Base stats:
HP-100-404
att-134-366
def-110-319
sp.att-95-289
sp.def-100-299
speed-61-220

Ruby/Sapphire Text
Tyranitar is so overwhelmingly powerful, it can bring down a whole mountain to make its nest. This Pokémon wanders about in mountains seeking new opponents to fight.
FireRed/LeafGreen Text
Its body can't be harmed by any sort of attack, so it is very eager to make challenges against enemies.
Emerald Text
A TYRANITAR is so overwhelmingly powerful, it can bring down a whole mountain to make its nest. It roams in mountains seeking new opponents to fight.

SET 1:(people call it the tyraniboah)
@leftovers
-crunch
-focus punch
-thunderbolt/thunder
-substitute
First of all, this wastes tyranitar's massive 134 base attack power. Crunch with STAB
2HKOs celebi and beats the hell out of starmie, donphan and rhydon that come and ruin your fun. Thunder(bolt) that skarmory and suicune to its graves and focus punch is for the special walls like blissey or regice thinking that this tyranitar is a special sweeper. substitute is when your opponent switches and using focus punch. I absoutely cannot believe that this set has become so popular among netbattle, but I guess netbattlers are as paranoid as they are...

SET 2:
2:Destructotar or DDtar
@leftovers
-focus punch/taunt
-rock slide
-dragon dance
-earthquake
This is the physical sweeping set, prior to the set above. If you can dragon dance about 2 times, this should beat the hell out of the opponent's team with 2x powered focus punches and earthquakes. Basically, focus punch is for skarmory switch-ins that would normally wall you. rock slide is for STAB and can do a huge chunk to heracross if a DD is added onto it. Earthquake is for metagross, and does a fat chunk to other tyranitars as well, if you suck at predicting. Taunt is there to negate any attempt to haze, or paralyze you. A paralyzed DDtar is a dead tyranitar.

SET 3:Gimmick tar
@leftovers
-ice beam
-rock slide
-HP flying
-focus punch
This is purely a gimmick set. Don't bother using it unless you want a fun set to mess around with. But Ice beam destroys salamence,claydol, and other grassers,but I guess HP flying would do more damage. Focus punch is used for taking advantage of that massive attack power and guess what HP flying's gonna be used for again? Beating the crap out of heracross, breloom, and medicham, though you can easily OHKO medicham with focus punch.

SET 4:Choice bander
@choice band
-earthquake
-rock slide
-HP bug
-body slam/focus punch
Tyranitar makes a surprisingly good choice bander. Focus punch OHKOs swamperts with no defense EVs, and body slam for paralysis hax. CB rock slide can beat the hell out of heracross and earthquake OHKOs metagross, which would normally stop you in your tracks. HP bug is for OHKOing celebi, sceptile, and exeguttor that can kill tyranitar with its grass attacks. But it is inferior to the DD tar move set.

Other options:curse, thunder wave, torment, and roar. All of these options suck except curse.

EVs:
1. Set 1 should have these EVs: 68hp/252 sp.att/122 def/68 speed. That will give tyranitar 317 sp.att and 158 speed, enough to outspeed weezing with no speed EVs. Why quiet and not mild? because your sub can break more easily, with snorlax's max attack can break your subs.

2. Well, the second set should have max att, and enough speed EVs for tyranitar to have over 200 speed. you can max out speed to 242 with jolly nature if you're paranoid about outspeeding adamant dugtrio, because after DD, max speed tyranitar gets about 363 speed, but I'd use adamant for the massive attack power. Here's what I use.
62 HP/252 att/196 speed.

3. Set 3 needs some sp.att, and mostly on attack. The EVs left can go to about anywhere, I guess.

4. Set 4 needs max att, and equally divided EVs in defense stats or max speed. End of story.

Opinion: A great physical, special, or mixed sweeper. In a netbattle, tyranitar can wreak havoc of its opponent if played right and it can be used in different styles. But a 4X weakness to fighting attacks sucks.

counters:Donphan, Swampert, Flygon, Claydol, Suicune, Machamp, Hariyama, Breloom,heracross,milotic. (Tyranitar has so many counters these days! That's the problem!)

Thrall
06-29-2006, 09:36 PM
I like it. I never used the Gimme Tar. I just might though when I'm bored.

David Um
06-29-2006, 09:44 PM
I like it. I never used the Gimme Tar. I just might though when I'm bored.

were you talking about my analysis or my gimmick tyranitar? I haven't been appreciated like that before. Thank you.

Dragon_Seeker
06-29-2006, 11:40 PM
Boah's EVs are:

252 HP / 188 Satk / 68 Spd

And how does Tyraniboah being popular indicate that Netbattlers are paranoid? Yes, we like being prepared for common pokemon but that just tells me that we want to win - and when you're creating a team, being paranoid is actually smart (to an extent). That, and during Boah's fifteen minutes of fame, it was insanely good because there were only 2-3 counters for it. Of those 3 counters, only 2 could repeatedly switch into STAB Crunches and live.

Focus Punch on DDtar is stupid. Taunt beats Skarmory already. Blissey loses 1-on-1 anyways. Focus Punch is overkill. It's redundant. Ice Beam is the only thing I'd consider there because it OHKOs Flygon, who was popular for a while, but then you're open to Skarmory and too many others for it to be worthwhile.

Gimmick TTar looks like a bunch of moves just thrown together.

Focus Punch >> Body Slam on CBtar because you can no longer ruin Skarmory so using Focus Punch becomes viable. Body Slam offers... para support. If you want paralysis support, don't sacrifice one of your CBer's moveslots for it (unless they literally have nothing else, which is not the case for Tyranitar).

Focus Punch does not OHKO Swampert. Show me the calculations.

Medicham resists Fighting. Focus Punch wouldn't OHKO him either.

Hidden Power Grass, Fire Blast and Pursuit definitely deserve to be extra options.

David Um
06-30-2006, 12:00 AM
Tyraniboah's Evs don't have to be that way.

Oh good point about Medicham resisting focus punch. But CB tar's focus punch does a lot to swampert.

calculations: tyranitar's CBpunch to swampert with max HP

404/216=1.87

150 x 1.87 x 1.5 = 421

421 x 0.85 = 358/404 damage.

This is the factor that I use when I caluclate damage.
You were right about tyranitar's focus punch not OHKOing swampert but it can severely injure swampert.

Seawolf
06-30-2006, 04:46 AM
EDIT: Eh, I changed my mind about locking this. I think you should make things like this all in one thread instead of making seperate ones for each Pokemon, though.

These would be helpful to those who have common questions about Pokemon like this.

Dragon_Seeker
06-30-2006, 11:58 AM
Tyraniboah's Evs don't have to be that way.
I beg to differ. Yes, they do or else you don't get the 101 HP Subs, which is vital when using Focus Punch. The only possible reason for defense EVs on Tyranitar is to survive a specific attack you might be worried about. If your EVs guaranteed your Substitute would live through a Snorlax Earthquake or something, then it would be fine. As it is, they don't do much for the set; and they certainly do less than giving Boah 252 HP would. And it's not like 317 is too different from 300 and guarantees a 2HKO against something important; if it guaranteed you could 2HKO Milotic that would be different, but it doesn't and it takes away your way around Seismic Toss, which was one of Boah's biggest draws over the other once-popular subpuncher (Dragonite).

Oh good point about Medicham resisting focus punch. But CB tar's focus punch does a lot to swampert.

You were right about tyranitar's focus punch not OHKOing swampert but it can severely injure swampert.
Actually, I use damage calculators or the damage formula. And they say that Swampert with standard EVs (so 270 defense) would take 262 damage on average, while Swampert with no defense EVs would take 328 damage on average (peak damage is 354, min damage is 301). Assuming Swampert is EVed properly in HP, even with 0 defense it still survives.

David Um
06-30-2006, 02:59 PM
what's swampert going to use Defense EV's for, otherwise max defense?

Dragon_Seeker
06-30-2006, 09:43 PM
what's swampert going to use Defense EV's for, otherwise max defense?
Surviving the hits to setup a Curse maybe? Maybe so when he Curses up with Snorlax he's guaranteed to win regardless of Snorlax's EVs? Maybe so he can switch in on Rock Slide easier but decides that going max defense is too much because he's a tank and not a wall like Milotic? Maybe because Meteor Mash and Earthquake from CBgross hurt him too severely without them?

Just some of the many reasons.

Pika57
06-30-2006, 09:55 PM
Even though Megumi okayed it, I don't like these threads.

Your still just copying stuff off smogon, rewording the moveset descriptions, and slightly modifiying some of the movesets...

Echo
06-30-2006, 10:02 PM
Even though Megumi okayed it, I don't like these threads.

Your still just copying stuff off smogon, rewording the moveset descriptions, and slightly modifiying some of the movesets...

Who says he can't waste his time doing it?:silenced: