PDA

View Full Version : Removing a Search Bar

Shael
04-18-2004, 07:21 PM
Anybody know how to do it? I was just browsing through pages and I didn't really do anything but somehow it installed itself onto my browser. The name is just "searchbar," not Yahoo toolbar or anything. Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Actually I think it installed itself onto my computer because it's still there after I close my browser...

Matt & Vulpix
04-18-2004, 08:38 PM
I had this problem.
Look in your Program files, and look for folder 'whenusearch'. Uninstall that.

Techno Treecko
04-21-2004, 02:14 PM
There's also a program that might remove it, as well as any other Adware and Spyware. Most search toolbars that attach themselves to your browser are just pop-up producers, otherwise known as "adware". There is a program called Adaware that can remove all adware and spyware from your computer system. You can find it here :wink2::

http://download.com.com/3000-8022-10214379.html?tag=lst-0-6

Alakazam
04-21-2004, 05:43 PM
Go to your Control Panel, and go to "Add / Remove Programs"

Check to see if the program "Search Toolbar" (that's the one that installed on my system) or a similar program, and remove it)

Is it illegal for somone to install a program on a computer remotely without consent?

Matt & Vulpix
04-21-2004, 10:54 PM
I thought you said it was legal, Zam?

And TT, Adaware doesn't work for this particular searchbar... ^_^;

RaichuGuardian
04-27-2004, 12:08 AM
Sry about reviving an old thread. WhenUSearch...yes, I had that. AdAware does work, you just have to scan the WHOLE hard drive. Do a custom scan. It will work.

Alakazam
04-27-2004, 05:09 PM
Matt > Nah, I didn't say that...it must have been someone else.

RaichuGuardian > Yeah, I use AdAware, and it works just fine (though I like Spysweeper better). I've also had "WhenUSearch", until I got rid of it.

Matt & Vulpix
04-27-2004, 06:22 PM
Well I remember SOMEONE saying that it was legal.

Kenny_C.002
04-28-2004, 02:48 AM
It's supposedly legal for big companies to do that? I don't know.

Anyway, I'm wondering whether the installation of the google search bar delete it...probably not.

Since so many people had it, maybe it's from a website we all go to...

Alakazam
04-28-2004, 10:51 AM
Since so many people had it, maybe it's from a website we all go to...

...or maybe they pick up our IPs here. :ponder: :think: :ermm: :shifty:

Kenny_C.002
04-29-2004, 03:59 AM
Unless you're using cable 24/7, it's practically impossible to track the exact IP of a computer (since it changes every time you disconnect basically). It might be possible that they pick up our IPs here tho, I think they might have the technology to do it.

Either way, jsut surf sparingly I guess. lol

PokemonElite2000
04-29-2004, 11:31 PM
...or maybe they pick up our IPs here. :ponder: :think: :ermm: :shifty:
Not likely, I'm the only one that can view IPs, no one else can. Never had to do that, even with trouble makers, I can deal with the member without the IP. And besides, IPs aren't that useful as some may believe, not everyone has a static IP (an IP that never changes). In fact, a website can easily track their visitors IPs. Some forum owners actually ban people by IP, which I think is useless most of the time, since a lot of people don't have their own IP. For example, for AOL members, you get a different IP everytime you login. Bottom line, don't stress to much about the IPs.

Go to your Control Panel, and go to "Add / Remove Programs"

Check to see if the program "Search Toolbar" (that's the one that installed on my system) or a similar program, and remove it)

Is it illegal for somone to install a program on a computer remotely without consent?
Here's the problem, when you install spyware and adware on your computer, you gave consent to it, but you just don't know it (and there's several ways going about that). Legally speaking, it's legal when you go on a site, and it installs something on your computer, most of time you accidently and unknowingly press OK or Yes to something that made something install. If it was a illegal, a lot of these spying companies would be busted. But unforunately, they have worked around the law, and there are some politicians that are trying to change that (and that's definitely a long process, espicially with so much going on in the world).

Kenny_C.002
04-30-2004, 01:39 AM
The only thing useful that they tell me with IPs is the similarities between them in let's say two members (usually spammers in these cases). Seeing that, we can keep a closer eye on things tho. YEs, the darn IP thing is shown in my comp too, not that it matters (as PE2K said).

Only thing I can think of that's even worth it is what internet service they use...I think. Haven't checked in too long to remember. lol