PDA

View Full Version : Some good movesets for a battle with a rival of sorts?

matt252007
07-08-2006, 04:56 AM
This guy I'm going to battle competes at a Tournament level...so that's why I put this thread in here. Here it goes...any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Houndoom Quiet + Special attack - Speed Item: ?
Flamethrower
Crunch
Hidden Power (grass)
? (any suggestions here?)

Jolteon Rash + Special Attack - Special Defense Item: ?
Thunderbolt
Rest (all of these pokemon came from eggs...this one had Rest when hatched)
?
? (Help would be GREATLY appreciated on this one)

Kingdra Sassy + Sp Defense - Speed...Item: ?
Surf
Ice Beam
DragonBreath
Toxic?

Nidoking Brave + Attack - Speed...Item: ?
Earthquake
SludgeBomb
Return
Brick Break

Aerodactyl Serious (no effect) Item: ?
Ancient Power (used PP ups on it)
Aerial Ace
Earthquake
Steel Wing (or maybe a hidden power of sorts?)

Gardevoir Modest + Special Attack - Attack...Item: ?
Psychic
Thunderbolt
Reflect
Calm Mind

There they are...any help at all would be great appreciated...as you can see I'm not sure what Items to put on them, any help there would be appreciated as well. Thanks for taking a look!

Dragon_Seeker
07-08-2006, 04:07 PM
This guy I'm going to battle competes at a Tournament level...
Define tournament. I don't want to build a team/help a team for someone, then find out it's 2v2 ubers or something where Wobbuffet and the Lati@s are claused or something like that. Is this battle going to be done for ADV OU play? More importantly, has he heard of Netbattle? We need to know rules/regulations on this thing.

matt252007
07-08-2006, 05:06 PM
What I meant by that...was like the tournaments held state wide. This guy does use some uber Pokemon such as Groudon and Latios. If this is something you guys don't want to take your time on, I completely understand.

Dragon_Seeker
07-09-2006, 12:08 AM
What I meant by that...was like the tournaments held state wide. This guy does use some uber Pokemon such as Groudon and Latios. If this is something you guys don't want to take your time on, I completely understand.
I'm not going to sugar-coat this. In 1v1 ubers, you will need ubers of your own. Your current team does not come remotely close to resembling something that could effectively compete against anyone with a Calm Minding Kyogre/Ho-oh/Latios/Mewtwo.

However, before I make a team, please state the rules/regulations/whatnot. Also, is this a Journey Across America team for the Nintendo tournament? Because that is important for choosing items and such.

Restrictions you have would also be vital here. Such as, "I only have 2 Earthquake TMs" or "I can't get Lugia because I lack PokemonXD".

matt252007
07-09-2006, 03:24 AM
If I lead you to think this was an ACTUAL tournament fight, I apologize. The guy I'm going to be fighting HAS BEEN in tournaments, but this battle will not take place there. This is merely something that will be settled on Pokemon XD. As far as restrictions go...I COULD get up to...4 earthquakes...I think. Yeah, four. I CAN get Lugia. Is that helpful? I hope so.

Dragon_Seeker
07-09-2006, 04:15 PM
Okay, if the guy is using ubers you're going to need to use ubers of your own, I'm afraid. Latios and Groudon... the former is considered the best lead in the entire uber metagame due to how it hits hard as hell and is fast too. The latter is considered the best pokemon in the game, or at least it was for a time.

Of your current team, although it isn't a bad start for ADV OU play, it's not going to compete in ubers. That said, your best pokemon to compete in ubers are your Kingdra and Houndoom. Neither are particularly intimidating... although Kingdra is okay with Kyogre support.

I'd have a Kyogre on your team and the Lugia mentionned earlier. Lugia counters Latios and Groudon both fairly effectively with the right moveset while Kyogre strengthens your Kingdra so it can actually hit things. Because that leaves you with 3 pokemon slots, I'd consider either Latias, Latios or Mewtwo in one slot and the remaining 2 are whatever you feel is necessary, but one should be a normal resist.

matt252007
07-10-2006, 06:46 PM
Okay, if the guy is using ubers you're going to need to use ubers of your own, I'm afraid. Latios and Groudon... the former is considered the best lead in the entire uber metagame due to how it hits hard as hell and is fast too. The latter is considered the best pokemon in the game, or at least it was for a time.

Of your current team, although it isn't a bad start for ADV OU play, it's not going to compete in ubers. That said, your best pokemon to compete in ubers are your Kingdra and Houndoom. Neither are particularly intimidating... although Kingdra is okay with Kyogre support.

I'd have a Kyogre on your team and the Lugia mentionned earlier. Lugia counters Latios and Groudon both fairly effectively with the right moveset while Kyogre strengthens your Kingdra so it can actually hit things. Because that leaves you with 3 pokemon slots, I'd consider either Latias, Latios or Mewtwo in one slot and the remaining 2 are whatever you feel is necessary, but one should be a normal resist.
Thanks a bunch...those things REALLY will help my team...I can see it already. I also remember two more of his team members if that helps any. He has Latios, Groudon, Ho-oh, and Shiftry. Those are all I can remember. And..if it's not too much to ask...can I have a good moveset for a Regice for a friend of mine who is ALSO going to be fighting this guy?

Dragon_Seeker
07-10-2006, 11:59 PM
Thanks a bunch...those things REALLY will help my team...I can see it already. I also remember two more of his team members if that helps any. He has Latios, Groudon, Ho-oh, and Shiftry. Those are all I can remember. And..if it's not too much to ask...can I have a good moveset for a Regice for a friend of mine who is ALSO going to be fighting this guy?
A well-played Kyogre sounds like it could seriously mess with that team.

Regice should have something along the lines of...

~ Thunder Wave / Toxic
~ Ice Beam
~ Thunder / Thunderbolt
~ Rest
@ Leftovers

Toxic damaged and prevents any potential sweeps while Thunder Wave is just awesome for crippling overall.

Loyal Arcanine
07-11-2006, 12:12 AM
He's clearly going to build around Groudon's Drought ... if you take out his Groudon before he takes out your Kyogre you win. Though obviously letting his Groudon die will be most important thing for him to prevent, so that won't be easy.

Dragon_Seeker
07-11-2006, 01:25 AM
He's clearly going to build around Groudon's Drought ... if you take out his Groudon before he takes out your Kyogre you win. Though obviously letting his Groudon die will be most important thing for him to prevent, so that won't be easy.
True, but Groudon (and none of those pokemon listed) can really switch into Kyogre. Latios can be destroyed by Ice Beams and (yes, people use this in ubers) Blizzard. With max special attack, a Calm Minded Blizzard tends to OHKO Latios. Ice Beam is more consistent though and I would hope you're using it. Also, Kyogre gets an insanely easy switch into Shiftry, what with forcing the devil tree to waste a turn for charging Solar Beam so it eats a nasty KOing Ice Beam. Only risk when switching into a Shiftry is of eating an Explosion.

Seriously... Groudon may be the strongest pokemon in the game in terms of what it offers, how it plays and overall, but Kyogre is an absolute beast. Lategame if it's above 80% HP, you've basically won. A well-played Kyogre will sweep your opponent's team twice.

Oh, and CBRayquaza is also a very good pokemon to have on your team if you're paranoid of the weather.

matt252007
07-11-2006, 04:10 PM
True, but Groudon (and none of those pokemon listed) can really switch into Kyogre. Latios can be destroyed by Ice Beams and (yes, people use this in ubers) Blizzard. With max special attack, a Calm Minded Blizzard tends to OHKO Latios. Ice Beam is more consistent though and I would hope you're using it. Also, Kyogre gets an insanely easy switch into Shiftry, what with forcing the devil tree to waste a turn for charging Solar Beam so it eats a nasty KOing Ice Beam. Only risk when switching into a Shiftry is of eating an Explosion.

Seriously... Groudon may be the strongest pokemon in the game in terms of what it offers, how it plays and overall, but Kyogre is an absolute beast. Lategame if it's above 80% HP, you've basically won. A well-played Kyogre will sweep your opponent's team twice.

Oh, and CBRayquaza is also a very good pokemon to have on your team if you're paranoid of the weather.
Yeah, the Groudon is his centerpiece. His pride and joy so to speak. Thanks a lot for the idea for Kyogre...that'll definitely cause some damage to his team. Any idea what items I could use for mine? I'm kinda in the dark about that. Oh, if I listed the rest of the friend of mines team could you rate it as well?

Dragon_Seeker
07-12-2006, 02:06 AM
Leftovers on Lugia, Leftovers on Kyogre and probably Lum Berry, Petaya Berry or an additional Leftovers on Kingdra. Kyogre likes Leftovers keeping him in high health and Lugia absolutely loves durability. Kingdra can't take hits nearly as well as Kyogre can though, so Leftovers might not help it as much.

And yes, we can rate your friend's team.

matt252007
07-12-2006, 03:56 AM
Okay...here's my friends team

Espeon Rash...+ Special Attack - Special Defense
Psychic
Calm Mind
reflect
?

Houndoom...Rash
Flamethrower
Crunch
Hidden Power (Grass)
Sunny Day

Vaporeon...Mild
Surf
Ice Beam
?
?

Salamance...MIld
Dragon Claw
Aerial Ace
Earthquake
Flamethrower

Regice...Mild
(Moveset you suggested)

Ampharos...Quiet +Special attack - Speed
Thunderbolt
Brick Break
Light Screen
?

This is the best I could do...I don't have the team right in front of me...but you get the idea. If there is any OTHER way to take out our rival's team besides the one you gave me...maybe you could use that one?

matt252007
07-13-2006, 03:12 AM
So, uh, can anyone help me? Sorry if I sound impatient...but this person kinda needs to know what's going on before too much longer. Thanks.

Dragon_Seeker
07-13-2006, 03:55 AM
Okay. You're going to have to play insanely well if you plan to win with this bunch so be prepared to work. Without your own ubers, this is an uphill battle - let no one tell you otherwise. That said, let's take a look.

Espeon Rash...+ Special Attack - Special Defense
Psychic
Calm Mind
reflect
?

Espeon gets out-Calm Minded by Ho-oh and just about anything in Ubers. If your friend has it, I'd use Latias here because Latias is not only a very potent thing, but also because Roaring Latias tears through Ho-oh, Shiftry (barring Explosion), Groudon and basically anything with weather. Roar prevents you from losing Calm Mind wars.

Houndoom...Rash
Flamethrower
Crunch
Hidden Power (Grass)
Sunny Day

Okay. Hidden Power Grass is pointless, use Solar Beam. If your friend abuses Sunny Day with Drought, consider Toxic over Sunny Day.

Vaporeon...Mild
Surf
Ice Beam
?
?

I'm not sure what exactly this will do for you in the battle. It can't counter Groudon, it can't beat Ho-oh (Thunderbolt + Calm Mind > Vappy) and there's no way in hell it can take Latios. Replace this.

Salamance...MIld
Dragon Claw
Aerial Ace
Earthquake
Flamethrower

Okay. This is, as sad as I am to say it, the closest thing you have to a Groudon counter. And that is truly sad. I am almost feeling dirty for considering Salamence a Groudon counter but whatever. I'd really look into that Latias I mentionned earlier. Rayquaza here would probably be a good idea.

Regice...Mild
(Moveset you suggested)

Okay.

Ampharos...Quiet +Special attack - Speed
Thunderbolt
Brick Break
Light Screen
?

This really won't help you out much other than providing screen support. It's kind of sad, but it's true. I'd replace this. If you can't Toxic or Thunder Wave in the last slot.