PDA

View Full Version : Feel free to point and laugh at me, but at least halp too

kaid711
06-20-2006, 04:16 PM
In case you didn't read the introduce yourself thread, I'm actually here on behalf of my 6 year old son. We have all of the GBA games and GC games and have just started getting into the card games. We know names, moves, evolutions, etc, but one thing we're clueless on, is succesful team building. I mean, he's 6. He picks the cool looking ones, levels them up and has fun with it. Now, for me, I'm looking at 1-2-3-4 years down the road where he has all this time invested and really sub par mons.

We just finished XD yesterday and got started on the Orre Colleseum and MT. Battle challenges. He loves the legendaries, but since you can't use in Orre, he picked out his 6 favorites. Please keep in mind he's 6 and took a lot of same type moves without knowing better. I'm not sure how or where to start to fix them. So, here's who we got:

Blaziken (shiny, shows up Crimson, grayish white and almost orange, very cool), level 71, Adamant
Slash
Mirror Move
Sky Uppercut
Blaze Kick

Blastoise, level 83, Hardy
Hydro Pump
Bite
Water gun
Hydro Cannon

Sceptile, level 87, Mild
Leaf Blade
Slam
Quick Attack
Absorb

Dragonite, level 92, Bold
Hyper Beam
Outrage
Wing Attack
Flamethrower

Tyranitar, level 61, Relaxed
Crunch
Thunder
Rock Slide
Earthquake

Salamence, level 62, serious
Ember
Headbutt
Crunch
Dragonbreath

For playing on the games, the move sets don't really matter. However, I just don't want him to be getting whooped on in a few years when his friends start playing. This may not be our final team, but any input on the move sets to help fix these 6 would be greatly appreciated. I read through the threads trying to learn, but, I just don't get it. If anyone wants to help this old man out, I'd really appreciate it. Also, if their are any suggestion on "cool" looking mons that we could work in to help stregthen our team, I'd appreciate that as well. Thanks!!

Ridley
06-20-2006, 04:25 PM
In case you didn't read the introduce yourself thread, I'm actually here on behalf of my 6 year old son. We have all of the GBA games and GC games and have just started getting into the card games. We know names, moves, evolutions, etc, but one thing we're clueless on, is succesful team building. I mean, he's 6. He picks the cool looking ones, levels them up and has fun with it. Now, for me, I'm looking at 1-2-3-4 years down the road where he has all this time invested and really sub par mons.

We just finished XD yesterday and got started on the Orre Colleseum and MT. Battle challenges. He loves the legendaries, but since you can't use in Orre, he picked out his 6 favorites. Please keep in mind he's 6 and took a lot of same type moves without knowing better. I'm not sure how or where to start to fix them. So, here's who we got:

Blaziken (shiny, shows up Crimson, grayish white and almost orange, very cool), level 71, Adamant
Slash
Mirror Move
Sky Uppercut
Blaze Kick

Hydro Pump
Bite
Water gun
Hydro Cannon

Sceptile, level 87, Mild
Leaf Blade
Slam
Quick Attack
Absorb

Hyper Beam
Outrage
Wing Attack
Flamethrower

physical/Dragon Dance
Return
Rock Slide
Earthquake

Physical
Physical
Physical
Dragon dance/physical

For playing on the games, the move sets don't really matter. However, I just don't want him to be getting whooped on in a few years when his friends start playing. This may not be our final team, but any input on the move sets to help fix these 6 would be greatly appreciated. I read through the threads trying to learn, but, I just don't get it. If anyone wants to help this old man out, I'd really appreciate it. Also, if their are any suggestion on "cool" looking mons that we could work in to help stregthen our team, I'd appreciate that as well. Thanks!!
I'm not that good with movesets; I'll think of more later.

And for "cool" stuff, I always thought Snorlax was cool, and he's really useful.

Nasty Plasty
06-20-2006, 04:34 PM
Here goes.

Blaziken Level 85, Adamant
Flamethrower
Bulk Up
Brick Break
Reversal

Despite being in-game, you should still have some sense in strategy.

Blastoise, level 87, +Sp. Def -Speed nature
Hydro Pump/Surf for accuracy
Rapid Spin
Ice Beam
Substitute

Sceptile, level 87, Mild
Leaf Blade
Substitute
Leech seed(Better recovery than Absorb)
Detect/Dragon Claw

Dragonite, level 92, Any nature not lowering attack
Hyper Beam
Dragon Dance
Aerial Ace
Dragon Claw

Tyranitar, level 85, Relaxed
Dragon Dance
Earthquake
Rock Slide
Hyper Beam/Flamethrower

Salamence, level 85, +attack -Sp. Def/def nature
Dragon Dance
Dragon Claw
Hyper Beam
Brick Break

I'm not that good at this...

Thrall
06-20-2006, 04:37 PM

Rockslide
Earthquake
Sky Uppercut/SwordDance/BulkUp
Overheat

Surf
Counter
Icebeam
Toxic

Sceptile, level 87, Mild
Leaf Blade
HiddenPower ( Water or Ice )
LeechSeed
Substitute

[If you wanna breed then DragonDance]
FocusPunch
Earthquake
Thunderbolt
ThunderWave/Attract/Substitute

FocusPunch
Substitute
Thunderbolt
Crunch

DragonClaw/DragonDance[DD is Breed Move]
AerialAce
HiddenPower[Ice]
Earthquake

You have cool looking Pokemon but their movesets sucks ass. Your kid would get killed by a Retard. If you want a cool looking pwner Pokemon I suggest Gyrados.

Gyrados:AdamantNature@Leftovers
Ev's:You don't know what these are but I'll list it anyways 252Atk/252Spd
ThunderWave/Taunt/HydroPump
Earthquake
HiddenPower [Flying]
DragonDance

Pfft old people shouldn't play pokemon xD.

Dragon_Seeker
06-20-2006, 05:32 PM
Slash
Mirror Move
Sky Uppercut
Blaze Kick

I would never lead with a Fire type unless it is a Will-O-Wisp Moltres; fire type leads like Blaziken tend to be killed very easily by any of the popular lead choices (Zapdos, Milotic, randon normal CBer, Salamence, etc).

As for its moveset...

~ Focus Punch
~ Fire Blast / Flamethrower / Blaze Kick
~ Sky Uppercut
~ Rock Slide
@ Choice Band

This is an extremely easy set to operate. You simply pick an attack based on what you feel is appropriate. However, I warn you that you will be switching a lot with this moveset. Blaze Kick is not nearly as good as Fire Blast or Flamethrower, but this is ingame, therefore it's an option. And it looks cool in the 3D games, I guess.

Hydro Pump
Bite
Water gun
Hydro Cannon

Hmm... okay. I'm going to take a wild guess that your son likes starters. Well, whatever. You need a water type for almost any team and Blastoise fits this one decently...

~ Rapid Spin
~ Toxic
~ Ice Beam
~ Surf
@ Leftovers

Okay. This is a typical water type. Blastoise doesn't really have the special attack required to go crazy and kill everyone, therefore we're going to use him more defensively. Simple. Toxic can hurt things, Ice Beam because it also hurts things, rapid spin is interchangeable here. I doubt his friends will know how dangerous the moves "Spikes" or "Leech Seed" can be.

Sceptile, level 87, Mild
Leaf Blade
Slam
Quick Attack
Absorb

Sceptile doesn't really perform ingame unless you breed it for either of its two best moves (Leech Seed or Endeavor).

~ Leech Seed
~ Leaf Blade
~ Dragon Claw
~ Substitute
@ Leftovers

Simple, actually, but you need to breed Leech Seed onto it. The idea is to use Leech Seed, then Substitute. Leech Seed + Leftovers should recover a nice amount of HP while draining your foe's. Endeavor set is too much work ingame so I won't bother; he'd need to understand EVs and such.

Hyper Beam
Outrage
Wing Attack
Flamethrower

Dragonite has a million options, I'll list a few:

~ Focus Punch
~ Ice Beam
~ Aerial Ace / Earthquake
~ Thunderbolt
@ Leftovers

You need to predict extremely carefully with this set, based on what the opponent's likely to do, but the payoff can be amazing. Substitute is outdated, nobody suggest it. If you have Hidden Power Grass, I'd use it; HP Grass, Ice Beam, Focus Punch, Flamethrower is quite fun.

~ Dragon Dance
~ Aerial Ace
~ Earthquake
~ Thunder
@ Leftovers

Ever since I started using the Focus Punch set, I stopped using Dragon Dance but the Dragon Dancer is pretty effective too. Dance, then kill things with Earthquake/Aerial Ace. Thunder if they throw a water type at you.

Crunch
Thunder
Rock Slide
Earthquake

As crazy as it sounds, this isn't terrible for ingame. Just give it Leftovers and you'll actually be okay with it.

Ember
Headbutt
Crunch
Dragonbreath

~ Aerial Ace
~ Earthquake
~ Rock Slide
~ Flamethrower
@ Choice Band

This is probably his best set here... special Salamence is: Fire Blast, Dragon Claw, Hydro Pump, Toxic @ Leftovers but I wouldn't recommend it here.

celebi
06-20-2006, 05:44 PM
DS spoke again.Great movesets but I would suggest DD instead of Flamethrower for sala and thunder wave instead of focus punch for dragonite.

Blaziken is really great but I love @leftovers.

substitute
EQ
Focus punch
flamethrower

Dragon_Seeker
06-20-2006, 05:50 PM
^ Believe me when I say that Dragonite without Dragon Dance needs Focus Punch for the millions of high-tier pokemon that otherwise block him out. Snorlax, Regice and Blissey, for instance.

celebi
06-20-2006, 06:07 PM
^ Believe me when I say that Dragonite without Dragon Dance needs Focus Punch for the millions of high-tier pokemon that otherwise block him out. Snorlax, Regice and Blissey, for instance.

Yes you've got a point but still losing his focus is a high possibility so maybe a hexer can help before dragonite.

kaid711
06-21-2006, 01:06 AM
I know the move sets sucked. As I've been learning (albeit slowly) I realized it. That's why I cam for professional help.

Yes, my son loves the started. He has a level 100 Charizard that I couldn't get info on. He's stored on Box right now. He's also got 100 Lugia, Rayquaza and Mewtwo. Starters, legendaries and dragons....what more could a 6 year old ask for?

I'm not looking for him to have the best of the best. I just want him to be able to be competitive if he decided to battle his friends. I mean at 6, he gets the concept of multiple types and why he wants different moves. He doesn't quite understand buffing/debuffing/and using other abilities. He's all about the attacks.

Blaziken isn't the starter. He was just first on my list :) He usually starts with Dragonite. Not sure if that's good or bad. Again, the old guy is trying here.

Would it be better to switch his Sceptile for a Venusaur? We have a 60ish one of those as well. If we're gonna hatch a Sceptile, I would really probaly redo a brand new team for him.

Nasty Plasty
06-21-2006, 01:15 AM
I know the move sets sucked. As I've been learning (albeit slowly) I realized it. That's why I cam for professional help.

Yes, my son loves the started. He has a level 100 Charizard that I couldn't get info on. He's stored on Box right now. He's also got 100 Lugia, Rayquaza and Mewtwo. Starters, legendaries and dragons....what more could a 6 year old ask for?

I'm not looking for him to have the best of the best. I just want him to be able to be competitive if he decided to battle his friends. I mean at 6, he gets the concept of multiple types and why he wants different moves. He doesn't quite understand buffing/debuffing/and using other abilities. He's all about the attacks.

Blaziken isn't the starter. He was just first on my list :) He usually starts with Dragonite. Not sure if that's good or bad. Again, the old guy is trying here.

Would it be better to switch his Sceptile for a Venusaur? We have a 60ish one of those as well. If we're gonna hatch a Sceptile, I would really probaly redo a brand new team for him.
Umm...hear is a good(guess) of a Venusaur moveset.

Venusaur Lv. 85 + Atk or Sp. Atk Nature-anything else
Sludge Bomb
Sleep Powder
Leech Seed
Razor Leaf/Giga Drain

Dragon_Seeker
06-21-2006, 02:01 AM
Yes you've got a point but still losing his focus is a high possibility so maybe a hexer can help before dragonite.
Umm, or we could switch him into something we have a blatantly distinct advantage over, predict the switch and throw a Focus Punch at them, knowing fully well that if they stick around they die to any of our other moves. For instance, Skarmory. If it stays, we Thunderbolt it and it dies. Horribly. If it switches, we could potentially Focus Punch. But are they willing to risk their best wall for a whiff? I doubt it.