07-23-2006, 08:54 PM
I was wondering if this is a good moveset for Altaria:

Dragon Claw
Aerial Ace
Sing
Perish Song

Alienshroom
07-23-2006, 08:58 PM
Its pretty good i would get rid of sing but thats me.

SolidSpartan525
07-23-2006, 09:00 PM
then what should I place there that imobilizes your opponent for a while?

celebi
07-23-2006, 09:01 PM
I was wondering if this is a good moveset for Altaria:

Dragon Claw
Aerial Ace
Sing
Perish Song

I like:

Dragon claw
Flamethrower
Hp(Water)
Haze

Loyal Arcanine
07-23-2006, 09:01 PM
Stick to either special or physical attacks since you can't afford to waste EV's on both attack stats with Altaria. Put Flamethrower over Aerial Ace, since physical would require Dragon Dance I'd say, which obviously is not your intention. Sing is ok. Perish Song, maybe if you pass a Mean Look but for phazing Roar is better.

celebi
07-23-2006, 09:07 PM
Stick to either special or physical attacks since you can't afford to waste EV's on both attack stats with Altaria. Put Flamethrower over Aerial Ace, since physical would require Dragon Dance I'd say, which obviously is not your intention. Sing is ok. Perish Song, maybe if you pass a Mean Look but for phazing Roar is better.

Yes and a phsycal Altaria might be:

DD
AA/fly
EQ
Toxic

Echo
07-24-2006, 01:29 PM
Yes and a phsycal Altaria might be:

DD
AA/fly
EQ
Toxic

no.

-Dragon Dance
-Earthquake
-Hidden Power [Flying]
-Rest/Fire Blast/Flamethrower

celebi
07-24-2006, 01:54 PM
no.

-Dragon Dance
-Earthquake
-Hidden Power [Flying]
-Rest/Fire Blast/Flamethrower

That is damn smogon stolen lie.What the hack with fire moves on physical poke.It can't hurt an ice.

Echo
07-24-2006, 02:13 PM
That is damn smogon stolen lie.What the hack with fire moves on physical poke.It can't hurt an ice.

Ok, mind translating that into English, fella?

Yes, that set is mentioned on Smogon, because it's the standard DDAltaria moveset. Credit for that set goes straight to Smogon from my point of view.

Fire moves for Skarmory, which doesn't get hurt by EQ or HP Flying.

also, lol @ you

Dragon_Seeker
07-24-2006, 02:39 PM
Umm, you do realize Smogon doesn't update their pokedex, right? Or it least it happens rarely.

~ Dragon Dance
~ Earthquake
~ Hidden Power Flying
~ Steel Wing / Sing / Rest / Ice Beam
@ Leftovers

DD Altaria sucks but that's what works. Here's why:

- Altaria is UU, therefore you don't need Flamethrower for Skarmory because using Altaria in OU is just stupid. If people ***** about Steelix, fair, but Steelix is also OU. :neutral:
- Natural Rest is fine, but then you won't kill anything with Altaria. Ever. At all.
- Steel Wing is a very solid option because Solrock exists and is a high UU.
- Ice Beam can be used for Gligar because Gligar is a high UU and disposing of him early is very useful.
- Rest's only purpose is for absorbing Thunder Waves from Hypno and whatnot.
- Sing should be considered because Sleep is insane.
- In UU, the only thing you hit with Flamethrower is Vileplume. Note how you already hit him with a STAB Hidden Power and between 4x resist to grass, 2x to fire and natural cure collectively, you kind of own him anyways. So, like, why bother with Flamethrower? And it's not like Vileplume's even OHKOed by it anyways.

In any event, I'd just use something like this...

~ Heal Bell
~ Dragon Claw
~ Sing
~ Rest
@ Leftovers

Just because. It's a bland set on a bland pokemon. Sing / Heal Bell might be cool if you can pull it off. Rest keeps you alive.

celebi
07-24-2006, 03:01 PM
Ok, mind translating that into English, fella?

Yes, that set is mentioned on Smogon, because it's the standard DDAltaria moveset. Credit for that set goes straight to Smogon from my point of view.

Fire moves for Skarmory, which doesn't get hurt by EQ or HP Flying.

also, lol @ you

Smogon doesn't always give the best sets but good ones.Fire moves for skarmory haa :susp: Without any EV it would just be useless.Use it if you will make a spc attacker.LOL @me why is that I guess it is you that should be laughed at.Dragon seeker gave out a good moveset.Great for UU teams.That would take the place of blissey maybe with heal bell.

Echo
07-24-2006, 03:03 PM
Yes, I do realize that. I also realize that Smogon's dex is made in a little stupid manner, because it shows good movesets for UU Pokes, which would be 'usable' in the OU metagame, which isn't how it should be though. And to be honest, I'd be surprised if the poster of this thread actually cared about metagames. Not that that would matter anyways.

Sing can be considered, but due to the lack of accuracy and the amount of Insomniacs (Banette, Hypno mainly) in UU, I don't really think it's worth it.

Though, in general, Altaria isn't worth using in UU with all those possible Pokemon running around with Ice Beam, because of Gligar.

Edit: @ celebi, yes lol at you, because you can't spell. Also, Granbull/Vileplume works better as a Heal Beller/Aromatherapist in UU than Altaria. True, Smogon doesn't necessarily always have the best movesets, but most of the time.

Also, Flamethrower from a non SpAtk EV'd Altaria will 3HKO a Skarmory with no SpDef EVs and max HP. And if you put some EVs into Sp Atk, you can easily 2HKo a Skarmory. Though, it doesn't matter because Skarmory is OU, as DS mentioned before.

celebi
07-24-2006, 04:09 PM
Edit: @ celebi, yes lol at you, because you can't spell. Also, Granbull/Vileplume works better as a Heal Beller/Aromatherapist in UU than Altaria. True, Smogon doesn't necessarily always have the best movesets, but most of the time.

Also, Flamethrower from a non SpAtk EV'd Altaria will 3HKO a Skarmory with no SpDef EVs and max HP. And if you put some EVs into Sp Atk, you can easily 2HKo a Skarmory. Though, it doesn't matter because Skarmory is OU, as DS mentioned before.
First of all I'm not american/English so can you spell my language correctly?Yet I'm pretty sure that I know english better than you do.This is just a forum that I wright and pass.Yes Vileplume is better I know that but Altaria can be a heal beller in an UU team.Waste EV on spc attack?never.Instead I would go with my spc attack team and OHKO him with a single hit.3OHKO do you belive that skormony will wait for 3 turns.If thinks goes bad it will roar and his spikes will hurt.

Dragon_Seeker
07-24-2006, 04:39 PM
Yes, I do realize that. I also realize that Smogon's dex is made in a little stupid manner, because it shows good movesets for UU Pokes, which would be 'usable' in the OU metagame, which isn't how it should be though. And to be honest, I'd be surprised if the poster of this thread actually cared about metagames. Not that that would matter anyways.

Sing can be considered, but due to the lack of accuracy and the amount of Insomniacs (Banette, Hypno mainly) in UU, I don't really think it's worth it.
Let's be fair. What is Hypno or Banette going to do to you after you get a Dragon Dance? And while Hypno is a valid argument, Banette is hardly something to be worth noting because nobody (and I do mean nobody) uses it. Also, it should be noted that after 1 Dragon Dance, Banette is outsped regardless of its EVs and will die to HP Flying/Earthquake long before it can KO with Shadow Ball. Will-O-Wisp is nullified by Natural Cure. It should be noted that Hypno can't do much to Altaria other than Thunder Wave it and force a switch. And it still takes a hit when it does that.

Though, in general, Altaria isn't worth using in UU with all those possible Pokemon running around with Ice Beam, because of Gligar.
Actually, it's the fact that you can't setup Dragon Dance, the fact that Altaria's +1 attack still gives it a stat lower than that of a common CBer (hi Swellow/Fearow/whatever) and it has a rock weakness that basically makes Solrock and Aggron love it forever PLUS the Ice weakness. Altaria's movepool and stat layout scream for defense but its typing says a very adamant, "NO!"

Okay, if you don't 2HKO Skarmory with Flamethrower, you use freaking Fire Blast for the higher power. It's a simple rule. Don't waste handfuls of EVs on a stat you're going to use for ONE pokemon if you're just using it for that ONE pokemon. Especially when you have a move that doesn't require you to waste EVs that's readily available.

pokeplayer66
07-25-2006, 08:58 PM
if your going to use it as a perish trapper you must have mean look, but really, use jynx for the accuracy of the sleep move is 20% higher

celebi
07-26-2006, 10:17 AM
if your going to use it as a perish trapper you must have mean look, but really, use jynx for the accuracy of the sleep move is 20% higher

Jynx kisses way too good. :wink:

pokeplayer66
07-26-2006, 12:57 PM
or gengar, gengars faster