PDA

View Full Version : Brown Vs. Board of Education of Topeka, Kansas (1954)

Matthew
05-18-2004, 02:20 AM
Today marks a 50 year anniversary for a Supreme Court case that has changed the national education of our youth. On May 17 (I think...), 1954, The supreme court justice overruled the previous verdict in the Plessy vs. Ferguson case that "seperate but equal" was constitutional, now making it "unconstitutional." This ruling began the desegregation of Public schools. It all started when a man was afraid for his daughter's saftey because the school she attended was on the other side of the rail road tracks (On the bad side of town... There was an even closer school to where they lived.)

Now... if that made anysense, I made this thread for you to discuss the diffrence of schools today then how it was before segregation was ended.

Tamer Marco
05-19-2004, 02:25 AM
It kind of feels like my schools are segregated today. In my school I live in the african american communiuty but thousands of whites live there too. In my school there are barely any white children and in the city there aren't very many black children. It's odd. :ermm:

But to a lot of schools they have many diverse nationalities and it confuses me that we really only have one.