PDA

View Full Version : Corruption in the US Army

Alakazam
07-04-2006, 03:36 PM
So my cousin enlisted in the military recently, and started working at her unit's base in Hawaii a few weeks ago. She's a private working in supply, and most of her unit is currently deployed in Iraq.

She often needs to drive places off-base during the day while she's working, and they make her RENT her own car to get places during the normal work day. On top of that, she has to pay for her own food.

As if that weren't bad enough, the travel agency that the army reccomends for booking airline tickets for travelling between bases and such charges THREE TIMES AS MUCH as you'd pay if you were to book the tickets yourself. Geex, talk about kickbacks...and most people don't even realize that it costs more, they just go along with it since it's the reccomended agency. (and the agency is called Victory...it reminds me of 1984)

I cannot express in words my disgust for the US Army alienating and squeezing money out of their own privates. Isn't it enough that they're devoting their lives to protecting our country?

Surly Professor
07-04-2006, 04:49 PM
Believe me you'ld rather buy your own food off base.

Vehicles are often a premium. So it's not really surprising that she has to use her own.
If she keeps up the hard work, she'll soon be promoted and have a much better chance of scoring off-base wheels. She should save her reciepts from the rental car place, and claim it as a business expense on her taxes though.

The plane tickets: yeah everyone knows about that, they really do know it's more (or at least they should) but many just don't care because they're making all this money that they don't really see much of while working, and it's just more convienient to do it that way.

I wish I could squeeze money out of my privates, for then I'ld be the richest man in the world

!CeMAn
07-04-2006, 04:57 PM
I wish I could squeeze money out of my privates, for then I'd be the richest man in the world.

Had. To. Quote.

It doesn't sound right to me, either. Sounds like the Army is taking advantage of these people's willingness to bend over and take it for the privilliage of serving their country. Filthy yanks.

Alonso
07-07-2006, 02:20 AM
Reminds me of the Jews...well at least the corrupt ones. Back in the old days before Christ the Jews sacrified animals. The type of animal you sacrificed depended on your social class. Rich people sacrificed big animals. Middle class sacrificed a lamb and poor people sacrificed a small bird. When the poor came to sacrifice the bird the officials often said they couldn't sacrifice the bird that they brought because the bird was unholy or some weird thing like that. The officials said that they had to buy a bird at the market. The superiors of the officials controlled the market and sold the poor the birds at outrageous prices. Some of the stuff I said here is inaccurate but the concept is the same. But what are you going to do? That is the way governments have worked and still work.

Loyal Arcanine
07-07-2006, 12:19 PM
So my cousin enlisted in the military recently, and started working at her unit's base in Hawaii a few weeks ago. She's a private working in supply, and most of her unit is currently deployed in Iraq.

She often needs to drive places off-base during the day while she's working, and they make her RENT her own car to get places during the normal work day. On top of that, she has to pay for her own food.

As if that weren't bad enough, the travel agency that the army reccomends for booking airline tickets for travelling between bases and such charges THREE TIMES AS MUCH as you'd pay if you were to book the tickets yourself. Geex, talk about kickbacks...and most people don't even realize that it costs more, they just go along with it since it's the reccomended agency. (and the agency is called Victory...it reminds me of 1984)

I cannot express in words my disgust for the US Army alienating and squeezing money out of their own privates. Isn't it enough that they're devoting their lives to protecting our country?
Who wants to be American.

theEND
07-07-2006, 12:37 PM
That's awful. What are woman doing in the military, anyways? I know for nursing purposes as into to care for injured troops, but are they allowed in fighting? It would be wrong for a woman to be able to fight a battle in the army, that's pretty much against the law.

DaRkUmBrEoN
07-07-2006, 01:04 PM
That's awful. What are woman doing in the military, anyways? I know for nursing purposes as into to care for injured troops, but are they allowed in fighting? It would be wrong for a woman to be able to fight a battle in the army, that's pretty much against the law.
Against which law?
Women can do male jobs as good or better than men.

Besides, the usage of female soldiers provides tactical bonusses.

Seven
07-07-2006, 07:40 PM

L.
M.
A.
O.

You're SO right! women should just stick to cooking and taking care of the children, cus that's all they're really good for. Isn't there a LAW that says that? Well, this IS the land of freedom and liberty - so...I'm sure that if there isn't one yet our conservative friends, who fight for a moral society in the Congress, are making one as we speak.

My GOD. CP!. WTF. SERIOUSLY. WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU?! did you...miss the past 254654 millennia where women actually gained rights?

theEND
07-07-2006, 07:46 PM
L.
M.
A.
O.

You're SO right! women should just stick to cooking and taking care of the children, cus that's all they're really good for. Isn't there a LAW that says that? Well, this IS the land of freedom and liberty - so...I'm sure that if there isn't one yet our conservative friends, who fight for a moral society in the Congress, are making one as we speak.

My GOD. CP!. WTF. SERIOUSLY. WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU?! did you...miss the past 254654 millennia where women actually gained rights?
Yes. I was still waiting at McDonalds since there was a line and the cashier kept forgeting what the guy wanted.

Also, women can't fire guns. Everybody knows that.

InvertrevnI
07-07-2006, 07:52 PM
Congrats! You've just looked like a complete Arschloch online! :D

Women can fire guns, there's not much to it. All you have to do is aim the weapon and fire.

I wish I could squeeze money out of my privates, for then I'ld be the richest man in the world

I'm quoting that.

Alonso
07-07-2006, 10:25 PM
Bro, wtf are you talking about! This is the second time I hear a stupid comment from you. Women were nurses back in like WWII and wars in and around that time, well there still are but women can join the army now. So stop talking bullshit. I think the law is that women can't get drafted into a war. You must be some stupid kid.

? :eh:

theEND
07-07-2006, 10:31 PM
Bro, wtf are you talking about! This is the second time I hear a stupid comment from you. Women were nurses back in like WWII and wars in and around that time, well there still are but women can join the army now. So stop talking bullshit. I think the law is that women can't get drafted into a war. You must be some stupid kid.
Wtf....your brother? I'm so telling mom! xD Anyways, I mean woman not being able to carry guns into battle and stuff. All you should see are men shooting the crap out of each other. One stupid comment you made.

DaRkUmBrEoN
07-07-2006, 10:36 PM
Wtf....your brother? I'm so telling mom! xD Anyways, I mean woman not being able to carry guns into battle and stuff. All you should see are men shooting the crap out of each other. One stupid comment you made.
As much as I hate to say it, there are manly women out there. I've seen women kicking the hell out of full grown men without breaking a sweat or hitting them between the legs. So basically, that argument doesn't stand.

Besides a Roman soldier used to carry as much weight as a US Army private nowadays.

Roman = 25 kilos of weight composed out of weapon, dagger, chest protection, helmet, shin protection, arm protection.

US Army = 25 kilos of weight composed out of weapon, pistol, knife, food rations for a week or two, water for a few days, swiss army knife, helmet, bulletproof vest, communication devices.

So booyah for women being too weak to carry stuff. 25 kilo's aint that hard to carry. I, the thin dude, did that when I was like 9 years old.

InvertrevnI
07-07-2006, 10:37 PM

They can, belive it or not. Arschloch.

theEND
07-07-2006, 10:38 PM
As much as I hate to say it, there are manly women out there. I've seen women kicking the hell out of full grown men without breaking a sweat or hitting them between the legs. So basically, that argument doesn't stand.

Besides a Roman soldier used to carry as much weight as a US Army private nowadays.

Roman = 25 kilos of weight composed out of weapon, dagger, chest protection, helmet, shin protection, arm protection.

US Army = 25 kilos of weight composed out of weapon, pistol, knife, food rations for a week or two, water for a few days, swiss army knife, helmet, bulletproof vest, communication devices.

So booyah for women being too weak to carry stuff. 25 kilo's aint that hard to carry. I, the thin dude, did that when I was like 9 years old.
Really? I never knew that. Oh well. They can die if they want to die.

Seawolf
07-07-2006, 11:53 PM
Are you really surprised about that, Alakazam?

As an American myself, I can easily say that our country is practically famous for screwing its own people over. I mean, come on.

If anyone wants to flame me, go right on ahead. You know I'm right.

Every Villain Is Lemons
07-08-2006, 12:12 AM

Rofl.

Surly Professor
07-08-2006, 12:36 AM
As an American myself, I can easily say that our country is practically famous for screwing its own people over. I mean, come on.

If anyone wants to flame me, go right on ahead. You know I'm right.
I guess, but I wouldn't say we're known for it more than anywhere else on earth. It's really more of a human thing than an American thing.

The Army did right by me. I made lots of money, took some college courses for free, I did & saw things I wouldn't have had the opportunity to any other way, and I had a lot of fun doing it.
If they'd let me I'ld go through basic all over again.

silverfrost
07-08-2006, 03:05 AM
? :eh:

Yes, he's being sarcastic.

I guess, but I wouldn't say we're known for it more than anywhere else on earth. It's really more of a human thing than an American thing.

The Army did right by me. I made lots of money, took some college courses for free, I did & saw things I wouldn't have had the opportunity to any other way, and I had a lot of fun doing it.
If they'd let me I'ld go through basic all over again.

I don't feel it's a "human thing," at least not currently, seeing as the United States' Constitution leaves out some civil liberties that many other countries have already adopted. Plus, certain states' laws have further restrictions on freedom, and it seems as if a lot of Americans are fine with that. I have the same kinds of feelings toward my country as Megumi does.

And sure, it's nice that the army provides funds for your education and allows you to travel and have experiences that you haven't had before, but as Zam said, his cousin has to pay to rent a car... so that she can serve her own country? And it's not just that, but not just providing her with a cheaper alternative to the expensive agency? Shouldn't the army be helping its members and not sodomizing them for their money?

And CP, what... are you? :eh:

Seawolf
07-08-2006, 03:21 AM
And CP, what... are you? :eh:

I think he said he was Chinese, which explains the blatant sexism.

Hypocrisy is Fun
07-08-2006, 05:22 AM
I think he said he was Chinese, which explains the blatant sexism.
Meg, racism is just as bad as sexism. D:
(But he was still very wrong to say that =/)

Surly Professor
07-08-2006, 05:33 PM
Look, I'm not here to defend anything the government does, and there's no point in repeating what's already been said.
But if you're comparing the U.S. Constitution to the constitutions & national policies of other contries of the world, we are far & above more than 90% of of them in terms of human rights & the general treatment of it's people. We might not be the most progressive nation on earth on these matters, but (coming from someone who has done quite a bit of traveling) we are not internationally imfamous for gouging our own.
And if you really want to know why the military is tied up to these profit hungry corporations; it's because the people who are really in charge (the politicians) have a personal vested interest in them. So, it's not the Army you really have beef with at all, it's your own elected officials who are the ones responsible for any perceived wrong doing here.

CHAMPION Victoria
07-10-2006, 10:00 PM
To be honest, the US is far from the only country that does this. In fact, I'd go so far as to make the claim that the US is one of the least corrupt out there. Certainly, there's a prevailing interest to make a quick buck but it isn't so endemic.

A few years ago, my family and I took a trip to East Asia as part of my plan on visiting every continent on the globe. The sheer corruption we found was astonishing: it was even institutionalized! Police officers and doctors would demand *bribes*, up front, before they did anything. That's just horrid.

On the other side, your cousin had innumerable options. It's downright dishonest of the army to purportedly recommend certain flights and then get money from it, but it's not as if she didn't have the option to look around for other flights. When you're dying in a hospital or being robbed, though, you don't have much of a choice.

I cannot express in words my disgust for the US Army alienating and squeezing money out of their own privates.

If they did that to her, technically she could take them to court.

Call that an extremely unfortunate choice of words, but I doubt that it's accidental. :p

!CeMAn
07-14-2006, 04:00 AM
All you guys should just jump the border and come live in Canada. We don't even have an army; We have "Peace Keepers". The only time our military goes into combat is to clean up after the States decimates a country with heavy artillery and leaves them kicking the crap out of eachother. So that's only like... every other month.

Umbreon 1
07-30-2006, 03:50 PM
Oh, boy. here we go. Please don't shy away from reading my whole post because of its length.

Champion Victoria: unfortunately, members of the US Armed forces (of which I am one- US Navy) are not permitted to sue our services. It is in the contract we sign initially. This is really unfortunate when someone is the victim of malpractice at a military hospital. We are unable to sue our doctors.

Alakazam: Your cousin had options, even if she was unaware of them (which, being a private, I'm not surprised). It is illegal to make servicemembers perform military duties in POV's (personally owned vehicles). If her unit does not have GOV's (government owned vehicles) available, she should be reimbursed for her expenses.

With regards to the food, there are 2 things to note. If she lives on base, she should have available a dining hall. If she chooses to eat elsewhere, the Army is not responsible to pay for her food. If she lives off post, she is eligible for Comrats (or commuted rations). That means she gets paid a lump sum in her paycheck for food. Sometimes, our duties take us away from the dining hall during dining hours. Stuff like this is unaviodable. If it is proving to be that big a hardship, she could either try schuffling her schedule to accomidate the lunch hour on post, or maybe she could go to her chain of command and request partial Comrats because of it.

And with regards to the "women in the military" arguement, I'd say most are capable of doing most of the tasks asked of them. There are hiccups (like having half of the female crew of a ship come up pregnant right before a 6-month deployment), but that shouldn't be allowed to exclude them from service.

My only gripe is the disparity between physical requirements for men and women. Women are required to do far fewer push ups, sit ups, and have much more time to run for their semiannual Physical Readiness test. We are talking 20-30 less push ups and sit ups and minutes more time. Also, due to the differences in the male and female bodies, women are permitted to have 33% body fat, while men are only permitted 22%. This is a very sore spot for me, since I am being separated from the Navy for being over the 22% (but well under 33%), despite scoring well on my PRT's (an overall excellent score on my most recent test).

If women in the military truly want equality, these gaps need to be closed.

Hypocrisy is Fun
07-30-2006, 09:58 PM
And with regards to the "women in the military" arguement, I'd say most are capable of doing most of the tasks asked of them. There are hiccups (like having half of the female crew of a ship come up pregnant right before a 6-month deployment), but that shouldn't be allowed to exclude them from service.

Um, you DO know how women get pregnant right?

Umbreon 1
07-30-2006, 11:15 PM
Um, you DO know how women get pregnant right?

I was illustrating one of the major problems with women in the Navy. When you have a large number of the (more immature) female crew members getting pregnant to avoid the deployment (:rolleyes: if you want - it happens WAY too often), it can cripple the operation of the ship. The ship will get underway, with or without those crew members. It just puts a heck of a lot of pressure on those who are out on the deployment. They are left to pull longer watches (and more of them). That can kill morale in a hurry.

If you have any further questions about my meaning or my understanding of the subject, Hypocracy, please let me know.