PDA

View Full Version : Competitive Team

swimdivus
07-01-2006, 09:57 PM
I'm competing in a tourney soon and I need to know what people think about a team I may use. A few pokemon abilities and moves are undefined as I have not yet decided what they should be.

Rules of the tourney: 2v2 battle, 4 pokemon, no same pokemon, each item must be different, no soul dew item, no enigma berry item, no wobbuffet with leftovers, no mew celebi jirachi or deoxys

Here's my plan (any ?? is an undecided):

Latios (M) @ ??
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 6 HP / 252 Spd / 252 SAtk
Rash Nature (+SAtk, -SDef)
- Ice Beam
- Protect
- Recover
- Psychic

Groudon () @ Shell Bell
Trait: Drought
EVs: ??
?? Nature
- Earthquake
- Rest
- Sleeptalk
- Eruption

Rayquaza () @ ??
Trait: Air Lock
EVs: 252 Spd / ??
?? Nature
- Rest
- Sleeptalk
- Icebeam
- Earthquake

Zapdos () @ ??
Trait: Pressure
Nature (+SAtk, ??)
- Thunderbolt
- Protect
- Lightscreen
- ??

I am thinking Leftovers on Zapdos since he has no way of healing himself, since I am only allowed one leftovers.

Any thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. There has been much use of Groudon, Kyogre, Rayquaza, Ho-oh, and/or Lugia form the winners of the previous regions.

Thrall
07-01-2006, 10:34 PM
I'm competing in a tourney soon and I need to know what people think about a team I may use. A few pokemon abilities and moves are undefined as I have not yet decided what they should be.

Rules of the tourney: 2v2 battle, 4 pokemon, no same pokemon, each item must be different, no soul dew item, no enigma berry item, no wobbuffet with leftovers, no mew celebi jirachi or deoxys

Here's my plan (any ?? is an undecided):

Latios (M) @ Petaya Berry
- Ice Beam
- Protect
- Recover
- Psychic

Groudon () @ Shell Bell
EVs: 252Atk/252Spd
?? Nature
- Earthquake
- OverHeat
-SwordDance
-RockSlide

Rayquaza () @ Liechi Berry
?? Nature
-Icebeam
-Earthquake
-DragonDance
-AerialAce

Zapdos () @ Leftovers
Nature (+SAtk, ??)
- Thunderbolt
- Protect
- Lightscreen
-HiddenPower [Grass/Ice]

I am thinking Leftovers on Zapdos since he has no way of healing himself, since I am only allowed one leftovers.

Any thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. There has been much use of Groudon, Kyogre, Rayquaza, Ho-oh, and/or Lugia form the winners of the previous regions.
Is Wobbufet legal in this tourny. If it is I strongly suggest Wobba. You might want Mewtwo also.

pokeplayer66
07-01-2006, 10:40 PM
yeah my wobby tagged along...bringing wobbeefut is bringing the "big guns"

swimdivus
07-01-2006, 10:40 PM
yes wobbuffet is legal... just no leftovers on him

Thrall
07-01-2006, 10:49 PM
Yeah Wobba pretty much pwns everything.

Wobbufet@CalmNature@ShellBell/Lum Berry
Trait:ShadowTag
Ev's:4Hp/252Spd/252Def
Counter
MirrorCoat
SafeGuard
Encore.

The only thing that blocks this is a monster with Taunt. SafeGuard for handling status problems which is a pain for Wobba. Encore to make your opponent repeat moves. This Tourny seems like a UBER one so pack Mewtwo.

Dragon_Seeker
07-01-2006, 11:13 PM
Latios (M) @ ??
- Ice Beam
- Protect
- Recover
- Psychic

Psychic and Recover suck in 2v2, use Thunder or Thunderbolt over one of them and Dragon Claw over the other. Dragon Claw / Ice Beam / Thunder or Thunderbolt / Protect can seriously bash things up in 2v2.

Groudon () @ Shell Bell
EVs: ??
?? Nature
- Earthquake
- Rest
- Sleeptalk
- Eruption

As cool as resttalking may seem, it's not particularly effective here. I'd use Earthquake, Rock Slide, Protect, Swords Dance. Shell Bell can stay. It would also be worthwhile to train either an Exeggutor or a Shiftry to partner with him; you're allowed 6 pokemon in JAA. You only use 4 in battle, but it's best to have a team of 6 usable guys so you can have more options.

Rayquaza () @ ??
?? Nature
- Rest
- Sleeptalk
- Icebeam
- Earthquake

Use Aerial Ace over Rest and Protect over Sleep Talk. You don't have the lifespan of Lugia or anything, so don't expect to survive much sleeping or not. Lead with this and Latios and you should deal some damage. Ice Beam isn't particularly effective here, that's Latios's job. I'd use Extremespeed to knock down weakened pokemon. Scope Lens or whatever here; Latios should have Lum Berry.

Zapdos () @ ??
Nature (+SAtk, ??)
- Thunderbolt
- Protect
- Lightscreen
- ??

I'm not a fan of Zapdos here because you don't have Kyogre for 100 accuracy on Thunder. If possible, I'd consider Blissey here. Latios and whatever grass type you pick to go with should decimate Groudon anyways and Blissey adds some resistance to special attacks with Light Screen. If you are reluctant, I'd use Lugia here...

LUGIA - PRESSURE
@ Leftovers
~ Light Screen
~ Icy Wind
~ Aeroblast
~ Recover

If Lugia isn't available then... keep Zapdos and use Drill Peck in the last slot... for Ludicolo and other grasses who start, I guess. If nothing else it could lead with Rayquaza and provide Light Screen to sop up that nasty 4x Ice weak, while adding something to hit Ludicolo and Kyogre with.

Actually, now that I think about it, Zapdos could work.

Your last two pokemon should be something to benefit from the sunlight (1) and something that can beat Mewtwo with ease. I'm actually thinking Snorlax or Shedinja.

Every Villain Is Lemons
07-02-2006, 01:52 AM
Try giving Latios Soul Dew, and using Exeggutor along with Groudon.

David Um
07-02-2006, 01:58 AM
Try giving Latios Soul Dew, and using Exeggutor along with Groudon.

soul dew isn't allowed in JAA, but exeggutor should be with a groudon, a good point

swimdivus
07-02-2006, 04:50 AM
what if i put shadowball on lugia instead of dragon claw... to help take care of mewtwo

oops i mean on latios...

David Um
07-02-2006, 05:26 AM
oops i mean on latios... sorry for the double post

well, I think dragon claw is better because latio's attacks sucks.

Dragon_Seeker
07-02-2006, 02:21 PM
what if i put shadowball on lugia instead of dragon claw... to help take care of mewtwo
It works in theory, but you don't have Soul Dew, Mewtwo is faster and you will be wrecked by Ice Beam.

David Um
07-02-2006, 02:50 PM
It works in theory, but you don't have Soul Dew, Mewtwo is faster and you will be wrecked by Ice Beam.

I really think he meant it on his latios.
Why latios in ubers when you don't have soul dew?

Dragon_Seeker
07-02-2006, 03:19 PM
I really think he meant it on his latios.
Why latios in ubers when you don't have soul dew?
Because this is a JAA team. Without Soul Dew, Latios effectively loses a third of his special defense (instead of having 384 max without EVs, he has 256 max without EVs). And without that special defense boost, Mewtwo can 2HKO him with Ice Beam. Therefore, Shadow Ball isn't worth it as Mewtwo coverage because you'd die first.

And I know he meant Latios because Lugia can't learn Dragon Claw...

swimdivus
07-02-2006, 04:35 PM
then how about shadowball on lugia? instead of one of the 4 moves suggested

Dragon_Seeker
07-02-2006, 07:17 PM
then how about shadowball on lugia? instead of one of the 4 moves suggested
Light Screen should cover most of Mewtwo's notable non-Selfdestruct attacks (namely Ice Beam/Thunder). Icy Wind and Light Screen should nullify most of Mewtwo's impact. Aeroblast only deals 10 less damage than Shadow Ball on Mewtwo btw.

Aeroblast damage = 100 power * 1.5 STAB = 150
Shadow Ball damage = 80 power * 2 SE damage = 160

I dunno. Maybe I'm just Mewtwo paranoid atm. I always have Shedinja on my teams to absorb Kyogres, Mewtwos, etc but whatever. Lugia should be able to deal with Mewtwo if you don't get Selfdestructed.

swimdivus
07-02-2006, 07:46 PM
i worry about the 95% accuracy of aeroblast

David Um
07-03-2006, 12:51 AM
i worry about the 95% accuracy of aeroblast

LOL, don't worry if your accuracy is not 100. It's still going to hit a lot anyway.

swimdivus
07-03-2006, 01:36 AM
is a houndoom with the early bird ability and rest worth it?

Rest
Flamethrower
Solarbeam
Crunch

David Um
07-03-2006, 02:24 AM

Rest
Flamethrower
Solarbeam
Crunch

well, I guess. Since rest last for only a turn.

Dragon_Seeker
07-03-2006, 02:38 AM

Rest
Flamethrower
Solarbeam
Crunch
A better question would be, "Does Houndoom really have the defenses to afford a turn of inactivity?"

And I wouldn't in 2v2 because you're probably better off with Exeggutor or Shiftry with Groudon or for countering Groudon.

swimdivus
07-03-2006, 02:52 AM
i was just curious on the houndoom.. he does seem a little weak defnesively to warrant a missing turn to sleep, maybe in a non uber tourney though

why a grass to counter groudon... shouldnt any of the special attackers, latios, with ice beam be able to take him out nicely?

is there anyway to obtain more rare candies in any of the games.. via some kind of contest or battle tower or something... i cant seem to find any guide that points that as a possibility

celebi
07-03-2006, 09:47 AM
you can cheat if you want:rolleyes:

Dragon_Seeker
07-03-2006, 06:07 PM
Latios works as a groudon counter, but a grass type (namely Shiftry/Exeggutor) also helps your own Groudon out and has an Earthquake resistance, which makes dropping into Earthquake easier. Although, yes, Latios already has an immunity to it. Then again, Latios doesn't outrun everything in the sunlight and lacks the threat of Explosion.

I recommended Exeggutor/Shiftry because they worked with your Groudon and helped against other Groudons.

swimdivus
07-03-2006, 11:53 PM
shiftry would also make a decent mewtwo counter with groudons sunlight assistance... hmmm

explosion
solarbeam
shadowball
protect

too bad he cant learn crunch.... oh i suppose faint attack would be better than shadowball cause of STAB

Dragon_Seeker
07-04-2006, 10:58 PM
shiftry would also make a decent mewtwo counter with groudons sunlight assistance... hmmm

explosion
solarbeam
shadowball
protect

too bad he cant learn crunch.... oh i suppose faint attack would be better than shadowball cause of STAB
If I did Shiftry, I'd probably go...

~ Fake Out
~ Explosion
~ Solar Beam
~ Shadow Ball / Protect

With Protect potentially taking Shadow Ball's place. This is because, thanks to handy dandy calculations...

Solar Beam damage = 120 * 1.5 STAB = 180
Shadow Ball damage = 80 * 2 SE damage = 160

Mewtwo's defenses are both 90 and its unlikely he's going to have invested any EVs in either. Faint Attack would deal 180 (60 * 1.5 * 2 = 180). For hitting Mewtwos, you're still going to do roughly the same with Solar Beam. The only reason Shadow Ball might deal more despite lower power is if you maxed Shiftry's attack stat or something. Granted, using Protect leaves Shiftry powerless against Shedinjas and Latias/Latios/Lugia/etc so Shadow Ball is still a viable choice...

Fake Out is insanely useful in 2v2 for grabbing free turns if you predict and do stuff correctly. It also helps out in finishing randoms with Liechi/Petaya Berries.