shouldn't underestimate what the Sharks can do, they're number 2 in the west, and Nabokov made some amazing saves against the Avs.

King Kangaskhan
05-10-2004, 03:05 AM

That's why I want them to win. I like it when teams that have never won to win, except Detroit.

PokemonElite2000
05-17-2004, 09:49 PM
Yea! My Sharks tied it up, lol. Calgary won two games at San Jose, and San Jose won two games at Calgary. What home advantage? :rolleyes:

King Kangaskhan
05-18-2004, 11:53 PM
Cal won, sharks down 3-2. I think Cal and Philly will win.

Shael
05-20-2004, 08:10 PM
Meh, I was kinda hoping the Sharks will at least go to the finals. But now I don't feel as bad about losing to Calgary.

This is off-topic, but if the Pistons beat the Nets today in game 7, then I still have hope for Detroit pride! =P

King Kangaskhan
05-21-2004, 02:47 AM
Philly and TB in OT right now tied 4-4. I think Tampa will take this game now.

EDIT: I was wrong. Philly won. There's a game 7.

mlugia
05-21-2004, 02:53 AM
Bob Mckenzie, and I quote, today, on TSN: "I'm getting outpredicted by a monkey" (referring to the Sportsnet Monkey who predicts every series beforehand. It's been right so far, sending Calgary to the finals this year and Anaheim last year ._.)

Anyways, Predictions:

Game 7:
Momentum: Definately Flyers after forcing Game 7.
Fans: TB, definately, since they have home ice.

I'm going to take a wild shot and say that TB will take game 7 by 2 goals, assuming of course that the Bulin wall holds up with at LEAST a .900 save % for next game, and that the offensive stars can put up with the hard check of Philly.

King Kangaskhan
06-01-2004, 01:41 PM
This topic has kinda died. I guess it is because no one is fans of the two teams in the finals.

But Tampa Bay and Calgary are tied 2-2.

PokemonElite2000
06-02-2004, 12:32 AM
This topic has kinda died. I guess it is because no one is fans of the two teams in the finals.

But Tampa Bay and Calgary are tied 2-2.
Yep, that's the reason. Sadly, but true, it doesn't really matter anymore to most people, waiting for next season :rolleyes: .

mlugia
06-02-2004, 02:18 AM
Well, Calgary had its chances last game, and with the flow of things, I think Calgary can take game 5, the crucial one, by one or 2 goals.

Shael
06-02-2004, 10:11 PM
I hope Tampa wins, it will be their first cup ever. But unfortunately I'd have to agree, it looks like Calgary is gonna take it =/

VenusaurTrainer
06-02-2004, 10:50 PM
I hope Tampa wins, it will be their first cup ever. But unfortunately I'd have to agree, it looks like Calgary is gonna take it =/

Yeah I hope Tampa wins also, they deserve it.

Jeikobu
06-03-2004, 12:02 AM
GO FLAMES GO! The Cup needs to come home to Canada!

mlugia
06-03-2004, 04:37 AM
Yeah I hope Tampa wins also, they deserve it.

And Calgary does not deserve the cup despite finishing 6th and closing out the 3 divisional leaders one by one with like a 36 million dollar payroll and a country filled with fans why?

Jeikobu
06-04-2004, 03:06 PM
w00t! Flames win 3-2 in OT! :biggrin:

One win to goooooo!!! :banana: :banana: :banana:

mlugia
06-04-2004, 04:35 PM
Damn straight. I hope they win on home ice. They do have the fans behind them ANd the momentum right now. Although, since Calgary's ice is better made than Tampa's (it's too hot in Tampa :p) it might benefit the TB skaters?

TB will have a lot of desperation though in Game 6, I hope to see a very close game. Maybe Calgary would try to tighten things a bit, making the hockey game less interesting to watch. Game 5 was the most exciting game so far in this final because both team opened it up :-/

Jeikobu
06-05-2004, 04:04 PM
I would love to see Calgary win the Cup tonight but the Lightning vowed there would be a Game 7, so they're going to give it every little bit of effort they have. Besides, I just see this series going to 7 games, as these teams both really want it and are both very skilled. I think a big part of tonight's game will be Kiprusoff. He's going to be called upon to make the big saves and he needs to play up to Khabibulin's level. He played well last game, but Bulin was better. It was only because the Flames skaters outplayed the Lightning skaters that Calgary won, and they almost didn't. The Flames need to bring out their best game tonight and use the crowd to their advantage. GO FLAMES! PUT IT AWAY! TIME TO CLAIM WHAT YOU'VE PLAYED FOR!

mlugia
06-05-2004, 05:46 PM
It's funny because the flames are 5-6 at home this postseason and 10-3 away, or was it 10-2?

As long as the flames don't take too many undisciplined penalties because of all the energy that the crowd is giving them, they should be relatively set. However, watch for the main TB guys to step it up a notch. Lecav, St. Louis, Richards, etc. (funny how the main ones are all Canadian?)

Jeikobu
06-06-2004, 07:08 AM
Crap, Tampa has kept its word and has forced a Game 7 just as I feared. Well it's Monday or never. The last game of the season. No more NHL hockey until October at the earliest (and having hockey then is very unlikely with a probable lockout >_<). One team will go home with the Stanley Cup lifted high, the other with their heads held low. It's the big one. OK FLAMES! THIS IS IT! BRING THE CUP HOME! YOU CAN DO IT! LET'S GO CALGARY!!!

ElimN8
06-06-2004, 07:22 AM
Being the Bostonian that I am, should any of this concern me at all? :tongue:

Shael
06-06-2004, 03:16 PM
The problem with game 7's like this is that I always end up feeling sorry for whoever loses, no matter who I'm cheering for. So I don't think I'm gonna watch the game =P

mlugia
06-06-2004, 05:19 PM
I agree, but in this case it'd be extremely so because of all the Canadian players on TB and that Calgary is a Canadian team, so either way Canadians will win and lose the cup :(

However, I'm rooting Calgary. Setting a playoff record of 11 road wins is very feasible because of how the entire series had shaped up so far, alternating wins, and Kipprusoff is extremely good after he loses (Khavi as well)

So here's hoping for a Canadian Stanley cup!

Shael
06-08-2004, 12:24 AM
Game 7 is on right now, I guess whoever wins it I'll be happy. Calgary definitely deserves it for eliminating three division leaders (four if they win the cup), and Tampa also deserves it for randomly coming out of nowhere and getting first seed in the eastern conference. Oh and does anyone know why Detroit switched to the western? It looks a lot more towards the east to me =/

mlugia
06-08-2004, 03:28 AM
Well, it was a close and excellent game in terms of interest, but Calgary couldn't pull out from a 2-0 deficit.

Congratulations to Tampa Bay for winning the Cup. This might be a good chance to promote Hockey in the south, although Calgary deserves the cup more for actually having fans >_<

TB has so many Canadian players though, so it's a great win for Canada either way.

Jeikobu
06-08-2004, 05:07 AM
I must say it's very disappointing that the Flames couldn't win it. Canada's drought continues. However, the Flames came as close as possible without actually winning the Cup, and they would have tied the game if it weren't for Khabibulin's spectacular save with the blocker. I'm not happy about the Cup going to red hot Florida (I don't think a place like that needs a hockey team), but I'm very happy for the Lightning team. I'm very happy for Andreychuk. He really deserved it, and it's nice to see him get the Cup after going longer than any player without winning one. Khabibulin also really earned it. In fact, the whole team did. So I'm going to try to have a good attitude and be happy for Tampa Bay. CONGRATULATIONS TO THE LIGHTNING!

Oh crap, the NHL season's over. X_X

mlugia
06-08-2004, 08:59 PM
Yeah, while I don't think TB deserves a cup, the team certainly does. After that amazing move by Lecavalier to set up teh second goal, man, I was moaning that he wasn't on Canada's world cup roster. HOW DO YOU LEAVE THAT GUY OUT?! I swear, Lemieux prolly shouldn't be on that team =/

Anyways, let's hope the season will continue in October =/

King Kangaskhan
06-11-2004, 10:54 PM
Detroit is coming back next year, if they have a season.

Well St. Louis got the Hart trophy for NHL MVP and tampa coach got the best coach award.

mlugia
06-13-2004, 03:20 AM
Hasek's gonna talk to Ottawa about signing him...

As if Ottawa hiring a coach who hadn't coached in a while who has had great success in regular season but no success in postseason (sound familiar?) isn't a bad enough move, now they want to sign this whiny old washed up goalie who thinks he's good based on his stanley cup win? (FYI, Cujo in the season after that had almost identical stats to Hasek the year before, but Giguere was the difference)

akdude
06-13-2004, 07:41 AM
This sucks! Not only did my team not make it very far, but my fave goalie left! This is so not cool! But at least one of the teams i wanted to win did :D I guess it was an ok playoffs. Caint wait til next year.

mlugia
06-13-2004, 02:47 PM
It was an OK playoffs in terms of the finals, but really, TV ratings in the US hit almost all time lows, which is a bad thing in terms of $$, while Canadian ratings skyrocketed, although since we only have like 5 ppl living in Canada, that's not gonna help the lack of TV watchers in the US.

akdude
06-14-2004, 09:48 AM
True, very true. I just hope that it'll be better next year. I actually thought about goin to the pros...but it's just a dream of mine that will never come true.

Shael
06-14-2004, 05:17 PM
I actually thought about goin to the pros...but it's just a dream of mine that will never come true.

that's probably what the pros thought when they were young =P

akdude
06-14-2004, 06:05 PM
I wouldn't doubt it. I mean, no scouts r gonna come to New Mexico to get new players.

PokemonElite2000
06-14-2004, 09:59 PM
It was an OK playoffs in terms of the finals, but really, TV ratings in the US hit almost all time lows, which is a bad thing in terms of $$, while Canadian ratings skyrocketed, although since we only have like 5 ppl living in Canada, that's not gonna help the lack of TV watchers in the US.
The two teams lack star power. What I mean is in other sports, like the Lakers, that's a star power team with big names like Shaq and Kobe. And Yankees with Jeter and A-Rod.

Unless the NHL come up with a player like Gretzy, it will be hard to get people to watch it here in the US.

akdude
06-14-2004, 10:06 PM
Well no matter what, I'll never stop watchin hockey. Hockey is the best sport around. It's my life. So as long as I'm around...wait...wrong thought...nvm.

Jeikobu
06-15-2004, 01:08 AM
The two teams lack star power. What I mean is in other sports, like the Lakers, that's a star power team with big names like Shaq and Kobe. And Yankees with Jeter and A-Rod.

Unless the NHL come up with a player like Gretzy, it will be hard to get people to watch it here in the US.
Yeah but dang, there are incredible athletes in hockey. In fact the best athletes are hockey players if you ask me. Look at them! Peter Forsberg, Joe Sakic, Jarome Iginla, the list goes on!

Shael
06-15-2004, 05:22 PM
Yeah but dang, there are incredible athletes in hockey. In fact the best athletes are hockey players if you ask me. Look at them! Peter Forsberg, Joe Sakic, Jarome Iginla, the list goes on!

What I think is that there are too many "stars" in hockey so nobody really stands out which makes everyone look equal. Gretzky, Howe, people like that are legends, not just stars like Shaq or Kobe. So basically you can compare Gretzky to Jordan and Iginla to Shaq or something like that.

mlugia
06-15-2004, 09:47 PM
Actually, a lot has been said about the congestion in the NHL, where a player like WADE BELAK (TOR), whose career year was like 2 goals (2 years ago), can step on the ice at the same time as a player like Sakic and using his sheer brute force, stop Sakic by slamming him into the boards, similar to how Shaq would plow through the defense.

Hockey is a beautiful sport, especially when you watch breakaways, but in today's game where enforcers are just as important as star players, the bad teams or cheaper teams would just get a bunch of bruisers and eliminate the skill, and the game would basically be a match of trying to shove a puck through a nail's hole in a wall.

And that, I believe, is why viewership isn't going up.

Although it's interesting, because I thought ppl in the US would enjoy hockey more since people like Domi and Brashear fights and hits instead of using talent to score goals.

Jeikobu
06-16-2004, 03:03 AM
Although it's interesting, because I thought ppl in the US would enjoy hockey more since people like Domi and Brashear fights and hits instead of using talent to score goals.
What do you mean?

Anyway I agree hockey is an excellent sport. No other sport touches it. It's so fast paced and exciting to watch, and you can really get into it. Plus you have to work harder for the championship than in any other sport. And the NHL sports the ultimate sports trophy, the Stanley Cup.

mlugia
06-16-2004, 10:06 PM
I meant that I thought more americans would have loved Hockey cuz of all the fighting and violence instead of scoring like soccer and stuff.

Shael
06-17-2004, 03:22 PM
yikes (http://www.nhl.com/onthefly/news/2004/06/214324.html)

Hasek dissed the Wings.............

Well with all the veterans with the possibility of leaving what he said might be true =(

Jeikobu
08-10-2004, 03:17 AM
I meant that I thought more americans would have loved Hockey cuz of all the fighting and violence instead of scoring like soccer and stuff.
That would be pathetic. I know there are some people who think that way, but there are a great deal of fans here that love hockey for hockey and for the excitement of the game.
(BTW sorry to revive this thread but I figured it would make more sense than make a whole new one)

mlugia
08-10-2004, 03:33 AM
If so many US ppl liked Hockey, then the NJ/Anaheim and the TB/Cal Stanley cup finals should NOT be drawing all time lows in TV ratings, should they?

Shael
08-10-2004, 04:14 AM
That would be pathetic. I know there are some people who think that way, but there are a great deal of fans here that love hockey for hockey and for the excitement of the game.
(BTW sorry to revive this thread but I figured it would make more sense than make a whole new one)

it would probably make more sense to start a new thread for the 04-05 season, or even the world cup.

I dunno why the previous finals attracted such a small amount of people, but I don't think people watch hockey because of fights. small shoves and stuff happen here and there, but something big only happens in so many games out of a whole season. why would people wanna waste their time watching 5 whole hockey games when all they're hoping to see is a fight that lasts 20-30 seconds? OK, well maybe some people have the time and patience (and stupidity?) for that, but I assure you, most people don't

mlugia
08-10-2004, 01:20 PM

^ Dripping with cynacism.

Anyways, obviously ppl wouldn't watch Hockey for a 30 second fight, in case you guys can't tell I was just criticizing low viewership in the US (Particularly for the last 2 cups). It's not like anyone watches baseball for the riots, although why ppl watch baseball to begin with is like *whoosh* way over my head. Fact: USA doesn't like hockey as much as Canadians. Fact: USA prefers Baseball.

Go figure.