PDA

View Full Version : Swearing On Public Television

Neo Emolga
01-02-2006, 04:30 PM
A long, long time ago, the movie Gone With the Wind had received major censoring due to the line “Frankly my dear, I don’t give a damn.” Now, in today’s day and age, countless television shows easily get away with using the infamous “b” word (female dog) right on public television. Words that would have been considered extremely inappropriate ten years ago are now commonplace.

So this begs the question, when will it actually stop? In ten years from now, will it be acceptable to use any word on television, regardless of how vulgar it is or how much it might affect a child’s vocabulary? Exactly where and when will the line be drawn between what can be said on television, and what needs to be censored?

In my opinion, I don’t think that line may ever be drawn. Many kids, even young, are exposed to swearing in movies and in video games, and they end up using it themselves. Words that are “hot trigger words” at first then just become second nature to give things a bitter description. Many adults use swear words at home and even at the office, and even then, it’s considered acceptable. It may just be a matter of time before these words aren't even considered vulgar anymore...

So this begs the question, when and where will the line be drawn, if ever?

Pika57
01-02-2006, 04:33 PM
A long, long time ago, the movie Gone With the Wind had received major censoring due to the line “Frankly my dear, I don’t give a damn.” Now, in today’s day and age, countless television shows easily get away with using the infamous “b” word (female dog) right on public television. Words that would have been considered extremely inappropriate ten years ago are now commonplace.

So this begs the question, when will it actually stop? In ten years from now, will it be acceptable to use any word on television, regardless of how vulgar it is or how much it might affect a child’s vocabulary? Exactly where and when will the line be drawn between what can be said on television, and what needs to be censored?

In my opinion, I don’t think that line may ever be drawn. Many kids, even young, are exposed to swearing in movies and in video games, and they end up using it themselves. Words that are “hot trigger words” at first then just become second nature to give things a bitter description. Many adults use swear words at home and even at the office, and even then, it’s considered acceptable.

So this begs the question, when and where will the line be drawn, if ever?

Perhaps with time, the severity behind the words will cease to exist. I mean should there even be words that have definitionssuch, that it is inpolite to use them? I think that perhaps if everyone just accpets them we can just ge ton with everything. In a 100 years, maybe children will be saying fu** in school.

Tamer San
01-02-2006, 04:37 PM
In Arabic community, swearing in public TV, movies or series ain't allowed until this single day, even simple words such as a male dog, or anything related to mother, sister or father. But let us talk about USA, they think the more the movie or show was vulgar in talking the more it will express about what people REALLY talk in real life, they are simply showing how the community talks.

I can't talk much more about this subject as I have no enough background about it. But vulgar speaking is now so common in TV buisness that even in kids or teens series I can see guys or girls calling each other B*itches. This is a serious problem that we should stand against sometimes, I don't think I would love it when after 10 or 15 years I see my little son watching extreme vulgar in cartoon.

~Tamer

MystiKal
01-02-2006, 06:05 PM
It's never going to end, it's just going to get worst. But I don't mind since I'm a big cusser. >:O

masterryanx
01-03-2006, 06:42 AM
My opinions on this are mixed. I think they should be censored from a younger audience. But with a more mature audience (mostly for comedy) I think it's alright but the words shouldn't be overused. But hey what do I know... :rolleyes:

Zodiac
01-10-2006, 12:52 AM
Well, I think that humanity is has decided to take its shortcut to hell. But anywho, swearing is pretty common. I don't mind hearing few words of swearing in TV if it was in a funny situation. But I'm aware that many children are impacted by those movies/programs.

My brother is in a Primary school. And he comes everyday asking me for the meaning if sweas he hears in his school. -_-;;

By contrast, how could South Park be funny-as-hell without swearing?

Both opinions are well-accepted in my mind. But mostly, I support Tamer's.

Frost Wolf
01-10-2006, 12:55 AM
Perhaps with time, the severity behind the words will cease to exist. I mean should there even be words that have definitionssuch, that it is inpolite to use them? I think that perhaps if everyone just accpets them we can just ge ton with everything. In a 100 years, maybe children will be saying fu** in school.

people do say the f word in school ru kiddin me, r grade is bad.....

Neο Pikachu
01-10-2006, 01:01 AM
Although all logic directs one to believe that one should simply accept the natural flow of humanity (and thus new additions to accepted vernacular), this is difficult. Sure, if you think unemotionally and detached from the topic at hand, you can easily say that it's the most sensible thing to do to simply allow people to develop additions to their language.

HOWEVER!

As soon as you attempt to think "What if my own kids were exposed to this?" the entire situation changes. Would you really want your own 5-year-old saying fuсk, shіt, or something similar? Come to think of it, would you want your kid watching bloody violence on TV and learning about sex so early? Yes, it IS INDEED reality, but do you want to expose them to the harsh truth so soon? No! Let them keep their innocence. Let them believe in utopia. Let them believe in Santa Claus, the Tooth Fairy, and God. Don't expose children so early to the painful reality, for innocence is beautiful, and I'm sure we can all look back at our childhood with at least some fond memories that we would not want tarnished by the painful reality of swearing, sex, and violence.

Nasty Plasty
01-10-2006, 01:30 AM
I agree, I learned a lot of stuff from "That '70s show" but like the Vchip commercials say lock those shows.

Edit:WTF! I see a lot of copies. there's a banned Neo Pikachu with 4 posts! Then I saw that other Pidgeot79! This is so weird!

IT
01-10-2006, 12:57 PM
As soon as you attempt to think "What if my own kids were exposed to this?" the entire situation changes. Would you really want your own 5-year-old saying fuсk, shіt, or something similar? Come to think of it, would you want your kid watching bloody violence on TV and learning about sex so early?

Lol, my friend's 3-year-old brother says those swear words all the time, that's because my friend swears at home and the little brother is exposed to that.

I've cut down my swearing because it is against the second commandment. But occasionally I, too, swear and it feels natural, so I'm not complaining about swearing on public TV, it's just the way some people want to express themselves.

Shadow Siren
01-10-2006, 05:14 PM
Well I swear all the time! I don't understand why it's so bad... they're just words.

Neo Emolga
01-10-2006, 05:19 PM
Well I swear all the time! I don't understand why it's so bad... they're just words.

Yeah, but still, young kids shouldn't be exposed to those kinds of vulgar words at just an early age. Imagine seeing a three year old using those same words and laughing about it. You can't tell me that's right...

IT
01-10-2006, 05:26 PM

As I said before, it is bad because it is against the second commandment. If you're not a Christian, then this doesn't concern you.

Sudo
01-10-2006, 06:36 PM
As long as bad language isn't played at daytime hours it's fine IMO.

Realy, I cant see how you can be offended by a word when it's not been aimed at you.

Orange_Flaaffy
01-10-2006, 09:56 PM
Well, I just was not raised with swearing, therefore I don't use it and my friends know not to use it around me. I think the whole ' just live with it because everyone is doing it' road is the easy road out.. Maybe too easy. Anything that is worth doing is worth putting some effort behind...Little kids have so much on their plate just learning all the non-swear words in grade school in the first place...
I think for the most part swear words are lazy place holders for normal words that you could learn to use ...I guess I get offended because I think people could work on their vocabulary a little bit more..

Zodiac
01-10-2006, 11:18 PM
As I said before, it is bad because it is against the second commandment. If you're not a Christian, then this doesn't concern you.

Well, thats exactly what I do. Females here hate swearing, so I keep my moth shut around kids, old men and females. I do use swearing words a lot with my friends.