PDA

View Full Version : Sickness interfering with school.

Clutch
02-03-2006, 08:36 PM
Do you think that it is fair to hold back someone who has missed an amount of days, due to them being sick numerous amounts of times?

I don't think it's fair, because last year I had pneumonia and it lasted for 3 weeks, so I was out around 20 days. And also, I missed other days of school as well due to sicknesses. In all I missed around 26 days of school, and they were considering holding me back.

So, what do you think? Do you think it's fair?

Neo Emolga
02-03-2006, 08:43 PM
Definitely not.

I will agree, something should be done to help the person get back on track so they can at least continue school on a normal track, because sometimes you just can't help it.

And hate to say it, but if you get held back in high school, it looks really bad when you try to apply to colleges.

Nefarious
02-03-2006, 08:54 PM
It sucks to know that people would even consider it. They could at least send your homework home with somebody. It's not your fault you're missing school, it's the deadly germ's fault. =P

Nasty Plasty
02-03-2006, 09:07 PM
It sucks to know that people would even consider it. They could at least send your homework home with somebody. It's not your fault you're missing school, it's the deadly germ's fault. =P
I agree Nef.

Just because you get sick doesn't mean you get held back. They did that with my half-brother. He was skateboarding on this huge halfpipe and I guess he kind of did something wrong so he slipped when he was going up the halfpipe. He was right next to the top. He slipped beat himself on the corner and fell off the other side. He was out of school for a month because he was seriously injured. They held him back.

Japucar
02-03-2006, 09:13 PM
I know this sounds creepy, but I see it like this:

No matter the reason for your absence, you aren't in school and can therefore not learn anything, even though it is not their fault. I am NOT saying that people shold be held back, I am saying that teachers haven't made it a mission for themselves to hold pupils back, they would only do it in situations where the pupil would have serious problems in the next grade because of the time he or she missed.

Clutch
02-03-2006, 10:14 PM
I know this sounds creepy, but I see it like this:

No matter the reason for your absence, you aren't in school and can therefore not learn anything, even though it is not their fault. I am NOT saying that people shold be held back, I am saying that teachers haven't made it a mission for themselves to hold pupils back, they would only do it in situations where the pupil would have serious problems in the next grade because of the time he or she missed.

Some of that may be true, but there are statements I dissagree with. Also, when you said when your not in school you can't learn anything. That's not true, you are able to get homework from students at your school. And the homework that you get is bound to have directions or instructions on it, so therefore you are able to learn outside of school, and you shouldn't be held back.

Japucar
02-03-2006, 10:17 PM
Some of that may be true, but there are statements I dissagree with. Also, when you said when your not in school you can't learn anything. That's not true, you are able to get homework from students at your school. And the homework that you get is bound to have directions or instructions on it, so therefore you are able to learn outside of school, and you shouldn't be held back.
I think we should stop posting our opinions in the DCC,eh?

I believe we go to school in two different countries, so therefore our school systems are different. That might be the reason why you get homework brought out to you, which we don't.

Clutch
02-03-2006, 10:19 PM
I think we should stop posting our opinions in the DCC,eh?

I believe we go to school in two different countries, so therefore our school systems are different. That might be the reason why you get homework brought out to you, which we don't.

Yes.

Anyways, if you live in a different country, that may be different. But maybe you could phone a friend that's in your class to ask what happened, or maybe he could show you. There are many other possible solutions also.

Japucar
02-03-2006, 10:24 PM
Yes.

Anyways, if you live in a different country, that may be different. But maybe you could phone a friend that's in your class to ask what happened, or maybe he could show you. There are many other possible solutions also.
Yes, but it is not possible when you are truly sick.

I, for one, only stay home when I am too sick to work. So, i wouldn't be able to do homework even if I got found out what to do.

Clutch
02-03-2006, 10:31 PM
Yes, but it is not possible when you are truly sick.

I, for one, only stay home when I am too sick to work. So, i wouldn't be able to do homework even if I got found out what to do.

Well, when you had the chance to, you could, but if your out of school for like 30 days with a sickness (which would be highly unlikly) you couldn't even turn the work in. That's what sucks about school, it's just not fair!

Japucar
02-03-2006, 10:34 PM
Well, when you had the chance to, you could, but if your out of school for like 30 days with a sickness (which would be highly unlikly) you couldn't even turn the work in. That's what sucks about school, it's just not fair!
Then what would you do if you were the teachers/principals in that situation?

Send the pupil on some class, so they can keep up? If I am not mistaking, isn't that what summerschool is for?

Clutch
02-03-2006, 11:39 PM
Then what would you do if you were the teachers/principals in that situation?

Send the pupil on some class, so they can keep up? If I am not mistaking, isn't that what summerschool is for?

Yes, but summerschool is everyones nightmare as well. And if I was the principal, I would contact the parents, and tell them the correct way to deal with this, and what educational purposes they need to serve.

Orthar
02-04-2006, 02:02 AM
Hell no I don't think so, I too had pneumonia a few weeks ago and came back to school on the last day of first semester, well my science teacher had sent me no work and I ende up getting a D because of lack of tests and stuff, I wias and still am PISSED

Clutch
02-04-2006, 02:07 AM
Hell no I don't think so, I too had pneumonia a few weeks ago and came back to school on the last day of first semester, well my science teacher had sent me no work and I ende up getting a D because of lack of tests and stuff, I wias and still am PISSED

Exactly my point, I mean it's not fair if you get a low grade due to the fact of the teacher being ignorant and forgetting to give you your work, and you get a low grade because of it. That stuff just makes me mad...

Orthar
02-04-2006, 02:11 AM
It made me mad too

Clutch
02-04-2006, 02:14 AM
It made me mad too

I would have suspected that it would've. School systems are just insane these days, they need to think a little bit about how they are going to keep the students up with the work that they have to do, I mean really, isn't that thier job? To educate the kids? Correct me if I'm wrong, which I highly doubt in this situation...

Pidgeot79
02-04-2006, 02:18 AM
My policy would be as long as you get a passing grade at the end of the year, you should be able to advance to the next grade. I don't even learn much in the classroom from my teachers, I learn mainly from reading what's in the book.

Clutch
02-04-2006, 02:24 AM
My policy would be as long as you get a passing grade at the end of the year, you should be able to advance to the next grade. I don't even learn much in the classroom from my teachers, I learn mainly from reading what's in the book.

(Wow pidge, you actually had a serious post!)

Anyways, yeah, but if you get like a D in all of your classes without being sick, then you shouldn't advance to the next grade, but if you were sick, and the teachers never gave you the work to do, then I would understand. Man, school's F***'d up!

Orthar
02-08-2006, 02:46 AM
Exactly my point Patrick

Clutch
02-08-2006, 02:51 AM
Exactly my point Patrick

Yeah.

The school systems need to know how to work and know exactly what's going on. There just acting like retards it seems like, not to be literal, but you know what I mean....

Finglonger
02-08-2006, 06:09 AM
If you don't learn the material..you don't get to pass on. If you can recover from a prolonged sickness with a good knowledge of the subject matter, then good for you..they can't justify holding you back then, as long as you fight them to the bitter end.

Dont let them do whatever they want with you, make sure that you as well as your parents are in active communication with the principal..and if need be your local school board/superintendent.